Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Not the whole pavilion. From what I understand there will still be the bakery, the princess dining, and the Norwegian merchandise store. The only thing Frozen is taking over is the old Maelstrom ride. And the expansion pad next door...
The merchandise store has Frozen merchandise in it now, and that will only increase once the ride/M&G open. Same for the bakery, and the restaurant is a shell of its former self where Norweigan cuisine is concerned. Same for the Stave Church, which has been taken over by Frozen as well....

DisneyRoy

So you agree with me and your saying thats why you love Disney, because theyre not always focused on bigger or faster.....but the other day you said,.....

I dont follow your logic there. Also, I dont see how the Frozen ride will be any "bigger, better, faster, or more" in any way. How exactly are they "giving the people what they want", with the exception of giving Frozen fans an attraction? And please dont get me wrong, I dont hate Frozen in the slightest, it was a cute movie and Im glad those who love it are getting an attraction. But for all their love, devotion and hard earned money theyve spent on Frozen, Disney is rewarding them with an attraction that will be small, short and most importantly, a capacity NIGHTMARE. At the same time, theyve managed to achieve the total abandonment of proper fluidity and cohesiveness which was extremely important to the designers who went to painstaking measures to assure that Epcot had its own identity and was not in any way a clone of the Magic Kingdom, which in turn allowed the entire Walt Disney World property to grow and become something bigger than just rides and parades.

Frozen has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that some people are upset over the loss of originality and a larger concept that was at play. A subtle yet powerful distinction that allowed for a deeper experience. You and many others though, continue to confuse that with the simplistic idea that we are simply "pining over old attractions" and are "stuck in the 80s"

I do agree with you that I love Disney for that reason. I also agree that that's not what the general population wants. I never included myself in that population. So yes...Disney will give them what they want. In this case...it's more about the "more" than the bigger better or faster since they are just adding and not replacing. But I also agree with you about the capacity issue. I think nightmare is putting it lightly. It really should be FastPass only to start. I don't see any other way around the 6 hour lines that will ensue if they don't. I can see people's argument about the "fluidity and cohesiveness" of the park. But I think it's short-sighted of people to think that it would stay that way for 30 years. Things change one way or the other and it was bound to lose that anyways. And I do enjoy the World Showcase for what it is. I also don't mind if things change depending on what the change is. Like the movies. I've watched the movies in the countries, and if they went away...I'd be fine with that, but I hate to hear the uproar that comment I just made is going to get. I think people are holding on to too much and hoping that nothing ever changes from when they fell in love with the park. And I understand that. I just don't see that happening and am willing to accept whatever happens and just move on and enjoy what comes.

DisneyRoy

The merchandise store has Frozen merchandise in it now, and that will only increase once the ride/M&G open. Same for the bakery, and the restaurant is a shell of its former self where Norweigan cuisine is concerned. Same for the Stave Church, which has been taken over by Frozen as well....

I agree that there is some merchandise. It would be silly to NOT put it in there. But there is PLENTY of other stuff in that store. And from what I remember, that part of the store was little kids toys already anyways. So no great loss. Just replaced with another selection of toys. I didn't get a chance to go in the church my last visit so I can't comment on that. But the bakery had not changed at all last I saw. I don't see how that would change? Does it still sell the school bread and awesome ham/apple sandwich? If so, then it's the same food. From what I can tell, the menu at the dining hall hasn't changed much either. I just looked and there are still plenty of foods on there that I cannot even pronounce. So I still standby my comment that the takeover of the whole pavilion that people are crying about is overstated.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree that there is some merchandise. It would be silly to NOT put it in there. But there is PLENTY of other stuff in that store. And from what I remember, that part of the store was little kids toys already anyways. So no great loss. Just replaced with another selection of toys. I didn't get a chance to go in the church my last visit so I can't comment on that. But the bakery had not changed at all last I saw. I don't see how that would change? Does it still sell the school bread and awesome ham/apple sandwich? If so, then it's the same food. From what I can tell, the menu at the dining hall hasn't changed much either. I just looked and there are still plenty of foods on there that I cannot even pronounce. So I still standby my comment that the takeover of the whole pavilion that people are crying about is overstated.
How it would change? TWDC is spending tens of millions to bring bring about the replacing of Norway with Arendelle. Do you honestly think that they won't cull the expensive Norweigan merchandise for Frozen foods, with a lower price but higher profit margin? Or inundate the bakery with Olaf cupcakes or the like? WDW is a business, after all....

DisneyRoy

How it would change? TWDC is spending tens of millions to bring bring about the replacing of Norway with Arendelle. Do you honestly think that they won't cull the expensive Norweigan merchandise for Frozen foods, with a lower price but higher profit margin? Or inundate the bakery with Olaf cupcakes or the like? WDW is a business, after all....

Sure. Throw some cupcakes in there. Who cares. Is the "meat and potatoes" of the menu the same? That's all that really matters.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sure. Throw some cupcakes in there. Who cares. Is the "meat and potatoes" of the menu the same? That's all that really matters.
So if one or two "meat and potatoes" items remains, then the pavilion is intact in terms of Norway?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It really should be FastPass only to start. I don't see any other way around the 6 hour lines that will ensue if they don't.
They could have simply put what will most definitely be a high demand attraction in a more appropriate area that would allow for higher traffic.

I think people are holding on to too much and hoping that nothing ever changes from when they fell in love with the park. And I understand that. I just don't see that happening and am willing to accept whatever happens and just move on and enjoy what comes.
Im all for change in the parks. Ive seen plenty of things change in the 25+ years I have been visiting. Ive been visiting nearly every year and multiple times per year since 1989. You are still confusing peoples respect for Epcots unique identity with a "holding on to the past" mentality. You could not be more wrong. I dont mind that Maelstrom is gone either. Id rather the Norway pavilion not have a ride if it meant keeping the fantasy aspect from dominating it.

I get it..., you want more rides. Nothing wrong with that. Im not against more rides either, just put them where they belong, not in the easiest and cheapest area you can cram them into.

jensenrick

Folks, we've veered off the topic this thread was made for and exactly on the topic it was NOT made for. From post 1:

Just placing this here in the event that Steve gets frisky and chooses to follow through and delete anything.

Thank you! Hopefully @wdwmagic gets frisky sooner rather than later.

There's multiple whole threads already for this stuff. This is the construction thread.

lazyboy97o

"Meat and potatoes" meaning the bulk of the menu. Which according to the WDW website...it has.
The only thing without Frozen is the Princess Character Meal. How is that a bulk still being about Norway? There is not a single venue within the Norway Pavilion solely about Norway.

aladdin2007

The only thing without Frozen is the Princess Character Meal. How is that a bulk still being about Norway? There is not a single venue within the Norway Pavilion solely about Norway.

elsa's eatery is rumored to be on the horizon, whether that means something added or a takeover of akershus I dont know, but I would imagine the latter.

jt04

I see the same people who were wrong about the AC and Pandora and DTD are also now wrong about Frozen.

Hoping for an overlay of the boat ride in Mexico. :geek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom