Odds of a Space Mountain Refurbishment in 2021

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The problem is, normal folks (not us), don't plan trips around a refurbished coaster track. Capitalism 101 unfortunately.

It's not about capitalism, it's about safety.

Remember that there are multiple posts around here stating that the track was spray painted where it was going to be cut for removal around 2008, and you can still spot some of the spray paint today if you're lucky enough to catch a glimpse of SM with the lights on (and know where to look). But yet here we are, 11+ years since that was supposed to happen, riding the same track that was going to be removed and replaced because of safety concerns at that time. Someone said the track is "weld upon weld upon weld" in some places. Trim brakes were installed to lessen the stress on the aging track.

Say one of those welds ultimately breaks at 3pm on some Sunday, causing multiple injuries (and NO, I do NOT want that to happen in any way, shape, or form). How does that look to the general public that "doesn't plan trips around refurbished coaster track"? Sounds like a PR nightmare to me.

trainplane3

It's not about capitalism, it's about safety.

Remember that there are multiple posts around here stating that the track was spray painted where it was going to be cut for removal around 2008, and you can still spot some of the spray paint today if you're lucky enough to catch a glimpse of SM with the lights on (and know where to look). But yet here we are, 11+ years since that was supposed to happen, riding the same track that was going to be removed and replaced because of safety concerns at that time. Someone said the track is "weld upon weld upon weld" in some places. Trim brakes were installed to lessen the stress on the aging track.

Say one of those welds ultimately breaks at 3pm on some Sunday, causing multiple injuries (and NO, I do NOT want that to happen in any way, shape, or form). How does that look to the general public that "doesn't plan trips around refurbished coaster track"? Sounds like a PR nightmare to me.
I think DLs SM closed unexpectedly sooner then it was planned. Didn't people get to the park and find out it was closed and then next day they announced the refurb started? I don't think any source has ever commented on why it went into refurb sooner.

Is it bad to say I wish they would install speakers into the ride vehicles. Have a full soundtrack like the Disneyland version?
It's a realistic request. Along with all effects working. The layout is perfect. Just replace and upgrade.

I know, "just" isn't the right word at all.

lazyboy97o

Is it bad to say I wish they would install speakers into the ride vehicles. Have a full soundtrack like the Disneyland version?
So that it’ll finally fall apart and have to be replaced? Absolutely.
Right, I remember you saying that before but it was never specified what the cause of the sudden closure was. I could make a few guesses but obviously it's still something that shouldn't be out in the open.

Still appreciate the info!
The track had finally failed beyond repair. The attraction was undergoing intense scrutiny every night to keep patching it back together. Had the failure occurred a few hours sooner or later the coaster would have likely experienced a major failure with guests on board.

TrainsOfDisney

So that it’ll finally fall apart and have to be replaced? Absolutely.

The track had finally failed beyond repair. The attraction was undergoing intense scrutiny every night to keep patching it back together. Had the failure occurred a few hours sooner or later the coaster would have likely experienced a major failure with guests on board.

Similar to the major failure at big thunder that killed guests in a horrific way.... because of a lack of maintenance.

lazyboy97o

Similar to the major failure at big thunder that killed guests in a horrific way.... because of a lack of maintenance.
Not quite. Space Mountain’s track failed while being intensely monitored due to known concerns regarding the impact of the heavier ride vehicles on the structure. While Space Mountain was no doubt neglected like everything else in the Pressler-Harris years, I’m not sure any amount of maintenance would have been able to overcome the simple fact that the coaster was carrying too much weight it was never designed to carry.

A Noble Fish

Maintenance at the resorts is far and away better than Disneyland at the time, but no amount of maintenance will stop an inevitable miss. They were fortunate to have been monitoring Space Mountain closely at the time as well.

It seems like a no brainer, but my guess is they want to pair it with a pricey queue modernization. It does look dated after all, and it will be all the more apparent after TRON opens.

WDW862

Unfortunately a track can apparently go on for decades being an uncomfortable back-breaker and still pass safety ... old Gwazi at BG Tampa comes to mind.

I don't mind Space Mountain personally ... there are lots of other things they could fix, upgrade and replace that would make me happy.
I kinda enjoy Space Mountains roughness (I like old, bumpy coasters like Kumba), but I understand why others don't.

Josh Hendy

I kinda enjoy Space Mountains roughness (I like old, bumpy coasters like Kumba), but I understand why others don't.
Kumba... that's the coaster I disliked so much in Busch Gardens! Tied with Montu in 2nd place after (old) Gwazi.

I never minded the bumpiness of SM but after reading a few of the posts on here I'm getting concerned. I know they carefully inspect the track and vehicles every morning and test them empty before CMs ride them, but this stuff about welding and being on the verge of replacing the track then cancelling is a bit too lackadaisical for my taste.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom