Ok, I REALLY do hate Soarin' (No I really do)

mickster

But for clarity if you get right in someone’s kisser don’t be surprised at a similar reaction.

Would you honestly describe his reaction as being equal to anything I've said to him? If anyone's reaction was OTT, I'd say it was his.

Just out of interest why are you so keen to have someone suspended, if you don’t mind me saying it does seem to be a little bit OTT.

I'm not really trying to get anyone suspended. I was stating that according to the rules as I understand them, personal attacks against another poster can be grounds for suspension. I've seen many many examples where someone is simply disagreeing with someone else's point and it gets misinterpreted as a personal attack. But yet here we have a clear cut, indisputable example of a personal attack and the guy can't even offer a serious apology. The best he can offer is "I'm sorry, I guess" and "Geez Dude, get over it". If you ask me, this is still operating in "2nd grader" mode.

mickster

Hey guys can we please get back to the topic of attacking me for my feelings and stop attacking each other.

:drevil:

I have to say, I've been surprised to see that you haven't gotten more attacked than you have for suggesting everyone's beloved Soarin' is anything less than "amazing" (one of the most overused terms on this board). It has been pleasantly refreshing to see how many people have agreed with your comments, and you can count me among them. I have always felt Soarin' is okay, but it is far from groundbreaking.

You have actually inspired me to consider starting a similar thread and calling it "I hate Expedition Everest". Now I GUARANTEE you'll see some attacking on that thread!

justducky78

I don't hate Soarin. No, it's not the most exciting ride, but it's just really enjoyable. It's a ride that makes me happy - one that virtually everyone can enjoy. I always look around when we're up in the air, and everyone always has this huge smile on their faces. It shows some wonderful aerial views of California and is much better than a regular IMAX movies IMHO. Once, there was a little girl next to me who was paralyzed, maybe autistic as well. Her parents had to lift her into the seat and strap her in, but she just loved it. It was one of those moments that made me a little teary eyed.

I think it was a great addition to Epcot, unlike Mission Space, which I feel doesn't live up to the hype. Half the population can't even ride it and if they do, walk off sick. I know, I know - it has the green version now, but it's still pretty claustrophobic for a lot of people. Soarin is just a relaxing, ride that puts you in a happy place - not like you need it at WDW!!

worthog352

all i say is....why ride soarin a few times when you could ride test track and mission space 3 times and go around to each different section in the world showcase and mabey even grab some ice cream along the way.........just a thought

LoriMistress

I was somewhat dissapointed at the fact that not only they use DCA's and yet not make a new one for EPCOT. But the one thing that this attraction lacked..TRANSITIONS!!! For gosh sakes we have a beautiful view of the golden gate bridge and then JUMP CUT to a river then JUMP CUT to the orange field then say it with me JUMP CUT...They could have done much better on flying through clouds to the next scene.

Exactly. The transistion suck on this ride. It just jumps into another location. I guess I'm just tired of Disney just rehashing attractions to other parks instead of trying to come up with something original.

jedimaster1227

I really do HATE Soarin'! This attraction has a good concept and the first few times I went on the attraction it was ok at best. But when it comes down to it it is a film based attraction and not even that good of one. The film has no fades, no transitions between scenes, and no real overall theme (you are not hang gliding) other then a tour of California. All film attractions have a shelf life of X amount of years before something needs to happen with it, think of all Circle-Vision/simulators/old E.P.C.O.T. Center attractions (any of which I would wait for over Soarin'). Plus adding in the fact you smell things, that they have been doing since Horizons in 1983, people seem to love it.

The attraction's concept was made to be one that could be easily switched out. That is the ease of a film-based attraction. One thing that all filmmakers and editors learn in film school and classes is that you don't need fancy transitions to make a film look great. There is a reason for Soarin' not having transitions- your awe on the clarity and beauty of what you are seeing is supposed to captivate you while the music's beat allows for a fast cut between each shot. You can always make horrible footage look good with great editing, but to take beautiful footage and edit it without using transitions, just music is gold. That was the method that I have been taught in film school for the past 5 years... The smell is an added sensory immersion technique that, while not new, still helps to immerse you, which is what the attraction is meant to do.

Sorin' is not a ground breaking attraction by any means. Other then the way you are lifted into the air, and of course much less themeing, it is just Back To The Future upside down with out as much motion. I can understand the first time rider being amazed at it (much like people were with Star Tours or Circle- Vision back in the 50's) but I do not see the draw in riding it more then 2 or 3 times and I would never wait more then 15 maybe 30 (with a first time rider) for it. I know I, as with most of you, are not normal Disney/theme park fans but still I will say it I hate Sorin'!

Let the attack commence,
J

True, it is not ground breaking in any form other than the ride system's multi-tiered lift setup. Though Back to the Future was similar in its use of IMAX screen technology, the two attractions were very different in their systems, speed and smoothness.

zao

I just wanted to add, that I feel the same way a lot of you do.... Its a great attraction.... but it comes no where close to the hype... I have seen a 300 minute wait! I wouldnt not wait 300 minutes to in REAL LIFE ACTUALLY HANG GLIDE OVER THE REAL GOLDEN GATE. its absoulte nonsense. Whenever I go to epcot, i try and nab the fastpass for soarin first, if they are all gone, than forget it.... it is a great attraction, i wouldnt call it a great ride though, it doesnt belong in the same category as rocknrollcoaster, tot, everest, ofr space mountain... its more of a family favorite that you can enjoy with your great grandmother.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We do not have 20min waits during the busy time at all. Soarin' Over Ca during the busy time can have just as long a wait here as it does there, but Epcot's queue is inside. During the off season on both sides of the US the wait is about the same. During the busy time again both waits can be about the same. Just because we are smaller does not mean less people are waiting for our attractions.

J

The difference is DLR tends to have busy DAYS during peak seasons and WDW has busy SEASONS.. plus its not just the prime rides that have waits.. its all but the 'take a break' attractions like CoP, TTA, etc. While 60+mins waits are possible at DLR, they are not what people expect for most attractions. Yes, for the big ones like Indy, Space, ToT, etc.. but how often does the Autopia wait exceed 90mins? Or 60mins for the Orbitron?

But enough off-topic for me.. :)

Jerm

Original Poster
While 60+mins waits are possible at DLR, they are not what people expect for most attractions. Yes, for the big ones like Indy, Space, ToT, etc.. but how often does the Autopia wait exceed 90mins? Or 60mins for the Orbitron?

But enough off-topic for me.. :)

Actually almost every day this past week both of those have been at or above those wait times. And it is Astro Orbitor;) and we do have seasons here not just days. This entire past week has been very busy, yes we might not have weeks of big crowds during spring break we still do have busy seasons.

J

D

disneyrocks55

Please stop makeing i hate this ride threads.It hurts some people.If no one stops these threads I will contact a mod. I did just now contacted a mod.SO STOP!!!!!!!

CThaddeus

Please stop makeing i hate this ride threads.It hurts some people.If no one stops these threads I will contact a mod. I did just now contacted a mod.SO STOP!!!!!!!

So you threatened to contact an MOD, gave no time for people to "stop" (not that we would), and then contacted an MOD all in the same post? Wow. I think I'll start a thread: I hate when people can't deal with opposing viewpoints from theirs and jump the gun."

lilclerk

I cried the first time I rode Soarin' (though to be fair, I cried a lot of giddy tears that trip.) But I definitely agree that the ride isn't all it's cracked up to be. I mean sure, it's a fun diversion, but there is no way in heck that I would wait more than 30 minutes for it. Plus, I mean, California footage? It just seems... inappropriate. If it were a USA or World theme, it would be slightly more enjoyable =)
And what's with all the black spots on the film? :eek: I stared at those a lot because I thought they were birds... but they were not..

St205

You know,the ride's OK but not something you wanna wait for more than 1 hour.
I got the 3rd row the first time and some guy next to me said:"They should call this Snorin". :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom