Ohana dinner

bigrigross

Ill let you know next Sunday. Have a reservation next Saturday with a reservation for 9.

Had dinner on the 4th . It didnt feel rushed at all this time. We spent maybe an hour and a half there. Makes me wonder if Petes rant made any difference. Way different experience than my one in September last year.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I have an 8:50 dinner reservation for a night that is scheduled to have 9 or 915 fireworks. Like someone else said, I will not be rushed through a meal.

You should move that up to 8:30 if you can. At 8:50 people will be camping and you might not get sat until after the fireworks.

Duckberg

Have been to Ohana's four times, last time almost 2 years ago. We were planning for a return visit in October, but based upon recent YouTube and TripAdvisor reviews "NO"! 1. Appears quality of food being purchased (eg: beef) to cook has declined. 2. Rushed atmosphere with all food given to you almost all at once. 3. Disappearing wait staff who don't offer you seconds, refill beverage glasses etc.. There is a "pattern" in these negative reviews which maybe above & beyond just Ohana's Head Chef & Manager??? :arghh:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ohana will need to put their "A" game on if they're going to beat out the Brazilian pavilion competition that's coming...

Hcalvert

Have been to Ohana's four times, last time almost 2 years ago. We were planning for a return visit in October, but based upon recent YouTube and TripAdvisor reviews "NO"! 1. Appears quality of food being purchased (eg: beef) to cook has declined. 2. Rushed atmosphere with all food given to you almost all at once. 3. Disappearing wait staff who don't offer you seconds, refill beverage glasses etc.. There is a "pattern" in these negative reviews which maybe above & beyond just Ohana's Head Chef & Manager??? :arghh:
We've been going to 'Ohana every year for at least the last 6 years. This time during our July trip, we were disappointed with the food and service, so we have decided to go somewhere else for our January trip. Some of my issues:

-steak served too rare
-no coconut race
-towels brought out during dessert
-server not really checking in
-shrimp overcooked
-took forever to get our check and pay to leave

Needless to say, I was really disappointed and embarrassed that I recommended that my brother and his family eat there.

Duckberg

We've been going to 'Ohana every year for at least the last 6 years. This time during our July trip, we were disappointed with the food and service, so we have decided to go somewhere else for our January trip. Some of my issues:

-steak served too rare
-no coconut race
-towels brought out during dessert
-server not really checking in
-shrimp overcooked
-took forever to get our check and pay to leave

Needless to say, I was really disappointed and embarrassed that I recommended that my brother and his family eat there.

Hcalvert, thank for posting your recent experience @ Ohana's. Last time we were there the disappearing wait staff was a major issue. Disney has a problem with the food quality, cooking and service that is "NOT" being addressed for the high price point they are charging. Saw one review describing Ohana's as "Panda Express" with better decor. Wake up Disney!!! :mad:

aladdin2007

Hcalvert, thank for posting your recent experience @ Ohana's. Last time we were there the disappearing wait staff was a major issue. Disney has a problem with the food quality, cooking and service that is "NOT" being addressed for the high price point they are charging. Saw one review describing Ohana's as "Panda Express" with better decor. Wake up Disney!!! :mad:

yeah recently its gone downhill, we felt the same way at the end of June. Our food was good and all, but the steak is not being cooked through, servers are very abrupt and rushed; all the food is piled at you at once by so many different staff that there is no order to any of it, and I could not figure out why the hot cloths come out at the very end instead of the start. The dessert has become bla, the cheapest thing they can come up with/ generic ice cream. So I understand the current sentiments here.

Wendy Pleakley

I found the service last time I ate there (2017) an improvement over previous visits. In the past, waiters walked around with the meats and it was a waiting game for the one you wanted to get to your table. Last time, my waiter brought me what I wanted when I wanted it which was more convenient. Don't recall feeling rushed.

Moving people through restaurants, especially popular ones, does seem to be Disney's goal more than ever. Within minutes of sitting down they've got your appetizer order and brought it out. You can bet they'll have your main course ready the second you finish any appy's, if not sooner.

On my last trip, the difference at Universal was so noticeable. They run their restaurants like you'd expect in the "real world". Courses are served at a more normal pace.

piglet1

They did this to my family last year in September. Had meat skewers out before the drinks and apps even arrived. I declined all the food until the drinks got there and tried to get my server to slow down the meal. Declined the meat until we enjoyed our apps. You can tell they were annoyed, but I am not spending 60 dollars per person to be rushed like fast food.

A few years ago, we asked them to hold up on the meats until we had our drinks, and they didn't come back! We practically had to chase them down to get some! I think they were going to get to us when they came by to see if other diners wanted seconds.

Dave B

This is crazy to read, we have never had a bad experience there. We ate there last November and loved it, in fact we have it booked three times on our September trip. Some of the complaints I do not understand.

1. If you have to ask for a second round of food, what is the big deal.
2. If the meat is not cooked to your satisfaction, send it back and ask for more and tell them how you like it, we like our Steak well done, if it is red, we ask for a different skewer and they always bring it back like we like it.
3. I am not sure what everyone means by rushed service, if we are not ready for the next course we just let the waiter/waitress know that we are not ready. They always accommodate.

AND AT THE END OF THE DAY

They get tipped on the SERVICE they provide, there is no mandatory minimum or maximum, you tip based on the service they provide you, if the service sucks, let them know by the tip, if the service is GREAT, let them know by the tip, seems like an easy formula to me

We have a little test it has seemed to work very well at restaurants and always is a good gauge for us on the type of service we are going to get.

We get beer and sodas usually, BUT WE ALWAYS ASK FOR WATER, if we have to drink the water because the sodas and beer have no been refilled, that is great indicator, you should try it, it does translate pretty well

Weather_Lady

Apologies for jumping on an off-topic tangent, but as others said, don't let your server rush you: don't be afraid to say, "No, I'm not ready for that course yet. Please come back in a few minutes..." If you want to be there long enough to see there fireworks, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to.

Another tip based on past experience (for 'Ohana, and any other WDW restaurant): Make it clear that you're willing to wait a little longer for a better table (in your case, one with a good view), and don't be too shy to politely say, "no thank you" to a poorly-situated one. Our last two dinners at 'Ohana were badly marred by our table locations (one in front of an ugly kitchen back doorway with a dingy tile wall and dirty bins and buckets piled on the floor; and the second in front of the public lobby restrooms, practically outside the restaurant and with the constant sound of flushing toilets punctuating each course), and I have only myself to blame because I didn't speak up.

Last edited:

Wall-e

I read this forum before our trip last week and was scared the Ohana I knew from years ago was gone however don't believe every negative thing you read on the internet. I am not discounting any of the bad experiences anyone on this forum had but do want to share a very positive one we had.

Our reservation was for 7:30 and we got seated by 7:45. We had a table of 8 and did not ask to wait for a fireworks view. The server turned us from the bread counter and said we lucked out tonight because we had the best seat in the house to view the fireworks. She proceeded to direct us tothe front most corner of the room and we were beside ourselves. Even though I took the hostess's comment about our seating for the fireworks to mean that she expected us to be there until they started my wife and I were still aware of the of the 45 minute express meals that befell some on this thread. We told everyone with us to take their time to try to ensure we still would be there an hour later for the fireworks.

While the service was still on the fast side once 8:45 hit our server told us she would bring out our dessert so we had time to enjoy it while the fireworks were going on. There was no rush to leave and once the fireworks were over our table (and most around us) signed our checks and left. We definitely will be making our future reservations at this time.

As for the food it was spot on and agreed by our entire party as the best we had all week. Granted our meals were not on the level of Yachtsman but we did have LeCelier, HDDR, Whispering Canyon, Trattoria Breakfast (Steak was delicious), Garden Grill (Breakfast), and Royal Table (breakfast).

disney4life2008

I am here now. ADR was at 930pm and got seated at 945pm. Table right in front of the castle for the Christmas fireworks at 10PM. Now the food. Apps are delicious as always. Steak is disgusting. Way too big and thick and not cooked. Shrimp is good but some skewers tasted better than others. Chicken is always burnt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom