Trip Report No parks, no problem! - Completed

Hello everyone!

It's been quite the spring season. Our normal lives have been disrupted, but we are hanging in there as best we can.

What's happening with us:
  • We've been working from home since mid-March. We're slowly returning to work.
  • Our daughter graduated high school and participated in a drive-thru graduation ceremony.
  • Our April and September cruises were cancelled.
  • We did alright with our toilet paper supply. Two squares per person.
We have many trips planned, starting in September (fingers-crossed) with Disneyland. We extended our trip when our September cruise out of Vancouver was cancelled. We can't travel in July and August, so our only option before the fall is June. Yes, this June.

Let's get down to business (and defeat...the Huns!):

Who: Myself and @lostpro9het
20191020_165116_2.jpg

What: A resort-only stay
Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village
When: June 25 - 29, 2020
Why: WE NEED A VACATION, that's why

We've been following the Disney developments for a while. We saw a unique opportunity to use our points for a resort-only stay. We've been throwing around the idea of this type of stay, but never acted on it. We're ok with the parks not being open and dining being limited.

A lot of thought went into this trip. We're flying, so I had to change our flight to MCO. We needed a car because I'm not sure 100% about DME (it was offered when I called DVC, but not taking that chance), so I rented from National (we like the ability to just go pick out our car without visiting the counter) and we plan to pick up our beverages and snacks on the way. We discussed the pros/cons of DVC resorts. We had originally booked for Beach Club Villas to use Stormalong Bay, but reports indicated only DVC pools will be open. I had to call DVC to change the reservation and the wait times are long. Kidani has one of the best DVC pools. Also, according to the list of cast members recalled, the pool at Kidani will be open, but with no bar service, hence the grocery store side trip.

We have one dining reservation so far, Homecomin', and I'm waiting for resort dining to open up for reservations. We will try to eat at Il Mulino as well if open.

So here we are, a DVC resort-only stay, no parks, and limited dining. I'm super-excited!

Last edited:

Songbird76

Dinner at Homecomin' was excellent as usual. One of these days we are going to share a meal because it's a lot of food.

Sean can comment on what he had. I had fried chicken and donuts. It's almost half of a chicken with 2 small donuts and mashed potatoes. I threw in the towel about halfway through.

View attachment 479666
I did not win the clean plate award.

The restaurant was hopping, but we got right in at our reservation time. There was no mobile check in. We did mobile check in at Sanaa and it worked perfectly. I hope Disney keeps this system.
I have a question about the mobile check in, actually. I read that you check in via the app and they text you when your table is ready. Do you have to give them your phone number to text you, or is it sent via a notification in the app? If it's an actual text to your phone number, can you opt to check in at a desk and wait? When we were there last summer, we had issues with them letting us know when our table was ready. Being from overseas, it costs an absorbitent amount to accept calls or receive texts, and we had tried to get temporary SIM cards for the US, but they didn't work, so we could not use our phone numbers for anything. We just had to stay right by the podium and wait until they called our name. The one place they gave us a buzzer was at 'Ohana and we sat there and waited and waited for it to buzz and it never did. When I finally went and asked them how much longer it would be, they told me our table had been ready for quite some time. If they keep the mobile check in system, they need to have an alternative for people who don't have smart phones (yes, I know people who do not have smart phones) or who are from foreign countries and have no access to an American phone number.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I have a question about the mobile check in, actually. I read that you check in via the app and they text you when your table is ready. Do you have to give them your phone number to text you, or is it sent via a notification in the app? If it's an actual text to your phone number, can you opt to check in at a desk and wait? When we were there last summer, we had issues with them letting us know when our table was ready. Being from overseas, it costs an absorbitent amount to accept calls or receive texts, and we had tried to get temporary SIM cards for the US, but they didn't work, so we could not use our phone numbers for anything. We just had to stay right by the podium and wait until they called our name. The one place they gave us a buzzer was at 'Ohana and we sat there and waited and waited for it to buzz and it never did. When I finally went and asked them how much longer it would be, they told me our table had been ready for quite some time. If they keep the mobile check in system, they need to have an alternative for people who don't have smart phones (yes, I know people who do not have smart phones) or who are from foreign countries and have no access to an American phone number.

They used the phone number I entered when I made the reservation. I believe, but don't quote me, there may have been another opportunity to add me number during the check in process. I didn't see it as an app notification, although that would be a good idea.

I believe you can still check in at the podium. People were still walking up to check in, but I didn't hear any of the usual calling out of names when a table was ready. However, that doesn't mean that wasn't happening. I'm certain they an alternative way to handle if needed.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
The quiet pool is really nice. There are 6 cabanas with padded seating and some have reclining loungers. These are first come, first served and at least one or two have always been empty. I've noticed that there are really no shaded areas at these pools unless you have an umbrella or cabana.

20200627_070944.jpg
20200627_070956.jpg
20200627_071050.jpg
20200627_071107.jpg
20200627_071114.jpg

Songbird76

They used the phone number I entered when I made the reservation. I believe, but don't quote me, there may have been another opportunity to add me number during the check in process. I didn't see it as an app notification, although that would be a good idea.

I believe you can still check in at the podium. People were still walking up to check in, but I didn't hear any of the usual calling out of names when a table was ready. However, that doesn't mean that wasn't happening. I'm certain they an alternative way to handle if needed.
Well it's kind of a moot point right now for our family since we live in the Schengen area of Europe and flights aren't allowed between the US and this area. But if Disney keeps the current mobile check-in system after those travel restrictions are eased, they will need an alternative for those who can't use that system.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Well it's kind of a moot point right now for our family since we live in the Schengen area of Europe and flights aren't allowed between the US and this area. But if Disney keeps the current mobile check-in system after those travel restrictions are eased, they will need an alternative for those who can't use that system.

It is quite annoying that it is only North American cell phones that are accepted (why can’t it be easier to get a prepaid SIM card in the US like you can in the rest of the world?!). I have always suspected this is because they never set the system up to use the + and country code, and just use the area code and number, because honestly a client as large as WDW could negotiate to have international texting as part of their telecom service contract at a minimal price. I think all of us with international phones need to get a bit more vocal about this, otherwise they will never change it.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I agree with @Loco_driver ~ not used to seeing the larger Beaches and Cream and wondering if it has the same charm?

Also was disappointed to see that the fries are no longer the thicker steak fries they used to serve. :arghh:

I'm going to say sorta on the charm. Two CMs were manning the tables and it seems top brass was overseeing. I enjoyed it, and the main meal was good, but nothing to rave about. We visited for the dessert, which was excellent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom