Ohana dinner

Victor Kelly

They tried to rush us during our Jan 2015 trip. I was having none of it. Our server tried to rush us even more. Then did not want to give us more meats. Ok then, I told him for every delay I subtract 5% of the tip. Things leveled out and he got a 20% tip.

Talk money and they work with you.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
They tried to rush us during our Jan 2015 trip. I was having none of it. Our server tried to rush us even more. Then did not want to give us more meats. Ok then, I told him for every delay I subtract 5% of the tip. Things leveled out and he got a 20% tip.

Talk money and they work with you.
I know what you mean. Maybe depends on the server too. We've felt rushed too, (even on my H's birthday!). We don't let them set the pace of our meal either.

Getting an ADR for this place is hard enough as it is. We won't be pressured into eating in a hurry.

disney4life2008

I know what you mean. Maybe depends on the server too. We've felt rushed too, (even on my H's birthday!). We don't let them set the pace of our meal either.

Getting an ADR for this place is hard enough as it is. We won't be pressured into eating in a hurry.

The major problem with ohana is that the spacing between dishes is horrible. Literally as soon as you sit down the salad and apps arrive which is OK but before you can even digest that, the 2nd server is coming over with the skewers. So in theory, they fill you up quickly with the goal you will be in and out in 60 to 90 minutes or less.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
The major problem with ohana is that the spacing between dishes is horrible. Literally as soon as you sit down the salad and apps arrive which is OK but before you can even digest that, the 2nd server is coming over with the skewers. So in theory, they fill you up quickly with the goal you will be in and out in 60 to 90 minutes or less.
True. Lately, we've told our server something like: "we're not in a hurry", and so far, they've gotten the message.
It's a lot of food, and we need to pace ourselves a bit. Maybe if we were teenagers, we'd eat a lot faster, but we're not anymore! 😄

disney4life2008

True. Lately, we've told our server something like: "we're not in a hurry", and so far, they've gotten the message.
It's a lot of food, and we need to pace ourselves a bit. Maybe if we were teenagers, we'd eat a lot faster, but we're not anymore! 😄

I told my server I will let you know when to bring the meats and literally before I could eat the apps someone came with steak lol. But to be fair, it's all delicious so I go on a empty stomach so I can enjoy it.

What I don't understand is how some people I observe, they eat one plate of food and done . What's the point of going?

TrojanUSC

One of the issues with 'Ohana is that they now usually seat in "waves," with 5-7 tables at a time. This makes it easier for the servers to have a round of salads ready, appetizers, etc. Saves on trips to the kitchen and food prep time. However if you're at the end of one of these "waves," the servers are playing catchup.

Shouldigo12

I found the service last time I ate there (2017) an improvement over previous visits. In the past, waiters walked around with the meats and it was a waiting game for the one you wanted to get to your table. Last time, my waiter brought me what I wanted when I wanted it which was more convenient. Don't recall feeling rushed.

Moving people through restaurants, especially popular ones, does seem to be Disney's goal more than ever. Within minutes of sitting down they've got your appetizer order and brought it out. You can bet they'll have your main course ready the second you finish any appy's, if not sooner.

On my last trip, the difference at Universal was so noticeable. They run their restaurants like you'd expect in the "real world". Courses are served at a more normal pace.
I think it's kind of a tricky situation for Disney, regarding meal times. On the one hand, people who want to sit down and really enjoy a meal aren't going to like feeling rushed. It's no fun paying a lot of money for a meal and then feeling like you aren't welcome at your table. On the other hand, it's a place where people can be very go go go. People who want to be able to get in and out quickly so they can move on to the next thing won't be thrilled at a leisurely meal pace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom