No more loose ice starting May 1

peter11435

So what’s the purpose of the rule? I can just shove a bunch of ice inside a giant ziploc and have no problem? Can’t I then make it loose inside the parks?
It’s to make security screening easier and safer.

Yes, you can put ice in ziploc bags and still bring it in the park.

There is no restriction on possessing loose ice once in the park. You can unbag your own, get cups full from restaurants, and encounter mountains of it in drink carts.

Brer Oswald

There is no restriction on possessing loose ice once in the park. You can unbag your own, get cups full from restaurants, and encounter mountains of it in drink carts.
But won’t they have to dig through the bag?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Don’t think loose ice is a problem? Think of the victims of when ice gets loose.
JackRoseDoor.jpg

Movielover

This problem is getting out of control, soon the high level of ice will be uncontrollable. Its obvious what we must do.

By next month all Ice in the resort will be replaced with paper based ice to alleviate the high levels of ice overflowing security. ;)

John park hopper

Take heed Mother Nature Disney has banned all below 32 degree weather in all the parks ---No ! No! No! Mother Nature no loose ice in the the parks.

JoeCamel

Now if they had something that could screen the ice and they could see that it was free of concealed objects.........

Lensman

I swear I’m really leaving this time.
Don't leave! This has turned out to be one of the least offensive "new policy" threads on the forum, despite the close call with insulin before we found out that ziploc bags of ice will be allowed.

My only complaint is that the phrase "loose ice" makes me feel uneasy for some reason. Lol

Chadder810

Nope, you cannot bring in ziplocked bags of ice either. My wife was beyond mad when security made her dump out her ice last Thursday at Magic Kingdom.

Janir

I figured out a Disneyesque solution.

Invent ice pack vending machines that function like the rechargeable battery vending machines. Put them in the hotels and the parks. They could be shaped like Mickey heads.

Solved.
That's not actually a 1/2 bad idea. If I had the money to patent, develop and sell machines to Disney that could be made to work. Blue ice packs are generally a alcohol/water with blue dye. Heck I've made my own out of used soda bottles.

Janir

Yes, it's about time.
Thank you for the post too!

For the life of me, I don't understand how it can be enjoyable to travel so heavily laden in WDW just to save a few bucks.
For some those few extra bucks means a difference. People scrimp and save for years to do a Disney Trip. They can't do a lot about tick prices, hotel costs they can try to downgrade to affordable, and use Disney transportation for everything but $4 a bottle of soda is a outsized extra cost they can control or snacks for the family they bring vs a paddle pop for 5 people. Those in park costs do add up for some people that means something to their personal financial situation, that doesn't mean as much or can just be absorbed into "Costs of a Disney Trip" for other people.

Janir

Interesting.

That goes against official comments from Disney on the matter. Possibly a misinformed security host.

Where are you getting those official comments? Anything online you can point us at? I would love to see it. Web and Disneyworld.com searches aren't coming up with anything that looks official on zip lock bags.

The Mom

Premium Member
Nope, you cannot bring in ziplocked bags of ice either. My wife was beyond mad when security made her dump out her ice last Thursday at Magic Kingdom.

Then someone made a mistake - even if ice in a small zip loc baggie will not be allowed, the rule doesn't go into effect until May 1. So someone jumped the gun, and she had every reason to be angry.

I stand corrected - the ICE rule changed on March 28, so security just overreacted - unfortunately, it may take a couple of weeks the clarify the rules.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Where are you getting those official comments? Anything online you can point us at? I would love to see it. Web and Disneyworld.com searches aren't coming up with anything that looks official on zip lock bags.
This is from the Mom's Panel; the question was answered by Lisa Mendillo, who is listed via Google Search as WDW's communications person:

Question if Ice is allowed in small bags why isn’t that stated in the post and on the websites under the new rules. Also why is the size of bag not clearly defined. Most people bringing in a cooler would most likely use gallon sized bags to put ice in would that be too big? I understand the need to check the contains of a cooler and that’s why the loose ice ban but technically isn’t a bag a container?

James on March 29, 2019 at 4:09 pm

• The new ice rule is meant to streamline the bag-check and entry processes. You can use something small like a sandwich or one-gallon freezer bag, but we do not recommend bringing anything larger than that, as you may now be asked to dump it prior to entry. Please know that, as always, we will work with guests to help make this a smooth transition for all.

Lisa Mendillo on April 1, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom