NuCitra Brainstorming Thread - Project Seven: A Splash of Placemaking

PerGron

Alrighty, so since we’re going with WDW, I have the perfect way to connect them through a bit of historical theming.

In 1803, President Thomas Jefferson initiated a plan with the French to purchase the Louisiana Territory for a whopping $15 million. This became known as the Louisiana Purchase and doubled the size of the United States of America, and began the expanse westward ho.

Two pretty well known figures helped to aid in the mapping of the Louisiana Territory, known as Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, who explores, mapped, and catalogued the biomes, Wildlife and plant life, and established communications with many Indigenous Tribes.

How do we connect New Orleans to the Old West? Well, the same way Thomas Jefferson did, with a subland featuring Lewis and Clark and the Louisiana Purchase

goofyyukyuk

Alrighty, so since we’re going with WDW, I have the perfect way to connect them through a bit of historical theming.

In 1803, President Thomas Jefferson initiated a plan with the French to purchase the Louisiana Territory for a whopping $15 million. This became known as the Louisiana Purchase and doubled the size of the United States of America, and began the expanse westward ho.

Two pretty well known figures helped to aid in the mapping of the Louisiana Territory, known as Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, who explores, mapped, and catalogued the biomes, Wildlife and plant life, and established communications with many Indigenous Tribes.

How do we connect New Orleans to the Old West? Well, the same way Thomas Jefferson did, with a subland featuring Lewis and Clark and the Louisiana Purchase
That's genius!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

That sounds really good in theory, but I'm trying to picture exactly how that would work? Like in the practical and spatial sense? What types of changes or additions could come with adding a Lewis and Clark story? I love the thematic and historical connection there though and think this is definitely a good possible starting point.

If we don't use this as our full concept, I could definitely see it as an interactive game tying the whole Rivers of America together. Explore it learning about animal tracks and plants from around the country.

PerGron

That sounds really good in theory, but I'm trying to picture exactly how that would work? Like in the practical and spatial sense? What types of changes or additions could come with adding a Lewis and Clark story? I love the thematic and historical connection there though and think this is definitely a good possible starting point.

If we don't use this as our full concept, I could definitely see it as an interactive game tying the whole Rivers of America together. Explore it learning about animal tracks and plants from around the country.

I didn’t do my concept much justice now that I reread it.

My concept is to take that portion of Frontierland with Splash Mountain and make it into a mini New Orleans Square. Just feature Splash Mountain (change the entrance so it’s closer to Adventureland) and change Pecos Bill to a Tiana’s Place type Restaurant.

From there we follow the Lewis and Clark Expedition out West. I could see having a small interactive game, bringing back the Canoes into the river but themed to Lewis and Clark, and have the theme be transitionary from New Orleans to out west Same as the Louisiana Purchase

JokersWild

Absolutely love the Lewis and Clark angle.

What I’m picturing right now is less NOS and more deep bayou frontier. The fort changes into a trading outpost, the briar patch store changes into a small restaurant with Cajun food, and the Liberty Belle is moved and given a new dock in front of the ride to round out the area.

Really adore the idea of the interactive elements as well. I’ll keep fleshing things out while I’m at work and come back.

We also need a team leader. @goofyyukyukyuk17?

NigelChanning

I didn’t do my concept much justice now that I reread it.

My concept is to take that portion of Frontierland with Splash Mountain and make it into a mini New Orleans Square. Just feature Splash Mountain (change the entrance so it’s closer to Adventureland) and change Pecos Bill to a Tiana’s Place type Restaurant.

From there we follow the Lewis and Clark Expedition out West. I could see having a small interactive game, bringing back the Canoes into the river but themed to Lewis and Clark, and have the theme be transitionary from New Orleans to out west Same as the Louisiana Purchase
We could make Tom Sawer Island about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

goofyyukyuk

Absolutely love the Lewis and Clark angle.

What I’m picturing right now is less NOS and more deep bayou frontier. The fort changes into a trading outpost, the briar patch store changes into a small restaurant with Cajun food, and the Liberty Belle is moved and given a new dock in front of the ride to round out the area.

Really adore the idea of the interactive elements as well. I’ll keep fleshing things out while I’m at work and come back.

We also need a team leader. @goofyyukyukyuk17?
I like the idea of it not being a reproduction of NOS but another take on Louisiana style theming.
I’m open to being project leader if nobody else would rather take it!

JokersWild

We could make Tom Sawer Island about the Lewis and Clark expedition.
I think that branching out too far. I think that we’re supposed to be keeping within the immediate area around Splash, but there are still a ton of story elements we could throw into this. My goal personally is to make this as dense, themed, and story-driven as possible given the small footprint we’re working with.

goofyyukyuk

I think that branching out too far. I think that we’re supposed to be keeping within the immediate area around Splash, but there are still a ton of story elements we could throw into this. My goal personally is to make this as dense, themed, and story-driven as possible given the small footprint we’re working with.
Haha I see where you’re coming from... @TheOriginalTiki is the intent to stay contained to Splash’s immediate area or is Tom Sawyer Island fair game for story advancement?

NigelChanning

Honestly, we could initially just put some New Orleans themed stores and restaurants by Splash, change Pecos Bills to Tiana’s place, and put an interactive Lewis and Clark game. I don’t know what else you can do with the limited space. I don’t think we’ve 100% settled on this concept so I’ll keep the ideas going if that’s okay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom