Oga's Cantina at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Fox&Hound

It would be so "easy" for Disney to add walk around characters. Why are they not making this addition? It seems like lack of music, lack of characters, and not opening both rides at once hurt this experience for many guests....

Kamikaze

Because it was specifically promised.

Lands not done yet. They are still adding things like the interactivity, your 'score', etc to DLR, so just have to be patient with what is still to come.

As far as those kinds of characters being inside Oga's, I would say thats never going to happen. Capacity is too low as it is, so adding another couple of in-costume CMs and a couple of handlers would drop that even lower. Plus when its crowded, its very difficult to even walk around, let alone get a CM in full costume through the small spaces easily.

Will we see 'aliens' in the land itself eventually? I would say yes. But not inside Oga's.

Kamikaze

Thank you for doing all the typing.
It looks like the Mos Eisley Greyhound Bus Terminal.

If I want to pay to wait, be told where to stand, and be forced to congregate with strangers, I could just go down to airport and hang out.

I was hoping for more of a scaled up Adventurer's Club in Space. Bigger, characters, able to expand into sections based on the number of guests, etc.
Why they would build something SMALLER than Adventurer's Club and put it in the parks, in a land that when completed will only have two rides is a real head scratcher.

JFC you guys are completely insane. When we visited DLR-GE, we knew that the 'sit with other people' part of the cantina was going to be an issue in Florida, and here's the complaints! Yes, the booth is going to sit more than just you and and your kid. Get over it. Talk to someone new. Maybe make some jokes! Talk about how you first fell in love with Star Wars. You don't have to split their drinks, you don't have to be their best friend, but 20 minutes of talking to someone new can be FUN. Get out of your shell and live a little.

It isn't smaller than AC unless you're counting the Library, which was only going to seat people for shows. Even then, I bet the square footage is close.

And for the love of god, go try it before you form your opinion on a video. This is exactly why I didn't read anything about the land except the basics before I attended. And you know what? I had the time of my life, because I wasn't looking at videos and going 'OMG they're going to crowd me in with the fatties!!!!!111'. Its a damn shame that people try to base their opinions on simply seeing videos or on being told how to view something.

Should it be bigger? Yes.
Should there be food? Yes.
Is it an experience that should not be missed? Absolutely.

But you can't please everyone. Some of you want this undying 'immersion' into everything. Sounds great. Others can't deal with the fact that there isn't background music being played. Fine. But those two things are at odds. When you're walking around your city, or if you are in a foreign city or anywhere that isn't Disney, basically, there isn't music just being played into the air. So the music itself is immersion breaking, since it is not realistic to believe that a small outpost on a backwater world would be pumping BGM through its streets.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

images

Mickeyboof

But you can't please everyone. Some of you want this undying 'immersion' into everything. Sounds great. Others can't deal with the fact that there isn't background music being played. Fine. But those two things are at odds. When you're walking around your city, or if you are in a foreign city or anywhere that isn't Disney, basically, there isn't music just being played into the air. So the music itself is immersion breaking, since it is not realistic to believe that a small outpost on a backwater world would be pumping BGM through its streets.

Come on. Even if you know about something ahead of time doesn’t make it any less uncomfortable or worthy of complaints.

I stood with two Star Wars fans. We had a great conversation. The only uncomfortable part was when my friend and I learned these two only do rides once and couldn’t comprehend why we’d suggest they do the Falcon again with new roles. But I live in manhattan and work in theatre, so I’m probably more outgoing than most.

It’s awesome you didn’t watch anything or keep tabs on the promises that the Walt Disney Company boldly proclaimed, but that doesn’t mean our concerns and complaints are any less valid because we eagerly kept up to date with this new land.

Immersion does NOT MEAN REAL. It just doesn’t. All the Disney parks are inherently immersive because of their heightened reality. Actually, Disney parks are a prime example of “Hyperreality.”

Hyperreality = what is real and what is fiction are seamlessly blended together so that there is no clear distinction between where one ends and the other begins.

Galaxy’s Edge isn’t real. It just isn’t. Galaxy’s Edge is a theme park land, and to treat it as anything else leads to an unfortunate disarray of ideals. Galaxy’s Edge is NOT a city. Galactic outposts are not REAL so you can not compare them to real world environments. Because they’re not real, designers are tasked to use tools to “sell” the experience. That’s why we see Aurebesh, space ships, DJ Rex, and whatever else is a clear signifier that we are stepping out of “reality” and into a space *between* reality and fiction.

Disney has commandeered the concept and phrase “immersive,” but immersive has never ever meant “real.” Sure, immersive works seek to create *real life experiences,* but they are creating tangible and tactile experiences that are as real as your dog. Not as real as a Wegman’s grocery store, or a Moroccan marketplace.

Without music as a signifier, the audience really has no way to decipher what a space means, or how to feel about it.

The First Order area sounds the same as the Falcon area, which sounds the same as the Marketplace, which sounds the same as a Duane Reade.

Is the Marketplace a fast passed environment? Is it dangerous? Or is it exciting? What is the tone? The music would tell me, without, I’m lost. There aren’t natural sounds occurring that make one believe it’s anything but an elaborate gift shop. Add a touch of marketplace music, with a hint of John Williams themes being played by exotic instruments and bam! The audience would instantly begin to understand the tone and relationship of the space. Even better, add an actor or two as Alien smugglers and we’d really begin to collectively understand the nature of the Marketplace as an edge of the Galaxy’s black market. Until then, we’ve got nothing to go off of.

Often in Star Wars, we hear the ‘bad guy music’ before we even see the bad guy. It shapes how we enter a space in the film. At Galaxy’s Edge, in the First Order area, we hear nothing but static ships beeping. There is no music to guide the experience and teach the guests. Without the music, it’s hard to understand if the First Order is actually present, or if their ship is merely a symbol. A subtle scoring of this area would send us into an excited, cautious state. It would create suspense- a suspense that would build until the big reveal of Kylo Ren, or when suddenly we are being interrogated by the patrolling Storm Troopers!! Music is the signifying marker. Without, I’m left to wonder what is happening.

Upon seeing the Falcon, I have no music to elevate my emotional connection. It’s the Falcon, but without the music, whose Falcon is it? Music would make anyone believe you CAN take this bad on a ride through space right NOW! Without the music, there just isn’t a promise for adventure. The lore of Han is missing. The adventures with Chewie is missing. It just sits there. We can’t even touch the damn thing because of a fence, because Batuu isn’t real, it’s a theme park with rules.

Music is about a feeling. It’s a tangible, tactile relationship to the land. Without it, you’ve got a deserted movie set.

The Cantina is the only area with a true signifier. While the building itself is a speakeasy of sorts, without big signs saying DRINK HERE!, the music pouring out of the building immediately tells the story. It’s a watering hole at the edge of the galaxy with exotic beats. The curiosity sparks inside us instantly. What kind of creatures might we see in here?? What kind of drinks did they enjoy in the films?? I want to go! I want to soak up the vibes. This is the Cantina!! I know this because the music is bumping!

I truly cannot comprehend that anyone with an account on this message board can honestly believe the presence of area music takes one out of the fantasy/fiction of the theme park space they’re in.

It blows my mind.

Also, I love cocktails and I love all the drinks I’ve tried here thus far. But if you don’t like sweet, fun cocktails, sure this won’t be your style.

Kamikaze

Come on. Even if you know about something ahead of time doesn’t make it any less uncomfortable or worthy of complaints.

I stood with two Star Wars fans. We had a great conversation. The only uncomfortable part was when my friend and I learned these two only do rides once and couldn’t comprehend why we’d suggest they do the Falcon again with new roles. But I live in manhattan and work in theatre, so I’m probably more outgoing than most.

It’s awesome you didn’t watch anything or keep tabs on the promises that the Walt Disney Company boldly proclaimed, but that doesn’t mean our concerns and complaints are any less valid because we eagerly kept up to date with this new land.

Immersion does NOT MEAN REAL. It just doesn’t. All the Disney parks are inherently immersive because of their heightened reality. Actually, Disney parks are a prime example of “Hyperreality.”

Hyperreality = what is real and what is fiction are seamlessly blended together so that there is no clear distinction between where one ends and the other begins.

Galaxy’s Edge isn’t real. It just isn’t. Galaxy’s Edge is a theme park land, and to treat it as anything else leads to an unfortunate disarray of ideals. Galaxy’s Edge is NOT a city. Galactic outposts are not REAL so you can not compare them to real world environments. Because they’re not real, designers are tasked to use tools to “sell” the experience. That’s why we see Aurebesh, space ships, DJ Rex, and whatever else is a clear signifier that we are stepping out of “reality” and into a space *between* reality and fiction.

Disney has commandeered the concept and phrase “immersive,” but immersive has never ever meant “real.” Sure, immersive works seek to create *real life experiences,* but they are creating tangible and tactile experiences that are as real as your dog. Not as real as a Wegman’s grocery store, or a Moroccan marketplace.

Without music as a signifier, the audience really has no way to decipher what a space means, or how to feel about it.

The First Order area sounds the same as the Falcon area, which sounds the same as the Marketplace, which sounds the same as a Duane Reade.

Is the Marketplace a fast passed environment? Is it dangerous? Or is it exciting? What is the tone? The music would tell me, without, I’m lost. There aren’t natural sounds occurring that make one believe it’s anything but an elaborate gift shop. Add a touch of marketplace music, with a hint of John Williams themes being played by exotic instruments and bam! The audience would instantly begin to understand the tone and relationship of the space. Even better, add an actor or two as Alien smugglers and we’d really begin to collectively understand the nature of the Marketplace as an edge of the Galaxy’s black market. Until then, we’ve got nothing to go off of.

Often in Star Wars, we hear the ‘bad guy music’ before we even see the bad guy. It shapes how we enter a space in the film. At Galaxy’s Edge, in the First Order area, we hear nothing but static ships beeping. There is no music to guide the experience and teach the guests. Without the music, it’s hard to understand if the First Order is actually present, or if their ship is merely a symbol. A subtle scoring of this area would send us into an excited, cautious state. It would create suspense- a suspense that would build until the big reveal of Kylo Ren, or when suddenly we are being interrogated by the patrolling Storm Troopers!! Music is the signifying marker. Without, I’m left to wonder what is happening.

Upon seeing the Falcon, I have no music to elevate my emotional connection. It’s the Falcon, but without the music, whose Falcon is it? Music would make anyone believe you CAN take this bad ***** on a ride through space right NOW! Without the music, there just isn’t a promise for adventure. The lore of Han is missing. The adventures with Chewie is missing. It just sits there. We can’t even touch the damn thing because of a fence, because Batuu isn’t real, it’s a theme park with rules.

Music is about a feeling. It’s a tangible, tactile relationship to the land. Without it, you’ve got a deserted movie set.

The Cantina is the only area with a true signifier. While the building itself is a speakeasy of sorts, without big signs saying DRINK HERE!, the music pouring out of the building immediately tells the story. It’s a watering hole at the edge of the galaxy with exotic beats. The curiosity sparks inside us instantly. What kind of creatures might we see in here?? What kind of drinks did they enjoy in the films?? I want to go! I want to soak up the vibes. This is the Cantina!! I know this because the music is bumping!

I truly cannot comprehend that anyone with an account on this message board can honestly believe the presence of area music takes one out of the fantasy/fiction of the theme park space they’re in.

It blows my mind.

Also, I love cocktails and I love all the drinks I’ve tried here thus far. But if you don’t like sweet, fun cocktails, sure this won’t be your style.

Thats a lot of words to say 'I like music'.

There is a thematic reason why there isn't music. Live with it. If you need music for your enjoyment, I don't know what to tell you.

Now, I'm someone that doesn't listen to music basically ever. So I'm definitely biased to not caring about it. But to say things like you don't know what the Falcon is without music is silly.

And I can't comprehend that not having some BGM can negatively influence people to their detriment. Especially those who have only seem the land through YouTube.

Mickeyboof

Thats a lot of words to say 'I like music'.

There is a thematic reason why there isn't music. Live with it. If you need music for your enjoyment, I don't know what to tell you.

Now, I'm someone that doesn't listen to music basically ever. So I'm definitely biased to not caring about it. But to say things like you don't know what the Falcon is without music is silly.

And I can't comprehend that not having some BGM can negatively influence people to their detriment. Especially those who have only seem the land through YouTube.

I’ve been to the land. I can’t even recall reading people’s reviews based only on YouTube videos. Where are you seeing this?

Did I say I didn’t recognize the falcon? Did I actually write that?

Go back and re read if you want to be correct.

To keep this false sense of “immersion” or reality, There should be more diegetic sounds to complete the experience.

If you barely listen to music, why are you even commenting about it?

Mickeyboof

Pandora doesn't have BGM, just sayin. And it's nearly perfect, imho.

Have you ever been there? Pandora employs music quite masterfully and strategically that make the landscape seem true to itself.

Pandora features a bombastic score in both attractions, explodes with a epic drumming show, and sets the relaxed tone with area music around both eateries- making me really ready for a margarita or cheeseburger pod! However, what Pandora also does is it employs nature as area music. The whimsical creatures singing from the trees and the mountains is sweetly musical. The waterfalls are a splendid music.

Galaxy’s Edge does not have general area music in it’s zones, which can be deafeningly quiet as Batuu has no natural elements to compensate. It has no ‘natural’ rhythmic sounds. Instead, there is an annoying bombardment of diegetic noises- the sound of billions of bugs and critters mating in the trees and bushes. In the marketplace a single radio plays DJ Rex quietly. The Ronto Roasters engine makes an endless hissing noise, which unmatched to any music, makes the area unbearable to be in after a few moments.

tissandtully

I keep getting time selected not available or some sort of error while trying to book Oga's in October, freaking crazy. I even got it one time and clicked Next to confirm and then got an error "sorry for the paws" Ugh

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom