Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

Foladar

Hows the Davenport area? We plan to come up there (from south Miami) to check out some places around April 28th, how is the crime mostly and neighbourhoods in that area? I've read its a small town, so I *think* thats a positive (less crime) .. I've learned to avoid the southern area (Haines City) but thats about as far as I've gotten .. we're looking for just north if I4/27 if anybody has any suggestions, thank you. Also, we're moving in threeish weeks, around May 10th, woohoo!

Rabflmom

What are the pros and cons of buying a condo VS renting an apartment? Thanks!:)
>>>>

Pros- you have something you own for your money rather than paying say $12000 a year and having nothing to show for it.

You can paint and change the interior however you want to.

You will have other owners who care about the way the condo looks who won't be as likely to litter the parking lot and community grounds as some renters tend to do.

Cons- in addition to mortgage you will have home owners dues to pay. Covers repairs to community areas but not interior of your condo. Can go up if committee deems it necessary unless it is locked in. If it is not enough and insurance doesn't cover it all you may be charged additional monies for repairs

You have to pay for all repairs to interior of your condo.

Condo association can have some pretty strict guidelines you have to comply with.

Iknewagirlnamed

>>>>

Pros- you have something you own for your money rather than paying say $12000 a year and having nothing to show for it.

You can paint and change the interior however you want to.

You will have other owners who care about the way the condo looks who won't be as likely to litter the parking lot and community grounds as some renters tend to do.

Cons- in addition to mortgage you will have home owners dues to pay. Covers repairs to community areas but not interior of your condo. Can go up if committee deems it necessary unless it is locked in. If it is not enough and insurance doesn't cover it all you may be charged additional monies for repairs

You have to pay for all repairs to interior of your condo.

Condo association can have some pretty strict guidelines you have to comply with.
Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it. When I move to O-town next year, I will be 21. I will have an substantial amount of money saved that I plan on using to pa for college. I also plan to have a full time job, along with my boyfriend paying rent and a hopeful roommate to boot. I'd much rather own a condo than pay rent to an apartment that isn't mine. I'd love to invest. But it makes me nervous since I am so young and it will be the first property I own.

What are the home owner's fees like? Do they vary greatly? What chances do I have to be locked-in to a fee? Are they yearly or monthly?

When you said that "if insurance doesn't cover it all" do you mean the repairs to my condo or does insurance pay for the home owner's fees? I'm guessing it's not the latter. lol

Thanks! :)

so many of the condos are sitting unsold, you can basically get one on the cheap right now. My aunt just bought a condo that was sitting at $259k 2 years ago for $89k.

Wow! That's one hell of a drop. Is that what you'd be expected to pay for a 2 bedroom condo? What would the local taxes be like?

I'm guessing that they will be down to 79K later this year for the same units.
Unless the Brits buy them. :p

:):):)
Okay, I'm English and we've just got to get those colonies back somehow.:D

Seriously though, I live 40 miles north of London, in a 3 bedroom detached house, the back garden being 30 feet by 35 feet and just about enough room to put a car on the front, 8 feet between us and the neighbours. This is worth £275,000 ($550,000) and prices have fallen here as well! When you look at what you can get almost anywhere in North America it all looks very good reading for the English (We've already bought up half of Spain - so now that's too expensive, and we're nibbling into France).

Ever since my first visit to WDW in 2001, I've been half tempted to get something out there. One of the biggest worries is crime. Then again, there are parts of the UK I wouldn't even consider walking around in daylight.

Matpez

so many of the condos are sitting unsold, you can basically get one on the cheap right now. My aunt just bought a condo that was sitting at $259k 2 years ago for $89k.

where was this???

(neighborhood, area, address, anything)

:wave:

TowerOfTerror

Check on Condos.com. They have 1 bedroom/1 bath as cheap as 89,000 in Hunters Creek. I am going to linger a little bit longer; I still think the Orlando market is still 20-30% overpriced at this point.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
where was this???

(neighborhood, area, address, anything)

:wave:
Neighborhood: Metrowest (the good part!)
Development: The Hamptons

It was listed at $109, my aunt offered $89 and got it.

Matpez

Thanks!

We have friends that recently moved from Metrowest (the good part) and they were suggesting looking in that area too.

:)

dizkid03

Where can i stay for cheap, while working at disney, on weekends, only?

i plan to live at home in clearwater and work at disney on the weekends, only. where can i stay for less than $600.00 total, altogether? i would like it to be within 20 minutes of disney property.

bhg469

we just came back and had great progress with looking for a place to live down there. I didn't think I would want to live close to orlando but we found a nice calm area where there wasnt much traffic and didn't seem too close to the parks, until we looked at a map and couldn't believe how close we were. I seriously have no desire to get annual passes but the idea of being able to sounds neat. Probably the most successful FL trip I have had in years and didn't set one foot in a theme park, and we loved it! We stayed in davenport and had fallen in love with the area as it is affordable and close to the attractions but far enough away, where no one bothers you. The are does seem to be on the incline too so we hope to possibly make a purchase within a year. Houses there will not be cheap for long.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
ask away kids!....

I'll answer your question, as will every other local on the forums that chooses to

Has anyone considered by a house in Golden Oak and several hovels in Celebration to store stuff like Mason jar collections and table clothes?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Has anyone considered by a house in Golden Oak and several hovels in Celebration to store stuff like Mason jar collections and table clothes?

Winter Park for me. Golden Oak is douchie and Celebration is in Osceola County - my car will NEVER touch US192.

disneygeek90

I've been renting an apartment for about 2 years in Orlando, but currently in contract for a condo in Hunters Creek! Very excited to start gaining some equity, and I will be pretty much the same distance from WDW, about 11 miles. Might even be faster since I shouldn't have to deal with I4 as much.

Nj4mwc

So my wife and I have a 5 yr plan to end up I the Orlando area, once I retire from the military, how conservative is Orlando in regards to hiring people with tattoos, I’m not concerned about me, since all mine are easily covered. My wife though has the back and sides of her neck, entire arms and one hand covered and I’m sure more by the time I retire, we know a job a Disney is out of ten question but what about business in general In The Orlando region. Are they highly conservative, we have considered the west coast knowing that most places are very liberal and tattoos are typically not an issue but we are set on orlando

disneygeek90

So my wife and I have a 5 yr plan to end up I the Orlando area, once I retire from the military, how conservative is Orlando in regards to hiring people with tattoos, I’m not concerned about me, since all mine are easily covered. My wife though has the back and sides of her neck, entire arms and one hand covered and I’m sure more by the time I retire, we know a job a Disney is out of ten question but what about business in general In The Orlando region. Are they highly conservative, we have considered the west coast knowing that most places are very liberal and tattoos are typically not an issue but we are set on orlando
Orlando/Orange County is overall one of the most liberal areas in Florida. I would think you'd find decent luck here, outside the theme parks.

AlexisAshburn

Hello! Glad I found this thread. We are looking at relocating to the area from NC when my husband departs from the military. He’s hopefully gaining employment at WDW. We’ve read a ton of posts about housing and have found a lot of potential in the area. Any advice on other parts of this?

atjimfromdisney

Disney is very strict with tattoos and will have to be able to be covered, even if it means wearing a long sleeve undershirt and pants with your costume, which many cast members do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom