NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

The Empress Lilly

Oh man, transportation that erases the boundary between a ride and a transportation system.
When's the last time WDW build something like that? The monorail to EPCOT? The Sassagoula River Cruise?

33m04mq.jpg

maxairmike

Screamscape is pretty close although the projection/media system will be far more advanced than the example Lance gives. During tests people have been getting a bit sick due to the ultra-realism and depth perception. The media actually needs to be created in layers with varying speeds represented based on the speed of the train and sequence. As far as in cabin effects, let's just say that the cabins could get a bit chilly at times for one example.

Ummm...are they testing it here in Florida? If so, where do I sign up!? :lol:

Seriously though, this sounds like yet another attraction that's going to blow the pants off Disney attractions again, just like Forbidden Journey did for me. I cannot wait for this to get here! Like Lee, I want it now. :slurp: :D

bubbles1812

Oh man, transportation that erases the boundary between a ride and a transportation system.
When's the last time WDW build something like that? The monorail to EPCOT? The Sassagoula River Cruise?

33m04mq.jpg

That looks great! I like how it's elevated and they can keep the streets. Makes for a lot less hassle for Uni. It it doesn't sound like guests will have the magic ruined by seeing considering how immersive the train ride sounds with the video screens, ect. And the track seems decently long...I'm guessing a 5 minute ride or so? I guess they could probably set the speed however they wanted.

HenryMystic

Screamscape is pretty close although the projection/media system will be far more advanced than the example Lance gives. During tests people have been getting a bit sick due to the ultra-realism and depth perception. The media actually needs to be created in layers with varying speeds represented based on the speed of the train and sequence. As far as in cabin effects, let's just say that the cabins could get a bit chilly at times for one example.

As if just having the train wasn't exciting enough, now it's a full blown e-ticket experience. I cannot wait!

bubbles1812

Also, the more and more I see of what Uni is doing with Harry Potter, the more I see what I HUGE mis-step Disney not acquiring the HP rights were. Given what Uni is doing with it, I can't imagine what Disney could have done given the room they have for it (not that I'm knocking Universal...what they have done/are doing is awesome).

It's clear Disney really underestimated Potter's appeal. I so hope this does spur them to do something spectacular...and that does not mean adding more M & Gs! ;) Those only take you so far. They are eventually going to have to go back to making new ground breaking rides and immersive experiences. I know it seems like Avatarland is their answer, which, I'm actually fine with an Avatarland. It could be really really cool. That said, it's not an extremely strong brand the way HP is.

nepalostparks

Also, the more and more I see of what Uni is doing with Harry Potter, the more I see what I HUGE mis-step Disney not acquiring the HP rights were. Given what Uni is doing with it, I can't imagine what Disney could have done given the room they have for it (not that I'm knocking Universal...what they have done/are doing is awesome).

It's clear Disney really underestimated Potter's appeal. I so hope this does spur them to do something spectacular...and that does not mean adding more M & Gs! ;) Those only take you so far. They are eventually going to have to go back to making new ground breaking rides and immersive experiences. I know it seems like Avatarland is their answer, which, I'm actually fine with an Avatarland. It could be really really cool. That said, it's not an extremely strong brand the way HP is.

Was it that Disney underestimated the appeal of Potter, or was it more about the fact that Rowling wanted to keep so much creative control and decision making power over it? I feel like it was the latter more than the former, but I can't remember for sure if it was ever more than speculation.

celluloid

Was it that Disney underestimated the appeal of Potter, or was it more about the fact that Rowling wanted to keep so much creative control and decision making power over it? I feel like it was the latter more than the former, but I can't remember for sure if it was ever more than speculation.

It does not matter either way you look at it we still got the best possible theme park product out of it because Disney won't even front such a budget at WDW for their own creations and properties, let alone an outside one. See Star Wars and the extent they do in that department for reference.

WDW1974

Simple economics dictates more is preferred to less. If they were at 100%, we should be pushing them to 125%. Except on twitter and Internet message boards where you have social media shills, on the take bloggers, and people with serious mental issues...

Great post.

Sounds like something a Spirit I am intimate with would say ... and he's a freaking genius too!:king:

WDW1974

The connector is the train ride itself. This attraction is turning out to be the second E-ticket for the expansion. It's much more than a train ride...trust me. The technical challenges are many but the reward will pay off immensely!

Sounds so ... so ... great ... MAGICal even ... and so unlike anything being done at WDW.

What broke at DAK today?

What half-arsed rehab at MK ended today?

What menu got cut at EPCOT today?

Sometimes, I really think I am not nearly negative enough.

RSoxNo1

Sounds so ... so ... great ... MAGICal even ... and so unlike anything being done at WDW.

What broke at DAK today?

What half-arsed rehab at MK ended today?

What menu got cut at EPCOT today?

Sometimes, I really think I am not nearly negative enough.

What Epcot menu got cut?

bubbles1812

Hmm, I feel like I read both...too much money and Rowling/Warner wanting to keep a lot of creative of control...which, honestly, who can blame Rowling? She had a specific world she/the books/movies created. And honestly, I could have seen Disney attempting to do some things 1) on the cheap, not the way Universal did it 2) "kiddifiying" Potter to such a degree that it wouldn't have been as much fun. Like the HP ride in the castle...it definitely has some scary elements to it especially if you don't like spiders ;) I don't know if Disney would have gone for something like that or not. It's definitely not the most "family friendly" ride.

I understand Disney wanting creative control but this was one area I think they should have let a bit go of, just sucked it up and let Rowling have a lot of control. Uni made a wonderful area that if the "insiders" on this site are being truthful has Disney unnerved and freaked out by.

But regardless of why they didn't go for it, I still think it was a really big mistake on Disney's part. Look what it has done for Universal. It revitalized a lets face it, park that was to a degree dying a slow and painful death. Hardly any money was being spent on it, it wasn't making any money and it's owners basically wanted to shove it off on someone else. And now, it's making money and it's new owners are investing heavily in it's future.

WDW1974

Disney's reputation is far too developed in American culture, even the world. Would never get to that point, it's too carefully monitored.

Disney has fallen so far it is an entirely different product than it was 20 years ago in ALL of the important ways. Whether or not folks still go and spend and enjoy a Walmarted World of Disney isn't the point. Most of our nation has been dumbed down to such a level that thinking the WDW of the 21st century has never been better isn't as absurd as it really is in the place fewer of us live by the day (no, not homes that we own!, good guess) REALITY.

Disney is living off a reputation from when it was GREAT and unchallenged and that simply isn't the case anymore.

I have seen how Disney treats its parks and its history in both the USA and Paris over the past few months and they act like an arrogant 800-pound ape and that is even after getting spanked by UNI with Potter.
The next spanking is going to leave scars.

nepalostparks

Hmm, I feel like I read both...too much money and Rowling/Warner wanting to keep a lot of creative of control...which, honestly, who can blame Rowling? She had a specific world she/the books/movies created. And honestly, I could have seen Disney attempting to do some things 1) on the cheap, not the way Universal did it 2) "kiddifiying" Potter to such a degree that it wouldn't have been as much fun. Like the HP ride in the castle...it definitely has some scary elements to it especially if you don't like spiders ;) I don't know if Disney would have gone for something like that or not. It's definitely not the most "family friendly" ride.

I understand Disney wanting creative control but this was one area I think they should have let a bit go of, just sucked it up and let Rowling have a lot of control. Uni made a wonderful area that if the "insiders" on this site are being truthful has Disney unnerved and freaked out by.

But regardless of why they didn't go for it, I still think it was a really big mistake on Disney's part. Look what it has done for Universal. It revitalized a lets face it, park that was to a degree dying a slow and painful death. Hardly any money was being spent on it, it wasn't making any money and it's owners basically wanted to shove it off on someone else. And now, it's making money and it's new owners are investing heavily in it's future.

I agree it was a great move for Universal, and if they continue to pump the kind of money and focus into the parks (more than just Potter, like with their new parade, etc.) then they will continue to be a more desirable destination for Central Florida visitors.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not sure I agree with you about Disney only being opened for the upper crust when it first opened. Back then it was a lot different. Disney World, even only with two Deluxes, was still affordable for pretty much anybody...they only had one park...that didn't require a week to stay to see everything and prices weren't jacked so that it makes more sense for people to stay for a week than just go for a day.

No, those properties were primo priced back then too. WDW opened as a RESORT - not just theme parks. Disney world has always been a premium priced vacation.

BigThunderMatt

And honestly, I could have seen Disney attempting to do some things 1) on the cheap, not the way Universal did it 2) "kiddifiying" Potter to such a degree that it wouldn't have been as much fun. Like the HP ride in the castle...it definitely has some scary elements to it especially if you don't like spiders ;) I don't know if Disney would have gone for something like that or not. It's definitely not the most "family friendly" ride.

Not only that, there would have been real world branding on everything. One of the most immersive parts of the Wizarding World is that nothing from our 'real world' creeps into it. Anything they sell is something that would feasibly sold in the wizarding world of the books and films. Plus I wouldn't have been too keen on seeing a Harry Potter Mickey plush, which is what we got with the out of control Disney/Star Wars hybrid merch they're selling now.

It revitalized a lets face it, park that was to a degree dying a slow and painful death. Hardly any money was being spent on it, it wasn't making any money and it's owners basically wanted to shove it off on someone else. And now, it's making money and it's new owners are investing heavily in it's future.

Agreed. Although part of me, as an AP, is bitter because now there are fewer and fewer days where I can go and not have to deal with crowds at IOA and USF, but it is for the best.

nepalostparks

Not only that, there would have been real world branding on everything. One of the most immersive parts of the Wizarding World is that nothing from our 'real world' creeps into it. Anything they sell is something that would feasibly sold in the wizarding world of the books and films. Plus I wouldn't have been too keen on seeing a Harry Potter Mickey plush, which is what we got with the out of control Disney/Star Wars hybrid merch they're selling now.

If Disney did purchase the rights, I'm sure Rowling would have made many of the same stipulations she did with it being placed at Universal, so its doubtful that would have occurred.

But it's all hypothetical anyway.

bubbles1812

No, those properties were primo priced back then too. WDW opened as a RESORT - not just theme parks. Disney world has always been a premium priced vacation.

If you say so...I wasn't around back then. :lol: It did open a resort yes, but still, with only two hotels at it's opening, it's not like the majority of it's visitors were staying on property, unlike now. I'm sure hotels in the area did jack up their rates in accordance but people still stayed less time (sorry, but I would find it astounding if most people actually went to the parks for week, but even so, admission for a week for a family of 4 at 3 bucks a person or whatever it was, well, I'd take it :lol:) and most weren't in the uber expensive hotels.

magicallactose

I think I just wet myself with excitement.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you say so...I wasn't around back then. :lol: It did open a resort yes, but still, with only two hotels at it's opening, it's not like the majority of it's visitors were staying on property, unlike now

Quite the contrary... remember back then there wasn't all the build up in Orlando either. Lets just leave it as you weren't there... and probably need to do some reading about it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Here's a few pictures of the Ocean Express mentioned earlier, and the queue its in (basically the same company may be making the trains for the wizarding world)

154526_498639706873_2004341_n.jpg

74328_498628556873_3912477_n.jpg

151000_498628816873_6679711_n.jpg

74875_498631181873_8030222_n.jpg

Those are screens above which change depending on the train's movement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom