No steam trains at MK today no word why

wdw71fan

Trains were up and running yesterday.... Rode one myself...

Meanwhile, yes the Lilly is at Strasburg.. Has been for quite some time... She'll return soon (relatively) and be back along side the family, don't worry! Those guys at Strasburg are second to none!

Lilly is supposed to be fit for full duty when she returns.. No more 'opening show only' duty for her !

Tonka's Skipper

Trains were up and running yesterday.... Rode one myself...

Meanwhile, yes the Lilly is at Strasburg.. Has been for quite some time... She'll return soon (relatively) and be back along side the family, don't worry! Those guys at Strasburg are second to none!

Lilly is supposed to be fit for full duty when she returns.. No more 'opening show only' duty for her !

Now the question.......

Would they run her down on her own steam, flatbed rail or truck with a extended, high capacity trailer?

I would love to meet her under steam for pics!

AKK

mikeymouse

Might be worth the 3-4 hour drive to see it in Strasburg, if you could see it. Strasburg is really cool, but I was hoping for a longer excursion.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I can't believe that I'm excited to ride the trains at WDW.

For that matter, I get excited for the trains at Kennywood... until they recently wrecked them with all those billboards instead of scenery.

Anyhow. I haven't been to Strasburg in a long, long time. Considering how close it is (a few hours, maybe?) from me, I really have no excuse not to go.

Does anyone know if they have the trains currently being worked on out in view of guests? I'd love for some LB photos!

Rinx

I love Steam town, but I was told they only did work on their own engines, cars and equipment? I maybe wrong!

I know Strasburg does market their shop big time!

AKK

I believe you are right about Steamtown. It is a National Park and is run by the National Park Service/Government and receives government funding so I don't believe they do outside work.

articos

Probably not by steam because the rail gauge is narrow at WDW.
Right. They trucked her up on flatbed (truck, not rail), they'll put her on a truck back.

For those who are rail buffs, if you find yourself at Disneyland, ask first thing in the morning at the Main St. Station if they're doing tender rides. Little known add-on to the DL RR, on Engines 1 & 2 (the engines built for the park), Walt requested a seat be built so he or guests could ride up front and talk to the engineer and fireman. You have to patient, as they don't do tender rides all the time, and they have strict rules that prohibit guests from riding the tender seat if they need to top off the water tank or blow down the boiler, and you have to be willing to do the full circuit - you can only board or disembark at Main Street. But if you like railroads, it's a really neat experience. Unfortunately, the repurposed engines, including 3, 4 & 5 at DL, and all of the WDW locomotives do not have the jump seat built in, so no tender rides in FL.

Timekeeper

No trains? :eek:

Solution? People mover!

homepage_large.26dc99f0.jpg

mikeymouse

Official word from Strasburg is basically "no comment" when asked about the Lilly Belle, which is understandable.

"Thanks for your interest in Strasburg Rail Road's Mechanical Shop and our work. For a majority of the Rail Road's contract work we are under strict confidentially agreements, therefore, we cannot discuss most of our projects. Thanks again for you interest."

articos

Official word from Strasburg is basically "no comment" when asked about the Lilly Belle, which is understandable.

"Thanks for your interest in Strasburg Rail Road's Mechanical Shop and our work. For a majority of the Rail Road's contract work we are under strict confidentially agreements, therefore, we cannot discuss most of our projects. Thanks again for you interest."
She's getting there. Slowly, but surely.

Tim_4

Took the Steam Train tour a couple weeks ago....Lilly Belle is being rebuilt, but have no fear, she will return. At that point, one of the remaining three may go through the same process, although they didn't say which one. BTW, the tour was great!

PS Just a little extra info
No. 1 is the Walter E Disney
No. 2 is the Lilly Belle
No.3 is the Roger E Broggie
No.4 is the Roy O Disney
This was accurate until recently. The Lilly Belle is toast. There will be a new No. 2. Not sure if it will be renamed or if they'll try to pass it off as the same old Lilly Belle. There was a lot of money spent on the rehab before they decided replacement was more feasible than fixing all that was wrong.

CDavid

This was accurate until recently. The Lilly Belle is toast. There will be a new No. 2. Not sure if it will be renamed or if they'll try to pass it off as the same old Lilly Belle. There was a lot of money spent on the rehab before they decided replacement was more feasible than fixing all that was wrong.

Then was is to become of the original Lilly Belle? The locomotive should not just be scrapped; It should go to a railroad museum with narrow-gauge equipment, even if just a static display.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

Do you know what has changed recently to make The Lilly Belle toast? Even a new boiler would still be much more feasible than replacing an entire loco. Please do not think I'm questioning your info or saying it's inaccurate, it's just somewhat surprising, especially given all the time and money they've already put into the refurbishment. I'm just very interested to hear more.

Barring a boiler explosion, I can't think of anything else that couldn't be fixed or replaced. The last info on The Lilly Belle I received, which was admittedly secondhand and at least two months old by now, was that Strasburg was about to begin work on the new boiler. If you can't share any more info to protect your source, I understand. Like I said, I'm just very interested.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom