Odds of a Space Mountain Refurbishment in 2021

GymLeaderPhil

I honestly would like them to scrap and gut the whole interior at this point like they did when World of Motion transitioned to Test Track.

There’s very little operational benefit of having two duel tracks - you cannot work on one of them with the other one running. And guests only visibly see the other side running in tandem, if vehicles happen to be dispatched near the exact same time, during the lift hill.

One single track would not only lengthen the ride time, but add so much more room to properly make the attraction as friendly as possible to guests with disabilities. Spur off line to load guests on and off who require more time. A standby queue that doesn’t have stairs.

They could also get rid of the operational nightmare of having trains of single seating in two cars that seat three each. Just stand and watch the poor Cast Members who have to assign seats for a hour in a dark and loud environment, splitting up parties, looking for single riders, etc.

The added space in the building could allow for Disney to finally take the PeopleMover down for a similar complete overhaul - moving the loading and unloading into a station inside Space Mountain itself. Maybe moving the storage/maintenance area off to the side of the Buzz/Monsters building for added room.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was this caused by a specific incident?
The track had finally failed beyond repair. The attraction was undergoing intense scrutiny every night to keep patching it back together. Had the failure occurred a few hours sooner or later the coaster would have likely experienced a major failure with guests on board.
Not quite. Space Mountain’s track failed while being intensely monitored due to known concerns regarding the impact of the heavier ride vehicles on the structure. While Space Mountain was no doubt neglected like everything else in the Pressler-Harris years, I’m not sure any amount of maintenance would have been able to overcome the simple fact that the coaster was carrying too much weight it was never designed to carry.

A Noble Fish

Was this caused by a specific incident?
lazyboy97o said:
The track had finally failed beyond repair. The attraction was undergoing intense scrutiny every night to keep patching it back together. Had the failure occurred a few hours sooner or later the coaster would have likely experienced a major failure with guests on board.
lazyboy97o said:
Not quite. Space Mountain’s track failed while being intensely monitored due to known concerns regarding the impact of the heavier ride vehicles on the structure. While Space Mountain was no doubt neglected like everything else in the Pressler-Harris years, I’m not sure any amount of maintenance would have been able to overcome the simple fact that the coaster was carrying too much weight it was never designed to carry.
Is there any evidence Orlando's is at the stage it could be facing these specific issues as well?

Or has the somewhat separate lifespan issue been mitigated by trim brakes, etc.?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Kumba... that's the coaster I disliked so much in Busch Gardens! Tied with Montu in 2nd place after (old) Gwazi.
Well, that's why there's Slinky... for folks who can't handle Montu and Kumba. ;)
I never minded the bumpiness of SM but after reading a few of the posts on here I'm getting concerned. I know they carefully inspect the track and vehicles every morning and test them empty before CMs ride them, but this stuff about welding and being on the verge of replacing the track then cancelling is a bit too lackadaisical for my taste.
They carefully inspected the Fireball, too... especially after the hidden rust spot inside the arm failed.
1582642394491.png

General Mayhem

I honestly would like them to scrap and gut the whole interior at this point like they did when World of Motion transitioned to Test Track.

There’s very little operational benefit of having two duel tracks - you cannot work on one of them with the other one running. And guests only visibly see the other side running in tandem, if vehicles happen to be dispatched near the exact same time, during the lift hill.

One single track would not only lengthen the ride time, but add so much more room to properly make the attraction as friendly as possible to guests with disabilities. Spur off line to load guests on and off who require more time. A standby queue that doesn’t have stairs.

They could also get rid of the operational nightmare of having trains of single seating in two cars that seat three each. Just stand and watch the poor Cast Members who have to assign seats for a hour in a dark and loud environment, splitting up parties, looking for single riders, etc.

The added space in the building could allow for Disney to finally take the PeopleMover down for a similar complete overhaul - moving the loading and unloading into a station inside Space Mountain itself. Maybe moving the storage/maintenance area off to the side of the Buzz/Monsters building for added room.
Poo on you I like the two tracks, go to the other resorts if you want one track.

A Noble Fish

Disneyland’s? That was completely replaced 15 years ago.

Orlando’s substructure and majority of track is over 45 years old now.
No not Disneyland's haha. The swamp's, and if it has weight issues as Anaheim did, or if just that instead general de-aging will retire it.

casuter

Worst Idea Ever! Space Mountain is just fine if they would refurbish and replace the show scenes with something new and fresh...A Toy Story overlay would be tragic...especially with a Buzz Lightyear attraction next door. Space Mountain needs no IP......That would be like adding a Bo Peep overlay onto The Matterhorn...lol
Yuck.
I mean Bo Peep on the Matterhorn does sound pretty nice...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom