NuOrbis Brainstorming Thread - Project Seven: A Splash of Placemaking

Outbound

I like this alot more. It feels way less like walking on eggshells and I feel fits better

So I suppose the question is, should we go ahead and replace Pooh entirely (original IP), or would that dock us too much in the realism department and should we opt for a light retheme instead (maybe having Pooh in the swamp for some reason). I'd prefer to get rid of Pooh entirely because although it's a fine IP, it's never fit the area. But we also don't want to go too blue sky with this.

pix

So I suppose the question is, should we go ahead and replace Pooh entirely (original IP), or would that dock us too much in the realism department and should we opt for a light retheme instead (maybe having Pooh in the swamp for some reason). I'd prefer to get rid of Pooh entirely because although it's a fine IP, it's never fit the area. But we also don't want to go too blue sky with this.
I think if we move Pooh to fantasy land where it belongs then it's fine

Sharon&Susan

So here's some concert art for the vehicle if we go down the direction of doing a retheme of Pooh with a fishing ride:
FISHBOAT.jpg

Outbound

Replace one of the absolutely terrifying dark rides that should not be marketed twords children. I personally have a vendetta against Pinocchio but snow white is a good option too

Mini rant time, Alice in Wonderland makes no sense. The ride just suddenly ends with the Queen sending you to die, then goes outside randomly for no reason and then you’re suddenly with the Mad Hatter drinking tea! Take it down!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon&Susan

I like this! Maybe even ditch the PaTF entirely (it is a lot to have an entire sub-land themed to it) and do an original IP adventure about fishing in Lousiana?

The Western Southern River Expedition
I would have a few PATF elements such as Briar Patch selling the (legally required) Princess dresses and having a few corresponding food items at the Hungry Bear Restaurant.

Also what are we going to do about the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes? I can see that becoming an awkward situation for Disney some day in the future just like SM is today.

AceAstro

What if we applied Ride and Go Seek tech to give guests “fog lights” to search the dark, surrounding swamp for gators threatening the boat?
Can we do something other than gators? I know it’s the other coast but I feel like outside of Louis for PatF Disney is moving more away from using gators after the incident.

AceAstro

Also what are we going to do about the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes? I can see that becoming an awkward situation for Disney some day in the future just like SM is today.
They can stay. I don’t think Crockett is controversial like Splash was?

Adding the Bayou fits to “The Rivers of America” theme.

(plus I love those canoes I wouldn’t want to lose them lmao)

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Based on what I've seen so far in the thread, here are my thoughts.

Right off the bat, I am going to say that I am cautiously optimistic about the Princess and the Frog retheme to Splash Mountain. I like that PATF is getting the attention it deserves and I do think it's clever (in a way) that this ride is reclaiming the ride based on the rather antiquated (and frankly, racist) movie Song of the South for themselves, you know? But Disney's track record with its ride rethemes is, well, polarizing (look at the Antman and the Wasp retheme for HKDL's Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters) so I really hope they invest a lot of time and cash developing the retheme so that losing Splash Mountain will be all worth it.

Anyway, going back to the prompt. I'm for the bayou retheming idea, without the voodoo (I don't think we'd want to end up on another Twitter thread about racism in WDWMagic). From the looks of it, the facade of the ride seems to be set in the New Orleans Bayou (judging by overgrown landscape Tiana and Louis is in) and I think if we blend the surroundings in with that, it would work harmoniously with each other. I also think the Bayou is more familiar to everyday guests, especially for fans of the film (since you know, the majority of the movie is set in it). On the onset, I don't think we'll do any drastic rethemes (except for one; I'll get to that) if we go for it. The Hungry Bear restaurant is set on stilt posts over a portion of the Rivers of America, which seems to be a common feature in houses in those parts. Harbour Galley could easily be rethemed from New England to New Orleans.*

Now, the Pooh Conundrum. Either way we go for the retheme, I think it would have to go and rethemed to something else. Ace's idea for an "airboat ride in the swamps" seems sound but given the "scenic placemaking and transitions" prompt, I think that should be the least of our worries. As long as we all agree that Pooh gets the boot, we'll be fine. Let's just say the new ride will be in Phase 2 and call it a day. Pooh can go over in Fantasyland and take over the Canal Boats (which by the way, isn't a novel idea). 🤷🏻‍♂️

* Edited: removed this one "...and be expanded to table service by adding a riverboat in the dock and have guests dine there instead (I think @AceAstro suggested this)."

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Honestly, so long as you don't go full in on the ride and just give more of a general description of the ride, I'll allow it. Bonus points if you just do an overlay

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom