No steam trains at MK today no word why

articos

See above.
Wow. That has not been communicated out west yet. Thanks.

Do you know what has changed recently to make The Lilly Belle toast? Even a new boiler would still be much more feasible than replacing an entire loco. Please do not think I'm questioning your info or saying it's inaccurate, it's just somewhat surprising, especially given all the time and money they've already put into the refurbishment. I'm just very interested to hear more.

Barring a boiler explosion, I can't think of anything else that couldn't be fixed or replaced. The last info on The Lilly Belle I received, which was admittedly secondhand and at least two months old by now, was that Strasburg was about to begin work on the new boiler. If you can't share any more info to protect your source, I understand. Like I said, I'm just very interested.
Correct, the new boiler was underway, and they were working on her frame & smoke box. I'm curious too what it is they found.

Tim_4

Wow. That has not been communicated out west yet. Thanks.

Correct, the new boiler was underway, and they were working on her frame & smoke box. I'm curious too what it is they found.
I believe the decision was made roughly a month ago. I don't know the details and I'm not sure if it's 100% drop-dead definite but I know the rehab was at least tentatively abandoned. I hear these things as they come to me but I can't really do any digging so hopefully someone with more intimate knowledge can confirm and elaborate.

The Empress Lilly

This was accurate until recently. The Lilly Belle is toast. There will be a new No. 2. Not sure if it will be renamed or if they'll try to pass it off as the same old Lilly Belle.
Both the Empress Lilly and the Lilly Belle are gone now. :(

It is not on that a resort named in honour of Walt should no longer honour his beloved wife. The question "what would Walt do?" is asked too often. However, on this subject, for once I would like to assume I can guess the answer.

Something in Walt Disney World needs to be named after Lillian. Something befitting. An elegant paddlewheel boat or authentic steamtrain (Walt loved both, especially the latter) were great. Alas, in the current WDW climate, what would possibly be build that could in all decency be named after Lilly? A Pixar ride? Cartoon bathrooms? WDW simply does not do elegance and sophistication anymore, these concepts belong to previous WDW era as much as steamboats and steamtrains belonged to an era before WDW.

The Empress Lilly

You left out benches.
Yes. Maybe we'll soon have The Lilly Bench. :)

In the Reclaimed Fantasyland, with a view towards the more important Disney legends who plastered references to themselves all over FL, such as the painting of Phil Holmes and the Igerbock and StaggsAle beer barrels.

nytimez

Yes. Maybe we'll soon have The Lilly Bench. :)

In the Reclaimed Fantasyland, with a view towards the more important Disney legends who plastered references to themselves all over FL, such as the painting of Phil Holmes and the Igerbock and Staggsbrew beer barrels.

I envision it in a private boutique section of the park that you'll have to pay an extra $99 to enter ($89 for children) to get to wait in line to sit on the bench and enjoy brownie bites and tiny pecan pies.

DJMoore2011

Took the Steam Train tour a couple weeks ago....Lilly Belle is being rebuilt, but have no fear, she will return. At that point, one of the remaining three may go through the same process, although they didn't say which one. BTW, the tour was great!

PS Just a little extra info
No. 1 is the Walter E Disney
No. 2 is the Lilly Belle
No.3 is the Roger E Broggie
No.4 is the Roy O Disney

Steam train tour?!! So have to put that on my list pf to-do at WDW

Lord Pheonix

fortunatly, tim, and with respect of course, your info is wrong. the resto may be halted, but there is no way she would ever be scraped in favor of a new engine. since there are no steam loco manufacturers anymore, its obviously cheaper, albeit more time-consuming, to restore then to replace. there really isnt a thing on any engine that cant be replaced, its just a matter of how much time and money one will spend on it. since its an original walt disney aquired engine, theres no doubt it will be rebuilt.

on a side note, steamtown in scranton is a larger shop, strasburg has in the past sent them engines to restore, and due to the limited number of steam shops left, they do take on other engines to rebuild, altho they would be few and far between. there was a UP 4000 series sitting on the viaduct in scranton for years when i was a kid, 4014 is also finally being restored by the UP steam shops, currently the largest and only mainline company steam shop in the country. cant wait to see that rolling under its own power again.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I believe the decision was made roughly a month ago. I don't know the details and I'm not sure if it's 100% drop-dead definite but I know the rehab was at least tentatively abandoned. I hear these things as they come to me but I can't really do any digging so hopefully someone with more intimate knowledge can confirm and elaborate.

Probably the first victim of the MM+ Budget cuts for attractions that have been discussed extensively in another thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom