No one likes clowns...

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
Yes, another Fantasyland expansion thread.

Sorry guys, for postin' another one, but I'm just not diggin' the "Storybook Circusland." I'm not ungrateful, and I get it, but I just don't like it. When I was a kid, the whole Clown/Circus element in Dumbo, always freaked me out, just as the Indian scenes in Peter Pan did. Am I the only one who feels this way? I've always assumed that the public's view on Clowns was similar to mine. I just think that this theme will give the entire area a weird ambience. Although the Heffalumps and Woozles freaked me out as well when I was young, but I'm fine with the scene in the attraction. I wasn't thrilled for Pixie Hollow, but I'd personally take that, over this.

Thoughts?

David S.

Sorry guys, for postin' another one, but I'm just not diggin' the "Storybook Circusland." I'm not ungrateful, and I get it, but I just don't like it. When I was a kid, the whole Clown/Circus element in Dumbo, always freaked me out, just as the Indian scenes in Peter Pan did. Am I the only one who feels this way? I've always assumed that the public's view on Clowns was similar to mine. I just think that this theme will give the entire area a weird ambience. Although the Heffalumps and Woozles freaked me out as well when I was young, but I'm fine with the scene in the attraction. I wasn't thrilled for Pixie Hollow, but I'd personally take that, over this.

Thoughts?

I'd have to agree about the clowns. I really enjoy circuses, but mainly for the animals and acrobatic stuff, and lively circus music. I've never really cared much for the clowns. Dumbo is my favorite of the 50 "Disney Animated Classics" and love the heart, songs, and score, but never cared for the clowns in that film, either. Of course, those clowns were essentially villains, as they were extremely cruel to Dumbo. So I'm glad the Barnstormer won't be getting the previously rumoured "clown overlay".

I would have loved for the "Storybook Circusland" to have more "meat" (ie, more attractions), especially since we are losing Toontown for it and only getting a net gain of one attraction in Fantasyland. A Casey Jr. Circus Train/Storybook Land Canal Boat combo like those found in Anaheim and Paris would have been great (and would fit both the "Storybook" and "Circusland" name). Or, since Circusland appears to be taking up a whole lot of space, maybe they could have made part of that land "Wonderland" and put in the Alice darkride or something.

trr1

Thoughts?
I can see why
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

AKL fan

Circus theme

Thoughts?

When I watch documentaries on television about circuses abusing animals it is a painful experience. I thought Dumbo was a very sad story about a baby elephant getting abused. Why would Disney want to be associated with it? When I was a child I hated the circus. The clowns scared me because of their hidden identity. The crows in Dumbo are said to have racist connections because they represent black people. The way they dressed scruffy and spoke. The leader crow was called Jim Crow. Jim Crow means African-Americans were relegated to the status of second class citizens. I don't think Fantasyland should have a new Dumbo big top attraction.

:veryconfuDoes anyone agree?

raven

Aren't clowns only 1 part of a circus? There are plenty of other circus elements and theaming that can be part of this area that don't have to involve clowns.

zooey

When I watch documentaries on television about circuses abusing animals it is a painful experience. I thought Dumbo was a very sad story about a baby elephant getting abused. Why would Disney want to be associated with it? When I was a child I hated the circus. The clowns scared me because of their hidden identity. The crows in Dumbo are said to have racist connections because they represent black people. The way they dressed scruffy and spoke. The leader crow was called Jim Crow. Jim Crow means African-Americans were relegated to the status of second class citizens. I don't think Fantasyland should have a new Dumbo big top attraction.

:veryconfuDoes anyone agree?

To be fair, Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South, a film Disney hasn't intentionally showed the public in 30 years. That film has just as many accusations (if not more so) of racism as Dumbo. Even in the more contemporary era, Scar is considered by some to be a racist depiction, because Scar is the darkest of the lions as well as being the villain. The list goes on and on and on. It isn't just Disney, either. Such material was considered typical by most. Remember, this is all before the civil rights movement.
So, anachronisms in the source material really don't matter when transferring a property to the parks. All that controversial stuff is cut.
As far as Circusland, don't forget that Walt loved the circus. I was just reading in a book about Disneyland that Walt had a great affinity for the circus, as did many original Imagineers. I don't think Circusland is ideal, but it has potential to be creepy, intriguing, and beautiful.

slappy magoo

In our politically correct climate, there seems to be three groups of people it's still OK to mock and malign - fat people, people dressed like mascots or cartoon characters (except on this forum of course)...and clowns.

One of my best friends is a professional circus clown and is one of the curators of a Clown Hall of Fame Museum. He works incredibly hard to write, choreograph and produce elaborate physical comedy routines; it's not all throwing buckets of confetti and making balloon animals for most of these guys who work in circuses for a living. He also does hospital visits, entertaining kids who want to be distracted. Or he'll just sit and watch TV or read or talk to kids who don't want to be entertained, or who could use a friend more than a distraction. Hell, he married his wife - an accountant who has nothing to do with the circus industry or clowning - before a Ringling Brothers show at Madison Square Garden, in the center ring. Fellow clowns were his ushers, all of them in their costumes. He was a clown college graduate, has made invaluable contacts, worked with legends like Bill Irwin. And nothing makes him angrier and sadder than people who make blanket "oh, I don't like clowns, they're creepy" statements. He's reached the point where he often doesn't use makeup; just elaborate costumes and wacky hair and a red nose. He works hard to read his audience when he's doing crowd interaction - he's there to make them happy, not to make himself an intrusion. He's good at loosening people up one-on-one, but he can only do so much of that in a day, a week, a year.

Look, some clowns suck, just like some cable installers suck, and some doctors need their malpractice insurance more than others. and some lawyers' win-loss ratio is nothing to brag about. Especially because so many people who can juggle or make a balloon animal set themselves up as birthday clowns or tour schools as "Flame-oh, the Fire Safety Clown," because they don't want a 9-to-5 job or want to make extra money on the weekend, and they have precious little skill interacting with a crowd, working with them and for them to be genuinely entertaining.

But to write off that entire art form of incredibly hard-working professionals - and to assume that the rest of the nation feels the same way - is flat-out asinine. The reason people think everyone hates clowns is, as I half-jokingly wrote above, clowns and mascots and fat people are easy butts of jokes. Movies and television shows have made plenty of jokes about a clown who is actually morose, or evil, or perverted. It's an easy laugh. Just as it's an easy laugh in a movie to punch an annoying person who is dressed like a team mascot in a stadium, or a cartoon character in a theme park, but when someone punches a Disney character, or accuses a Disney character pf punching them, these pages are filled with support for the CM in the costume, casting aspersions on the person throwing the punch or making the charge of assault. But clowns? Oh, they're creepy, all of them. No good comes from clowns. Write 'em off. Don't sully my precious Magic Kingdom with their presence.

I say, bring 'em on.

MKCP 1985

Disney's Fantasyland circus area will be very popular. Where is the supposed emphasis on clowns?

I see Dumbo first and foremost. Double Dumbos, with games to play while waiting for the 90 second spinner ride.

Then there is the water play area around the Casey Junior train.

Great Gooftini roller coaster, starring Goofy.

Again, if clowns are a big part of this portion of the expansion, it has eluded my attention.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From what I understand Walt was a big fan of the Circus and clowns in particular. According to Eddie Sotto many imagineers even attended clown college. To dislike the circus and clowns is to dislike the man himself and that is decidability un-American.:D

sam_eagle.jpg

MKCP 1985

What do you associate with a circus?

The question is "what do you associate with Disney's Fantasyland Expansion, specifically in Storybook Circusland?"

From what Disney has announced, there appears to be little reason for the original poster to be bashing this area based upon a generalized dislike or phobia against clowns.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The question is "what do you associate with Disney's Fantasyland Expansion, specifically in Storybook Circusland?"

From what Disney has announced, there appears to be little reason for the original poster to be bashing this area based upon a generalized dislike or phobia against clowns.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he's still upset over the fact the Princesses don't dress like his avatars?

Skipper Dan

Original Poster

From what Disney has announced, there appears to be little reason for the original poster to be bashing this area based upon a generalized dislike or phobia against clowns.

I don't have a phobia of 'em, I said that the Clown/Circus elements - pretty much meaning all the scenes involving - freaked me out and just gave me an overall, weird feelin' when I was young. I thought it was a strange direction to go into, with the design of a new land.

lebeau

If you don't like it, don't go. There will still be lots of other stuff to see. :shrug:

Personally, I'm looking forward to taking my daughters on Dumbo without the brutal wait.

powlessfamily4

Question - Are 100% there will be clowns?

Secondly, children probably wouldn't be terrified of clowns if they stigma of them was not presented by adults. I loved clowns as a child but admit to being a little put off from them now. As a child I was not subjected to movies like It or Killer Clowns (which I might ad was funny). Have you seen the postal commercial about the clown toy that has to go back? The whole family is freaked out by the toy. I am not so sure children are as frightened of clowns, as they are of the perception of clowns that we have given them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom