Observations from Trip last week

scotth1224

Original Poster
I just returned from my first and probably last solo trip to the world. I say that because I enjoyed my trip immensely but was very lonely after a couple of days and was missing my wife and son who were not able to go this trip.
Having said that, as I am sure anyone who has gone solo can attest to this....Being alone is like getting a backstage pass into other guests lives and gives a unique perspective on other guests and the parks in general.

This is not a trip report so I am posting here because I would like to get a few things off my chest.

First....Kudos to EVERY CAST MEMBER that I ran into....Did not have one foul or grumpy cast member my entire trip. One odd Bus Driver who liked to hear himself talk on the intercom and told me his entire history of what when and where he likes to Drink (Tequila by the way...and he likes to get the tequila flights in the Mexico Pavilion...but prefers Silver Patron)

Brazilian Tour Groups......There were alot around last week, the most I have ever seen, but I never go in the summer so I have no point of reference. Overall, I found them to be well behaved....some chanting here and there but not too bad....I stayed at POR(Loved it BTW) and there was at least one or two groups staying there and never heard or saw any trouble.

POR....First time at this resort...Absolutely fell in love with it.
Reason I bring it up, I faxed in a room request 3 days prior to arrival (First Time I have ever Done This)..Requested a ground floor room in Magnolia Terrace near transportation. Now I realize it is a slower time of year, but I received exactly what I asked for. Could not have handpicked a better room for myself! Good Job Room Assigner!!!!!

Universal Islands of Adventure.....Hogwarts looking Kick A$@...Cant wait till its finished.

Paradisio 37......Eat here...Skirt steak with Chimmichuri (SP) .....Awesome....Best thing I ate all week....Otherwise food was just so-so.... Biggest disappointment in food was breakfast at Liberty Tree (they are serving character breakfast because of CP rehab)....YUCK!
Teppan Edo....Yummy....I sat at a table with non english speakers but still had a good time!

Weather.....started the week in the 20's ended in the 70's.......was awesome standing on main street watching wishes with the castle dream lights still up drinking hot chocolate and seeing your breath....priceless!

Crowds...Light and very enjoyable

Undiscovered Future World Tour......I can see if you don't know anything about Epcot or Walt Disney or WDW in general how it might be interesting, however if I were to guess most if not all the people on this board already know 100% of the info on the tour. Backstage areas....not very interesting, VIP lounges look old tired and dated...and ALOT of WALKING!!!!!!

OK...Now on to the bad.....now remember, being by myself and not engaged in my own conversations, I am sure my perception was amplified due to all I did was listen to others. I came to a realization....ALL CAST MEMBERS SHOULD HAVE A FASTPASS TO HEAVEN BECAUSE.........(wait for it)..........On a whole WDW GUESTS ARE A HUGE GROUP OF SELF ABSORBED, SELFISH A-HOLES!!!!!!!!
I say this with the greatest respect and admiration for those guests that aren't because it seemed to me that the A-Holes outnumbered the good 2-1.
Now I know that I am going to get lambasted for the following remarks but I just call it the way I see it.

To our Latin spanish speaking friends.......THERE IS NO REASON TO SHOUT........ALLLLLLLL TTHHHHEEEEE TIMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Also pretending that you don't understand english does not give you an excuse to cut lines and ignore cast members.
To people who take flash photos on dark rides.......I HOPE U GO BLIND!
I cannot tell you how many....I take that back....there was not one dark ride all week where some a-hole was not shooting pics facing backward in the row in front of me so all I saw all ride long was FLASH FLASH....then orange green spots while my eyes readjust..then FLASH FLASH.......I got so mad I finally said something and the jerk just shrugged and kept on.....

OK here goes.....Deep breath......Ready for my verbal lambast!
I am from the south.....I am not a hick or a redneck....I live in a city...we have running water and toilets.....
We also live by a code of unspoken politeness.....If two people are approaching each other in opposite directions, one has no room to go anywhere, the other has all the room in the world, the southern or IMO polite thing to do is to step aside and give the oncoming person some room.....not just plow ahead oblivious to anyone or anything.
All Week......Plowed over by people who will not budge....Drives me insane!
Now I am sure this is a cultural difference between people in our own country, but almost exclusively when this happened to me and the other party was talking.....they were always from the North....(yankees as we might call them)
Maybe this is a learned behavior in Boston or NY because of the sheer number of people, but we are at WDW and its not that busy or crowded....I beg of You....Please show a little respect for those around you.
Also all the complaining, screaming at cast members, beating of kids, verbally abusing kids (You would be shocked at the frequency and things I heard people say to there kids....Its no wonder our kids grow up all F up'd)
Again the common string running through all these incidents was that they all seemed to have heavy thick northern accents....I just point this out not because other people are immune from these activities, this was just my experience.

Overall I had a great trip.....my only complaint as far as Disney Goes...is that I think that they owe people an explanation as to why people are scratching their heads when they get off Everest going....Did anyone see the Yeti? Where was the Yeti? Thats not what I saw on TV.....
I rode Everest 6 times last week and heard it everytime I got off the ride.....they should post something so people can understand why they cant find the yeti.

WDW is awesome...I love it....I just wish people would be a little kinder to each other and to the people that make the magic happen, the Cast members.....If any of you read this....please know that I appreciate what you do...and I think you all ROCK![/FONT]
[/FONT]

xtina72

Silver Patron
:slurp:

Also pretending that you don't understand english does not give you an excuse to cut lines and ignore cast members.

I HATE THIS! I find it INCREDIBLY rude and If I was a cast member I would probably kill someone.

Now I am sure this is a cultural difference between people in our own country, but almost exclusively when this happened to me and the other party was talking.....they were always from the North....(yankees as we might call them)
Maybe this is a learned behavior in Boston or NY because of the sheer number of people, but we are at WDW and its not that busy or crowded....I beg of You....Please show a little respect for those around you.
I am a "yankee" as you say, born and raised, and I can tell you this IS NOT the norm in my world, I have noticed it being done alot in WDW and it annoys me also, I would love it if you didnt lump all us New Yorkers/ Long Islanders into the "rude" category because it is just not true.

scotth1224

Original Poster

I HATE THIS! I find it INCREDIBLY rude and If I was a cast member I would probably kill someone.

I am a "yankee" as you say, born and raised, and I can tell you this IS NOT the norm in my world, I have noticed it being done alot in WDW and it annoys me also, I would love it if you didnt lump all us New Yorkers/ Long Islanders into the "rude" category because it is just not true.

Like I said later, I mean no disrespect to those that are not guilty....just stating my observations.....I am sure there were some rude midwesterner, rednecks and everyone else......I just didn't run into any this trip...

Dads 2 Boys

This was absolutely f'ing hysterical. :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

I live in the Albany, NY area and unfortunately most people above the Mason"dixon line would plow u over rather than....oh...I don't know....move 2 ft to their right!!! I'm from here and it drives me nuts and I try to instill common courtesy to my my two sons.

On my trip in December, it did appear many guests feel like because they are in WDW, the courtesy and politeness portion of their brains can be turned off.

On a related personal note, before my trip this past Dec (2009), my most recent trip was 12/07 and it was the first time for both my boys (7 & 10 then). I went with my fiancee and her family this trip and my kids didn't go (they are going this yr with my ex and in 2011 with me and it was my oldest's first yr in middle school...). It was tough many times during my visit being there without them so I feel your pain not having them with you. :( I don't think I will ever go again without them until they are over 21...:lol:

rickmusic53

I just returned from my first and probably last solo trip to the world. I say that because I enjoyed my trip immensely but was very lonely after a couple of days and was missing my wife and son who were not able to go this trip.
Having said that, as I am sure anyone who has gone solo can attest to this....Being alone is like getting a backstage pass into other guests lives and gives a unique perspective on other guests and the parks in general.

This is not a trip report so I am posting here because I would like to get a few things off my chest.

First....Kudos to EVERY CAST MEMBER that I ran into....Did not have one foul or grumpy cast member my entire trip. One odd Bus Driver who liked to hear himself talk on the intercom and told me his entire history of what when and where he likes to Drink (Tequila by the way...and he likes to get the tequila flights in the Mexico Pavilion...but prefers Silver Patron)

Brazilian Tour Groups......There were alot around last week, the most I have ever seen, but I never go in the summer so I have no point of reference. Overall, I found them to be well behaved....some chanting here and there but not too bad....I stayed at POR(Loved it BTW) and there was at least one or two groups staying there and never heard or saw any trouble.

POR....First time at this resort...Absolutely fell in love with it.
Reason I bring it up, I faxed in a room request 3 days prior to arrival (First Time I have ever Done This)..Requested a ground floor room in Magnolia Terrace near transportation. Now I realize it is a slower time of year, but I received exactly what I asked for. Could not have handpicked a better room for myself! Good Job Room Assigner!!!!!

Universal Islands of Adventure.....Hogwarts looking Kick A$@...Cant wait till its finished.

Paradisio 37......Eat here...Skirt steak with Chimmichuri (SP) .....Awesome....Best thing I ate all week....Otherwise food was just so-so.... Biggest disappointment in food was breakfast at Liberty Tree (they are serving character breakfast because of CP rehab)....YUCK!
Teppan Edo....Yummy....I sat at a table with non english speakers but still had a good time!

Weather.....started the week in the 20's ended in the 70's.......was awesome standing on main street watching wishes with the castle dream lights still up drinking hot chocolate and seeing your breath....priceless!

Crowds...Light and very enjoyable

Undiscovered Future World Tour......I can see if you don't know anything about Epcot or Walt Disney or WDW in general how it might be interesting, however if I were to guess most if not all the people on this board already know 100% of the info on the tour. Backstage areas....not very interesting, VIP lounges look old tired and dated...and ALOT of WALKING!!!!!!

OK...Now on to the bad.....now remember, being by myself and not engaged in my own conversations, I am sure my perception was amplified due to all I did was listen to others. I came to a realization....ALL CAST MEMBERS SHOULD HAVE A FASTPASS TO HEAVEN BECAUSE.........(wait for it)..........On a whole WDW GUESTS ARE A HUGE GROUP OF SELF ABSORBED, SELFISH A-HOLES!!!!!!!!
I say this with the greatest respect and admiration for those guests that aren't because it seemed to me that the A-Holes outnumbered the good 2-1.
Now I know that I am going to get lambasted for the following remarks but I just call it the way I see it.

To our Latin spanish speaking friends.......THERE IS NO REASON TO SHOUT........ALLLLLLLL TTHHHHEEEEE TIMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
To people who take flash photos on dark rides.......I HOPE U GO BLIND!
I cannot tell you how many....I take that back....there was not one dark ride all week where some a-hole was not shooting pics facing backward in the row in front of me so all I saw all ride long was FLASH FLASH....then orange green spots while my eyes readjust..then FLASH FLASH.......I got so mad I finally said something and the jerk just shrugged and kept on.....

OK here goes.....Deep breath......Ready for my verbal lambast!
I am from the south.....I am not a hick or a redneck....I live in a city...we have running water and toilets.....
We also live by a code of unspoken politeness.....If two people are approaching each other in opposite directions, one has no room to go anywhere, the other has all the room in the world, the southern or IMO polite thing to do is to step aside and give the oncoming person some room.....not just plow ahead oblivious to anyone or anything.
All Week......Plowed over by people who will not budge....Drives me insane!
Also all the complaining, screaming at cast members, beating of kids, verbally abusing kids (You would be shocked at the frequency and things I heard people say to there kids....Its no wonder our kids grow up all F up'd)
Again the common string running through all these incidents was that they all seemed to have heavy thick northern accents....I just point this out not because other people are immune from these activities, this was just my experience.

Overall I had a great trip.....my only complaint as far as Disney Goes...is that I think that they owe people an explanation as to why people are scratching their heads when they get off Everest going....Did anyone see the Yeti? Where was the Yeti? Thats not what I saw on TV.....
I rode Everest 6 times last week and heard it everytime I got off the ride.....they should post something so people can understand why they cant find the yeti.

WDW is awesome...I love it....I just wish people would be a little kinder to each other and to the people that make the magic happen, the Cast members.....If any of you read this....please know that I appreciate what you do...and I think you all ROCK!

[/FONT]
Well said and I agree 100 percent.

xtina72

I would love to go to Disney by myself just to try it out and see what its like...but I think the guilt would eat me alive!!

foreverbelle

I have always thought about going on a solo trip. I think you gain a whole new perspective on things like this. Thanks for sharing. I myself can't stand people that pretend they don't know the language to get what they want....

draybook

I noticed more of this bad behavior from foreigners. Although the lady that plowed straight into me was American, as she clearly understood the sentence that I directed to her.

maxairmike

Some interesting points in there, no doubt. Unfortunately, the rude guests aren't confined to WDW trips, they're all over the larger parks around the country. Same with the different ethnic observations. We had a running joke at Cedar Point that the guests left their brains at home (not in the car, at home, because they drive like crazy as well). Maybe at Disney they leave them in the hotel? I'll have to observe driving patterns once I'm down there to decide on that. ;)

That just seems to be the norm any more when people go on vacation. No common sense, respect, or manners. Very unfortunate.

sweetpee_1993

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I totally feel everything you said. I was there last week, too. I've seen far more rowdy tour groups in the past. I was aware that they seemed more toned down. I don't think they were Brazilian, tho. I was thinking they must've been Argentine or something. My thinking is that the tour operators are amongst us in the online forums and hear us and our many complaints about them. I also think they are picking up our tips we share with one another. I'm absolutely convinced after 2 January's in a row that they follow Touring Plan's crowd calendar good/bad park recommendations. In the past I've tried to go to the "good" parks on any given day but the chance of a large group filing in ahead of you making a wait time instantly increase by 15 minutes make the good parks not-so-good to me. It does stand out that there's so many Latin/South American travelers, families, and groups. It's a noticeable percentage. Towards the end of the trip I would just say in my mind "WDW...the Latin/South American Vacation Kingdom". LOL!

RAVENS FAN

Sadly, I think that people in general have become this way. Go on a cruise ship sometime, drive through a mall parking lot, stand in line at McDonalds. It just feels like everyone is nasty. Sadly these people also scrape up the money and go to Disney. Why is it that mean people can ruin you day so quickly?

Maddog57

Hi scotth1224

I agree with everything you said in your post. While I agree with other posters here that people everywhere are generally rude, Disney placates to rude people. Disney doesn’t want to cause a fuss or a scene so they merely provide the rude people with what they want. For example if some cuts in line and it is obvious to a Cast Member they won’t say “Hey you rude person other people are waiting in line”. The Cast Member will just allow it to happen. I love WDW. I just prepare myself before each trip for the fact that I will have to deal with rude people. My tongue is bleeding during the trip, but it is best to say nothing. It is not like these rude people are going to listen.

DisneyLeo18

1st of all... On the discussion of Patron Silver :slurp::slurp::slurp::slurp::slurp:

And I agree with the 2nd part also. While I know most people in NY/LI (me being one of them) are always in a hurry we don't plow over people. Even if you walk through NYC the non-tourists know how to navigate through a crowd (which is most often not as crowded as main street in the summer time). What really bothers me in WDW is people who stand in the middle of the walkway to look at a map etc.. or the ones who feel the need to walk against traffic flow.

Now as for those people from Boston.... :lol::wave:

LilWalt

Finally someone has said what I think every trip.

You do have the people on occasion that are very polite and friendly, but are few and far between.

I think the words, EXCUSE ME, SORRY and THANK YOU are not part of the language at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom