Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Mac Tonight

And yet my point still stands. Just because you and others in the Disney community think its an important piece of the SoCal economy doesn't mean other people do too. This was shown this weekend.
And yet... just because people didn't turn out in droves doesn't mean Disneyland isn't an important piece of SoCal economy (Anaheim especially). All your "point" boils down to, is your opinion. Facts don't care about your feelings.

LastoneOn

And yet my point still stands. Just because you and others in the Disney community think its an important piece of the SoCal economy doesn't mean other people do too. This was shown this weekend.
and yet his point still stands: people that don't think Disney is important to SoCal are simply ignorant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And yet... just because people didn't turn out in droves doesn't mean Disneyland isn't an important piece of SoCal economy (Anaheim especially). All your "point" boils down to, is your opinion. Facts don't care about your feelings.
Except when we're talking about about public sentiment it does matter, especially when you're talking about a public policy.

Yes theme parks ARE an important piece of the SoCal economy, that was never in question. However the very fact that the public at large are either uninformed of this fact or just don't care is very telling. And shows what some here have been stating for awhile, that there is a large portion of this state that don't think theme parks are important enough to reopen right now. And honestly there is no fault in this thinking.

cmwade77

Actually, it doesn't stand, many people may not have even heard there was going to be a rally at all, how can they turn up at an event they know nothing about?

The reality is that it is your opinion, but that doesn't make it accurate.

Mac Tonight

Except when we're talking about about public sentiment it does matter, especially when you're talking about a public policy.

Yes theme parks ARE an important piece of the SoCal economy, that was never in question. However the very fact that the public at large are either uninformed of this fact or just don't care is very telling. And shows what some here have been stating for awhile, that there is a large portion of this state that don't think theme parks are important enough to reopen right now. And honestly there is no fault in this thinking.
There is fault in your thinking, but that's OK.
The fact is, it's an incredible overreach of logic to assume that everyone who cares about Disneyland in the slightest is:
a) an avid forum reader/poster and would even know about this protest
b) within driving distance of Anaheim to even make the protest in the first place
c) under the assumption that holding up a sign on the corner of Harbor Blvd will make a difference

You weren't at the rally... so should we assume you don't care about the parks re-opening?

el_super

Oh boy, after begging Newsom to keep the parks closed they want them reopened now they realize many of their union members won't have jobs if this continues?

Nothing of the sort. The unions made specific demands to Disney, and while Disney initially said they were pointless, eventually agreed to them. Now that Disney has implemented testing for Cast Members, the unions are comfortable with reopening. Had Disney just agreed to those provisions back in May, the unions may have been on their side this whole time.

cmwade77

He did mention the difference between smaller and larger parks right before this though, I wonder if he's going to issue small park guidelines before the larger parks.
As I said in the other thread, it is also quite possible that it will go the other direction because the larger parks are more capable of social distancing. This is honestly a toss up here.

cmwade77

Very possible, but it is a step in the right direction.

Now the question will be if Disney and Universal will balk again and ask them not to issue the guidelines this time.
It really depends which way it goes. Of course, as I mentioned before, it also depends what way this lawsuit goes:

Based on this, I think the theme park guidelines coming out tomorrow are mostly because of the unions, but is also being used as a political stunt and trying to find some way to try to come up with a defense that Newsom doesn't have.

No matter what, the next two weeks are going to be interesting for a variety of reasons. Again, if the trial has the fourth outcome, all of the state of emergency goes away. Of course Newsom will file for a stay of ruling while he appeals, but hopefully the supreme court would uphold the ruling as well. So it wouldn't result in an immediate reopening, but in a relative quick reopening of everything if it went that way.

Bear550

As I said in the other thread, it is also quite possible that it will go the other direction because the larger parks are more capable of social distancing. This is honestly a toss up here.
Actually the more I think about it, this way would make more sense, yet to the general population, I think it makes more sense to open smaller parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom