off base ? On base. is the price difference worth the cost?

bjlc57

Original Poster
If you have been reading along, we are trying to get to WDW this year.

Right now I can get a "value resort" for about $174 per night with the "dining plan"...

or I can stay off base for between $40- 50 per night at like the Seralargo which is where we stayed the last time we were there in 2003.

but to go with that is the cost of a rental car. or be at the mercy of the "shuttle bus" from the hotel.

I would like opinions. true facts.. not made up stories. or I heard this or that. tell me my options.

Why should I stay on base.. especially since its not "monorail connected."

why is staying on base not worth the money.

I want to hear from either side and there is no right or wrong answer as long as its a true statement from your point of view. . what I don't want is just some song and dance.. we are AT THE CRITICAL POINT FOR GO, NO GO..

I need info.

and I am listening to "free dining stories" as well. its it worth it? why or why not..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just the facts....

First of all $174 per night with the dining plan compared to $40-50 per night off site is not apples to apples. You need to back out $80 per day for the dining plan. Doing that you are down to a $44 a night difference using the $50 a night figure. You will also want to be sure that that $50 per night includes all of the applicable taxes and resort fees. In not, that can easily tack on $10-$15 per night. Then as you mentioned there is parking and a rental car to consider. Parking is $12 per day and a rental will cost you around $20 a day or possibly more. Add all that up and in simple dollars and cents you are not saving that much if any at all.

Now we can step into what you are giving up by staying off site. No EMH, no DME, no room charging, paying out of pocket for meals, and no package delivery. If those perks do not benefit you then you can stay off site and possibly save a few bucks.

If you can get free dining it is typically worth it but your party size and resort choice can have a huge effect on this. In your case (2 adults at a value resort) it would be worth is compared to a room only discount.

luvlifeinfl

Here is a link that breaks it all down as far as staying on property. it is alot to type, so I pulled straight from Disney.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts-benefits/

Also personally for us staying on the resort allows for us to just allow Disney do things for us , that by staying at a offsite resort can not provide.

Then there is just being surrounded by the Magic during our full stay.

luvlifeinfl

If you have been reading along, we are trying to get to WDW this year.

Right now I can get a "value resort" for about $174 per night with the "dining plan"...

or I can stay off base for between $40- 50 per night at like the Seralargo which is where we stayed the last time we were there in 2003.

but to go with that is the cost of a rental car. or be at the mercy of the "shuttle bus" from the hotel.

I would like opinions. true facts.. not made up stories. or I heard this or that. tell me my options.

Why should I stay on base.. especially since its not "monorail connected."

why is staying on base not worth the money.

I want to hear from either side and there is no right or wrong answer as long as its a true statement from your point of view. . what I don't want is just some song and dance.. we are AT THE CRITICAL POINT FOR GO, NO GO..

I need info.

and I am listening to "free dining stories" as well. its it worth it? why or why not..

Also was thinking are you flying in? If you are then then is a Magical express that will shuttle you from the airport to the resort, then you can use the bus transportation provided at the resort.

My DH & I drive from VA to Fl and I know once we get there our van sits, we use the transportation provided by Disney.

Like the post below yours it allows EMH ( Extra Magic hours) which means the park is closed to the general public and only open to resort guest. Oh then the fact of the purchasing, gifts, trinkets & the Dining plan is all tied to your room key, so do not need to carry a cc w/you.

As for the dining plan the cost a day depends on w/ one you get.

There is one for Quick service Dining only, then there is Magic your way w/ Dining (which we get) that cost 39.99 a day per person and it consist of 1 table service, 1 counter service & 1 snack. Then there is the Deluxe plan which consist of 3 meals & I think a souviner mug.

So to sum this all up is that Staying at Disney offers alot more for what you pay for than paying something cheaper and basically just having somewhere to sleep.

Wilt Dasney

It sounds like on the dollar front, it's going to be a wash either way.

If you could have the freedom of a car without paying much more in the end, I'd probably take that route. Disney transportation gets you where you need to go, but it's not the most convenient thing in the world.

I guess the other variable is the dining plan. It sounds like it'll be about $80 a day for two (?) people. Unless you have really expensive tastes, you could eat for about that without the DP, but you might not get as much food.

I'd say weigh those out. Do you feel like you'd get a better deal on food with the dining plan (as opposed to having more meal vouchers than you need), and do you think you'd prefer having a car to untether yourself from Disney property once in a while? If it's Yes/No, stay on property. If it's No/Yes, get a hotel down the road. If it's yes or no to both, flip a coin. :lol:

bjlc57

Original Poster
we figure that..

if our hotel has a complementary breakfast, we shouldn't spend more then $40 total a day to feed the two of us.. in fact, one of my biggest concerns is that is there enough water on the free dining plan, if its going to be hot.. the last time that we drove to Disney world we brought 53 bottles of Power aid, that we got on sale for 50 cents or less apiece in Wisconsin.. as opposed to spending $3 for a smaller bottle at the theme parks.

so if we "get the dining plan" and still have out of pocket money spent on either food or drinks, well, that's really adding to the cost.

one of the reasons for getting a car, is so you can take a day away from disney. I really want to go to Silver Springs.

and another reason is to SHOP for Groceries. if I go to the Walmart in Kissimmi I can buy my own gator aid or power aid and take it to the parks.. for way less then $3 a bottle.

for us, we never eaten at a major restaurant in Disney World. NEVER. not after having looked at their prices. So we would eat a big breakfast, know where the cheap hot dogs are in each park, and have a frozen Mickey on a stick and go.. or a turkey leg. and then eat at Pizza Hut, or China Jade, or some place like that out side of the park.

One year we ate three times at the China Jade off the Bee Line. for an all you can eat buffet and ice cream to boot.

so $80 for the two of us to eat, well its not exactly that. it doesn't seem to shake out that way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
if our hotel has a complementary breakfast, we shouldn't spend more then $40 total a day to feed the two of us.. in fact, one of my biggest concerns is that is there enough water on the free dining plan, if its going to be hot.. the last time that we drove to Disney world we brought 53 bottles of Power aid, that we got on sale for 50 cents or less apiece in Wisconsin.. as opposed to spending $3 for a smaller bottle at the theme parks.

so if we "get the dining plan" and still have out of pocket money spent on either food or drinks, well, that's really adding to the cost.

one of the reasons for getting a car, is so you can take a day away from disney. I really want to go to Silver Springs.

and another reason is to SHOP for Groceries. if I go to the Walmart in Kissimmi I can buy my own gator aid or power aid and take it to the parks.. for way less then $3 a bottle.

for us, we never eaten at a major restaurant in Disney World. NEVER. not after having looked at their prices. So we would eat a big breakfast, know where the cheap hot dogs are in each park, and have a frozen Mickey on a stick and go.. or a turkey leg. and then eat at Pizza Hut, or China Jade, or some place like that out side of the park.

One year we ate three times at the China Jade off the Bee Line. for an all you can eat buffet and ice cream to boot.

so $80 for the two of us to eat, well its not exactly that. it doesn't seem to shake out that way.
Again you are comparing two different things, While you can eat for less that $40 per day per person you can not eat on property in the manner that the DDP allows you to for less that $40 per day per person. If you don't plan on eating like the DDP affords you to then it won't be of any value to you.

Based on the additional information you provide in your follow up post I would stay off site.

Wilt Dasney

Based on what you're saying, I think you should stay off-property. I guess I'm kind of a humbug compared to other people here, but I've always felt like Disney food and lodging are overpriced and not much better than you'll find anywhere else...especially if you're thinking of staying in a value resort.

If you'd spend less than what the Dining Plan costs eating off-property (AND not feel like you're missing anything with the Disney restaurants) and actually get some use out of the car, I'd take the cheap hotel without thinking twice. If you think of a room as a place to sleep and shower (which it sounds like you might), I don't think you'll be missing a thing. You can always wander around the high-end resorts on your own time to get some of the flavor of Disney resort theming.

bjlc57

Original Poster
and I am concerned about the Busses..

every thing I have read here has been critical of the Disney Bus Service. My wife has a bad knee.. walking is fine. STANDING IS NOT. if you have to wait for 30 minutes for a bus.. well is that worth it? or is the bus packed to the gills..

we are really debating this. if you get your own car, is it faster or easier to get to and from the parks.

and I have really yet to hear some one say, its really special BEING ON BASE, that its just feeling like you are in the park, even when you are not..

I really thought that I would hear more of that, then anything.. and so far I haven't really heard any of that.

for us, the hotel is just a "place to sleep".. as long as its safe, and clean, I really don't mind. most rooms look the same with the lights out..

Wilt Dasney

we are really debating this. if you get your own car, is it faster or easier to get to and from the parks.

In my experience, it is definitely faster, assuming your hotel is close by. Easier depends on how much you hate driving, but the area is pretty easy to navigate.

and I have really yet to hear some one say, its really special BEING ON BASE, that its just feeling like you are in the park, even when you are not..
There's really nothing special about the value resorts, in my opinion. They could be almost any hotel. (I've only stayed at Pop, but I haven't heard anything spectacular about the All-Stars either.) If you were asking about the GF or Poly, it might be a different story.

Sorry if I'm hogging your thread here, but I have pretty strong opinions in this area, which it sounds like you pretty much share. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
every thing I have read here has been critical of the Disney Bus Service. My wife has a bad knee.. walking is fine. STANDING IS NOT. if you have to wait for 30 minutes for a bus.. well is that worth it? or is the bus packed to the gills..

I really thought that I would hear more of that, then anything.. and so far I haven't really heard any of that.

for us, the hotel is just a "place to sleep".. as long as its safe, and clean, I really don't mind. most rooms look the same with the lights out..
You asked for just facts so that is what most of us are giving

Personally I hate staying off property no matter what the cost savings are. Last year we stayed for 9 days in a cabin roughly a 1/2 hour drive from AK for only a couple of hundred bucks and I was miserable. It seemed to take forever to drive to the parks, I missed being surrounded by Disney 24/7 and I really missed the quality of a Disney resort and the exceptional service given by Disney cast members.

DisneyJoe

if you get your own car, is it faster or easier to get to and from the parks.

Depends on many things. IMHO, for the MK, no, as you need to park and then take either the Monorail or the ferry to get to the gates; the bus drops you not far from the gates.

You sound like you already have your mind made up, and you aren't making fair comparisons. Much can be done to save money while staying on site.

I personally buy 1 bottle of water per day and refill it from the water fountains and get free ice...saves me tons of money.

Have you even investigated what the Disney Dining plan gives you? Do you understand that the free plan is giving you $40 per person per night of food? (depending on what you eat, the value could be much greater) Most people who criticize the plan say that it gives you too much food...and in September you get it for free.

durangojim

I think it also depends on what kind of traveller you are regarding Disneyworld:
1. A room is just for sleeping and I want the lowest price possible.
2. The resort is part of the vacation and it's amenities are important
3. I like being on Disney property but I don't spend much time at the resort

If you are type 1, then I'd stay at a less expensive resort off property.
If you are type 2, then I'd stay at a Moderate or Deluxe Disney Resort
If you are type 3, then I'd stay at a value resort.

We are type 3 people. My wife and I have a 3 year old and 1 year old. We usually stay at the Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, or Grand Florian. The fact that we don't have to worry about our luggage and rent are car by using Magical Express and the resort check in service are huge advantages to us. Being able to use Disney transportation, whether it is a monorail, boat or bus is also a huge advantage. Especially nice is the ability to walk to our resort from EPCOT or even MGM. When we're at Disney we don't leave Disney (at least while our kids are little), we like to remain immersed in the fantasy. When I was growing up (20-30 years ago) my family and I stayed off property, we had a wonderful time and created many happy memories, especially of staying in the parks all day, and walking around the parking lot at midnight looking for our car. As time went on and more resorts became available on Disney property we began to stay there and the benefits far exceed some of the extra cost. Either way you'll have a great time, just try to figure out what you're looking for in your vacation.

foreverbelle

truthfully i think its all in the matter of your own preference. I love staying on just for the peace of mind of everything that Disney offers. But I know plenty of people that stay off site and they have just as great of time.

figgyfan

We stayed off property in 2003, and we were at the mercy of the hotel shuttle bus. Not only did it stop at other hotels in the area.(we didn't know this when we boarded), but we missed the last bus back to the hotel, and we were stranded! A very WONDERFUL cm at DD drove us back to our hotel in a Disney van. We have stayed on the property ever since. It is also very helpful when you have teenagers with you, who want to go off and do their own thing, and meet up with you later.

RiversideBunny

You could save a lot of money by staying home, but then you would not be at WDW, would you?

Same thing applies, for a lesser amount, to staying off property.

For us being on property is very much a part of the trip.
It wouldn't be a WDW experience if not staying in a WDW resort.

Good luck.
:)

Air Force term- 'On Base'
Army term- 'On Post'
WDW term- 'On Property'
Canadian WDW term- 'On Property, Eh'

brucie

Stay on site!!!! We have done it with the free dining plan 3 times at Pop Century... It's awesome. We have stayed off site before but I can honestly say we will never go unless we stay in Disney. You don't need a rental car the buses work great!! And the Food!!!! eating a table service meal everyday is wicked especially when you don't have to look at the price. There is just so many options for food on the dining plan I can't say enough good about it.

Mukta

I can't imagine ever staying offsite.
I love being immersed in Disney. When I have my key to the world, I feel at home. I use it to buy what I want and they send it to my room. I use it to have fun in the parks all day and then use it to come home and sleep at night.
The free dining plan gives me a chance to eat in restaurants I wouldn't have experienced otherwise. The Sci-fi Cafe is kitsch, Les Chefs is elegant and Boma is heavenly.
The convenience of Disney transportation is wonderful. Using Magical Express means I don't carry luggage and free transportation to my resort. Sitting in a bus, ferry or monorail means someone else is in charge and I simply enjoy the ride. I don't look for directions or pay for gas.

njDizFan

Sounds like the OP is very "frugal" and may not see the value of staying in a park resort.

Generally it is a little cheaper to stay off-site, but the intangibles are hard to put a dollar figure on.

I think the answer is obvious if you are planning on spending less than $40 per couple a day on food.....the DDP is not for you.

generally we like to budget for at least $100/day for food and drink per couple, averaged between signature dining, table service, dinner shows, drinks etc....

not saying I am wealthy or anything is wrong with being frugal just don't like to think about money when I'm at WDW.

:wave: It also depends if you want to try a different type of vacation. We have stayed off and on site but we have decided that we like on much more.We used to stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree on 525, we were pleased with the hotel but grew tired of driving back and forth when we were already tired from a day in the park. We also enjoy the meals at Disney, it is part of our vacation, we don't normally eat that much as a rule but the plan allows us to try new things and old favorites as well. We use the plan for lunch and dinner. Our son will have a light breakfast at the food court before we go OOP. For the week we spend less than 75.00 for the 3 of us on breakfast. We also stay at Pop now instead of the moderates or deluxe. I love ME for transport to and from the hotel. We love the night EMH, I have heart problems so if it's too hot during the day we stay until the end of EMH to make up for it!! ( I like the parks at night too!) We don't feel as rushed by staying on site. Good luck ,you'll have fun either way:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom