Oga's Cantina at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KBLovedDisney

At least at Trader Sam's you can get some food and the drinks are high powered. AND if you want to skip the theme elements you can sit outside on the lanai and get the same drinks, food, and relax. You would think they would mimic that concept when choosing not to accommodate the capacity needed. Even then, I've been in plenty of restaurants that have sections that they open and staff based on the nightly demand.
So, they made it so "immersive" that they can't accommodate the humans they are entertaining and add some tables and outside chairs? Wow. Sad.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
wowzers. i'm from new york, so i'm more than familiar with manhattan pricing, and that's still wild to me. i definitely understand wanting to experience it, and -- based on the capacity -- there will a line of people to fork over that kind of money. i don't know why i'm surprised, but i am. seems like the whole thing is kind of a swing and a miss to me.
20190806_144038.jpg

DisneyOutsider

wowzers. i'm from new york, so i'm more than familiar with manhattan pricing, and that's still wild to me. i definitely understand wanting to experience it, and -- based on the capacity -- there will a line of people to fork over that kind of money. i don't know why i'm surprised, but i am. seems like the whole thing is kind of a swing and a miss to me.

I don't know.. when was the last time you paid for food at WDW?

2 specialty drinks, both of the food items on the menu plus an apple juice for $40 sounds about right to me. Not commenting on value... but doesn't seem like a step up from other places in WDW, especially considering it's the shiny new Star Wars thing.

baymenxpac

2 specialty drinks, both of the food items on the menu plus an apple juice for $40 sounds about right to me. Not commenting on value... but doesn't seem like a step up from other places in WDW, especially considering it's the shiny new Star Wars thing.

very recently. and just because food is outrageously prices across property doesn't mean it's not fair to call out even more outrageous pricing in, what can generously be called, a star wars-based experience.

two non-alcoholic drinks, a cinnamon bun, a yogurt, and and an apple juice should cost $50 with tip? i'm not one of these, "i can get 2 hot dogs for $1 at 7-11" people, but c'mon, man. there's premium, and then there's gouging.

let's face it: they went bare minimum on this, slapped 'STAR WARS' on it, and want to charge you obscene prices for it. if you're cool with it, that's fine, as long as you know what you're getting into.

fngoofy

Oga's
-cinnamon roll
-yogurt
-Blue Milk
-chocolate milk/tea drink
-apple juice
-tip
=$50

VS

Trader Sam's Oasis Bar @ Poly
Shoot, I can't even get piddly items like cinnamon roll and yogurt at Trader Sam's, it's much more substantial food. BUT if I walked around the corner to the Oasis Bar....
Portuguese doughnuts served with passion fruit curd $5
Wonton Chips with Duck Sauce $4
Lava Smoothie $6
Specialty Cocktail $11
Most non alcoholic drinks $4
Tip $5
=$35
30% less for much more. I don't think yogurt compare to Wonto Chips with sauce or that chocolate milk compares to a lava smoothie. But those are all available at the Poly, a deluxe resort. AND this includes an alcoholic drink, which I don't think the Oga example had.

po1998

When "performer CM's" have been slashed at WDW for well over a decade, why would anyone be surprised that there are no interactive SW characters in this location or very few anywhere in SWL?

DisneyOutsider

Oga's
-cinnamon roll
-yogurt
-Blue Milk
-apple juice
-tip
=$50

VS

Shoot, I can't even get piddly items like cinnamon roll and yogurt at Trader Sam's, it's much more substantial food. BUT if I walked around the corner to the Oasis Bar....
Lava Smoothie $6
Specialty Cocktail $11
Tip $5
=$35
30% less for much more. I don't think yogurt compare to Wonto Chips with sauce or that chocolate milk compares to a lava smoothie. But those are all available at the Poly, a deluxe resort. AND this includes an alcoholic drink, which I don't think the Oga example had.

The prices are definitely juiced up from a pool bar located outside of the parks, but I don't think it's outside of expectations for an in-park experience like this. The menu prices align more closely with locations like Rose and Crown Pub and La Cantina de San Angel. The only big outlier is the non-alcoholic blue milk being $13, but obviously that's their signature drink that they know everyone will try. What I do find offensive is seeing the size of those drinks... not good.

DisneyFreak

Oga's
-cinnamon roll
-yogurt
-Blue Milk
-apple juice
-tip
=$50

VS

Lava Smoothie $6
Specialty Cocktail $11
Tip $5
=$35

Plus without the added cost of a park ticket.

TP2000

When "performer CM's" have been slashed at WDW for well over a decade, why would anyone be surprised that there are no interactive SW characters in this location or very few anywhere in SWL?

Because senior Disney executives said at D23 Expo 2015 and 2017, plus during the Disneyland 60 nationalTV special aired in 2016, that Star Wars Land would have all that stuff. We would interact with aliens and droids and bounty hunters who knew who we were.

We would be IMMERSED, per Bob Chapek's specific instructions. :rolleyes:

Us online fans didn't make this stuff up and erroneously raise this level of expectation, it was Disney's own senior executives at public speaking events and on national television who raised that level of expectation. And they were reading from TelePrompters, from approved scripts.

So, they made it so "immersive" that they can't accommodate the humans they are entertaining and add some tables and outside chairs? Wow. Sad.

You know, that's a great idea! Having outside seating along this alley would really help bring this dead land to life. Kind of like an Italian sidewalk cafe that makes an otherwise bland old alley infinitely more charming and alive.

tourists-enjoy-lunch-on-a-summer-day-at-an-italian-sidewalk-cafe-restaurant-in-an-alley-near-the-historic-center-of-rome-italy-TXPDT6.jpg

The climate in Orlando might be problematic compared to Anaheim, but WDI could design retractable awnings and such to help for DHS.

The alleyways and walkways of Star Wars Land are mostly devoid of human life and activity, they just have lots of static props and barrels and "stuff" clumped in corners like a dozen Imagineering interns went crazy on the prop budget. But extending the Cantina out into the walkway with outdoor seating would really help bring this dead land to life!

Last edited:

Disneyfanman

I watched the walk-through video and completely get the complaints. It's just not Kinect or fun looking. What really got me though was the complete lack of music. It's kind of dead feeling. The Cantina seems to be the only place with a bit of life. I remember when Epcot opened that people complained about the same thing and eventually Disney added street entertainment.

It just seems like a pretty big swing and miss at this point. If you watch the crowd, nobody looks like they are enjoying themselves.

po1998

Because senior Disney executives said at D23 Expo 2015 and 2017, plus during the Disneyland 60 nationalTV special aired in 2016, that Star Wars Land would have all that stuff. We would interact with aliens and droids and bounty hunters who knew who we were.

We would be IMMERSED, per Bob Chapek's specific instructions. :rolleyes:

Us online fans didn't make this stuff up and erroneously raise this level of expectation, it was Disney's own senior executives at public speaking events and on national television who raised that level of expectation. And they were reading from TelePrompters, from approved scripts.

You know, that's a great idea! Having outside seating along this alley would really help bring this dead land to life. Kind of like an Italian sidewalk cafe that makes an otherwise bland old alley infinitely more charming and alive.

tourists-enjoy-lunch-on-a-summer-day-at-an-italian-sidewalk-cafe-restaurant-in-an-alley-near-the-historic-center-of-rome-italy-TXPDT6.jpg

The climate in Orlando might be problematic compared to Anaheim, but WDI could design retractable awnings and such to help for DHS.

The alleyways and walkways of Star Wars Land are mostly devoid of human life and activity, they just have lots of static props and barrels and "stuff" clumped in corners like a dozen Imagineering interns went crazy on the prop budget. But extending the Cantina out into the walkway with outdoor seating would really help bring this dead land to life!
Moral of the story, and we as Disney fans should all be used to this by now...

DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE AND HEAR!

TP2000

Moral of the story, and we as Disney fans should all be used to this by now...

DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE AND HEAR!

I've been an online Disney theme park fan for decades.

We always take rumors with a big grain of salt, and we used to say "Don't believe it until the bulldozers arrive!"

But now, with Mr. Chapek in charge, it seems to have changed to your point that we shouldn't believe everything we see and hear from Disney's own senior executives speaking at official company conventions and on national television.

That's sad to think Disney's theme park division has sunken that low. :(

dennis-in-ct

very recently. and just because food is outrageously prices across property doesn't mean it's not fair to call out even more outrageous pricing in, what can generously be called, a star wars-based experience.

two non-alcoholic drinks, a cinnamon bun, a yogurt, and and an apple juice should cost $50 with tip? i'm not one of these, "i can get 2 hot dogs for $1 at 7-11" people, but c'mon, man. there's premium, and then there's gouging.

Speaking of price (for comparison to the breakfast at Olga's Cantina), lunch for two at Epcot's American pavilion counter service: eatery:
- 1 hot dog / fries
- 1 chicken sandwich
- 1 fountain drink
- 1 bottle of water

COST: $38.00 (about 3-4 yrs ago)

We have had dinner at Outback for this price … seriously. We felt gouged.

aladdin2007

let's face it: they went bare minimum on this, slapped 'STAR WARS' on it, and want to charge you obscene prices for it. if you're cool with it, that's fine, as long as you know what you're getting into.

this sums it up well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom