Not so magical

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think from a business standpoint, Disney has to tread cautiously in this area, and they know this. Disney has made national news in the past for simply telling people what they were wearing was inappropriate. Or when a cast member moved his hand to block a kid from unzipping his suit, and being accused of 'punching' the 'poor kid'.

Unfortunately, it seems the ones that cause the most problems have the loudest voice.

News headline: "Disney ejects guests for being rude" "Disney ejects guests for breaking the rules" "Disney ruins vacations"

The mob will not have empathy for those who had their vacations "ruined" because they were being selfish. Honestly, I'd bet Disney would come out looking like the Hero because for every thread like this there are thousands of people who have their own story about how some obnoxious person impacted their trip. The idea that Disney would actually start enforcing some rules and decorum would probably cause a surge of positive image for Disney simply because there are so many people wronged in the past.

Do stadiums and pro sports teams get black eyes when they throw out drunks or fighting ticket holders? Or take away people's season tickets for bad behavior? No

Have you heard national stories about how Seaworld ruins vacations because they are so strict about their outside food policy at Aquatica? No

What would get Disney in hot water is draconian rules people don't agree with. But the problem isn't the rules - its the lack of enforcement of the rules.

Once again you just make excuses to defend Disney's lack of action.

Nemo14

I have taken my girls out of school for family time and vacation. I will tell you - the school schedule is more damaging to my girls education than the week I spend away with my family. Getting my girls back into school routine after Christmas break, Presidents break, Spring break, and Summer break is more of a challenge. And I did not even include snow days, holidays, and just plain, no school because of something days.

I am pretty confident for the next few years, I will be able to support my girls education by helping them with their assignments.

I work all year, and I get the flexibility to choose what weeks I take off. With that said, spending time when the parks are less crowded makes a world of difference for most of us. Even if that means I have to do a little addition and subtraction along the way.
With all due respect, you mentioned before that your kids are 2 and 5. I can assure you that there is a "World" of difference between them missing a week now than missing a week if they were, say 10 years older.

rt06

Do something about South Americans. Now tell us how you really feel.

Ban people that dawdle. I'd love for you to elaborate on that one. Will there be dawdle free zones? Do I have to proceed directly to the next ride?

Inquire about medical conditions. If that's too intrusive, how about a cardiac stress test?

And darn the fat bodies. Maybe I can set the pace standard for Disney's new magical no-dilly-dallying-hurry-up-and-wait experience. Since the majority of adults and zero children under the age of 14 would ever be able to keep up, attendance will lower by 85%, but that won't solve the problem of South Americans, since it is they who are actually healthier in comparison.

But be absolutely, positively sure that CMs enforce these rules with a smile.

GrammieBee

Consider yourself lucky then.

I was sitting on a bench on the curb at Hollywood Studios a couple of years ago waiting for a friend to arrive. 2 women in ECV's pulled up right in front of me and I had to move my feet to get out of the way. They didn't know each other (apparently) but were trying to take a photo of a squirl under the bench I was on. The woman in the front ECV then backed into the ECV behind her and a screaming match then pursued. All the time I am sitting there, unable to move out of the way, while they attracted the attention of everyone walking by.

There are idiots everywhere whether they are in or out of ECVs. Licensing ECV users is probably not the answer. You have to have a license to drive a car and that does not stop idiots from driving cars. There are people who can't handle an ECV the same as there are those who shouldn't drive a car or be allowed near anything mechanical. I know of no practical way to weed out all the idiots or the unable.

However, most of us in a scooter (ECV) are not idiots or unable, but we are still getting a bad reputation. I have to use a scooter ,but I do not spend my time looking at people's butts. I have to spend my time looking at their feet and legs trying to keep a safe distance while determining what direction they are going to go or if they are going to suddenly stop. While I am trying to avoid them, or waiting to see what they will do, they are completely oblivious of me because they are busy looking around, talking, checking their phone or whatever and I am below their sight line.
In ten years I have never run into anyone, but have twice run over a foot .(Only once at Disney) Both times I was moving slowly in very crowded conditions and the person walking next to me decided to unexpectedly change direction and put their foot directly in front of my front wheel. It is correct that if something unexpected happens you instictively squeeze the control instead of letting go. It works the exact opposite of other braking systems.

I have to be a careful driver, but others should take some responsibility and be aware of their surroundings.

Courtney6682

Here are a few more items to add to your well thought out and properly bulleted list:

*I agree with banning iPads in the parks but please allow us to continue to bring cell phones, iPods, laptop computers, desktop computers, and my abacus. I use it to figure out the true wait at Be Our Guest.

I literally LOL'd at desktop computers...hahahahahahahaha

Goofyernmost

As a teacher, I can tell you why it is a problem at least in my classroom. I plan out my lessons, projects and exams to maximize educational seat time and the amount of support I can give my students. There have been many times (and my colleagues have told me the same) that the student's families are going on vacation the week before (or after) the scheduled break - usually I am also told that this is because it is much cheaper. I put together a packet of information, but it is not the same as presenting the topic and explaining how all the information fits together. This time is usually when I try to finish my units so I can evaluate the progress of the student before they are out of school for a week +. When I am asked for the work, and give an assignment, when it is returned to me more often than not it is not what was required, but something that was hastily thrown together in the time before or after the vacation ran.

In many classrooms (not mine, but will tell you what friends have said) the new Common Core curriculum is very involved and requires that the student receive daily, direct instruction from the teacher. To miss 5 lessons can put a serious detriment on the student's understanding and ability to manage not only this topic but others that build upon it.

These are reasons that it is a problem for parents to pull a student out of school for a week. I understand that sometimes it is not an option, but the school calendars are available approximately 8 months before the school year, and planning your trip around them goes a long way to helping your son/daughter succeed.

That's my opinion - if you disagree, that's fine, but let's keep the discourse friendly.
To be honest, I can't think of any reason that I wouldn't keep this discourse friendly. I no longer have a horse in this race. I do, however, feel that because of the schools "mission" the rights of parents and students are being trampled on. Do I know what you folks are trying to do? Yes, very much so, but, the threats and consequences to the child are way to harsh considering that they have no real say in what their parents will ultimately do.

It's not the fact that it should be very clear that their missing time can and probably will cause a lessening of success in their school work, might even cause them to be held back or not graduate due to not meeting the standards, it's more that instead of spelling that out, the immediate reaction is we are going to punish your children in a non-repairable way because you are going against us. If a parent takes their child out for a couple of days are they any further behind then if they had been sick for a couple of days? That doesn't carry any super punishment other then what I spelled out of added need to make up what was missed in order to get back on track. I understand why, I just do not agree with the way it is handled. And is the real threat of failure equal in every child? Does an honor student not have a better chance of maintaining the standard then say someone that is just barely hanging on? I realize that there is no easy answer to this problem, but, in my mind the current school systems need to find a better way to discourage parents from scheduling trips during the school year other then severe threats against the individual that has the least say in their own destiny at that point in time.

216bruce

Yeah, you get an occasional grumpy cast member but considering the crazy number of rude, self-entitled and just plain dumb/unprepared folks they have to deal with it's understandable.
Far and away, the biggest problem with "not so magical" experiences is- like what has been expressed here in this thread by several people- "Eff ya'll...I paid a lot to get in and my kids are entitled to magic. I'll stand them on my shoulders if I want. Heck, I'll stack them one on one up there and I'll give them each a selfie-stick if it pleases me!" Then to state that doing this is in no way rude and that you aren't intentionally doing anything wrong?? Really?
Or- "Hey, we paid to get in and if I want to take one little itty-bitty flash photo in HM, well...too bad." It's all about me, my kids, blah, blah blah... (oh, and I'm not rude at all...)". Yet, I'm sure, if anyone looks at these trolls wrong they'll go off on you.
"We have met the enemy and they are us."

Matt_Black

Yeah, you get an occasional grumpy cast member but considering the crazy number of rude, self-entitled and just plain dumb/unprepared folks they have to deal with it's understandable.
Far and away, the biggest problem with "not so magical" experiences is- like what has been expressed here in this thread by several people- "Eff ya'll...I paid a lot to get in and my kids are entitled to magic. I'll stand them on my shoulders if I want. Heck, I'll stack them one on one up there and I'll give them each a selfie-stick if it pleases me!" Then to state that doing this is in no way rude and that you aren't intentionally doing anything wrong?? Really?
Or- "Hey, we paid to get in and if I want to take one little itty-bitty flash photo in HM, well...too bad." It's all about me, my kids, blah, blah blah... (oh, and I'm not rude at all...)". Yet, I'm sure, if anyone looks at these trolls wrong they'll go off on you.
"We have met the enemy and they are us."

Indeed. That sort of mentality overlooks one very simple fact- you might have paid to get in, but so did everybody else that you're irritating with your behavior.

NelsonRD

With all due respect, you mentioned before that your kids are 2 and 5. I can assure you that there is a "World" of difference between them missing a week now than missing a week if they were, say 10 years older.

Good catch. You are correct, 2 and 5. That is why I said I am confident in the years to come I can help the girls with their schoolwork. In fact, I am pretty confident I fill in for one week until they graduate.

216bruce

Indeed. That sort of mentality overlooks one very simple fact- you might have paid to get in, but so did everybody else that you're irritating with your behavior.
Matt, I think that's 'news' to many of these people. I see it everywhere, not just in WDW. Same thing at the arena and ballpark I work at. If I hear "I paid my money" one more time....
Honestly, when we took our kids to the parks when they were little, we NEVER put them up on our shoulders, cut in front of folks, took pix in rides (other than with a small non-lit camcorder) etc. Still, somehow (and it wasn't hard at all) they always saw what they needed to see. Plan a little bit, use FP+ to get a reserved spot, be decent or just ask folks if the little ones can stand in front- most adults are cool with it if the kids are well-behaved. In two words- be considerate or be reasonable.

NelsonRD

News headline: "Disney ejects guests for being rude" "Disney ejects guests for breaking the rules" "Disney ruins vacations"

The mob will not have empathy for those who had their vacations "ruined" because they were being selfish. Honestly, I'd bet Disney would come out looking like the Hero because for every thread like this there are thousands of people who have their own story about how some obnoxious person impacted their trip. The idea that Disney would actually start enforcing some rules and decorum would probably cause a surge of positive image for Disney simply because there are so many people wronged in the past.

Do stadiums and pro sports teams get black eyes when they throw out drunks or fighting ticket holders? Or take away people's season tickets for bad behavior? No

Have you heard national stories about how Seaworld ruins vacations because they are so strict about their outside food policy at Aquatica? No

What would get Disney in hot water is draconian rules people don't agree with. But the problem isn't the rules - its the lack of enforcement of the rules.

Once again you just make excuses to defend Disney's lack of action.

Yes Flynnibus we know. Every problem Disney has is a direct result of the poor management - and if you worked there, you would crack the whip and make all the problems go away, just like that. The parks will shine like the 80's, and people would sing and sing.... You keep attacking me because I defend and can understand the actions of Disney, but you can't- open your mind, and stop being so one sided.

Flynnibus for CEO!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes Flynnibus we know. Every problem Disney has is a direct result of the poor management - and if you worked there, you would crack the whip and make all the problems go away, just like that. The parks will shine like the 80's, and people would sing and sing.... You keep attacking me because I defend and can understand the actions of Disney, but you can't- open your mind, and stop being so one sided.

Flynnibus for CEO!

So in other words.. you can't actually address the topic but instead try to attack the poster. True to form...

Why is it this borish behavior isn't as common at your local grocery store, gas station, barber shop, etc? Simply because people aren't as tolerant. And your local shop has someone actually empowered to DO SOMETHING about it... where as in Disney, employees are NOT empowered and instead live in fear of retaliation from their superiors.

It has nothing to do with 'achievable' or not and everything to do with what Disney *CHOOSES* to do. They have no problem addressing problem people if you jump out of your ride vehicle, or go on a damage rampage.

The reality is, Disney has chosen the path that says "Assuring Disney minimizes their exposure due to a-holes is more important than minimizing other guest's exposure to a-holes"

Last edited:

216bruce

And honestly, when you get paid as crappy as a lot of front-line cast members get paid, I'd only take it so far too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know where you shop, but I see this kind of thing at grocery stores and other places from time to time.

Note I said "isn't as common" and does the manager take the offender aside and reward them for their behavior?

Do you find the public demeanor in the grocery store to be more agitated than everywhere else? Do you keep shopping at the same grocery store when it becomes so crowded it's a negative experience?

Matt_Black

Note I said "isn't as common" and does the manager take the offender aside and reward them for their behavior?

Do you find the public demeanor in the grocery store to be more agitated than everywhere else? Do you keep shopping at the same grocery store when it becomes so crowded it's a negative experience?

That's not even fair to ask those questions, as my local convenience store or grocery store doesn't see NEAR the amount of visitors that the Disney Parks do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's not even fair to ask those questions, as my local convenience store or grocery store doesn't see NEAR the amount of visitors that the Disney Parks do.

Sorry, these problems are not simply about a small percentage that shows up due to volume. This is about people attitudes in general and how entities respond to them. Walk into your local McDonalds and spit at the person behind the counter.. and see if you get a free happy meal for your trouble?

Funny... at our gymnastics meets they make announcements at the start of the meet 'NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY' and the majority of people listen.. and the few instances where someone doesn't... they make an announcement and/or confront the individual. They don't just IGNORE IT like Disney **CHOOSES** to do.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
To be honest, I can't think of any reason that I wouldn't keep this discourse friendly. I no longer have a horse in this race. I do, however, feel that because of the schools "mission" the rights of parents and students are being trampled on. Do I know what you folks are trying to do? Yes, very much so, but, the threats and consequences to the child are way to harsh considering that they have no real say in what their parents will ultimately do.

It's not the fact that it should be very clear that their missing time can and probably will cause a lessening of success in their school work, might even cause them to be held back or not graduate due to not meeting the standards, it's more that instead of spelling that out, the immediate reaction is we are going to punish your children in a non-repairable way because you are going against us. If a parent takes their child out for a couple of days are they any further behind then if they had been sick for a couple of days? That doesn't carry any super punishment other then what I spelled out of added need to make up what was missed in order to get back on track. I understand why, I just do not agree with the way it is handled. And is the real threat of failure equal in every child? Does an honor student not have a better chance of maintaining the standard then say someone that is just barely hanging on? I realize that there is no easy answer to this problem, but, in my mind the current school systems need to find a better way to discourage parents from scheduling trips during the school year other then severe threats against the individual that has the least say in their own destiny at that point in time.

I agree for the most part... Late last year my son (17) was caught with his iPhone at school, they are "allowed in school" but heavily restricted by teachers only in that the administration turns a blind eye to their existence. A student in my sons 1st block class was using theirs during class and rather than punishing the offending student the teacher emailed security and requested a scan of the classroom resulting in about 15 students being "caught" with them at which point they confiscate them (5 days minimum hold) and the student must report to 0 block (breakfast club) for 5 days. Now, my sons phone was off as in turned off which was the general acceptable way to keep your phone on your person during school hours but he was still forced to do the 5 days early detention while a student caught cheating on a test faces a one day early morning and a chance to retake the test!

216bruce

I do see this kind of behavior at other public entertainment venues, i.e. pro sports facilities, and yes, management does throw folks out if they get out of hand, swear a blue-streak at folks, throw stuff, etc. Before every game there is an announcement as to what is and isn't expected of 'fans'. If they violate it, they get chucked- no money back and some get prosecuted, depending on the offense. The key is that the company (team) tells folks that and backs it up. It's sad that it has come to that in society, but it has. There's really no reason for Disney to not do the same, other than they choose not too. If at some point it works to their advantage to do it, they will I'm sure. In fact they do now, but it's not as common or as visible. Also, our locally owned theater chain will ask you to leave if you text, call, etc. on your phone during a movie as it interrupts the "experience of others". I say Bravo to both. Sadly, adults that act like children should get the same thing- consequences for their actions.
Now, both the ballpark, arena and movie theater cater to families who pay a stupid amount of money, act entitled because they did so and, mercifully, are out the door when they break the rules. Moral of the story- don't break the rules and act like the town fool. Personally, I'd love to see Disney do the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom