Not-so-obvious WDW Activities

gbruenin

We're planning to be in 'the world' at the end of April and I'm looking for some of the not-well-known activities for the family. Most folks know of things like the Luau, Backyard BBQ, backstage tours. I'm looking for some of the things that one would need to be 'in the know' to learn about...such as the pontoon/Breathless cruise for Wishes/Illuminations, the pirate treasure hunt for the kids, the 'goodnight kiss'. Anthing you can share is appreciated.

Thanks. Gary

DopeysGirl1226

There is a flag ceremony that you can sign up for at the Wilderness Lodge. Each day one family gets to go on the roof and help raise all the flags. You have to check with the desk for availability when you get there. :wave:

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think you have to be staying at either WL or VWL to get a chance at the Flag Family thing. I'm going to request it when we check in in late April. :)

Beyond that... man, I can't think of anything out of the ordinary ATM. I'll keep thinking, though.

Upvote 0

kbusch

Not sure if this is would really be considered "in the know" or not but they offer horse drawn carriage rides at both Port Orleans Riverside & Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. My DH & I went on one at POR this past September and really enjoyed it. It was realaxing and it gave us a chance to see more of POR & POFQ. It was our anniv when we took the carriage ride and they let us bring a bottle of champange with us....thought that was pretty neat. You mentioned that you are going with the family and from what I have seen, kids really seem to enjoy carriage rides as well. If I remember correctly it was $30 (tip not included) and the ride lasted about a half hour. :wave:

Upvote 0

spike595

On Thurs. they had a family help open MK.... How do you get to do that? Must have to get there waaaayyyy early and stand at the gate first or something.

Upvote 0

loriwdunn

I don't think this is really unusual, but I really had a good time playing mini golf (winter side) at Winter Summerland. We played at night and had fun. I also heard that there is a princess tea at GF if you have younger daughters. I've been horseback riding at FW but found it to be nothing special (no different than going anywhere else) and I don't think its worth the price. They have nightly wagon rides (heard sometimes you can see fireworks) in addition to carriage rides at FW as well. I heard that at AKL they have nightly storytelling around the pool area but I don't know much else about it.

Upvote 0

csaribay

cajunCinderella said:
what is the goodnight kiss???

The "goodnight kiss" is Disney's metaphor for a "sweet" element that concludes a day at the resort- typically being entertainment such as fireworks.

Resort hopping can be quite fun if you've got some time to spare. Seeing all the unique elements that make up a Disney resort truly can be mystifying. For instance, the GF offers a free tour that take an inner look at the hotel that many guests won't see. This isn't restricted to guests staying at the GF, but reservations are required, and the hotel does not offer the tour daily.

More overlooked attractions at Deb's website.

Upvote 0

pintraderpayee

I hear that if you are first to ask, the monorail CMs will let a family ride in the front nose section. DH and I hope to do this in early April with DS and DD.14 days until we are Orlando bound with 27 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:)

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I wouldn't say that the tours are particularly "well known". Don't know the ages of your party, but most tours are only available to ages 16+. If you all meet that, the Segway "tour" in Epcot it very different and great fun. Even if you have younger kids, Epcot Aquatour for a swim in the Living Seas tank is great fun.

In addition to the WL flag retreat, there is also one done on Main Street.

There are things like parasailing available on 7 Seas. Massages for adults. If you haven't done Cirque du Soleil, that is a must do! Check out performances on your stay, particularly times for "Push", "DeVine", "Wes Palm" for interactive. Also check out the talking water fountains (Epcot), trash cans etc.

Upvote 0

trr313

SpenceMan01 said:
Viewing the animals on the savannah at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with (Disney provided) nightvision binoculars.

I second this. I took the kids and did this and they loved it, really neat idea.

Upvote 0

loriwdunn

There is a 'scavenger hunt' for the MK. We made it into a competition. Definitely worth checking out because its free and you can do it whenever you want.

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/huntmk.html

It was fun and caused us to notice things we never saw before. A CM told me they have to do that when they get hired, but I don't know if that is true. Someone here should know.

We also went to the Beach Club Resort for the Kitchen Sink. That was fun...we walked over from EPCOT (kitchen sink is a 20-something scoop icecream sundae)

Upvote 0

flscooman

. I heard that at AKL they have nightly storytelling around the pool area but I don't know much else about it.[/quote]It's actually outside the main lobby on the Arusha Rock overlook next to firepit. 6:30pm

Upvote 0

col

i went on a carriage ride at fort wilderness over xmas and it was beautiful and relaxing. going past all the vans,camps,cabins really was something special especially seeing them all decorated with lights,trees,figures -everything was beyond perfect and the guests kept wishing "happy christmas and good new year" which i never expected. i would do it again either at FW or PO only there as its something different.:)

Upvote 0

scheddj

pintraderpayee said:
I hear that if you are first to ask, the monorail CMs will let a family ride in the front nose section. DH and I hope to do this in early April with DS and DD.14 days until we are Orlando bound with 27 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:)

We did this on our trip. They gave us all monorail co-pilot licenses signed by Mickey. This was one of our trip highlights. Make sure you have your camera because you can get some great resort shots out the window.

Upvote 0

CatLady

loriwdunn said:
I don't think this is really unusual, but I really had a good time playing mini golf (winter side) at Winter Summerland. We played at night and had fun.

We played an evening round of Fantasia Mini-Golf last October and were there to hear the music from Fantasmic. You can see some of the pyro at the end from the course, and if you look at the right time, you can spot Mickey atop the mountain.

Upvote 0

pintraderpayee

scheddj said:
We did this on our trip. They gave us all monorail co-pilot licenses signed by Mickey. This was one of our trip highlights. Make sure you have your camera because you can get some great resort shots out the window.

Thanks for the tip! I always try to plan a little something extra for my kids since they are so understanding about sharing both parents with their parents' high school students. Most of our students have NEVER been on vacation, some have never traveled outside of Louisiana, sooooo you can imagine the number of questions:hammer: DD wants to hunt for Tom Sawyer's lost brushes as well. Hope he hasn't found them all by now:D

13 days until we are Orlando bound with 27 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom