Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfx

Comparison of Disney Projects:
  • Star Tours (September 2010) to Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (May 2011) - 8 Months
  • Test Track (April 2012) to Test Track 2.0 (December 2012) - 8 Months
  • El Rio Del Tiempo (January 2007) to Gran Fiesta Tour (April 2007) - 3 Months
  • Alien Encounter (October 2003) to Stitch’s Great Escape (November 2004) - 13 Months
  • Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play it (August 2006) to Toy Story Mania (May 2008) 1 Year, 9 Months

And although I think Disney ridiculously draws things out because they are cheap...in this case, @marni1971 can correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that building needs an IASW (gosh, wasn't that down nearly a year when they did it?) style gutting - sound systems, environmental systems, etc. All those years in the dark and dank don't do well for infrastructure. I'm presuming that they haven't had some of those systems replaced in the 25+ years since it was built.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And although I think Disney ridiculously draws things out because they are cheap...in this case, @marni1971 can correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that building needs an IASW (gosh, wasn't that down nearly a year when they did it?) style gutting - sound systems, environmental systems, etc. All those years in the dark and dank don't do well for infrastructure. I'm presuming that they haven't had some of those systems replaced in the 25+ years since it was built.
Probably, but I'm not sure how bad it really is. Didn't it get an extensive refurb like 3 years ago or something?

AEfx

Probably, but I'm not sure how bad it really is. Didn't it get an extensive refurb like 3 years ago or something?

I don't remember, that's why I tagged Martin - very well could be. I just remembered the last time I was on it (which probably was about four years ago, 2011) it seemed to be especially dank and the sound was pretty bad.

And thanks for the GB vids. :) I had seen most of them but the first one I hadn't before, and was pretty good - I remember being in the theater but I really don't remember a single thing from it, which is surprising since I have a pretty good memory (OK, I'm known for having an excellent memory - my friends play party games with it). I don't remember the Stay Puff Marshmallow man at all. Totally escapes me.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't remember, that's why I tagged Martin - very well could be. I just remembered the last time I was on it (which probably was about four years ago, 2011) it seemed to be especially dank and the sound was pretty bad.

And thanks for the GB vids. :) I had seen most of them but the first one I hadn't before, and was pretty good - I remember being in the theater but I really don't remember a single thing from it, which is surprising since I have a pretty good memory (OK, I'm known for having an excellent memory - my friends play party games with it). I don't remember the Stay Puff Marshmallow man at all. Totally escapes me.
Yeah, Martin will know for sure, but a quick google search shows they did some major cosmetic work on it in 2013 (which was probably what I was thinking of). I don't know if they drained and cleaned the ride when they did that...

RSoxNo1

Dumbo pagers. You are allowed to leave the shop when your pager goes off, and you can enter the final section. While you're waiting, feel free to give us all your money. The more you spend, maybe the sooner your pager goes off.:devilish:
I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if they give you pagers for this. Especially if the waits are always 2 hours+

Flippin'Flounder

Kyle on June 9th, 2015 at 5:51 pm
Sigh… I’ve gotten over the whole Frozen in WS thing, but I’m never going to be able to ride this work of art because of the capacity issue. 900 per hour? Really? Pirates has 3200 per hour and has 30-45 minute waits, and this is Frozen. FP+ won’t work either, because I don’t plan to stay up till midnight to get it, supposing I do pay the outrageous prices for a Disney hotel room. Oh well…

That got through...now I'm upset. I posted a comment that didn't get posted

"What a wonderful idea to use Disney's most successful IP in years, on a ride that has capacity similar to Peter Pan. And you thought the waits and Fastpass availability at 7DMT were bad."

Is it because I used the word bad? I started it with "what a wonderful idea."
Hah, that was mine :p

Brad Bishop

They were fully capable of bringing us the same land here, we have the space at MK and DHS, and we aren't short on the Money either. The only reason it didn't happen was because this was very much a decision made to save money by closing one old ride down and adding a ride to Epcot that had no business being there. I LOVE/ADORE frozen, it's one of my favorite new revival films. But I know full well that what is happening now is a mistake.I would gladly wait a little longer for an attraction if it meant they would do it right. Because what we have right now is just their half assed attempt at Frozen. What we could have had was something so much better.

They're not even adding a ride. It's just a retread. Looks like it'll be the same boats and track, but instead of Nordic gods, Vikings, polar bears, puffins, trolls, a large oil derrick, and a nice little seaside port, it'll be Frozen.

My guess is that there was a meeting and something like this went down:
Guy 1: Frozen is super popular! We need to capitalize on this. Any ideas?
Guy 2: Well, we could have a meet and...
Guy 1: OF COURSE WE'LL HAVE A MEET AND GREET!!!
Guy 3: Just as a head's up.. Maelstrom needs to be refurbished soon.. Let's not forget to talk about that before..
Guy 1: PERFECT! We'll refurbish Maelstrom, rip out everything to do with Norway, put in a bunch of Frozen characters. Badda-bing, badda-boom! A whole new attraction! Put a meet and greet right next to it and the kids will eat it up! Costs will be in check because we're reusing and refurbishing (already in the budget!) AT THE SAME TIME!!

It'll probably be a different experience for kids who may have passed by Norway in the past and skipped it because they didn't know what it was or weren't interested. To them it'll be a new experience, so that's good. They're probably young enough to be spoon fed anything and think it's awesome.

The rest of us are going think, "Oh, this is just Maelstrom but with Frozen characters. Instead of a fierce polar bear while I'm traveling backwards I now see Olaf."

I really wish that they wouldn't retread rides. It's rare that it works out. Buzz Lightyear worked out OK, I supposed. Probably the best of the retreads. Still feels a bit like a retread to me, though. With retreads there's typically little thought, little imagination, and little budget. It's mostly, "Stick some characters in there and have them sing and dance."

I've give Nemo one compliment, even though I think the entire rest of the ride is just a miserable retread with what doesn't even appear to be much of a story, the character projections inside the water is really cool and works really well.

Brad Bishop

The comments on the blog just won the internet.

Wow. I'm surprised they allowed those comments up. I've commented before and been critical and they wouldn't post it.

The last one I did was when they were talking about the upcoming (then) SDMT and the new animated faces. I said something to the effect of, "It's a really great effect but you need to stay on top of it. Buzz, over in Space Ranger Spin, is out of focus and pretty dusty, now. The effect is ruined. It's been like that for a few years. It was amazing when I first saw it, though."

That was too critical to post. I stopped bothering with the Disney Blog after that. It seemed like what they were looking for were comments like:
- Oh, it's so magical!
- I can feel the magic!
- Magicalicious!
- I can't wait to go. Magic.

Last edited:

Phineas

Wow, its actually nice to see people in the comments of the blog fighting back. hahaha

I personally feel Disney is way oversaturating frozen. In time, people will be saying "why were we so crazy over that?"
I know others have said this, but I fear they're going to do with Frozen what they did with Stitch. He was everywhere, up to and including on merchandise, where he shared space with "The Fab Four".
And remember when they TP'd Cinderella Castle and blamed Stitch?
Ohhh that scamp.
:cyclops:

Frozen is not a bad movie. When I first saw it, I knew it would take off, and was happy that Disney finally had a bonafide hit on their hands, tonally similar, but not as well-crafted as those films part of the Disney Renaissance.

(My major issue with Frozen was the horrendous, nails-on-a-chalkboard song "Fixer Upper" that comes waaaay out of left field, but that's neither here nor there.)

Sure, right now I'm over Frozen-but give me 5 years to recharge, and I'll give it another watch.

But oh my gosh. Too much of a "good" thing can be disastrous. And from the looks of things, they're doing it in a fairly cheap, uninspired way. And the destruction of any attempt to teach us about the actual culture of Norway will never sit well with me. Or never hearing "Disappear! DISAPPEAR!" ever again. That one hurts.

I really hope this doesn't end up being Epcot's Stitch's Great Escape. Hyperbole, maybe-but we'll see.

Pirouline

Wow. I'm surprised they allowed those comments up. I've commented before and been critical and they wouldn't post it.

The last one I did was when they were talking about the upcoming (then) SDMT and the new animated faces. I said something to the effect of, "It's a really great effect but you need to stay on top of it. Buzz, over in Space Ranger Spin, is out of focus and pretty dusty, now. The effect is ruined. It's been like that for a few years. It was amazing when I first saw it, though."

That was too critical to post. I stopped nothing with the Disney Blog after that. It seemed like what they were looking for were comments like:
- Oh, it's so magical!
- I can feel the magic!
- Magicalicious!
- I can't wait to go. Magic.
I bet the person moderating the comments on that post also hates it.

Bocabear

Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom last Saturday...7DMT still had a 50 minute wait at 1:30 am. and I don't think that was accurate either as the Queue was completely full and the line went out onto the sidewalk and down the side of the attraction...at 1:30am... They have GOT to do something bout capacity in these parks!!

BaconPancakes

I don't think the main issue is that this attraction is based on Frozen, I think the problem is that it's an extremely cheap overlay that's going to utilize screens only and will have zero story.

Phineas

Jillian on June 9th, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Enough with Frozen already. I come to Disney World to see Disney, not just Frozen. Everywhere you go now it’s all about Frozen. The whole summer party and castle show in MK, there was a whole ice skating rink in HS, now you’re tearing down a tribute to a beautiful country to shove more Frozen in there. I think AK is the only one that’s safe anymore. Stop. With. Frozen.
Well, until Papa Smurf and the gang set up shop, that is.

Mawg

When this opens and the waits for the ride hits 4 hrs and the M&G 5 hrs, Disney will be all over the media as this is such a huge success with waits as long as Harry Potter.

They'll be able to ride this success and justify other much wanted changes, like more M&G's, more cartoons and kid rides in WS and more and more Frozen attractions.

DisneyGentleman

Jillian on June 9th, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Enough with Frozen already. I come to Disney World to see Disney, not just Frozen. Everywhere you go now it’s all about Frozen. The whole summer party and castle show in MK, there was a whole ice skating rink in HS, now you’re tearing down a tribute to a beautiful country to shove more Frozen in there. I think AK is the only one that’s safe anymore. Stop. With. Frozen.

Just wait for it:

Inspired by the spirit of Frozen....
Kilimanjaro Safaris on Ice!

Starring Anna and Elsa and their skating tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom