Not-so-obvious WDW Activities

gbruenin

We're planning to be in 'the world' at the end of April and I'm looking for some of the not-well-known activities for the family. Most folks know of things like the Luau, Backyard BBQ, backstage tours. I'm looking for some of the things that one would need to be 'in the know' to learn about...such as the pontoon/Breathless cruise for Wishes/Illuminations, the pirate treasure hunt for the kids, the 'goodnight kiss'. Anthing you can share is appreciated.

Thanks. Gary

tigger1968

csaribay said:
The "goodnight kiss" is Disney's metaphor for a "sweet" element that concludes a day at the resort- typically being entertainment such as fireworks. QUOTE]

The goodnight kiss isn't fireworks....but if you can see it...it's very much worth sticking around for, IMHO.:)

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

luna99 said:
what is the Party-line phone on Main Street ?

In the Emporium ( I think) on Main Street, USA (half way down on the right as you face the Castle) , there is an old fashioned phone on the shops wall near one of the cash registers. If you pick up the earphone piece and listen, you can hear two ladies on the phone talking, just like the old time party lines.
Kind of fun.

Upvote 0

Jerm

Chip and Dale's Campfire and Sing-a-long over at Frt Wilderness!!! They have a fun camp fire then they show a Disney movie. It goes everynight and they always show some great family friendly Disney movie. On Fridays and Saturdays during the off season they show 2 movies. I didn't know about this till I found it online as a CM. But it is fun to do.

J

Upvote 0

Jerriko

This Kiss Goodnight as I understand it is the Castle changing colours at the end of the night...It's rally kewl to sit and people watch on mainstreet at the end of the day with the castle in the background...

Man I want to go back.. :)

Chris

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

OK--maybe we're just geeks, or don't get out enough, but my family had a blast sending e-mail postcards from 3 locations in Epcot:

Mission: Space
Innoventions
Imagination Pavilion--Image Works

Don't forget to pack everyone's e-mail addresses as well as your own!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

If you want to ride with the driver of the monorail and there is someone waiting already, just ask the CM if you could wait and ride the next one. We have done this a few times.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

shoppingnut said:
If you want to ride with the driver of the monorail and there is someone waiting already, just ask the CM if you could wait and ride the next one. We have done this a few times.
Also, it is easier to do when you're going "against the flow", ie: From MK to TTC in the morning and TTC to MK in the afternoon/evening.

OT:
We had the opportunity of being able to ride up front as they were executing train switch (moving a train from the express loop to the Epcot loop, and adding a train from maintainance to the express loop). They have to do a check as they approach the Magic Kingdom to make sure that the automatic safety stop engages if the trains get too close and manually stop them if it doesn't kick in. It is crazy listening to the radio chatter that takes place during this procedure.

Upvote 0

pacochran

Just a few that I have heard of but can't say I've tried yet.

At the Boardwalk you can rent I would call them bicycle carts, they sit up from two up but they look like carts but you pedal them. You can go all around the area to the Beach and Yacht Club resorts.

I believe there are various places that you can book Fishing Trips, on the Disney waterways. I believe if you catch anything you have to throw it back, it's just for the experience.

Also on various waterways you can rent boats and I think pedal boats. I have seen a spot outside the Yacht Club that rents little boats.

Have fun.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

At Port Orleans Riverside, you can go fishing at a fishing hole on Old Man Island. They even bait your hook and everything. Kinda fun.

They also have the pedal carts there for rent, and a nice long track that takes you over bridges and next to water.

ALSO... They have a great piano player in the evenings that puts on a FANTASTIC show... It's interactive... Gets people singing along... Gets the kids involved... It's great for all ages. Exactly what you would expect from Disney.

Upvote 0

Astronaut Jones

SpenceMan01 said:
Viewing the animals on the savannah at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with (Disney provided) nightvision binoculars.

I'm real late to be quoting this; it was said a few pages back. Anyway, I've never heard of this, do the binoculars cost money? Are the only available to guests of the AK resort?

Upvote 0

Yetiguy

gbruenin said:
We're planning to be in 'the world' at the end of April and I'm looking for some of the not-well-known activities for the family. Most folks know of things like the Luau, Backyard BBQ, backstage tours. I'm looking for some of the things that one would need to be 'in the know' to learn about...such as the pontoon/Breathless cruise for Wishes/Illuminations, the pirate treasure hunt for the kids, the 'goodnight kiss'. Anthing you can share is appreciated.

Thanks. Gary

Have a great trip! Don't waste your time on Everest. It's highly overrated.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
ArielBelle said:
i <3 this thread. more original ideas please!!

where is everyone's favorite spot (outside of the parks) to catch Wishes or Illuminations??

I think the shows are greatly diminished when viewed outside the park...it just becomes an OK fireworks show. Watching from inside Cali Grill, O'hana or Narcoossee's I thinks is vastly overrated. Along the beach at the Poly is OK, but for me, you have to be on Main Street or around the lake at Epcot.

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

ArielBelle said:
i <3 this thread. more original ideas please!!

where is everyone's favorite spot (outside of the parks) to catch Wishes or Illuminations??
My favorite spot is on the beach outside the Polynesian. We get a rice krispy Mickey and sit on the beach. Very nice. We usually do this the first night we arrive in Orlando.

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

loriwdunn said:
There is a 'scavenger hunt' for the MK. We made it into a competition. Definitely worth checking out because its free and you can do it whenever you want.
Lori, that's awesome. I've already printed it out. (We'll be there April 16!!!! :sohappy: )

But on the website where the hunt items are listed, it mentions an Annual Passholder scavenger hunt, and implies that there are prizes involved. Do you know any more about that? Does anybody? Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom