No Tortuga Restaurant After All?

darthjohnny

Original Poster
From Screamscape:

A Screamscape source tells us that the budget may have been killed for the proposed pirate themed Tortuga restaurant concept near the entrance of Adventureland. They say that it was decided that the budget for this project could be better used is divided up to update all the existing food locations in the Magic Kingdom which are also in need of help. I’m not sure if this means the concept is dead or just delayed until the next year’s budget when they will try again. Can else able to confirm or correct this?

What do you guys think? Anyone hear any news about this?

PhilharMagician

This restaurant really needs to open. MK is seeing record crowds and the restaurants are booked weeks if not months in advance. On a busy day in the MK even the CS restaurants need fast pass to get into. MK is the absolute worst park when it comes to restaurants. I hope whoever made that descision gets their head out of their . If this rumor is true of course.:D

Craig & Lisa

I think that if the budget is divided between all the other places in MK they could be more efficient, take care of more people, in and out faster. Just basically clean up the places.

Shere_Khan

This restaurant really needs to open. MK is seeing record crowds and the restaurants are booked weeks if not months in advance. On a busy day in the MK even the CS restaurants need fast pass to get into. MK is the absolute worst park when it comes to restaurants. I hope whoever made that descision gets their head out of their . If this rumor is true of course.:D

I agree, this restaurant was one thing I was really excited about.

lunarsquid

While i'm sure it would be nice, i'm also sure they would end up making it a character meal, and it therefore make it impossible a practical place to eat at during the day when you want something and don't want to spend a fortune, or two of your table-service meals.

I agree that the MK needs more food options, but if they added a few counter places and actually had them all open all of the time, instead of seasonly, it would help a lot.

Figment1986

If they worked on that resturant... perhaps they could have also opened another counter service or at least snack in the diamond horseshoe since dont they share the same kitchen area?

Enigma

Account Suspended
I'm happy either way. If it doesnt come true thats 1 less movie tie-in in the park and the money can be used to help improve the current LACKING food venues in the Magic Kingdom.

Epcot82Guy

I sadly have to agree. Although, I think there are some other concepts that could work as well. I still love the idea of reinstating the original Tiki Room concept into the Verandah as a counter-service restaurant and show (although I realize that is a huge pipe dream).

I think utilizing its original decor in some way would be helpful since it would reduce the budget and certainly lends itself to a variety of show options. Note the reference didn't say the Verandah wouldn't open; it just said no Tortuga.

Magicot

I personally love the romantic charm of the south seas conveyed through the Adventureland entrance, Aloha Isle, Swiss Family Treehouse, Sunshine Tree Terrace, and Tiki Room (for the most part). The arcitechure of the Veranda is really a mix of Caribbean, Chinese, African and Polynesian all at the same time. So on one side, this restaurant could really blend in with any tropical theme but on the other, I think I'd like to see a Pirates restaurant in the Carribean Plaza rather than the generally Polynesian Veranda. I think they could easily convert the often closed El Pirata quick service into a full-blown table service pirate themed restaurant. It would be a huge success and there's plenty of space for dining there. In addition, if the demand for quick service was still there for Adventureland (with El Piata now closed) your simple answer is the Veranda! It's the first thing you see when you enter the land. I can just imagine the smells of grilled terryaki and pineapple luring people in from the streets. Mmmm.:slurp: Just an idea of course.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
I personally love the romantic charm of the south seas conveyed through the Adventureland entrance, Aloha Isle, Swiss Family Treehouse, Sunshine Tree Terrace, and Tiki Room (for the most part). The arcitechure of the Veranda is really a mix of Caribbean, Chinese, African and Polynesian all at the same time. So on one side, this restaurant could really blend in with any tropical theme but on the other, I think I'd like to see a Pirates restaurant in the Carribean Plaza rather than the generally Polynesian Veranda. I think they could easily convert the often closed El Pirata quick service into a full-blown table service pirate themed restaurant. It would be a huge success and there's plenty of space for dining there. In addition, if the demand for quick service was still there for Adventureland (with El Piata now closed) your simple answer is the Veranda! It's the first thing you see when you enter the land. I can just imagine the smells of grilled terryaki and pineapple luring people in from the streets. Mmmm.:slurp: Just an idea of course.

I always thought it made sense in El Pirata y El Perico too, especially since it's right across from the ride. That's why I never understood why the rumor was about putting it in a place that was far away from the ride. :shrug:

As for the Verandah restaurant, how big is it? Do you guys think that Tortuga would be a counter service or a full table service restaurant?

Rosso11

I hope this isn't true. From what I was told it sounded really amazing. I was the one who first broke the news on this almost a year ago. At the time everyone at Disney was really excited about this and everyone was fully behind it with alot of money being pumped into this project. The budget was quickly growing but I am afraid that if it was killed this was the reason. The budget probably balooned out of a control. During the spring it was decided to delay it untill 2008. Unfortunaly since then my source of information decided to leave the company. So I havn't heard anything since. I still have some other people I can try to call, I'll see what I can dig up. I hope it is still a go.

Rosso11

As for the Verandah restaurant, how big is it? Do you guys think that Tortuga would be a counter service or a full table service restaurant?

The verenda is a big space which is the reason it was chosen for the location. It was suppose to be a full table service restaurant. Essentially they wanted this to be the boy version of the royal table restaurant.

culturenthrills

Well, the lines would not be as bad at the CS restaurants if they would open all the registers but I rarely see this done. The dining plan also doesn't help. I am glad they aren't going to build it. It would have made no sense in that spot. If they are going to build a Pirates restaurant then build it next to Pirates not in a place in Adventureland that makes no sense thematically.

culturenthrills

While i'm sure it would be nice, i'm also sure they would end up making it a character meal, and it therefore make it impossible a practical place to eat at during the day when you want something and don't want to spend a fortune, or two of your table-service meals.

I agree that the MK needs more food options, but if they added a few counter places and actually had them all open all of the time, instead of seasonly, it would help a lot.

They do need better food options. Tomorrowland Terrace has pretty much sat there unused for awhile now. The noodle station obviously did not work. Maybe they should try some food court type of approach. Something needs to be done about the CS offerings in MK cause except for a few things it sucks. I would love if they had something that had the same quality of food as Seasons in the Land at Epcot.

PoTCGuy

The verenda is a big space which is the reason it was chosen for the location. It was suppose to be a full table service restaurant. Essentially they wanted this to be the boy version of the royal table restaurant.

I think a tropical themed sit-down restaurant would be great in that location. It would be even better, IMO, if it was a non-dining plan, non-character meal, same-day-only ADR restaurant (yes, I know, not very likely). This would provide an option for spur-of-the moment guests as an alternative to quick service. Not being one who likes to plan my meal schedule six months in advance and not being a fan of character meals, I've given up on eating a sit-down meal at MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom