Not so magical

FutureCEO

Hello,

We are just at the end of our holiday in Orlando and fly home tomorrow, this is our 4th time and I just thought I'd post some thoughts.

In 2008 it was fantastic and a really magical experience, it felt like all CM were trying their hardest to please and provide a magical experience. The parks weren't too crowded.

Again, in 2010 I'd mirror the above comments.

In 2012 I came away thinking that Disney had properly started chasing the money and maximising their profits - I guess this should be expected but it shouldn't be so blatant and obvious.

On to this years trip...

It has basically left me thinking that I'm going to leave it for a good few years before returning. Some of it is not the fault of Disney - they can't do anything about rude South Americans (picked on them because they were so noticeably rude).

They could do lots to improve the experience and make it feel magical though :

*Assess the capacity limit and seriously consider reducing it - customer experience is as important as profit, right?

*Ban selfie sticks and iPads from the parks.

*Ban adults from putting kids on their shoulders during shows.

*Ensure they employ happy CM - I saw so many miserable ones that lacked any enthusiasm, maybe they need to provide better pay or benefits for them. They're a huge part of the experience and it genuinely makes a difference.

*Invest in the parks and attractions. I lost count how many times rides broke down and how many times we saw things that needed a lick of paint or a makeover.

*As a company, don't be so greedy and remember what made Disney great in the first place.

*Ban mobility scooters unless there's a genuine disability or ailment that requires one. I lost count of the amount I saw that were basically just fat. Yes I know they might have a medical condition but let's be honest, they probably haven't.

*Provide better and clearer organisation during key events such as parades and shows.

*With the current expansions going on make sure they're worthwhile and seriously consider some good changes at HS and Epcot - might take some heat away from MK.

*Ban people that dawdle or just randomly stop while walking which in turn causes issues.

That's it for now....

Obviously it becomes a bit less magical each time you visit anyway but these are my thoughts anyway!

I haven't read the whole thread yet, just this post. But I'm sure Disney thinks that people will come anyway. The majority of people who go to Disney don't care. Prices are higher because people go. The amount of people in the parks are crazy sometimes like last week and this week. I'm sure if I was a CM, I would be crabby too.

I have never seen a selfie stick. Never heard of them until a week ago on here. Ipads and other tablets are annoying. Too many fat people and hence the scooter use. But people that randomly stop is my biggest pet peeve.

raven

I know I'm being extreme, but its to illustrate that for a company like Disney who is trying to promote WDW as a worldwide destination, there is sometimes the uncomfortable reality of the unruly behavior. I hesitate to blame Disney, companies and destinations all over the world have this issue all the time.

Well the company I work for takes care of those complaints and stops the offenders from doing what they are doing. Disney seems to just try and smooth the rough edges by offering FastPasses or other compensation to guests rather than actually tackling the real the issue. This message this send is "those guests can do whatever they want."

There needs to be more accountability from Disney Guest Service Managers and Security in the area of guest rudeness. If someone's vacation is being disrupted by another guest, they need to step in and stop it.

All the rules in the world will not stop stupid from happening.

Quote of the day! :)

Tom

Beta Return
Yes, there is available space in each of the other parks. The problem, even if that space was utilized, would be getting people out of MK to those new spaces. Everyone that comes to WDW will wind up in the MK because that is the park that is the best known, has all the classic characters and icons and basically is the most child friendly and entertaining of all the parks. TDO needs to figure out how to build spaces and attractions in the other parks that parents and children will want to see. Maybe that means creating some sort of "mini-MK" at Hollywood Studios. Until you give people an alternative to the most popular place on earth, those overcrowded conditions will just continue to get worse by the year.

Agreed - they need to improve the other three parks so that all demographics are just as excited to visit them as they are the MK. They're thinking they've done this by putting Frozen in Epcot and DHS, but these are bandaids. They really need to revive the parks and garner the interest of children and families.

I once paid attention while I was walking a straight line and a lady proceeded to run directly into me with her loaded stroller. Had there not been a child inside of the stroller I would have conducted punt practice that day. And this past September, we were exiting the Haunted Mansion when a lady in an ECV ran clean into the back of my wife and over her left foot. She didn't even say sorry and actually acted as if my wive dove into her path like some kind of kamikaze.

I realize that they might be difficult to maneuver, especially in a crowded environment, but that's really up to the user to get a handle on. I do agree that it's not always the fault of the ECV users, especially after I've witnessed many people just wandering into the paths of one without even noticing. That drives me crazy, as I'm sure the ECV driver is already having a tough enough time of it.

I've done the same thing. I will make a conscious effort to follow a straight path (i.e. following a saw joint in the concrete), on the right side of the "road", and see how many other people can't handle the very natural, and standard practice, of pedestrian traffic rules.

If I'm headed into a group of people that's weaving or on their "left" side, I'll just maintain course, even if that means breaking them up. And if it means some shoulders collide, so be it. If they don't like it, they too could have chosen to alter their path. Very frustrating.

As for ECVs, I firmly believe that there should be required training in order to use them. In the world of "employment", OSHA requires that every person who operates any tool, equipment or vehicle be fully trained on them. From drills to forklifts. Why aren't there similar rules for things like golf carts (require a drivers license), or ECVs (require them to take a driving test when they get their handicap parking permit)? Heaven forbid we offend them by making sure they don't put others in danger. ECVs are dangerous - there's no arguing that. For both the user and those around them.

I'm waiting for the day when someone actually runs me over with one. If I'm in a good mood, they'll be lucky enough to just find their key thrown into the nearest body of water. If I'm in a bad mood, and they hurt me or someone in my family, there's no telling what I'll do. And I'm not traditionally a violent person.

DisneyMusician2

Well the company I work for takes care of those complaints and stops the offenders from doing what they are doing. Disney seems to just try and smooth the rough edges by offering FastPasses or other compensation to guests rather than actually tackling the real the issue. This message this send is "those guests can do whatever they want."

There needs to be more accountability from Disney Guest Service Managers and Security in the area of guest rudeness. If someone's vacation is being disrupted by another guest, they need to step in and stop it.

I'd love it to stop, but the last time Disney tried to stop people from taking advantage of a system, they've been hit with 8 million discrimination lawsuits. It really has become a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation.

Disvillain63

Agreed - they need to improve the other three parks so that all demographics are just as excited to visit them as they are the MK. They're thinking they've done this by putting Frozen in Epcot and DHS, but these are bandaids. They really need to revive the parks and garner the interest of children and families.

I've done the same thing. I will make a conscious effort to follow a straight path (i.e. following a saw joint in the concrete), on the right side of the "road", and see how many other people can't handle the very natural, and standard practice, of pedestrian traffic rules.

If I'm headed into a group of people that's weaving or on their "left" side, I'll just maintain course, even if that means breaking them up. And if it means some shoulders collide, so be it. If they don't like it, they too could have chosen to alter their path. Very frustrating.

As for ECVs, I firmly believe that there should be required training in order to use them. In the world of "employment", OSHA requires that every person who operates any tool, equipment or vehicle be fully trained on them. From drills to forklifts. Why aren't there similar rules for things like golf carts (require a drivers license), or ECVs (require them to take a driving test when they get their handicap parking permit)? Heaven forbid we offend them by making sure they don't put others in danger. ECVs are dangerous - there's no arguing that. For both the user and those around them.

I'm waiting for the day when someone actually runs me over with one. If I'm in a good mood, they'll be lucky enough to just find their key thrown into the nearest body of water. If I'm in a bad mood, and they hurt me or someone in my family, there's no telling what I'll do. And I'm not traditionally a violent person.
My DH works for a company as a tractor trailer driver. He can drive their delivery vehicles and tractor trailers, but he is not allowed to drive the company golf cart on property since he has not gone through training

Arthur Wellesley

And this past September, we were exiting the Haunted Mansion when a lady in an ECV ran clean into the back of my wife and over her left foot. She didn't even say sorry and actually acted as if my wive dove into her path like some kind of kamikaze.
Glad I wasn't in your shoes when that happened. The ECV rider would've gone for a swim in Rivers Of America, and I would probably be banned from WDW for life, if not facing prison time.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
People visiting the parks need levity, all guests including those with strollers wheelchairs and ECVs. Traffic patterns in MK especially are tough to navigate when the parks are busy, very tough for those using chairs & strollers but guests walking cause as many issues by simply not paying attention to where they are going.

On more than one occasion we have been physically stopped when trains of people walk in front of, and at times trip over my wife's leg supports. This happens repeatedly every trip and most of the time the guests act indignant about it, some are dragging their children across even when the children are trying to stop. IMO it is a simple case of people are just not used to seeing many people in chairs or the volume of strollers so they don't make the necessary corrections to their walking behaviors.

On the other side, when having to suddenly stop because a group of walking guests j. Front of us stops, I have have been hit repeatedly by ECVs, not that I think it was ever intentional though. I have been rammed with strollers though much more often and more so in larger crowd situations.

All in all, in guests would take an extra minute to relax and simply pay attention most of these could stop. ECV drivers should take the time to learn the vehicle before they drive it in heavy crowds for safety, everyone's. Guests who need to stop should move over to the side and not stop in the middle of the path, this causes a lot if backups and rear ends with wheelchairs, ECVs and strollers.

Goofyernmost

Glad I wasn't in your shoes when that happened. The ECV rider would've gone for a swim in Rivers Of America, and I would probably be banned from WDW for life, if not facing prison time.
Well, that amazing amount of "give um what for" will solve one problem anyway. You probably won't have to worry about getting hit by one at Disney ever again. So I guess that would fix that!:joyfull:

DABIGCHEEZ

I haven't read the 6 pages of posts yet, just the OPs originalpost...

If you have seen that change(decline) in 6 years... imagine the level of change(decline) those of us that have been going since the late 70's or 80's have seen! And therefore our disappointment.

rob0519

I once paid attention while I was walking a straight line and a lady proceeded to run directly into me with her loaded stroller. Had there not been a child inside of the stroller I would have conducted punt practice that day. And this past September, we were exiting the Haunted Mansion when a lady in an ECV ran clean into the back of my wife and over her left foot. She didn't even say sorry and actually acted as if my wive dove into her path like some kind of kamikaze.

I realize that they might be difficult to maneuver, especially in a crowded environment, but that's really up to the user to get a handle on. I do agree that it's not always the fault of the ECV users, especially after I've witnessed many people just wandering into the paths of one without even noticing. That drives me crazy, as I'm sure the ECV driver is already having a tough enough time of it.

Thankfully neither I nor a family member has ever been more than tapped by someone in a ECV. I'm not an attorney, so I was wondering what would an individual's options be if say, they were hit by an ECV and cut or injured sufficiently as to cause the person to incur medical expenses and in an extreme case, time off work?

Will Disney Security help you fill out some type of report that includes the name and address of the person in the ECV? If it is a vehicle rented from Disney can you hold the corporation responsible? If not, would you have to file a civil suit against the driver? With so many ECVs and more huge crowds at some point it's bound happen if it hasn't already.

jensenrick

I think DISNEY can and should do something about the tour groups, Brazilians particularly. I work at Epcot and MK in 1998-1999 and it was the same complaints then as there is now...obviously Disney didn't do anything except take their money! They ARE RUDE & OBNOXIOUS, they have no respect for other guests. Maybe DISNEY needs to send a message and tell them they will be asked to leave if they don't start curtailing their shinanigans .

Next time I see an obnoxious group, I'll shout "Curtail your shenanigans!" :hilarious:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If only I could find a way to have the parks to myself and front of the line passes, without guests standing in line who fart and pick their nose while cutting in front of me and being rude and stuff.

Only then would I experience the Disney magic.

I really should ask them for a refund...as this is NOT what their commercial sells.

I suppose I'll sue them for false advertising.

draybook

If only I could find a way to have the parks to myself and front of the line passes, without guests standing in line who fart and pick their nose while cutting in front of me and being rude and stuff.

I really should ask them for a refund...as this is NOT what their commercial sells.

Well, given by the commercial that shows the family being given the red carpet treatment to the Mine Train, you might have a case.

Arthur Wellesley

Well, given by the commercial that shows the family being given the red carpet treatment to the Mine Train, you might have a case.

Remember folks, when Avatarland opens, you will have the entire area to just yourself & your family.

Matt_Black

Next time I see an obnoxious group, I'll shout "Curtail your shenanigans!" :hilarious:

That reminds me of an anecdote John Lithgow shared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien years ago about how he lost his temper at an angry guy on the subway- "Why can't you be more pleasant?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom