Not-so-obvious WDW Activities

gbruenin

We're planning to be in 'the world' at the end of April and I'm looking for some of the not-well-known activities for the family. Most folks know of things like the Luau, Backyard BBQ, backstage tours. I'm looking for some of the things that one would need to be 'in the know' to learn about...such as the pontoon/Breathless cruise for Wishes/Illuminations, the pirate treasure hunt for the kids, the 'goodnight kiss'. Anthing you can share is appreciated.

Thanks. Gary

kag1984

A couple of years ago they also did Doll Making at DAKL and they would also do some other craft projects that would change every day throughout the week. You can call their front desk to get more info on it. The campfire sing-along is great, just remember to bring your own smores to roast. Good times.

Upvote 0

Gartdog

I know the tours have been mentioned, but I want to put extra emphasis on DiveQuest if anyone in your party is SCUBA certified. You get to SCUBA dive in the Living Seas tank and not only see the ocean life up close, but interact with guests watching through the glass and become part of the show. It is fantastic.

Upvote 0

ArielBelle

ChuckElias said:
My favorite spot is on the beach outside the Polynesian. We get a rice krispy Mickey and sit on the beach. Very nice. We usually do this the first night we arrive in Orlando.

I heard at one of the beaches, they pump the sound in for Wishes. Is this true and where? I would love to watch the fireworks laying on the beach or in a hammock!!

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

ArielBelle said:
I heard at one of the beaches, they pump the sound in for Wishes. Is this true and where? I would love to watch the fireworks laying on the beach or in a hammock!!
This was not true at Poynesian (I haven't gotten the hang of all the abbreviations yet!) the last time we were there. I'll let you know on April 16 if it has changed. :)

Upvote 0

WDWCP

How about getting to the Poly early and getting a hammock with your SO. Just relax there for a while and then catch Wishes from acorss the lagoon. You won't have the music, but it's still great.

Also, get yourself a haircut on mainstreet! They have an actual barber shop thee that most people don't notice there.

I've read about the segway tour, but anyone know how much it costs per person?

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

WDWCP said:
How about getting to the Poly early and getting a hammock with your SO. Just relax there for a while and then catch Wishes from acorss the lagoon. You won't have the music, but it's still great.
I think I just said that. . . :D

Also, get yourself a haircut on mainstreet! They have an actual barber shop thee that most people don't notice there.
I did that once. They sprinkled me with pixie dust before I left. My daughter loved the sparkles in my hair.

I've read about the segway tour, but anyone know how much it costs per person?
I think it's $60, although I could certainly be wrong about that. There is an Annual Passholder discount. I've done it and it was a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

WDWCP

ChuckElias said:
I think I just said that. . . :D

Oops... Sorry, I missed that! :hammer:

Thanks!

I might have to try that segway tour... I'll have an annual pass, but not AAA, so here's hoping to a good AP discount!

Upvote 0

gbruenin

Original Poster
I just printed out the scavenger hunt. Awesome. We did the VMK quests last time, but this is MUCH cooler. What a great way to see the park for the 'first time' again. Love the Segway idea also.

One of the replies above mentioned the DiveQuest at Living Seas. I recall seeing something of another program for non-scuba certified folks that uses a surface air supply pump with a long hose, possibly to a full face mask. Does anyone know if this program is real or just part of my Disney-influenced imagination?

Gary

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
gbruenin said:
I just printed out the scavenger hunt. Awesome. We did the VMK quests last time, but this is MUCH cooler. What a great way to see the park for the 'first time' again. Love the Segway idea also.

One of the replies above mentioned the DiveQuest at Living Seas. I recall seeing something of another program for non-scuba certified folks that uses a surface air supply pump with a long hose, possibly to a full face mask. Does anyone know if this program is real or just part of my Disney-influenced imagination?

Gary

The other Living Seas Tour is AquaQuest. It does not require SCUBA certification and allows for children as young as 9. You use self contained breathers (not a hose), but have on a flotation jacket that you couldn't get underwater under any circumstances. They have a mask, fins and a wetsuit. A really great time short of a free dive.

Upvote 0

pintraderpayee

Something DD (12) wants to try this year is to be at AK prior to opening so we can see "The Awakening" with Rafiki. We've never seen it and it sounds like an inspirational way to start a day of magic! I hope they will still be doing this in early April despite the anticipation of larger crowds due to EE's grand opening. Maybe someone here knows...9 days until we are Orlando bound with 27 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:)

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Astronaut Jones said:
I'm real late to be quoting this; it was said a few pages back. Anyway, I've never heard of this, do the binoculars cost money? Are the only available to guests of the AK resort?

Believe it is free and open to anyone who wants to do it. Schedules are posted at the Lodge.

WDWCP said:

Bring an iPod with mini-speakers or a headphone splitter and fire up the wishes soundtrack in time with the show!

Upvote 0

ArielBelle

SpenceMan01 said:
Bring an iPod with mini-speakers or a headphone splitter and fire up the wishes soundtrack in time with the show!

what an awesome idea!! but how would i know when to start it??

wow...that would be soooooooo amazing!

Upvote 0

WDWCP

ArielBelle said:
what an awesome idea!! but how would i know when to start it??

wow...that would be soooooooo amazing!

That could be really cool, but I bet it would be tough to get the timing exactly right. If it's just slightly off, it will sound like an echo all around you!

I guess it wouldn't matter too much if you have personal headphones on, but the loudspekers would be weird if it was just a tiny bit off from the audio on the park speakers!

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

I've never been to the Poly, so I don't know as far as views and how much of MK you can see. I would get it queued up at the beginning of the track and have it paused, waiting. When the lights on MSUSA go out (assuming you can see them from the Poly, or at least the glow from the lights), hit play and enjoy!

Upvote 0

WDWCP

SpenceMan01 said:
I've never been to the Poly, so I don't know as far as views and how much of MK you can see. I would get it queued up at the beginning of the track and have it paused, waiting. When the lights on MSUSA go out (assuming you can see them from the Poly, or at least the glow from the lights), hit play and enjoy!

I think I totally misunderstood the prior post about this. I was picturing someone standing along Main Street watching Wishes while trying to get the sound from an iPod to sync up correctly.

Watching from the Poly or thereabouts would be fantastic. You wouldn't have to have it sync EXACTLY at the right spot as you could likely get it close enough...

Upvote 0

dazzle_em55

spike595 said:
On Thurs. they had a family help open MK.... How do you get to do that? Must have to get there waaaayyyy early and stand at the gate first or something.

How do you get to do that??? It is one of my favorite openings to watch. It just sets the mood for a wonderful day (sometimes it even brings a tear to my eye). We almost missed it when we went for Christmas and I was getting upset with my dad because he would not hurry up:brick: .

Upvote 0

loriwdunn

ChuckElias said:
Lori, that's awesome. I've already printed it out. (We'll be there April 16!!!! :sohappy: )

But on the website where the hunt items are listed, it mentions an Annual Passholder scavenger hunt, and implies that there are prizes involved. Do you know any more about that? Does anybody? Thanks!!

I'm not an AP holder, so I don't know. But we had fun...I bought a little prize for the winner in my family.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

WDWCP said:
I think I totally misunderstood the prior post about this. I was picturing someone standing along Main Street watching Wishes while trying to get the sound from an iPod to sync up correctly.

Yeah. I have thought about using your technique while riding Spaceship Earth. I really miss the old narration and music ("Tomorrow's Child").

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

We ate at Boma for dinner and while waiting, we wandered around the resort. Kids headed out back (Me: Come back - I don't think you're supposed to go back there!), and returned about 10 min later with tales of a very cute CM (that was from the teenage son) and her amazing night goggles (from daughter). So anyone can do that.

Other interesting things:
Ride Tower of Terror twice in a row - once FP and once standby. It's a doubly creepy deja vu feeling the second time.

On a night when MK is open later than Epcot, park at Epcot, ride the monorail to MK (maybe after dinner at Epcot), enjoy MK, and then ride the monorail back to Epcot to get your car. If you do this after Epcot closes, the ride around the park is very interesting - cars, maintenance work, cleaning, etc - you can see what's going on after hours. We did this the night the Flower show ended and saw them taking down some of the topiaries.

On the night we arrive, in order to get some magic without using a park day, we like to eat at a resort on the monorail (Chef Mickey's, Concourse Steakhouse, 'Ohana, etc) and then ride the monorail to the various resorts and enjoy a little shopping and sightseeing there. And you can do this for the price of your dinner (or probably even for free, but we like the dinner part!)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom