Official Disneyland Resort and good neighbor hotels reviews

TP2000

Gee, there are only a couple of flea traps left, most nearby are new construction or have been kept in great condition.

Yes, but there are still a few prominent flea traps left on Katella.

My personal favorite is the fabulously named Little Boy Blue, wedged between the GardenWalk parking structure and the equally scuzzy Riviera Motel. A poster here actually stayed there once and wrote about it, but he shall remain nameless to protect the guilty.

little-boy-blue-motel.jpg

They have a pool out back! Glamour! Maybe you'll be discovered by a Hollywood agent poolside?

little-boy-blue-motel.jpg

Two And A Half stars on Yelp! https://www.yelp.com/biz/little-boy-blue-motel-anaheim

TP2000

Before you think that time hasn't been kind to the Little Boy Blue, it actually hasn't changed much since it was built in the early 60's. Here's a 1964 postcard showing the glamour pool and ample parking.

I love the beautifully coiffed young lady standing poolside and staring at the mysterious brown splotch in the pool! :oops: Dave and Skip sitting in the lawn chairs seem to be laughing about it, and something tells me that the glum and moody blonde in the chaise lounge is responsible for the brown splotch and she knows that the boys know. Oh, the drama that played out at the Little Boy Blue in the swinging 60's! Right @Dr. Hans Reinhardt?

Little+Boy+Blue+Mid+1960s.jpg

But once that gorgeous 1964 Cadillac Coupe De Ville in desert bronze parked in the background drove away, it's been pretty much downhill for the Little Boy Blue ever since. They were unable to recapture the sparkle and sophistication of this Postcard Picture Day ever again. Even if the mysterious brown splotch remained.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Before you think that time hasn't been kind to the Little Boy Blue, it actually hasn't changed much since it was built in the early 60's. Here's a 1964 postcard showing the glamour pool and ample parking.

I love the beautifully coiffed young lady standing poolside and staring at the mysterious brown splotch in the pool! :oops: Dave and Skip sitting in the lawn chairs seem to be laughing about it, and something tells me that the glum and moody blonde in the chaise lounge is responsible for the brown splotch and she knows that the boys know. Oh, the drama that played out at the Little Boy Blue in the swinging 60's!

Little+Boy+Blue+Mid+1960s.jpg

But once that gorgeous 1964 Cadillac Coupe De Ville in desert bronze parked in the background drove away, it's been pretty much downhill for the Little Boy Blue ever since. They were unable to recapture the sparkle and sophistication of this Postcard Picture Day ever again. Even if the mysterious brown splotch remained.
Ever visit Lileks.com? That sounds exactly like the description he would write for that picture. Well done!

Heppenheimer

Anaheim Marriott: Pretty much what you would expect for a business class hotel, and the odds are that if you're staying here, you're probably attending a conference at the co-located convention center. From the entrance of the hotel to the Esplanade area is actually quite a bit longer walk than it might seem on the map, but nothing you can't manage if you don't have mobility problems. There is hotel shuttle to the parks, but the hotel provides free vouchers to use the Anaheim city bus service, which services the hotel and parks directly without transfers.

I seem to recall that the pool area was a little small for the size of the hotel. All of the lounge chairs were occupied everytime I used it.

I can't say I remember much about the food service, other than it being adequate. Coffee is provided by Starbucks (and there's a store on the first floor), so if you don't like their brew, you're out of luck.

Most of the rooms offer decent views, if not of Disneyland (only one side of the building faces that way), at least of the surrounding area, including the San Gabriel Mountains.

It's a nice hotel, but pricey. There probably isn't any reason for the average Disney visitor to stay here, however, unless you're attending a conference at the convention center or using Marriott points.

Heppenheimer

Grand Californian: I would put this in the same class as Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Polynesian and the Wilderness Lodge as one of Disney's most well-themed hotels. The California craftsman/redwood aesthetic might not be as obvious of theme, but it is beautifully executed, particularly in the lobby and lounge. The rooms are rather small, though, and are decorated in a woodland theme that fits with the redwood design of the hotel. Lack of microwaves in the standard rooms is a minus, though.

For food: I understand the grab-and-go location has been renamed and up-graded since my visit in 2017, but the selection during my visit was not particularly impressive. Napa Rose is excellent and lives up to its reputation, Storyteller's Cafe was a little better than the average Disney table service restaurant. I was a little surprised how many people ordered a stiff drink at Hearthstone Lounge first thing in the morning (although they appeared to be contract workers on night shift).

The pool area might not be up to the standards of the best examples at Disney World, but much better than your average hotel pool.

But the real reason to stay here is the location. One entrance opens onto Downtown Disney and another provides direct access to California Adventure (although you need to go through security first). At the absolute longest, any point in the entire resort is within a 20 minute walk from your room (minus the security and entrance queues). The hotel even has a terrace that overlooks California Adventure, and from here, you can watch the World of Color show at night.

I'm attending a conference here in about two months, which will be my first one hosted by a Disney hotel. I'll be interested to see what Disney provides, beyond the discounted park tickets that I already know about.

Darkbeer1

Grand Californian: I would put this in the same class as Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Polynesian and the Wilderness Lodge as one of Disney's most well-themed hotels. The California craftsman/redwood aesthetic might not be as obvious of theme, but it is beautifully executed, particularly in the lobby and lounge. The rooms are rather small, though, and are decorated in a woodland theme that fits with the redwood design of the hotel. Lack of microwaves in the standard rooms is a minus, though.

For food: I understand the grab-and-go location has been renamed and up-graded since my visit in 2017, but the selection during my visit was not particularly impressive. Napa Rose is excellent and lives up to its reputation, Storyteller's Cafe was a little better than the average Disney table service restaurant. I was a little surprised how many people ordered a stiff drink at Hearthstone Lounge first thing in the morning (although they appeared to be contract workers on night shift).

The pool area might not be up to the standards of the best examples at Disney World, but much better than your average hotel pool.

But the real reason to stay here is the location. One entrance opens onto Downtown Disney and another provides direct access to California Adventure (although you need to go through security first). At the absolute longest, any point in the entire resort is within a 20 minute walk from your room (minus the security and entrance queues). The hotel even has a terrace that overlooks California Adventure, and from here, you can watch the World of Color show at night.

I'm attending a conference here in about two months, which will be my first one hosted by a Disney hotel. I'll be interested to see what Disney provides, beyond the discounted park tickets that I already know about.
Sorry to say this. Be prepared to be disappointed. The staff and how they manage the hotel is lacking. Especially with things like Room Service after the parks close.

The GCH convention Center is Meh

Looking forward to the new Westin Convention facilities.

Heppenheimer

Sorry to say this. Be prepared to be disappointed. The staff and how they manage the hotel is lacking. Especially with things like Room Service after the parks close.

The GCH convention Center is Meh

Looking forward to the new Westin Convention facilities.
Most conferences I go to are a big Meh anyway, but because my license requires me to attend one per year, I figure I may as well go to one at a fun location.

TP2000

Ever visit Lileks.com? That sounds exactly like the description he would write for that picture. Well done!

Never heard of that website, but thanks. That postcard just spoke to me. :D

I think you'll find the customer service at the Grand Californian sorely lacking. That hotel looks great from 20 feet away, but get up close and start interacting with the CM's there and it kind of falls apart. The service at the Grand Californian is like any Airport Sheraton, it's nothing special and surprisingly unpolished and sloppy for the price point they charge.

Compared to the other legitimately luxurious hotels in OC; Montage, Pelican Hill, Ritz-Carlton, etc., the Grand Californian's service levels and attention to detail (or nearly complete lack thereof) are a sad joke in my opinion.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Never heard of that website, but thanks. That postcard just spoke to me. :D

I think you'll find the customer service at the Grand Californian sorely lacking. That hotel looks great from 20 feet away, but get up close and start interacting with the CM's there and it kind of falls apart. The service at the Grand Californian is like any Airport Sheraton, it's nothing special and surprisingly unpolished and sloppy for the price point they charge.

Compared to the other legitimately luxurious hotels in OC; Montage, Pelican Hill, Ritz-Carlton, etc., the Grand Californian's service levels and attention to detail (or nearly complete lack thereof) are a sad joke in my opinion.
I remember staying there. The staff was pretty much the same as DLH and PP and other larger hotels. Nothing special and definitely nothing worth the price. I would suspect that Florida's high end hotels are the same.

Tourists. What do they know?

TP2000

I remember staying there. The staff was pretty much the same as DLH and PP and other larger hotels. Nothing special and definitely nothing worth the price. I would suspect that Florida's high end hotels are the same.

Tourists. What do they know?

When at WDW I'm a longtime Poly guy. It's slightly better service than the Grand Californian, but not by much. The WDW properties seem to be coasting on fumes at this point when it comes to service levels. But I'm also now a big Lyft user, and will be staying at a non-Disney hotel on my next WDW visit.

I've had family stay at the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel, but they refuse to do that now. The service levels were just so mediocre that it stings at that price point. Like me, the out of town family will now stay at a much nicer hotel in OC or with me in my home and then Uber/Lyft to the park when they go to Disneyland.

I think it helps that the little kids in my family grew up long ago, and now the "kids" are all in their 20's. I imagine if you've got school aged children or toddlers, staying at the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel is worth putting up with the mediocre and unpolished service levels solely because of the convenience and proximity to the parks.

SuddenStorm

I had my first excursion into the Grand Californian 4 months ago when I attended an event for the DCP. I went again a couple weeks ago for our end of program celebration, which featured a table service dinner, DJ, and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie. Honestly, for a free event, it wasn't half bad!

The dinner was nothing special, with far more effort placed in the presentation of the dish than the flavor or texture-

1578973383288.png

1578973398999.png

1578973610603.png

And here's a photo of (half) the room-

1578973466145.png

And, here's a photo of the event from the official DCP Instagram account (that's me, over there, in the corner)-

DCP 2019 Program Celebration.jpg

TP2000

And, here's a photo of the event from the official DCP Instagram account (that's me, over there, in the corner)-

View attachment 441142

You're the one in the corner? I see you!

That's wonderful. Judging by Mickey in the cap and gown, "DCP" is the college operation where college kids work at Disneyland for a semester? Look at all those fresh young faces working their, um, smiles off at Disneyland. This is genuinely so nice to see! And I love that TDA throws them a dinner dance to celebrate their experience. Bravo TDA!

When you enter the corporate world you will probably have to endure many of those "rubber chicken" dinners in a hotel ballroom throughout your career. But they probably won't have Mickey Mouse and so many fun compatriots like this one did.

unmitigated disaster

The first time I went to Disneyland we stayed at the Grand Californian as my sister then worked at a Disney Store and got the employee rate. As we walked down the long, long, loooooong corridor one night - and we both detest the film - I said "does this remind you of - " and she interrupted "The Shining?" Me: Yes!

Phroobar

Original Poster
The first time I went to Disneyland we stayed at the Grand Californian as my sister then worked at a Disney Store and got the employee rate. As we walked down the long, long, loooooong corridor one night - and we both detest the film - I said "does this remind you of - " and she interrupted "The Shining?" Me: Yes!
Except the Stanley Hotel has much better staff and service.
source.gif

truecoat

Toy Story Parking:

Red Lion Hotel - I've also stayed here twice. Again, if you can find a good deal this is a nice place to stay and is walking distance from the Toy Story shuttles. I do believe they serve continental breakfast, just don't think I've had it.

Clarion - Stayed here Christmas of 2016. The age of the place showed as it was a bit musty in the hallways, but the room wasn't bad at all. No continental breakfast, but it has a restaurant and a bar. It was nice to grab a cocktail before bed.

Hilton Anaheim
- Will be staying here in a couple weeks. Stay tuned.

Clarion-It used to be that if you booked the Clarion through Getaway Today, they'd include parking and a free breakfast. Now it's $5 parking from $13 and reduced price on breakfast but I don't think the breakfast is worth $10 (that's the reduced rate). Being able to practically cross the street to the Toy Story lot makes this hotel still one I'd stay at.

They also have rooms with 2 doubles plus a sofa bed which allows more people to stay.

Best Western Raffles-I stayed here with my family in 2006 and it was perfect for us. One queen bed with a separate room that had a sofa bed and a bunk bed. Again, it is an older hotel and farther down Harbor but lots of space for a family and includes breakfast.

Here's the layout of the room we stayed in.

Raffles.jpg

truecoat

I’ll add that we enjoyed the Howard Johnson the one time we stayed here. And since our stay, the rooms seem to have been remodeled so it looks even nicer. The water play area was so fun for my kids we never even went to the regular pool.

The reason we haven’t returned there was because we found the Park Vue Inn and it has become our favorite hotel to stay at. It is literally the closest hotel across the street from the Disneyland pedestrian entrance off of Harbor and with kids (who up until this point have always liked to take an afternoon break at the hotel pool) the location has made all the difference for us. I’d say it’s about a third of a mile closer than the Howard Johnson from the Disneyland gates. That third of a mile is huge at the end of a tiring night with kids.

They also have a free hot breakfast every morning. You can make your own waffles, they have prepared sausage, breakfast potatoes, bagels, eggs, cereal etc. Saves time and money to grab something there before heading over to the parks in the morning.

The rooms are good sized and clean.

All rooms have microwaves and a small refrigerator too. Good sized bathroom sink area outside of the bathroom so someone can be showering while everyone else still has sink access.

I’ve been recommending them for so many years, I think they owe me a free stay by now!!!

We stayed at Park Vue 2 years ago and walking across the street out of the parking lot was incredibly convenient. I'll be staying there again in the future.

Figments Friend

I have always liked the Days Inn on W. Katella Ave.
This small, 'L' shaped motel is a great spot for a reasonably priced room that is clean ( yet small ) and includes a really yummy 'free' daily breakfast in the lobby.
I stayed here many times during my various adventures in Anaheim, and loved it.
Owners were really nice ( they did me several helpful favors over the years ) and the grounds are tidy and attractive for it's tiny size.
One can walk the 10/15 minutes to the front turnstiles of either Park from the motels front door.

What i liked best about it , besides the reasonable room rates, was the location.
As with any place to stay on W. Katella, it is is close enough to the Parks to be easily accessible yet far enough away from the 'bubble' to keep you away from the shady tourist scene happening on Harbor Blvd.
It's also very scenic, with the gigantic palm trees lining the main streets and the string lighting decorating certain areas on the roadways around Disneyland's immediate Resort area.
For a East Coaster, this is a big plus...as i want to see 'different' things like palm trees while on vacation.
The walk is very enjoyable with lots to see along the way, but also peaceful at night and safe.

Sadly, i had to stop staying at the Days Inn as i guess everyone finally took my advice and started staying there.
There room pricing is nothing like it used to be and has increased about 40% in recent years, so i have had to try other places.
And that's when i tried next door, the Alamo Inn.

Yes, i stayed at the infamous Alamo Inn and survived to tell the tale.
I have actually stayed there TWICE and lived.
And you know what...?
It was not as all as horrendous as it's implied to be.
Very basic, no frills rooming.
But the location is everything.
I stayed here for my first D23 Expo, and again about a year or so later as it was the only option price wise for me at the time.
I would'nt exactly recommend it to visitors as there are many better options, but it if you are a single traveler that just wants a clean bed and shower for a decent price within walking distance, go for it.
It is not the Ritz, but it's not a hole either.
Your mileage may vary.

I have also stayed at the Stay America on S. Clementine, which is a street or two over from Harbor Blvd.
On that particular trip, i was able to get a good room rate for the week.
The rooms and the building itself is set up much like an apartment building, and i felt like i was staying in one the entire time i was there.
It's a place for people to stay for a week , to month, and you get that vibe.
The smell of various ethnic foods cooking in the hallways tipped you off to that.
The walk to the Parks was short, but not as pleasant as from W. Katella.
I would only go back if i needed a place to stay and there were no other options within my price range.

The only official Disney 'Good Neighbor' hotel i have stayed in is the Clarion next to the Anaheim Convention Center.
Been meaning to try it out as they often have good room discounts, but held back a little due to some past reviews.
When i visited Anaheim with a friend last January, we stayed here and it was quite nice.
I would stay again, especially if i went to a Convention again.
Rooms were decent, clean, and the lobby had a Disney service desk as well as a restaurant and lounge on site.
The walk to the Parks was much longer then i am used to ( my friend was in a electric scooter, so it didn't effect him ) and we had to traverse Harbor Blvd. to get there ( which i side with Uncle Walt on...i don't like it ).

On the positive - Harbor Blvd. does have ONE bright spot worth experiencing :
MIMIS Resturant !
Fantastic French themed eatery with a great menu and very yummy offerings.
Pricing is fair and a good value.
Food is very good, as is the coffee!
It's a must visit ( usually multiple times ) when i am in town.

:)

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
MIMIS Resturant !

Mimi's Cafe really? That is just a normal chain restaurant similar to Olive Garden or Red Robin. In fact, it used to be better. Their french onion soup is still good though. It's pretty common in southern California. There are about forty of them in suburban cities. Nothing too special there.

truecoat

I have always liked the Days Inn on W. Katella Ave.
This small, 'L' shaped motel is a great spot for a reasonably priced room that is clean ( yet small ) and includes a really yummy 'free' daily breakfast in the lobby.
I stayed here many times during my various adventures in Anaheim, and loved it.
Owners were really nice ( they did me several helpful favors over the years ) and the grounds are tidy and attractive for it's tiny size.
One can walk the 10/15 minutes to the front turnstiles of either Park from the motels front door.

What i liked best about it , besides the reasonable room rates, was the location.
As with any place to stay on W. Katella, it is is close enough to the Parks to be easily accessible yet far enough away from the 'bubble' to keep you away from the shady tourist scene happening on Harbor Blvd.
It's also very scenic, with the gigantic palm trees lining the main streets and the string lighting decorating certain areas on the roadways around Disneyland's immediate Resort area.
For a East Coaster, this is a big plus...as i want to see 'different' things like palm trees while on vacation.
The walk is very enjoyable with lots to see along the way, but also peaceful at night and safe.

Sadly, i had to stop staying at the Days Inn as i guess everyone finally took my advice and started staying there.
There room pricing is nothing like it used to be and has increased about 40% in recent years, so i have had to try other places.
And that's when i tried next door, the Alamo Inn.

Yes, i stayed at the infamous Alamo Inn and survived to tell the tale.
I have actually stayed there TWICE and lived.
And you know what...?
It was not as all as horrendous as it's implied to be.
Very basic, no frills rooming.
But the location is everything.
I stayed here for my first D23 Expo, and again about a year or so later as it was the only option price wise for me at the time.
I would'nt exactly recommend it to visitors as there are many better options, but it if you are a single traveler that just wants a clean bed and shower for a decent price within walking distance, go for it.
It is not the Ritz, but it's not a hole either.
Your mileage may vary.

I have also stayed at the Stay America on S. Clementine, which is a street or two over from Harbor Blvd.
On that particular trip, i was able to get a good room rate for the week.
The rooms and the building itself is set up much like an apartment building, and i felt like i was staying in one the entire time i was there.
It's a place for people to stay for a week , to month, and you get that vibe.
The smell of various ethnic foods cooking in the hallways tipped you off to that.
The walk to the Parks was short, but not as pleasant as from W. Katella.
I would only go back if i needed a place to stay and there were no other options within my price range.

The only official Disney 'Good Neighbor' hotel i have stayed in is the Clarion next to the Anaheim Convention Center.
Been meaning to try it out as they often have good room discounts, but held back a little due to some past reviews.
When i visited Anaheim with a friend last January, we stayed here and it was quite nice.
I would stay again, especially if i went to a Convention again.
Rooms were decent, clean, and the lobby had a Disney service desk as well as a restaurant and lounge on site.
The walk to the Parks was much longer then i am used to ( my friend was in a electric scooter, so it didn't effect him ) and we had to traverse Harbor Blvd. to get there ( which i side with Uncle Walt on...i don't like it ).

MIMIS Resturant !

For Clarion, just cross the street into the Toy Story lot and catch the bus. We had someone on a scooter and they load it up, it worked very well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom