NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

TarzanRocked99-

I understand what you're saying but am unsure about the "It already has a some...Uni's market share is going up with no signs of stopping ..." remark. IOA attendance jumped; there's no doubt that WWOHP was a huge hit for UO. I recall reading that attendance increased by 30%. Is it going to jump another 30% this year and next year? I don't see how.

I'm a UO AP holder but suspect attendance would eventually level off or even decline slightly without HP2 and other new attractions at UO. No matter how highly you think of WWOHP and FJ, they are only one land/attraction. You can visit them only so many times. I wonder how 2012/2013 attendance will be at UO compared to the post-HP 2010/2011 numbers. I speculate that a lot of people were excited when WWOHP opened and jumped at the chance to see it during its first 12-to-18 months. Is that enthusiasm going to carry through to 2012 and 2013? I just don't see how. I'm not saying that attendance will suddenly drop, just that it won't increase another 30%. UO should get another bump from HP2 but then how long will that bump last? I have no idea.

Has WDW been hurt by WWOHP? I suspect some people took 1 or 2 days out of their usual WDW vacations to visit UO. These people's changed vacation habits would hurt WDW attendance. Conversely, some people have headed to Orlando explicitly to see WWOHP, then added a few days at WDW in to complete a (typically American) week-long vacation in Orlando. The net effect on WDW's bottom line is probably negligible. If I correctly recall, WDW attendance has remained relatively flat over the last year years, it did not decline when WWOHP opened.

I really like UO and, as already mentioned, am a UO AP holder. However, I don't view Universal as more than a 1 or 2 day trip for most Orlando vacationers. HP2 and a few more headliner attractions might turn it into a 3-day trip. It siphons off more people from WDW but encourages more people to come to Orlando, spend 2 or 3 days at Universal, and then fill out the remainder of their week-long vacations elsewhere, mostly at WDW.

Sorry if the above post is rambling but my basic point is that UO adding more attractions won't significantly hurt WDW's bottom line until Orlando visitors are able to spend a week-long vacation at UO, until vacationers are forced to choose between UO and WDW. As UO adds more attractions, UO is the primary beneficiary but the rest of Orlando (mostly WDW) benefits as well.

All true but their plan is just that. They added multiple new options this year and if all goes according to plan they will have another e-ticket for UO, family thrill ride for IOA, moderately priced resort, and possibly a waterpark in addition to the huge potter expansion all before Avatar is supposed to be complete.

American's vacations are getting shorter and if people can fill a good 3-4 days at Uni then it becomes a viable and more economically priced vacation option with the newer and more exciting options.

djlaosc

Universal's attendance will be up again for 2012. No, not 20%. But it will be up. And Universal and Comcast know they have work to do in order to keep people coming back. They have a plan, they know what they're doing, and all will become clear sooner rather than later.

All I can say is "how soon is soon!" ;)

I have to say that I think that the current things happening at Universal is probably the most exciting times in Florida that I've ever seen (granted, you're probably talking about 7/8 years or so, but this seems to be the most exciting things to happen since DAK/IOA in the late 90s!

bubbles1812

Ok...going to take your paragraphs one by one for my response...think it's easier on the eyes that way. :)

I understand what you're saying but am unsure about the "It already has a some...Uni's market share is going up with no signs of stopping ..." remark. IOA attendance jumped; there's no doubt that WWOHP was a huge hit for UO. I recall reading that attendance increased by 30%. Is it going to jump another 30% this year and next year? I don't see how.

No, I highly doubt attendance is going to jump another 30% next this year and next year...30% is a massive amount of growth and I think to expect that kind of growth every year is a pretty unreasonable. But attendance not growing by 30% doesn't mean attendance won't be growing at all. Whether its 5, 10, 15% ect, growth is still growth. And I do suspect Uni will continue to grow and capture a bigger market share, albiet maybe at a slower rate until HP 2.0 opens.

I'm a UO AP holder but suspect attendance would eventually level off or even decline slightly without HP2 and other new attractions at UO. No matter how highly you think of WWOHP and FJ, they are only one land/attraction. You can visit them only so many times. I wonder how 2012/2013 attendance will be at UO compared to the post-HP 2010/2011 numbers. I speculate that a lot of people were excited when WWOHP opened and jumped at the chance to see it during its first 12-to-18 months. Is that enthusiasm going to carry through to 2012 and 2013? I just don't see how. I'm not saying that attendance will suddenly drop, just that it won't increase another 30%. UO should get another bump from HP2 but then how long will that bump last? I have no idea.

The part I bolded is exactly what is happening at Disney right now. They've stayed stagnant attendance wise for the past four years. I'm sure attendance would probably level off eventually if Universal decided to not do anything...but the thing is they aren't. They have HP 2.0 in the works but if y ou've read through this thread...Universal is working on more offerings in the future beyond that. That is going to be a draw for years to come.

I'd have to disagree about your speculation honestly. There are still many many more people who haven't yet gotten to visit HP than have. And judging by the continued growth, I don't think that enthusiaum is dying down any time soon. HP is still "new" as far as the them park word is concerned. Though I will give you that who knows how long the bump from Potter will last...it think that will honestly be pretty hard to measure considering that Universal is going to keep adding things after Potter...will any bumps seen then still be attributed to Potter? I dont know

The second part I bolded...same thing could be said of NFE when it intially opens...it's not going to be the people drawer HP was/is I'm guessing any bump WDW sees from it won't last nearly as long. It's a good addition but it's not something on a spectacular scale the way HP is. Aand really Disney World as a whole and yet people keep returning. I don't think before Potter people felt as much incentive to return to Uni but with Potter and the other new oerings, I think you could potentially start to see that Disney trend of people returning more often to Uni.

Has WDW been hurt by WWOHP? I suspect some people took 1 or 2 days out of their usual WDW vacations to visit UO. These people's changed vacation habits would hurt WDW attendance. Conversely, some people have headed to Orlando explicitly to see WWOHP, then added a few days at WDW in to complete a (typically American) week-long vacation in Orlando. The net effect on WDW's bottom line is probably negligible. If I correctly recall, WDW attendance has remained relatively flat over the last year years, it did not decline when WWOHP opened.

Money lost is money lost. Whether they took out two days, one day, or half a day, thats money that didn't go into Disney's pockets. One soda not spent at Disney times several million is a lot of money. I think you are putting too much stock in absolute attendance numbers. Those don't really matter what it comes to looking at this, it's all about percentages.

And the rest of your paragraph is kind of the idea of "a rising tide raises all ships." Which was stated in the original article this thread talked about. But the thing is, as you stated, attendance has remained repretty much flat. No it didn't decline but it didn't rise either so I'm not sure how much weight I can put on your argument that people tacked on a few more days at WDW. do I think what's going on at Universal is substantially hurting Disney right now? No. But it could in the near future if growth continues like it has.

I really like UO and, as already mentioned, am a UO AP holder. However, I don't view Universal as more than a 1 or 2 day trip for most Orlando vacationers. HP2 and a few more headliner attractions might turn it into a 3-day trip. It siphons off more people from WDW but encourages more people to come to Orlando, spend 2 or 3 days at Universal, and then fill out the remainder of their week-long vacations elsewhere, mostly at WDW.
I don't think Universal is right now worth more than 2-3 days either. At least not right now and I love the parks. And Uni is adding more headliners even beyond HP 2.0 so you might up that trip to 3 days is the relatively near future :)

You are again using the arguement that a "rsing tide raises all all ships"...but again, that statistics thus far regarding attendance just haven't supported that. I'm not sure you can say people are filling out their week long vacations "mostly at WDW"...are many choosing that route? Sure. But they are also choosing Sea World, Lego Land, Busch Gardens, ect...there are a lot of options, nmany less expensive than Disney that people are choosing. When Uni's attendance rises 30% but there isn't even a blip on WDW's attendance thaat doesn't say to me that Uni's growth is helping WDW at all. Maybe it will in the future, but again, just haven't seen anything to support that so far.

Sorry if the above post is rambling but my basic point is that UO adding more attractions won't significantly hurt WDW's bottom line until Orlando visitors are able to spend a week-long vacation at UO, until vacationers are forced to choose between UO and WDW. As UO adds more attractions, UO is the primary beneficiary but the rest of Orlando (mostly WDW) benefits as well.

Sorry, but again, and I know I sound like a broken record, you're saying the rising tide raises all ships. But I haven't seen any facts, like just talking basic numbers to support that. So I just don't buy it. So far I just haven't seein any evidence WDW is benifiting from Uni's growth. Has it brought down attendance? Not so far but as you said earlieer, people are taking the time out of their vacations to go to Uni rather than just stay at WDW. And that's money lost. that's bad. Even if Disney shows another record year of profits it's bad...because they could have made more money if Uni wasn't stealing some of their customers away. There is a reason the insiders report that TDO are a bit freaked out by Potter and I'm sure they are nervous for when HP 2.0 opens as they are adding 2! huge new E tickets...something Disney has not done. And Avatar is still a while away, at least 5 years away so no new big rides are coming to the parks...and big rides are what bring people to parks. That is a nother statisically proven fact.

chocotaco

Gringotts Coaster
Hogworts Express
"Something else maybe" in IOA / Potter
Maybe Transformers
Something else a bit Mad in USF
Something else in USF
A family E in IOA
A new resort
A Waterpark
Major infrastructure improvements

And thats before a 3rd park. Did I miss anything?

I'll take a whack at a couple of these:

"Something else a bit Mad in USF". Well I know some people have been saying Kidzone is going to be redone at some point in the future, so I'd say Mad...agascar :p

"A family E in IOA". Some say Uni is going to add a ride to Jurassic Park, and others say it's Seuss landing that will be seeing an additional attraction. If I had to guess, I would say family coaster in Jurassic park.

"Something else in USF". Kong has to make his way back at some point... right? At least I hope so.

After all that, I think I'd be more then ready for a 3rd park :D

GLaDOS

Gringotts Coaster
Hogworts Express
Maybe Transformers
Something else in USF
A family E in IOA
A new resort
A Waterpark

I can place a lot of this from what I've learned. A few surprises on here. Especially a third gate, but I'm sure that's dependent on whether or not they get the land they want. And I can't even begin to think what kind of theme it would have...

And by new resort, do you mean Cabana Bay? Or another new one?

djlaosc

Gringotts Coaster
Hogworts Express
Maybe Transformers
Something else in USF
A family E in IOA
A new resort
A Waterpark

Wow! :eek:

We need announcements and schedules!
Harry Potter would be 2014/2015
Transformers would be 2013
Kidzone would be 2015/2016 (Madagascar?)

So, is this the timeline to the end of the decade?

Horizonsfan

I'll take a whack at a couple of these:

"Something else a bit Mad in USF". Well I know some people have been saying Kidzone is going to be redone at some point in the future, so I'd say Mad...agascar :p

"A family E in IOA". Some say Uni is going to add a ride to Jurassic Park, and others say it's Seuss landing that will be seeing an additional attraction. If I had to guess, I would say family coaster in Jurassic park.

"Something else in USF". Kong has to make his way back at some point... right? At least I hope so.

After all that, I'd be more then ready for a 3rd park :D

If they're going to add something to Jurrasic Park that's family friendly, I would bet it's a JP version of Uni Singapore's Treasure Hunters. There's been wispers of adding the signature jeep attraction for years. You can get an idea of the Singapore ride here. It would have to be pretty plussed, since this looks to be no more than a C-ticket.

Jim Handy

Gringotts Coaster
Hogworts Express
Maybe Transformers
Something else in USF
A family E in IOA
A new resort
A Waterpark

I knew of most of this, but not all. Very impressive slate.

It's like the Disney Decade is actually happening....but not at Disney.

Oh, by the way. When does Bob Iger leave? It can't come soon enough. Disney has to move VERY quickly to limit the amount of embarrassment coming their way.

menamechris

Another thing that should keep TDO worried is the fact that Universal is doing these attractions FAST compared to their timelines on expansions...5 years each? Its crazy.

I can just see it...soon we'll hear "CarsLand coming to DHS...in 2020" o_O

I am glad I am not the only person who thinks this. I honestly don't know what takes so long on some of these projects. I am actually baffled that it took months to get the second Dumbo spinner and the water play area opened. Meanwhile - they can throw those DVC's up quicker than anything I have seen. Go figure.

TarzanRocked99-

If they're going to add something to Jurrasic Park that's family friendly, I would bet it's a JP version of Uni Singapore's Treasure Hunters. There's been wispers of adding the signature jeep attraction for years. You can get an idea of the Singapore ride here. It would have to be pretty plussed, since this looks to be no more than a C-ticket.
Think more family coaster with dark ride elements

Horizonsfan

Think more family coaster with dark ride elements

I'm surprised they want to do that with the Unicorn/Hippogriff coaster so close. Guess its no different than 7DMT being so close to barnstormer.

Regardless of what it is, adding attractions (rather than swapping attractions out) is always a big plus.:)

TarzanRocked99-

I'm surprised they want to do that with the Unicorn/Hippogriff coaster so close. Guess its no different than 7DMT being so close to barnstormer.

Regardless of what it is, adding attractions (rather than swapping attractions out) is always a big plus.:)
From what I hear if they go that route it would be substantially more than Hippogriff, more in line with 7 Dwarfs I would think. However I know a Lorax dark ride was also being considered so who knows, but an IOA addition is on the calendar for 2014.

chocotaco

I can't help but think about the 3rd park possibilities....and it keeps coming back to one ring...err...thing

If they were to use LotR as the main draw for a third gate, I would love for them to use something like the grey Havens as an entrance to the gate (You can get an idea by looking at the last few scenes in the return of the king). They could have something similar to how you can take the ferry to Magic Kingdom:

Just something I think would be pretty cool. Idk, I just find the idea of passing through a narrow passage way into some grand entrance appealing.

Edit: Decided to remove the image... was a bit too big and a bit too distracting, plus it wasn't really important to the overall discussion.

bubbles1812

I'd pay several hundred dollars for admission to see a nice replica of Minas Tirith myself
I would love an LOTR themed park! I can't even fathom how awesome it would be to see Minas Tirith "in person." The story is so rich it could definitely support it's own park. Though even if Uni just wanted to do a big land for it and also do other things in a 3rd park, I feel like it would still cool. I hope Uni can eventually get to the point where they have the money (and land) for something like that. Adding a 3rd park would be HUGE in its competition with Disney.

Jedeye80

How amazing would it be to have a attraction based in the mines of moria, can't understand why Disney haven't gone after the rights to middle earth!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom