Observations from my recent trip.

musketeer

Original Poster
My wife and I made our first Christmas time vacation to Disney World last month, and have some obervations to share. Some related to the time of year, most not.

- I usually get bothered when someone on this message board gets so mad about saying the name of attraction wrong...but sometimes, COME ON. I listened to a guy, who was looking DIRECTLY at the wait time board at Epcot say the following, "It looks like the speed pass for fast track is from 3:30 to 4:30." I mean....COME ON, LOOKING DIRECTLY AT IT.

- What is so hard about waiting for your fast pass return time? It says 1:06 to 2:06. That means 1:06. I watched a family get all ticked off at the poor lady working there because it was 1:04 and she, rightly so, told them they had to wait until 1:06. The argued and argued insisting that it's close enough. What does 2 minutes mean? You know what, they are exactly right, what does 2 minutes mean. Why can't they just wait 2 minutes? What is so hard about following the rules that have been set. Rules are there for a reason, to make it fair to everyone.

- Sometimes, just observing the behavior of others is just as much entertainment as the rides and attractions themselves. People from other places have different customs, and I'm not saying they are right or wrong and not making any judgement, sometimes it's just funny. Like watching the older man and his wife (clearly foreign) walking around innoventions with a tray full of food eating as they go through. As I said, not saying it's right or wrong, just interesting.

- This was my first visit that didn't occur in the middle of the summer. And I have to say that I was very suprised with the crowds. I was expecting wall to wall people from opening to closing, and 2 hour waits in the tamest of attractions. But I didn't really find it much more busy than in the summer. Granted, I was there Dec 21st to the 25th, so it is before the really heavy crowds hit, but even still, I was expecting it to be much worse. It WAS more crowded than in the summer, but the cooler temperatures made it much much much more desireable. I could actually stand outside for 5 minutes without feeling like water was just poured all over me.

- I don't know who she is, where she comes from, or what she does now, but that girl, Stacy I think, who does the show on the in room TV, is INCREDIBLY annoying. Although I suspect little kids really like her, and in the end, that's what it's all about.

- Because I was traveling with my pregnant wife, we were unable to do alot of the rides we normally do, but that was good because it let us do things we usually skip. And I have to say, that I think I found one of the lines that made me laugh more than any other. It was in The Circle of Life. One word sentence: "DAM!!!!" (freakin hilarious to me).

- I noticed that while on Living with the Land, if you look up to where you can see the restaurant above, there is yet another story about that. What is in there?

- Because my wife is pregnant, we decided to rent a car to avoid the chance of her having to stand on a bus. This was my first time with a car. What convenience! A little iffy going to the Magic Kingdom because of the whole Transportation and Ticket Center hurdle. But we spent a lot of time at Epcot. And it's SO much easier to get to Downtown Disney. I never understood why they make getting to Downtown Disney so difficult with the bus system. You'd think they want to get you to the place where you pretty much do nothing but spend money.

- Another attraction that we usually skip is Mickey's Philharmagic. What an excellent attraction. Very very well done all the way around. I hope it doesn't get taken away due to what I see as poor attendence.

- Yet another attraction that I'd never even been on is the Liberty Belle Riverboat. Again, what an excellent attraction. It really gets to what the Magic Kingdom is all about (at least from my point of view), nostalgia. Even tomorrowland is supposed to be nostalgic. And what is more nostalgic than sailing on a riverboat?

- I usually argue with people who say that Disney is very educational, because I honestly don't think it is...with one exception. Ellen's Energy Adventure. There is tons of good information that is given out in such an interesting and entertaining way. Being an engineer, understanding different forms of energy and how they all interact is a really good basis for having a fundamental concept of all science. Parents should take their kids on this ride and really try to understand it and help their kids understand it. I'm saying this not from a conservation point of view, but strictly a science point of view.

- I've been on the Great Movie Ride countless times, and just saw something I had never seen before. I can't quote it exactly, but when entering the Nostromo scene, if you look down to one of the panels on the left (you have to be sitting on the far left to see it), it says something about welcoming all aliens aboard this ship. Very funny little touch.

- On my last trip, I wrote a similar post, and I bashed The Seas ride. Going on it a 2nd time, I have to retract that. It's actually very good with very good effects. (Although the song needs to go).

- Lastly, regarding our most favorite attraction of any park anywhere, Soarin'. Since we couldn't go on any other thrill rides, we devoted most of our time to this one. We were able to ride 7 times in our 4 day visit. 6 of those times were in the front row (in my opinion, the best place to be). And the last time we rode (probably for several years waiting for the twins, yes twins, to get old enough), not only were we in the front row, we were in the two middle seats of the center section in the front row. This was our last ride before getting in the car and leaving for the airport. What a way to end it.

Rob562

- Because I was traveling with my pregnant wife, we were unable to do alot of the rides we normally do, but that was good because it let us do things we usually skip. And I have to say, that I think I found one of the lines that made me laugh more than any other. It was in The Circle of Life. One word sentence: "DAM!!!!" (freakin hilarious to me).

That line cracks me up every time, too.
Though I still have to say my all-time favorite "I can't believe they got away with it at Disney" line from an attraction was "Oh, my gosh, the pants are full..." from Timekeeper. :lol:

- I noticed that while on Living with the Land, if you look up to where you can see the restaurant above, there is yet another story about that. What is in there?

You can also see windows into the level above the Garden Grill from the main part of the pavilion. It's the corporate VIP lounge for Nestle, the pavilion's sponsor. At one time Disney opened it up as a lounge for Annual Passholders with free soft drinks, etc but it was relatively short-lived.

- Because my wife is pregnant, we decided to rent a car to avoid the chance of her having to stand on a bus. This was my first time with a car. What convenience! A little iffy going to the Magic Kingdom because of the whole Transportation and Ticket Center hurdle. But we spent a lot of time at Epcot. And it's SO much easier to get to Downtown Disney. I never understood why they make getting to Downtown Disney so difficult with the bus system. You'd think they want to get you to the place where you pretty much do nothing but spend money.

It's because they were LOSING money from people parking for free at Downtown Disney and taking the Disney buses to the parks. Plus, the fee-evaders would park as close to the Marketplace stops as they could, taking up the already limited parking spaces, making it even harder for people who wanted to park and visit the Marketplace to shop.
So, Disney discontinued the direct theme park-to-DD buses, and limited transportation solely to the resorts.

- Another attraction that we usually skip is Mickey's Philharmagic. What an excellent attraction. Very very well done all the way around. I hope it doesn't get taken away due to what I see as poor attendence.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's poorly attended, more that it's such a crowd-eater with a relatively short cycle time that it very often can't build up a full theater before the next show.

- I've been on the Great Movie Ride countless times, and just saw something I had never seen before. I can't quote it exactly, but when entering the Nostromo scene, if you look down to one of the panels on the left (you have to be sitting on the far left to see it), it says something about welcoming all aliens aboard this ship. Very funny little touch.

On the same panel, there's also a readout labeled "Goo Viscosity: Very Gooey" :lol:

EDIT: Found a pic that I had.
GMRNostromo.jpg

(Note: Glendale is where Imagineering headquarters is located)

-Rob

LoriMistress

Glad to hear that you and your wife had a great vacation. It's nice when you have to slow down a bit and try things that you wouldn't normally do.

BuddhasHomeGirl

I could NOT agree with you more, we ALWAYS rent a car now, in my opinion, it is much faster, easier, and more convenient to get around, we absolutely love renting a car!
We love not waiting for a bus, it is such a joy for us. lol

daliseurat

I love this. I too find that when I get out of my usual routine and try attractions that i didn't like before, or just never though I'd like, I have a great, relaxing time just noticing the details. When I'm REALLY tired, I'll sit on the train for several rounds just taking in all the views you caonly find from the train!

DisneyJunkie

I have to readily agree with you (nay applaud you, :sohappy:) on some of your points that are also a thorn in the side with me as well.

* I can't stand when people mis-state the ride name, or even the location name (i.e. calling Magic Kingdom itself "Disney World"). It is a relatively small thing and yet it causes great irritation.

* People just get stupid about their Fastpasses. The ticket says to ride between such and such a time. It doesn't say "come back AROUND this time and then you can ride". Just stick to the time frame on the ticket and everyone's happy. Come on....

* I likewise DETEST that girl Stacy from the WDW Resort in-room guide shows. And it's not just her......its anyone they have hosting those kinds of shows. They are never funny.....never even remotely amusing. Just stupid, corny, and annoying beyond belief.

* I also agree with Philharmagic and Soarin' (although I never skip either one).....they're great attractions in their own right and I just HAVE to go on Soarin' one last time before my trip is over. I just hate the fact that Philharmagic will be down on my upcoming trip.

It's interesting (and kind of funny) how so many WDW-lovers can still find little things that drive them crazy all throughout the area and it's typically the same things.

WDWmazprty

I have to readily agree with you (nay applaud you, :sohappy:) on some of your points that are also a thorn in the side with me as well.

* I can't stand when people mis-state the ride name, or even the location name (i.e. calling Magic Kingdom itself "Disney World"). It is a relatively small thing and yet it causes great irritation.

* People just get stupid about their Fastpasses. The ticket says to ride between such and such a time. It doesn't say "come back AROUND this time and then you can ride". Just stick to the time frame on the ticket and everyone's happy. Come on....

* I likewise DETEST that girl Stacy from the WDW Resort in-room guide shows. And it's not just her......its anyone they have hosting those kinds of shows. They are never funny.....never even remotely amusing. Just stupid, corny, and annoying beyond belief.

* I also agree with Philharmagic and Soarin' (although I never skip either one).....they're great attractions in their own right and I just HAVE to go on Soarin' one last time before my trip is over. I just hate the fact that Philharmagic will be down on my upcoming trip.

It's interesting (and kind of funny) how so many WDW-lovers can still find little things that drive them crazy all throughout the area and it's typically the same things.

I agree also, especially on #1. I HATE :hurl: when people think the Magic Kingdom is WDW,or even worse- when they think Disney World and Universal Studios are all together. Is it really that hard to know that Disney and Universal are two totally different companies? Rivals even? :hammer:

CAPTAIN HOOK

This was my first visit that didn't occur in the middle of the summer. And I have to say that I was very suprised with the crowds. I was expecting wall to wall people from opening to closing, and 2 hour waits in the tamest of attractions. But I didn't really find it much more busy than in the summer. Granted, I was there Dec 21st to the 25th,

Thats exactly how we found it from Dec 25th - Dec 30th. New Years Eve was a totally different ball game though

Club Cooloholic

Am I really the only one who does NOT care if someone mispronounces something or misidentifies it? I mean unless they are trying to give me directions, why would something you overhear upset you. I overhear a lot of things, like folks opinions on political issues, and sometimes that is misinformed, but I could care less if someone is calling something by the wrong name.

musketeer

Original Poster
Am I really the only one who does NOT care if someone mispronounces something or misidentifies it? I mean unless they are trying to give me directions, why would something you overhear upset you. I overhear a lot of things, like folks opinions on political issues, and sometimes that is misinformed, but I could care less if someone is calling something by the wrong name.

That is kind of one of the points i was making in my original post. It doesn't really bother me...BUT, they guy was standing DIRECTLY in front of the right name LOOKING RIGHT AT IT, and messed it all up.

That is what drove me crazy.

DisneyJunkie

Happy day for you if it doesn't bother you. It won't bother everyone, but there are those of us that find that it drives us up a wall when we hear it.

imamouse

OP - Thanks for taking the time to share a detailed view of your trip and congratulations on the upcoming arrival of twins!

Although I'm typically a "commando" when it comes to touring at WDW, I also take my 73-year old mother once a year and enjoy the more 'stop and smell the roses' approach. Sometimes it's great to slow down and take in all the fantastic details. I also agree with you about renting a car. No more waiting for forever or standing on Disney buses for us!

Montyboy

It doesn't bother me. There are over 6 Billion people on the planet, and most of them don't care what I say or do. I figure I can return the favor!

stitch131313

- Yet another attraction that I'd never even been on is the Liberty Belle Riverboat. Again, what an excellent attraction. It really gets to what the Magic Kingdom is all about (at least from my point of view), nostalgia. Even tomorrowland is supposed to be nostalgic. And what is more nostalgic than sailing on a riverboat?

This makes me very Happy :sohappy: Makes my day. Most people run away when they hear it's not a roller coaster. YaYfor people who appreciate the Riverboat!

Pongo

- On my last trip, I wrote a similar post, and I bashed The Seas ride. Going on it a 2nd time, I have to retract that. It's actually very good with very good effects. (Although the song needs to go).

Did you get a chance to see Finding Nemo: The Musical while you were there? The song is actually from that show. While kind of out of place on the Nemo ride, the song is actually really well done in the stage show at Animal Kingdom.

Club Cooloholic

That is kind of one of the points i was making in my original post. It doesn't really bother me...BUT, they guy was standing DIRECTLY in front of the right name LOOKING RIGHT AT IT, and messed it all up.

That is what drove me crazy.

I hear ya. I guess I am touchy...I think I might have been one of those, Lets go to Disney World today and Epcot tommorow folks back in the day, I am sure some of my relatives did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom