NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

HenryMystic

Back to topic. I wonder what's coming to Universal beyond Phase 2 of Wizarding World. That's what people should be discussing. Because that has an impact on Walt Disney World whether you want to believe it or not.

bubbles1812

Back to topic. I wonder what's coming to Universal beyond Phase 2 of Wizarding World. That's what people should be discussing. Because that has an impact on Walt Disney World whether you want to believe it or not.

I could see them doing more Marvel related stuff...maybe get something related to Iron Man (most likely given his popularity now) or perhaps something all Avengers themed. No way Universal is giving up the rights to that to Disney any time soon given the success of the movie. I'd like to possibly seem them add more movie related rides, though I'm not sure what properties they have that are "hot" at the moment. Universal has been kind of hurting hit movie wise lately....though I think they did just have success with Snow White and the Huntsman. Can you imagine if they did something based off that? Disney would flip shi* :lol:

asianway

WDW is awesome. In fact, it is so fantastically awesome, that you can strip it down to 75% of its potential, as they do, and it still is awesome.

But I want that 25% too.

Simple economics dictates more is preferred to less. If they were at 100%, we should be pushing them to 125%. Except on twitter and Internet message boards where you have social media shills, on the take bloggers, and people with serious mental issues...

whylightbulb

No.

The number looks like it's irrelevant. But the projects seem to be construction of the two stations for the train as well as the "connector". What that is, I have no idea.
The connector is the train ride itself. This attraction is turning out to be the second E-ticket for the expansion. It's much more than a train ride...trust me. The technical challenges are many but the reward will pay off immensely!

Captain Chaos

I think that would bring pretty awesome if they somehow incorporated that. They could maybe do other neat things too like showing some of the Scottish countryside...seriously it's gorgeous

The visuals would be amazing... Hopefully this is pulled off to the highest degree... I have faith in Universal Creative.. They have proved to me they sure do know what they are doing when given free reign to perform magic...

bubbles1812

Does anyone know, will there be only 1 train? Sorry know its in its very early planning stages but I'm so curious! Guess the track will be a loop of some kind so it can turn around to go back to the other area. I mean, I know you can make a train pretty darn big but if this pans out as an actual E ticket ride and not just well, as enjoyable as it is, the Walt Disney Railroad, I would think they'd want more than one going at a time? Of course that's assuming there is even room really for two trains to pass each other...I don't get the impression there is tons of room back there and that Uni is basically making it fit come hell or high water.

HenryMystic

Does anyone know, will there be only 1 train? Sorry know its in its very early planning stages but I'm so curious! Guess the track will be a loop of some kind so it can turn around to go back to the other area. I mean, I know you can make a train pretty darn big but if this pans out as an actual E ticket ride and not just well, as enjoyable as it is, the Walt Disney Railroad, I would think they'd want more than one going at a time? Of course that's assuming there is even room really for two trains to pass each other...I don't get the impression there is tons of room back there and that Uni is basically making it fit come hell or high water.

Well, permits to layout the foundations for the stations and track have been filed already, so that much has been designed. In a month or so, it may pay to rent a chopper to get some aerial shots of everything laid out. Assuming, of course, that the City of Orlando would get a move on with the approvals.:fork:

There will have to be more than one train. Hopefully 3 or 4. They'll need all the capacity they can get.

magicallactose

The connector is the train ride itself. This attraction is turning out to be the second E-ticket for the expansion. It's much more than a train ride...trust me. The technical challenges are many but the reward will pay off immensely!

Wow, you've really piqued my curiosity now. Even if the train had just been a very immersive and picturesque ride from point A to point B, I would have been impressed. But from what you're saying, I'm incredibly awed by the scope of this expansion. I'm dying to hear more. I'm especially curious to hear how the outside scenery is going to be achieved. Will it be screens? Will it be Kong-esque? Will it be sets? Or a combination of everything above?

I also agree with the poster above who deduced from your comment about 'in-cabin' effects, that a dementor attack is sounding more and more likely.

Cornballman

Well, permits to layout the foundations for the stations and track have been filed already, so that much has been designed. In a month or so, it may pay to rent a chopper to get some aerial shots of everything laid out. Assuming, of course, that the City of Orlando would get a move on with the approvals.:fork:

There will have to be more than one train. Hopefully 3 or 4. They'll need all the capacity they can get.

Isn't the spacing between the areas in question not really that far? I'm having trouble picturing 3-4 trains working in the spaces that they are talking about. I could see 4 trains if it was going around the entire perimeter of the parks, but not going from HPW in IOA to Amityville in USF. I would only think 2 at most would work. Thoughts?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember a post at one point recently that talk about how the train would work. The poster said that there would be two trains running along a single track that would have a section that would allow them to pass each other. If the trains have enough capacity I would think two would be enough considering the short distance they have to travel.

Luigi

18 million to 73 million?!?

Disney is not quaking in their boots, yet.

I got to Uni once very few years. 2 days max.

I got to WDW Full Week.

Uni is fun. Disney is a destination.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would imagine just side by side tracks with switches approaching the station like a shuttle system. If you hide the engine out of sight.. People don't know which direction is front.

There isn't a huge distance here at all

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Quaking in their boots? Nope.

But as they start to become the has-been of the industry and the competition keep advancing they'll need to wake up. If not for attendance more for reputation.

Jimmy Thick

Quaking in their boots? Nope.

But as they start to become the has-been of the industry and the competition keep advancing they'll need to wake up. If not for attendance more for reputation.

Disney's reputation is that of a fantastic place to take the whole family on vacation, Universal is no where near that, not even close.

Hard to be a has been when your doing 5 times more business than your closest competitor, if you can even call them that.

Jimmy Thick-Let them sleep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom