Odds of a Space Mountain Refurbishment in 2021

Monorail_Orange

I touched part of the structure once on MK SM when I held up my arms in the middle of the ride. My finger tips slightly brushed against the metal ... somebody taller than me might do a little more damage. I've never heard of anyone getting injured that way, but it shouldn't happen at all.

Some perspective: once on Dueling Dragons when we came to a halt outside the station, a red-hot piece of brake pad or something fell on my arm and left a tiny burn that stung for a minute. That was good for a family Express pass that we used to ride The Mummy about 5 times in the last hour before closing.
I had the same experience a few years ago (slightly brushing fingertips against MK SM structure while riding). That was the last time I rode SM with hands up.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm still surprised at how "tight" the tunnels are. I'll never forget the first time I touched the top of the "charge" tunnel. It was shocking because I didn't do anything special to do that and it's also super staticky. The reentry tunnel is even lower. As someone that almost always puts their hands up on a coaster, that's the first and only time I touched something.
I can't ride Space Mountain without thinking about the time my hands touched the re-entry tunnel. I was not trying, and I am by NO means tall . . .

. . . I still find myself getting in line for Space Mountain these days, but I tend to try to make peace with my god before I do.

N2dru

At some point Disney will HAVE to replace those 45 yo tracks, especially if they want to continue operating it. Their hand was forced to replace DL's track because it was literally cracked in places and moments away from collapsing from age and the added weight of the onboard audio. We can hope our version gets track replacement before that happens or at least once Tron opens. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:

MadTeacup

At some point Disney will HAVE to replace those 45 yo tracks, especially if they want to continue operating it. Their hand was forced to replace DL's track because it was literally cracked in places and moments away from collapsing from age and the added weight once audio was added to their rockets. We can hope our version gets track replacement before that happens or at least once Tron opens. Fingers crossed...
Agreed, but as I suggested previously, the track condition is currently more of a maintenance headache than a safety concern. They could continue patching it up for probably another decade or more. I would also hope that such a headliner would get the attention it needs so badly, but if Everest is any example... yeah...

No Name

This is starting to sound like Expedition Everest all over again. So many people thought that once Avatar was open they would certainly take Everest down to fix the Yeti.

Agreed, but the Magic Kingdom has a relatively solid number of major attractions, including roller coasters, so losing one is less of a burden. I think people would be less disappointed if SM is closed than if Everest is closed.

Or you could have communism and have nothing, just look at Venezuela. Sorry just sick of people down talking capitalism even though it's the best system in the world. Move if you don't like it.

There’s a politics and social issues subforum if you want to spew these uncalled for opinions.

General Mayhem

Agreed, but the Magic Kingdom has a relatively solid number of major attractions, including roller coasters, so losing one is less of a burden. I think people would be less disappointed if SM is closed than if Everest is closed.

There’s a politics and social issues subforum if you want to spew these uncalled for opinions.
Just spewing facts, not opinions, you can look up history and current events if you want evidence.

gmajew

Premium Member
Just take it down now.... screw it people will be flocking to park when they open no matter what use the time when People are just thrilled to be out of the house

EricsBiscuit

I mean if Disney knew they were gonna be closed for months, they should have taken the opportunity to refurbish these attractions, even if they couldn’t do all the major work now, at least lay the groundwork for a future refurb.

Disney Maddux

After reading this thread, I am shocked because I am 6'2, always put my hands up whenever I ride SM, and never ONCE touched the metal bars.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I mean if Disney knew they were gonna be closed for months, they should have taken the opportunity to refurbish these attractions, even if they couldn’t do all the major work now, at least lay the groundwork for a future refurb.

Even if they did. Still wouldn't fix YETI. Nor, lay groundwork for the fixing of YETI. YETI is on his own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom