Ohana Menu Change

goofyfan13

Original Poster
I did a search and didn't find anything so I figured I'd post.

After talking with our server, Ohana is in the process of changing the menu.
They have already changed the rice to a kind of cheesy-potato dish that they make(A good change in my opinion those potatoes were amazing!). They have also added sesame seeds or something like that on the chicken wings(doesn't effect the taste too much). In the future, they are switching from grilling the shrimp, to steaming them. The server said it will still be marinated the same, just cooked differently. And finally, the news that will probobly shock many people, the pineapple and caramel is going bye-bye. They will be replacing it with a new specialty bread pudding. As always I will reserve my judgement until the foods are replaced, but the pineapple news was a little sadening to me. Just thought I would pass this info on.

DiPSU224

Nooooooooo! The rice they serve is literally my favorite thing to eat in WDW. It is so good! I'm sad to see the pineapple go too. It's always so refreshing to finish the meal off with cold fresh fruit.

Oh well, I guess nothing stays the same forever.

goofyfan13

Original Poster
DiPSU224 said:
Nooooooooo! The rice they serve is literally my favorite thing to eat in WDW. It is so good! I'm sad to see the pineapple go too. It's always so refreshing to finish the meal off with cold fresh fruit.

Oh well, I guess nothing stays the same forever.

I agree that the rice was quite good, but you must try these potatoes that they make now, they are so good. Too bad you can't get both though.

speck76

from my understanding....the shrimp will now be served in a bowl, and will not be "all-you-can-eat".....you will get one bowl for your table, and when it is gone, it is gone.

BRER STITCH

WOW!

The more I thought about this it occurred to me...THIS issue is a prime example of a "last straw" kind of thing. :lol:

As small as it sounds, changes like this are really a huge example of the real problem with Disney (and indeed, MANY other corporations!) sometimes. The whole "even though it's not broken, lets fix it " mentality is baffling.

There seem to be so many other issues that could use some attention, whereas I've never read or heard a complaint about the menu items at O'Hana. I love the place. Many others do to. In fact, guests simply love the "special" quality of the menu, which features many foods not available anywhere else in WDW.

Steamed Shrimp instead of Grilled Shrimp? Find piles of it at Cape May.
Bread Pudding instead of Pineapple and Warm caramel Sauce? Pick any random buffet.
WDW "Cheesy" Scalloped Potatoes instead of Polynesian Fried Rice? How about getting those at a dozen other restaurants on property instead.

One by one, these small changes take place, perhaps resulting in another case of someobody losing something (ie. "The O'HANA EXPERIENCE") that was an important part of their WDW vacation plans or memories.

It really is little straws like this that finally snap the camels back sometimes, and its baffling to sit by and wonder why, we as guests have a better view of it happening than those directly involved in the decision making.

:veryconfu

righttrack

I'm sure the potatoes are good but they seem an odd match for a Polynesian theme.

Shrimp Cocktail = boring! no matter how good.

This was something that definitely was not broken, and therefore should not be fixed. Raise the price, if you must, but do not affect the quality of this wonderful meal.

Sounds to me like they are taking a beating on MYW+D, if you asked me, and are looking for ways to bring the cost down. Likely this is the reason for the shrimp metamorphasis and the bread pudding (costs pennies) versus fresh pineapple. I think bringing the potatoes in is to artificially boost the flavor of the overall menu.:rolleyes:

brich

When I first heard of this change, I considerded cancelling my PS. I guess I'll give it a try. I for one have really enjoyed the menu there and thats why it is a place we eat every trip. We shall see. :veryconfu

The part that kills me is how on Earth do you justify no pineapple at a Polynesian themed resort? Bread pudding? Are you for real? We may be looking at our last meal at O'hana... :rolleyes:

SANDKRUSER

My newsletter from Allears.net said the cheesy potato replacement was already in place and the pineapple was going to be implemented in a week or so. I, too, have reservations for mid-October and am very disappointed. The rice and especially the pineapple were one of my favorite things. My son loves both of these and the shrimp was his favorite. Wondering if I want to keep my reservations. :(

speck76

BRER STITCH said:
WOW!

The more I thought about this it occurred to me...THIS issue is a prime example of a "last straw" kind of thing. :lol:

As small as it sounds, changes like this are really a huge example of the real problem with Disney (and indeed, MANY other corporations!) sometimes. The whole "even though it's not broken, lets fix it " mentality is baffling.

There seem to be so many other issues that could use some attention, whereas I've never read or heard a complaint about the menu items at O'Hana. I love the place. Many others do to. In fact, guests simply love the "special" quality of the menu, which features many foods not available anywhere else in WDW.

Steamed Shrimp instead of Grilled Shrimp? Find piles of it at Cape May.
Bread Pudding instead of Pineapple and Warm caramel Sauce? Pick any random buffet.
WDW "Cheesy" Scalloped Potatoes instead of Polynesian Fried Rice? How about getting those at a dozen other restaurants on property instead.

One by one, these small changes take place, perhaps resulting in another case of someobody losing something (ie. "The O'HANA EXPERIENCE") that was an important part of their WDW vacation plans or memories.

It really is little straws like this that finally snap the camels back sometimes, and its baffling to sit by and wonder why, we as guests have a better view of it happening than those directly involved in the decision making.

:veryconfu

Changes do not take place for "no reason whatsoever".....there had to be some type of catalyst to initiate the change.......

I had not heard that they shrimp would not be grilled, just that they would now be served in a bowl, and not "all you can eat"....most likely this is because shrimp is not cheap, and there are many people that think all-you-can-eat means "sit around and pig-out for hours on end". It sounds like the casual shrimp eater will still get plenty to eat, but the pigs that used to take advantage of the menu may no longer be as satisfied.

Shrike

<!--StartFragment -->Fresh and new things are important to the success of any business. Growth does not come from stagnancy.

Acquiesce!

Cri-Kee

Memories

It seems that every year I lose a little more of what I love most about WDW. It is great to get new rides and experiences, but to lose the things that make my WDW vactions special is heart breaking. I guess I will have to add Ohanas to my list. I am very sad to hear that the pinnapples and caramel are no longer going to be served. It seems to me that each year WDW brings itself closer to the ordinary. The little things that make WDW special is the reason I travel over 1000 miles to go there. I love WDW and hate to be negative but it is hard when these things happen.

Yellow Shoes

Bread pudding??
May I just say :hurl: No wait----that's what it looks like to me.

However, I wish I did like it, because I would make it all the time at home with the stale bread we accumulate.

Perhaps it is part of a campaign to make WDW more "green"--recycle, re-use, etc.

The leftover pineapple/coconut bread will make excellent bread pudding (if I liked that sort of thing...)

The last time we ate at the Garden Grille I was primed for the apple cobbler. But we were there at holiday time (Jan 1-8) and were served their special holiday dessert--bread pudding. What a disappointment!!

Pioneer Hall

Those potatoes were amazing, much better than the rice (IMO). I also think the sound of the pudding is more appetizing than the pineapple.

KnK

speck76 said:
Changes do not take place for "no reason whatsoever".....there had to be some type of catalyst to initiate the change.......

I had not heard that they shrimp would not be grilled, just that they would now be served in a bowl, and not "all you can eat"....most likely this is because shrimp is not cheap, and there are many people that think all-you-can-eat means "sit around and pig-out for hours on end". It sounds like the casual shrimp eater will still get plenty to eat, but the pigs that used to take advantage of the menu may no longer be as satisfied.

It is possible that shrimp is being limited because of Katrinia. The region hit has strong shrimp boating ties. Industry could have taken a hit, cause the price to increase. This is just a best guess.

wannabeBelle

DisneyInsider said:
Those potatoes were amazing, much better than the rice (IMO). I also think the sound of the pudding is more appetizing than the pineapple.
I can totally hang with the potatoe thing. I love potatoes and there was some flavoring in the rice I never really cared for but no PINEAPPLE???????? :cry: :cry: :cry: Belle

darthdarrel

goofyfan13 said:
I did a search and didn't find anything so I figured I'd post.

After talking with our server, Ohana is in the process of changing the menu.
They have already changed the rice to a kind of cheesy-potato dish that they make(A good change in my opinion those potatoes were amazing!). They have also added sesame seeds or something like that on the chicken wings(doesn't effect the taste too much). In the future, they are switching from grilling the shrimp, to steaming them. The server said it will still be marinated the same, just cooked differently. And finally, the news that will probobly shock many people, the pineapple and caramel is going bye-bye. They will be replacing it with a new specialty bread pudding. As always I will reserve my judgement until the foods are replaced, but the pineapple news was a little sadening to me. Just thought I would pass this info on.

I do not mind menue changes, but what strikes me is that this new menue has nothing "Polynesian" How do they think it is going to enhance the "Experience" of Ohana? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom