Trip Report No parks, no problem! - Completed

Hello everyone!

It's been quite the spring season. Our normal lives have been disrupted, but we are hanging in there as best we can.

What's happening with us:
  • We've been working from home since mid-March. We're slowly returning to work.
  • Our daughter graduated high school and participated in a drive-thru graduation ceremony.
  • Our April and September cruises were cancelled.
  • We did alright with our toilet paper supply. Two squares per person.
We have many trips planned, starting in September (fingers-crossed) with Disneyland. We extended our trip when our September cruise out of Vancouver was cancelled. We can't travel in July and August, so our only option before the fall is June. Yes, this June.

Let's get down to business (and defeat...the Huns!):

Who: Myself and @lostpro9het
20191020_165116_2.jpg

What: A resort-only stay
Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village
When: June 25 - 29, 2020
Why: WE NEED A VACATION, that's why

We've been following the Disney developments for a while. We saw a unique opportunity to use our points for a resort-only stay. We've been throwing around the idea of this type of stay, but never acted on it. We're ok with the parks not being open and dining being limited.

A lot of thought went into this trip. We're flying, so I had to change our flight to MCO. We needed a car because I'm not sure 100% about DME (it was offered when I called DVC, but not taking that chance), so I rented from National (we like the ability to just go pick out our car without visiting the counter) and we plan to pick up our beverages and snacks on the way. We discussed the pros/cons of DVC resorts. We had originally booked for Beach Club Villas to use Stormalong Bay, but reports indicated only DVC pools will be open. I had to call DVC to change the reservation and the wait times are long. Kidani has one of the best DVC pools. Also, according to the list of cast members recalled, the pool at Kidani will be open, but with no bar service, hence the grocery store side trip.

We have one dining reservation so far, Homecomin', and I'm waiting for resort dining to open up for reservations. We will try to eat at Il Mulino as well if open.

So here we are, a DVC resort-only stay, no parks, and limited dining. I'm super-excited!

Last edited:

RememberWhen

So we've had some experience walking around with masks in this weather. We are pretty tolerant of heat, but this was miserable. If you hate the heat, wearing the mask makes it so much worse.
Good to know. We were supposed to be there in July for the first time in ages, but moved our trip to December. I’m hoping that they are still requiring masks and restricting capacity at that point. I wouldn’t mind lower than “usual late-December crowds”.

MissViv

So we've had some experience walking around with masks in this weather. We are pretty tolerant of heat, but this was miserable. If you hate the heat, wearing the mask makes it so much worse.

I can imagine. We are in TN and just leaving Wal-Mart and feeling the heat from the payment in the parking lot is unbearable. I would not be able to wear a mask full-time in the parks during the really HOT weather.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
This morning we took a 2-mile jog around Wilderness Lodge. As you've seen from the previous posts, we ran into some wildlife. We also saw somenfrogs and the requisite lizards. The jog is nice and you can't beat the scenery.

We made out way to the pool to enjoy coffee and breakfast. We were pretty much the only ones here for a while. The DVC is very nice. I think it's better than the feature pool. There are restrooms and a shower.

We made our way to Disney Springs around 10. The orange garage was the only one open. Parked on the 2nd level and followed the signs to temperature check. We passed inspection!

Made our way in and first order of business was dtech to replace daughter's pbone case. The co-op was a nightmare. So many CMs running around and no one knew what to do.
2fbe4a9ae0989b249bf2c0c404efc8a6.jpg

We were finally paid for phone case and masks. You have to go to the photo pass entrance to queue up for masks. It was efficient, but get there early if there's a style you want.

Afterward, we looked around. We went into the Disney store. It was nice and not crowded. Before lunch, I also bought some pins. I'll post them later. It's BOGO 2020 dated pins.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
We finally made our way to Polite Pig. Not crowded and order came up fast.

We ordered the butcher board for 2. It's a ton of food. You need to be hungry to finish. Everything was really good, but the chicken was a bit dry. One of the sides was burnt end chili. I really liked it and it would be great on a chilly day.
20200626_111518.jpg

The servers provide your drinks and sauces.

After filling our stomachs, we headed back to the resort and have been at the pool ever since. We have dining reservations at Homecomin at 6:10.

Songbird76

I saw the governor of Florida shut down all bars in the state. Are you still able to get beer there, or has this affected your trip?

lostpro9het

I saw the governor of Florida shut down all bars in the state. Are you still able to get beer there, or has this affected your trip?
Yes, we’re still good.
C90B1A63-2881-462A-8A4A-F0E02870B214.jpeg

Rule is if more than 50% of your sales is alcohol then you cant serve folks. Some gray areas of togo sales mixed in but for the most part restaurants with bars are fine, bars that sell some snacks, not so much.

We’re sitting in front of Geyser Point Bar/Lounge right now and they are still open.

Mainahman

Yes, we’re still good.
View attachment 479665

Rule is if more than 50% of your sales is alcohol then you cant serve folks. Some gray areas of togo sales mixed in but for the most part restaurants with bars are fine, bars that sell some snacks, not so much.

We’re sitting in front of Geyser Point Bar/Lounge right now and they are still open.
So I'd say it's safe to assume the pool bars are not effected. Real life problem....I need a Pina colava or something after a long car drive.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Dinner at Homecomin' was excellent as usual. One of these days we are going to share a meal because it's a lot of food.

Sean can comment on what he had. I had fried chicken and donuts. It's almost half of a chicken with 2 small donuts and mashed potatoes. I threw in the towel about halfway through.

20200626_183303.jpg

I did not win the clean plate award.

The restaurant was hopping, but we got right in at our reservation time. There was no mobile check in. We did mobile check in at Sanaa and it worked perfectly. I hope Disney keeps this system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom