Official Disneyland Resort and good neighbor hotels reviews

Figments Friend

Mimi's Cafe really? That is just a normal chain restaurant similar to Olive Garden or Red Robin. In fact, it used to be better. Their french onion soup is still good though. It's pretty common in southern California. There are about forty of them in suburban cities. Nothing too special there.

Yes, I love it.
There are no Mimi's here in the Boston area where I live, so it's a refreshing change.
I like it better then Olive Garden or Red Robin, and Mimi's breakfasts are better then the IHOP or McDoanld's.
It also helps that they are always sending me free meal deals.

When I want a good breakfast or a satisfactory dinner when I'm in that area, it's Mimi's all the way!
:)

-

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I think we have eaten three times at Mimi’s and each time we liked it fine. The breakfast was particularly good, I thought. I don’t know what happened to IHOP (ALL IHOPs not just Harbor Blvd) but it’s f’ing gross now. So if you’re on Harbor don’t eat there, try Mimi’s instead of you want to pay for a breakfast.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Yes, I love it.
There are no Mimi's here in the Boston area where I live, so it's a refreshing change.
I like it better then Olive Garden or Red Robin, and Mimi's breakfasts are better then the IHOP or McDoanld's.
It also helps that they are always sending me free meal deals.

When I want a good breakfast or a satisfactory dinner when I'm in that area, it's Mimi's all the way!

-
Well now I know to get you gift cards to Mini's next Christmas.

unmitigated disaster

I don't think IHOP is so bad, as long as you stick to the basics. I mean, eggs bacon and toast are hard for them to goof up.

Danny's surprised me by being edible, though. The southwestern creamed corn was pretty good and my dad liked the grilled halibut. The meatloaf was uninspiring, though.

Darkbeer1

From Denny's, the Senior Chicken Fried Steak, comes with Soup or Salad and 2 sides (Mashed and Corn for me). Then show your AARP card for 15% off. One heck of a deal. Also, they still have the $3, $4, $6 and $8 menu, though it is hidden and on many items, you will find prices like $6.49, But still some good options depending on how hungry you are. But for a sit down Table Service place, not bad at all.

Also a big Mimi's Café fan.

truecoat

I prefer using ART that has a stop in front of the Hotel. Why walk to catch the ART Route 20, when they have a bus that picks you up at the Hotel, and drops you off at the same location?

www,rideart.org

Waited 50 min one night for the shuttle to come back, never again.

Purduevian

Anyone every stayed at the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn? Heading to Disneyland for the first time this summer, on my Honeymoon. Planning to spend 3 days in the parks, so proximity is key. Also looking to stay on a reasonable budget (no Grand Californian).

Phroobar

Original Poster
One place no one has mentioned is Great Wolf Lodge. We've stayed there twice just to use the water park on discounted stays. The rooms are nice. The kids can sleep in a bunk bed themed to a cave. The food is pretty bad since it caters to kids. They have a shuttle to Disneyland. The waterpark is pretty good and all indoors. It is not the quietest place though. The lobby is a lot like Chuck E Cheese with tons of kids running around with wands making things happen. It's like the Grand Californian but for kids.

waterpark-drone-img0018-1200x500.jpg

fit

1beb895fe0d6d2ad77b539aa40817416.jpg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I prefer using ART that has a stop in front of the Hotel. Why walk to catch the ART Route 20, when they have a bus that picks you up at the Hotel, and drops you off at the same location?

www,rideart.org
The Toy Story buses are a 3 min. walk from the Clarion, free, and there's always one there loading. No wait.

TP2000

Yes, I love it.

I haven't been to one in awhile, but Mimi's is great! Do you ever go to Legal Seafoods? That's what I miss the most about living in New England. If you do go to Legal Seafoods, and if you order their lobster roll, the next time you do could you think of me please?

Last edited:

TP2000

One place no one has mentioned is Great Wolf Lodge.... The food is pretty bad since it caters to kids. They have a shuttle to Disneyland. The waterpark is pretty good and all indoors. It is not the quietest place though. The lobby is a lot like Chuck E Cheese with tons of kids running around with wands making things happen. It's like the Grand Californian but for kids.

Not really the most ringing of endorsements, but the point is made. :D

Great Wolf Lodge seems to be a good choice for families with kids, especially those from the rainy Northwest or climates that don't lend themselves to beaches and bathing suits.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Not really the most ringing of endorsements, but the point is made. :D

Great Wolf Lodge seems to be a good choice for families with kids, especially those from the rainy Northwest or climates that don't lend themselves to beaches and bathing suits.
Agreed. We only go when we get a really good deal. Last time it was $50 per person. It was available for only a random three day period.

Jedi Stitch

Best Western Garden Anaheim is an ok hotel. We had the very back ground level room. Very Quiet that is for sure. They have a complementary breakfast up front on the 3rd floor. the space that makes the grand drive entrance. They have both indoor and outdoor seating, not being in AC seamed counter intuitive. Actually you have a great view to the parks, and you can watch everyone else hiking up the Blvd to get to the entrance. They are only 2 doors down from the East Entrance light on Harbour. Very close. The pool is a small little thing, basic. It separates the front building to the back building. This place is great for the Park Commandos who do Rope Drop to Fireworks, but something happened on our last trip that had not happened before, couldn't commando it any more. Then we found ourselves going back to the room and hitting the pool and relaxing for part of the day. For the first time wanting the cheaper place for sleep and a shower, We wanted more amenities. Great location, Tony Romas was next door, but virtually everything was with in walking distance if you needed it.

Heppenheimer

Paradise Pier: Stayed in 2011 so it was a while back but it was super comfy (pillow and bed) but a far walk from the park.

Disneyland Hotel: Got married here at the wedding gardens on site and had my reception in the hotel. Both were an amazing experience.

However, the rooms are small and are not special though besides the headboard. Steakhouse 55 Dinner and Cofee House Breakfast were both awesome.

I hope to stay in the Grand at some point but it has never seemed worth it. Maybe one day.
Hint... if you attend a conference there, you pay about half the rack rate. Same with the Grand Floridian at Disney World.

Kiwiduck

I've stayed at a few places over the past few years but haven't settled on a "go-to " spot because they're all varying degrees of bleh. The Camelot Inn had very nondescript rooms but was so close to the parks and they had a room available for me when I arrived in the morning, a big plus after an 11 hour flight. My room looked out at the Matterhorn and I could see monorails passing which was cool.

The Hyatt house also had very nondescript rooms but it was spacious and again had a room for me nice and early. The breakfast is fine, lots of option but pretty average in quality. The Walgreens underneath is good for picking up cheap water etc. The staff here were great and I would recommend it but the walk is a bit long, especially if you have a long stay.

The Park Vue Inn was super close but otherwise had nothing to recommend it. Room bleh, breakfast bleh.

I have also stayed at the Disneyland hotel which was charming and it should be given the astounding cost of it. I loved being "in the bubble" and didn't find the walk an issue. The only issue I had was the wifi which was awful.

I'm still looking for a place that meets my criteria of some charm, not too expensive and not too far away. In May I'm staying at the Candy Cane Inn and I'll report back some thoughts.

Figments Friend

I haven't been to one in awhile, but Mimi's is great! Do you ever go to Legal Seafoods? That's what I miss the most about living in New England. If you do go to Legal Seafoods, and if you order their lobster roll, the next time you do could you think of me please?

Yes, I have been to a couple of Legal Seafood locations here....including the two nice ones at your favorite concrete-block-of-an-airport built by 'third world communists'!
😁

A few years ago most of the Legal Seafood restaurants received very nice remodels, including the airport locations.
An example - my local one now has a swag extensive wine rack, sharp contemporary style decor, new outside seating area, and a expanded bar.
A nice upgrade from the wood paneled rustic-yet-refined look beforehand.
The food is still quite tasty, and I love the chowder and crab cakes.
Lunch specials are still terrific, too, but if it's lobster rolls you are after I know a local place that has THE best ones ever made.

Seriously -

Belle Isle Seafood, right across the water from the runways of said airport.
Great place...it's been there for like 60 years and has fantastic fresh seafood and the lobster rolls are absolutely incredible.
Next time you are in town, I highly recommend a quick ride over there.
I hit them up once every few months and they never dissapoint with the goodies.

And yes, I will of course think of you TP the next time I am there having a roll and a frosty beverage, watching the airplanes take off and land across the waterway from your favorite airport.

-

Last edited:

TP2000

Belle Isle Seafood, right across the water from the runways of said airport.
Great place...it's been there for like 60 years and has fantastic fresh seafood and the lobster rolls are absolutely incredible.
Next time you are in town, I highly recommend a quick ride over there.
I hit them up once every few months and they never dissapoint with the goodies.

And yes, I will of course think of you TP the next time I am there having a roll and a frosty beverage, watching the airplanes take off and land across the waterway from your favorite airport.

I love that, almost as much as I don't love Logan airport! I favored the Copley Square location after work, or the Legal Seafoods at Burlington Mall on weekends. We'd also go up to Freeport in the spring and the fall and get lobster rolls fresh off the docks, but Legal Seafoods was the easier way to do it. There's just no comparison here in SoCal for it. :(

Back OT, I would like to throw out a two-for-one option for convenient Good Neighbor hotels, especially for those Bonvoy points collectors like me...

The Marriott Fairfield and it's newer next door neighbor the Marriott Courtyard, both on Harbor Blvd. The Fairfield has been refreshed routinely over the years, most recently about two years ago when the Courtyard opened next door. Rooms at the Fairfield are comfy and even lightly themed to "Disney" in that way that only a clueless intern from Marriott's room design department could manage...

laxoc-exterior-0056-hor-feat.jpg

guest-room.jpg

Next door is the Courtyard, a step up the corporate ladder from the Fairfield and thus a bit more expensive, but with larger and more luxurious rooms. Plus a fun little water park pool area on top of their parking structure.

home.jpg

This Courtyard is aimed at the tourist family instead of the usual business traveler. Many rooms have bunkbeds, many have kitchenettes and living areas, and all are themed to beachy SoCal "fun". And west facing rooms do have a great view of the monorail and the Matterhorn.

A hotel bunkbed with a view of the Matterhorn is pure vacation exotica for an 8 year old!

snadt-guestroom-0019-hor-clsc_S.jpg

56250702.jpg

Directly in front of these hotels on Harbor Blvd. is the Mimi's Cafe mentioned above, plus a Panera Bread and a McDonald's, which can be fast and economical food options either going to or returning back from Disneyland. The Courtyard has an evening cocktail bar in the lobby, for moms and dads that need a break from all that family fun.

The walk from either hotel to the Disneyland turnstiles is about 10 minutes or less, not including any delays for security screening in the Esplanade. Very convenient and much cheaper than the official Disney options on the other side of the property! These two hotels are probably even a shorter walk to the front gate than the Paradise Pier Hotel at a drastically lower price. o_O

The blue line is using the sidewalk on the western side of Harbor Blvd., the yellow line is using the eastern side of Harbor.
HOJODisneylandRouteMap.jpg

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The Hyatt House at Harbor and Katella is awesome. A real Starbucks in the lobby, a Walgreens in the building so you can get cases of water without paying $4 a bottle, brand new rooms (it’s less than 5 years old), kitchenettes, a bar cart at the pool, and a really, really good hot breakfast (as far as free hotel breakfasts go)

10/10 would recommend to anyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom