No Tortuga Restaurant After All?

daverube

Although I agree that the MK needs a little more restaurant variety, I'm not sure it needs more restaurants. From the comments I've read here lately, it seems like they need to put more work into revamping Tony's than anything else.

As for the Adventureland Veranda, I can't remember if it was a table service or counter service restaurant. I did find this site (unsure whether I can post it, so I'll understand if it gets removed)http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/advv.htm that shows a pic of the tables and gives a description, though.

Does anyone recall??? Anyway, I'm not sure if the space is large enough for a true table service restaurant.

my 2 cents....

dave

jmuboy

I agree that the Tony's menu could use a refresh. In addition, if the Tortuga restaurant is canceled, why not add a nice table service location with less of a specific (ie - pirate) theme. The restaurant, just by its location, has great atmosphere. Maybe a surf and turf menu with an Asian flare could work?

I agree food service at the MK is woefully inadequate compare to the other 3 WDW parks (then again MK is below par on a lot of levels though).

PhilharMagician

Well, the lines would not be as bad at the CS restaurants if they would open all the registers but I rarely see this done. The dining plan also doesn't help. I am glad they aren't going to build it. It would have made no sense in that spot. If they are going to build a Pirates restaurant then build it next to Pirates not in a place in Adventureland that makes no sense thematically.

I don't really care about the pirate theming. MK just needs more restaurants. I'd even be happy with a bunch of hula dancers dancing through the Verandah Restaurant. :D

They do need better food options. Tomorrowland Terrace has pretty much sat there unused for awhile now. The noodle station obviously did not work. Maybe they should try some food court type of approach. Something needs to be done about the CS offerings in MK cause except for a few things it sucks. I would love if they had something that had the same quality of food as Seasons in the Land at Epcot.

The problem with the Noodle Station is it's hidden. We eat there everytime we see it is open just because nobody else is there and they have differant food. Stand in Tomorrrowland where the Terrace walkway come out and listen to people walking by asking where the walkway goes. Many guests to the MK will never even know about the terrace. Maybe if the map would mark the restaurant better. This is one thing that has always bugged me about WDW. The park maps seem to control the life of an attraction or restaurant. Space mountain does not need to be marked everyone can see it and it has probably the largest ride counts in the park , but COP which has problems with low guest numbers is barly marked and always threated with the chopping block. Come on marketing wake up.

Rant over. :animwink:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Well THAT'S not what I wanted to hear. :(

Did you happen to get any reason as to why? Budget? Logistics? Some combination of both?

Yep the Screamscape info is matching up with what I have been told. Basically the cost to do what they want is way above what they think represents good value, and the money is better spent elsewhere in the MK. It hasnt been totally ruled out though, it just isnt in the near timeframe as it once was.

Epcot82Guy

I don't really care about the pirate theming. MK just needs more restaurants. I'd even be happy with a bunch of hula dancers dancing through the Verandah Restaurant. :D

The problem with the Noodle Station is it's hidden. We eat there everytime we see it is open just because nobody else is there and they have differant food. Stand in Tomorrrowland where the Terrace walkway come out and listen to people walking by asking where the walkway goes. Many guests to the MK will never even know about the terrace. Maybe if the map would mark the restaurant better. This is one thing that has always bugged me about WDW. The park maps seem to control the life of an attraction or restaurant. Space mountain does not need to be marked everyone can see it and it has probably the largest ride counts in the park , but COP which has problems with low guest numbers is barly marked and always threated with the chopping block. Come on marketing wake up.

You make a good point. While quality and offerings do dictate to some degree, placement and advertising are a huge part of it. People don't go looking; you have to make it blatantly obvious for the general public. That's just a truism for marketing. Unless there is a major draw or major visual appeal, people miss things. That is basically the Odyssey of MK (although I certainly hope that is not the fate of that space). I think there could have been some well-themed additions to pull people in more because both walkways are fairly hidden (the MS one for obvious reasons, the TL one for physical reasons). We'll see what happens, I guess.

shoppingnut

MK needs another sit down restaurant. It also needs to actually open the CS that they already have to help overcrowding and bring variety which is woefully lacking. Tony's needs more than a rehab, it needs someone to go in there and show them how to actually cook italian food.

culturenthrills

It is funny you say that about people not realizing what it is. Back in the day when they used to serve pizza that place was always busy. I don't know if people today are lazy or just stupid to not notice that place. Of course mgmt. seems to rarely open the place anymore. I think if they were to turn it into a food court type of place, with quality food, it might attract more business. Yes, MK should be spending money revamping there current food offerings cause they do pale in comparison to the other parks(even though I think DAK's offerings suck now that Tusker House has been turned into a buffet, hopefully the CS side of Yak and Yeti will be good.)

nibblesandbits

I actually really agree. Since I work with people everyday, I know how much they "miss" unless you absolutely explain it too them...full out. Otherwise, they simply don't "get it." (And sometimes, even after you explain it, they still don't get what you just told them).

Same thing goes for Disney and some of it's lesser known attractions. COP is a wonderful example of this. I think a huge reason people don't go to it is b/c they never know if it's open. On the website, it was listed as "seasonal" for so long...even now that it's not, we still get people on here who ask, is COP even open. If even die-hard Disney fans have to ask...you can bet that the average guest has no clue about it. Especially since it's not on a single park map or talked about ever.

Same went for the Terrace Noodle station. Despite the fact that it sold unique food, the general public didn't really know it existed. You can't visit what you don't know is there. And if Disney doesn't plug these things, no wonder they die a slow and agonizing death.

Epcot82Guy said:
People don't go looking; you have to make it blatantly obvious for the general public.

For once, (I think it's like the first time :lol: ) I actually totally agree with you on this.

marine1

i posted in another thread about the number 1 pasta dish that the italian restraunts need to make different versions of fettecunie. hey maybe make a serve yourself bar with noodles and different toppings.

PhilharMagician

The quality of the food was not bad at the Noodle Station. The chicken noodle bowl was hot, ful of white meat chicken, veggies and tasted very good. The Pad Thai was pretty good, actually it was very good compairing it to standard theme park food, but has been off of the menu for 2 years. Maybe the point is that the Asian flare food should have been over at the Veranda in the first place where it would be seen and would better fit in.

mrerk

Premium Member
Tony's needs more than a rehab, it needs someone to go in there and show them how to actually cook italian food.

i posted in another thread about the number 1 pasta dish that the italian restraunts need to make different versions of fettecunie. hey maybe make a serve yourself bar with noodles and different toppings.

Disney is definately lacking in the Italian food dept. If we can't get in at Alfredo's/Tutto Italia we will usually go offsite for a pasta fix. Still miss the Pasta Piazza.

culturenthrills

Last time I ate at Tony's was back in the 90's. I had an amazing chicken breast with spaghetti. The chicken melted in your mouth and the sauce was amazing. But I have not heard anyone talk about how good the food is there in years.

Bluewaves

The last time I ate at Tony's was horrible the sauce tasted like ketchup with water and boiled for an hour and it was just bad the server was good. Food was well lets see here sub par at best, but truely horrible.

frank2271

Very disappointed to hear Tortuga has been canceled. My wife and I have often wondered why WDW didn't have a "Blue Bayou" or some other FS restaurant in or around pirates. MK definitely needs more FS restaurants, two weeks ago we went there around 10 am and there was a sign set up in front of the Town Hall stating that all the FS restaurants are full. That's during a slow day. It was so slow that on main street there was still plenty of curb seating for the parade, that doesn't happen too much.

Hopefully the WDW executives will rethink their decision.

Frank

darthjohnny

Original Poster
From Screamscape today:

Park News - (10/26/07) Screamscape sources tell us that the Tortuga restaurant concept is far from death, it’s just been delayed for a variety of reasons beyond their control.

Things may be looking good for this project! :)

darthjohnny

Original Poster
If it is true that they are going through with it and the reason it was pushed back was because of budgetary reasons, one would assume that they have relatively big plans for this restaurant that would require quite a bit of money. :)

disneypearl

If it is true that they are going through with it and the reason it was pushed back was because of budgetary reasons, one would assume that they have relatively big plans for this restaurant that would require quite a bit of money. :)

One can only hope! This restaurant would no doubt be a huge success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom