NuOrbis Brainstorming Thread - Project Seven: A Splash of Placemaking

pix

S W A M P S A N T A
While i do have ideas based on a bayou night before Christmas book I had growing up in which Santa was on a river boat pulled by gators I don't think that would be realistic for classic Disney and Santa meet n greats. It would be super easy to have him meet and greet near the NOS train station keeping him close to the haunted mansion holiday

Sharon&Susan

My biggest problem with the Bayou is that it's not a setting that really works well with restaurants and shops (beyond just there to look nice like Blue Bayou), especially since we can't fall back on anthropomorphic animals. Maybe a Mama Odie shop or Steamboat restaurant?

Honestly I'd prefer to have Frog Mountain be what takes you to the Bayou and make CC a NOS expansion.

mickeyfan5534

While i do have ideas based on a bayou night before Christmas book I had growing up in which Santa was on a river boat pulled by gators I don't think that would be realistic for classic Disney and Santa meet n greats. It would be super easy to have him meet and greet near the NOS train station keeping him close to the haunted mansion holiday
S W A M P S A N T A

Outbound

My biggest problem with the Bayou is that it's not a setting that really works well with restaurants and shops (beyond just there to look nice like Blue Bayou), especially since we can't fall back on anthropomorphic animals. Maybe a Mama Odie shop or Steamboat restaurant?

Honestly I'd prefer to have Frog Mountain be what takes you to the Bayou and make CC a NOS expansion.

What if we did something unique with the swamp? Maybe added SEA somehow, with the swamp being a hideout for some strange steampunk inventor? Sorta imagining it as discovery bay in a bayou.

pix

Without trying to sound blunt: SEA is lazy. It always feels like an easy cop-out for armchair imagineering.

I wouldn't really agree with the intensity of that statemtent. Sometimes it is a bit over done but I don't think it's lazy. It requires making a new character from scratch and putting them realistically into the pre-existing story as well as smartly tying it into a web of lore and hidden details. It's like a puzzle.

I don't have a strong opinion on if we use S.E.A. in this project either way but I would argue against it being lazy.

Sharon&Susan

Instead of having a character from SEA, why don't we have a friend of Mama Odie (since she'll probably be something we're heading towards in Frog Mountain) who uses her/his voodoo powers to control/warp the bayou and its inhabitants?

Could do some creative stuff with it and it would work well with the world of PaTF.

EDIT: If we wanted to connect this character to the rest of the cast (not-Mama Odie) we could make it Charlotte's mother.

Last edited:

Outbound

Instead of having a character from SEA, why don't we have a friend of Mama Odie (since she'll probably be something we're heading towards in Frog Mountain) who uses her/his voodoo powers to control/warp the bayou and its inhabitants?

Could do some creative stuff with it and it would work well with the world of PaTF.

This could be a good way to get around realism. For instance, if we wanted to make the swamp more child-friendly with talking trees or animals, we could do it under the claim it's voodoo magic. And on the contrary, if we wanted to make the swamp sinister we would explain it with bad voodoo magic.

Sharon&Susan

Would it be possible to have the front part of Critter Country converted into a New Orleans River port (so we could have Tiana's Palace and not have to replace the Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans in NOS), but past that it becomes swamp like and the buildings are old and ravaged. But there's an element of magic throughout the land due to both the good and evil voodoo practiced by its inhabitants.

AceAstro

Would it be possible to have the front part of Critter Country converted into a New Orleans River port (so we could have Tiana's Palace and not have to replace the Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans in NOS), but past that it becomes swamp like and the buildings are old and ravaged. But there's an element of magic throughout the land due to both the good and evil voodoo practiced by its inhabitants.
I’m all for this idea!

I’m not super well versed with Voodoo so I definitely wouldn’t take the lead in this myself (would leave it to someone more well versed so we don’t make something accidentally offensive).

Voodoo can, unfortunately, have a very negative stereotype so we would have to make sure we don’t play into that and give the NOS extension the wrong idea

pix

I’m all for this idea!

I’m not super well versed with Voodoo so I definitely wouldn’t take the lead in this myself (would leave it to someone more well versed so we don’t make something accidentally offensive).

Voodoo can, unfortunately, have a very negative stereotype so we would have to make sure we don’t play into that and give the NOS extension the wrong idea

Yeah. I'm not entirely sure how to take this on as voodoo is a closed practice and considering I myself am neither black or integrated into voodoo practices I would be very hesitant to take this on

pix

I agree with this. With the right people, it’d be flawless. I just don’t know if we are the right people

That's why I am kinda... Iffy about this prompt. The change over is to try and remove the racist connotations of song of the south but a bunch of non-black people (unless I am mistaken and one of us is black in which case I leave the stage to you) but it feels weird to have a group like this try and take on this project, especially with voodoo being a closed practice and especially with the current world climate. I normally come here to get away from that all but this prompt it would feel wrong not to bring it up

Outbound

Maybe to contrast the aristocratic NOS, we could make CC a small fishing community within the bayou. Would work well with the Harbor Gallery and Pooh could be rethemed to a fishing journey (based on the frog hunting scene in PaTF).

I like this! Maybe even ditch the PaTF entirely (it is a lot to have an entire sub-land themed to it) and do an original IP adventure about fishing in Lousiana?

The Western Southern River Expedition

AceAstro

Maybe to contrast the aristocratic NOS, we could make CC a small fishing community within the bayou. Would work well with the Harbor Gallery and Pooh could be rethemed to a fishing journey (based on the frog hunting scene in PaTF).
I was about to say something similar! Theme the area to a classic bayou as we all have the canoes right there to play off of.

6DCBFC45-F082-4712-A951-CDFFBDA35238.jpeg

Can make Pooh a C-ticket dark ride about some sort of bayou experience and Hungry Bear becomes a gumbo restaurant.

Allows us to transition for the hustle and bustle of New Orleans to the deep bayou in minutes just from Haunted Mansion to the other side of Frog Mountain

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom