Ohana or Coral Reef?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
To be honest, neither one is a favorite of mine, but they are very different experiences, so consider that compared to your personal preferences.

Coral Reef has had an inconsistent reputation, but generally more positive as of late. It is more of a traditional restaurant with of course the background of the aquarium to look at. As prices are a bit higher, you would think there would be less children, but its not always the case, particularly for earlier hours.

O'hana is an all you can eat meal, so if you do like quantity, it has it's appeal. If however you enjoy smaller well prepared portions, it may feel like a waste. As was said before, with the "family" games, it can be a bit noisy. Our experience is that there is some poor wait staff at O'hana (some very good as well). We have had to remind servers to bring certain offerings (because different people bring different items, you can be skipped, and if we weren't aware of the menu, we wouldn't have gotten them.

For the price of O'hana, or even Coral Reef, if it were just DW and I, we'd do Narcoossee's, California Grill, Flying Fish or Artist Point.

disneygirl1

Both are great and I had good meals at both... I vote for Coral Reef simply beacuse it is a more quiet atmosphere that I think you and the DW might enjoy. O'hana can get a bit loud at times.

jen2009

We have never had bad food or service at Ohanas. We like to eat later so we can watch the firworks at MK at night.
As for Coral Reef, we went there just for the aquarium. The food was not worth the price. I would rather go for dessert at Coral Reef than an actual meal. Everyone we know who has eaten there tells us the same thing, but we had to try it for are self. It was what they said just eat Coral Reef for dessert.
I would try both because everyone's expierence is different. My vote is for Ohana's. Had our wedding reception there.:)

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Of course their menus are oriented toward different cuisine styles.

If you're not aware, you're able to "book" a diver at the Coral Reef to help celebrate special occasions. They helped us celebrate our nieces' first visit last year. They dove in front of the window in front of our table, then held up a sign that said something like "Happy First Disney Vacation, Natalie & Maureen." It's only available certain hours of certain days. But the price was right: Pure Magical Pixie Dust. And it made our evening very special and memoriable.

O'Hana's food and service for us was great, too. But if you're wanting seats next to the windows, to see WISHES or the boat parade, you're at the mercy of what seats are open. At least the Coral Reef has "theatre style" seating, so even if you're not at a table next to the aquarium, you'll probably still be able to see it from any table.

Love them both! That said, Le Cellier is tops, IMHO!

Good eats....

Can you still do this? I thought I read somewhere that they stopped doing the divers this year. Hope I'm wrong - that's a great experience, especially for kids.

DBlackwell

Diving @ Coral Reef

We arranged through one of the managers, Debbi, I believe her name was, for our trip late MAY 2008.

I haven't heard that it isn't being offered any more, but I can't say that I've looked into it. I would suggest you search for "Debbie" in some related threads, and contact her. Of course, you could also call the restaurant directly and ask if it's still available. But Debbi is the manager you want to confirm with.

Post your findings here. I'd be interested to know if that's changed.

Good Luck!

emaginear

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input! I guess we will stick with our res at CR and try O'hana on the next trip! I can't wait our trip is only 20 days away!!!!!:sohappy: You all are great and your input was awesome!

Lucky

I had my worst Disney dining experience ever at Coral Reef, very very poor quality food, overpiced, kids running around everywhere, and very poor service.

Reviews are up at http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Coral-Reef-Restaurant/Reviews.htm
Kids run around everywhere at 'Ohana too. In fact the CMs organize the running around. Coral Reef was relatively peaceful when we were there.

They're both nice, but in very different ways. I'd check out the reviews as Steve suggests and also the menus of course.

Dznycrzy

My vote...O'Hana's dinner

Why?
1. The food- amazing
2. Dessert- the best bread pudding in the world
3. Night time fireworks during dinner- the music is pumped in from the park and the views are spectacular
4. Atmosphere!
5. Great service- the chef even came out to explain a question I had about the menu

Mickey is King

Coral Reef is pretty good... Been there a few times. Lots of seaffod on the menu, but also other stuff.

I had the Mahi- not bad, only when I was on Maui did I have better.

Poly is ultra COOL though

Flip a coin

Mickey is King

DH & I love both places (we've only been to each one once) but if I had to pick one I would go with Ohana. We're doing that one again this year, but decided to do Garden Grill instead of Coral Reef this time.

Garden Grill is cool..... we just didn't like the menu. food was prepared well enough, just didn't float our boat...We're glad we experienced it though.

zifster

It seems like I remember about a year or so ago, that one of the cocktails served at WDW was voted best cocktail in Central Florida or something, and it seems as though the drink was served at Ohana. Does that sound familiar to anyone, or am I remembering incorrectly?

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Ohana we did not like it one bit. The dessert was good but everything else was dry and chewy. The best part of the meal (The Shrimp) was even annoying because its peel and eat.

Go to Coral Reef.

Anselgrey23

I love Ohana. I made my priority settings for our upcoming trip, Ohana is my favorite restaurant in all of Disney... I always recommend people eat there. The food is amazing and it never stops. You can not beat it for the price.

Worktillidie

Ohana or Coral reef

I have eaten at both--coral reef food not great but great atmosphere, nice waiter-----Ohana for breakfest nice selection nice atmosphere, nice waitress-----sooooooooo definitely OHANA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom