No more loose ice starting May 1

ImperfectPixie

Really, all they'd need to do to fix the issue is update the text on the rules page to be "for those who are local, we suggest bringing reusable ice packs. For those staying in our resorts, you may use resealable bags for ice from the vending machines."

nickys

Premium Member
Amazon Prime Now, Instacart all deliver...

What, a mini freezer to freeze said ice packs???

The point is these ice packs are great - if you have a freezer. If you don’t, there is no point in bringing them or having them delivered.

Ziplock bags are the way to go for onsite guests, unless you’re staying in a DVC villa (1-bed or larger). Or possibly the FW cabins?

Ice packs are the way to go for those staying offsite.

nickys

Premium Member
  1. The vast majority of Disney rooms have freezer compartments.
  2. The vast majority of park guests are not staying in a Disney hotel in the first place.
  3. The vast majority of guests don't need to travel with ice anyways.
You're getting all worked up over a small fraction of a small fraction of a small fraction of guests and even THOSE guests will be accommodated with free ice in their hotel and in the parks.

You're being silly.

Actually your first point is incorrect, the freezer compartments are not in the new fridges. So as these are replaced in room refurbished, the freezer compartments aren’t there. This is also the case in DVC studios too.

To be clear Disney have confirmed bags of ice are fine. So there is a way round it.

The point some people are now making is that for Disney to recommend ice packs when their rooms don’t actually have the facility to use them easily is a bit daft.

However since Splash is now sponsored by Ziplock, they could just have free ziplock bags in every room. Problem solved!

Jon81uk

How is that relevant? Walt Disney World is in Florida.

How was your previous comment about every hotel on the planet having an ice machine relevant then?

I thought the point was about guest expectations when they arrive at a hotel. As a Brit I had no expectation of a hotel having an ice machine or a freezer as neither is common over here.

CaptainAmerica

How was your previous comment about every hotel on the planet having an ice machine relevant then?
I was being flippant. "Every "x" in the world..." is a figure of speech.

I thought the point was about guest expectations when they arrive at a hotel. As a Brit I had no expectation of a hotel having an ice machine or a freezer as neither is common over here.
But the hotel DOES offer it, so your lack of expectation doesn't leave you worse off.

Being a Brit, you don't plan on your hotel offering ice, so you bring ice packs. Your hotel fridge doesn't have a freezer compartment, so you think there's a problem. Upon arriving at your US-based hotel, you learn that you do, in fact, have access to ice, so your perceived problem of nowhere to freeze your ice packs is mitigated because you have free access to an alternative source of keeping things cold.

ImperfectPixie

I was being flippant. "Every "x" in the world..." is a figure of speech.

But the hotel DOES offer it, so your lack of expectation doesn't leave you worse off.

Being a Brit, you don't plan on your hotel offering ice, so you bring ice packs. Your hotel fridge doesn't have a freezer compartment, so you think there's a problem. Upon arriving at your US-based hotel, you learn that you do, in fact, have access to ice, so your perceived problem of nowhere to freeze your ice packs is mitigated because you have free access to an alternative source of keeping things cold.
Okay, but what if they were trying to keep the number of checked bags to a minimum, and after buying souvenirs find that their checked bags exceed the weight limit because they brought useless ice packs?

I know I'm hitting hard on this, but it's a simple matter to update text on a web-page to make it clear to everyone. I don't give a hoot about the ice policy itself, just that Disney lacks the foresight to word their rules/exemptions pages well enough so that guests are properly informed.

CaptainAmerica

Okay, but what if they were trying to keep the number of checked bags to a minimum, and after buying souvenirs find that their checked bags exceed the weight limit because they brought useless ice packs?

I know I'm hitting hard on this, but it's a simple matter to update text on a web-page to make it clear to everyone. I don't give a hoot about the ice policy itself, just that Disney lacks the foresight to word their rules/exemptions pages well enough so that guests are properly informed.
Now this is REALLY getting ridiculous.

You're worried about:

International guests...
Who are ALSO diabetic...
Who are ALSO staying on property...
Who are ALSO staying in a room with no freezer...
Who have ALSO never been to a US hotel before...
Who ALSO have suitcases that are within a pound of their airline's weigh limit
Who ALSO don't bother to Google things that might be a medical necessity for them

There are probably three people a year who meet all of those criteria. And to be clear, the worst case scenario for those people is that they have to dispose of one or two ice packs at the airport, leaving them in the hole about $3. Give me a break.

ImperfectPixie

Now this is REALLY getting ridiculous.

You're worried about:

International guests...
Who are ALSO diabetic...
Who are ALSO staying on property...
Who are ALSO staying in a room with no freezer...
Who have ALSO never been to a US hotel before...
Who ALSO have suitcases that are within a pound of their airline's weigh limit
Who ALSO don't bother to Google things that might be a medical necessity for them

There are probably three people a year who meet all of those criteria. And to be clear, the worst case scenario for those people is that they have to dispose of one or two ice packs at the airport, leaving them in the hole about $3. Give me a break.
Yup. And it's a five minute fix on a web-page rather than leaving a percentage of people being annoyed.

CaptainAmerica

Normal human interaction:
Guest: I need to keep my insulin cold. I brought ice packs but my room doesn't have a freezer.
Cast member: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Complimentary ice can be found down the hall and in every QS restaurant.
Guest: Okay, thank you.

Crazy person interaction:
Guest: I need to keep my insulin cold. I brought ice packs but my room doesn't have a freezer.
Cast member: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Complimentary ice can be found down the hall and in every QS restaurant.
Guest:

LightheartedRichBoubou-small.gif

Jon81uk

If it was for food storage, not medical I would not assume any hotel had a freezer unless specifically asked, I am often surprised when there is a fridge (not a minibar) let alone one with freezing). I would not pack freeze packs without written assurance I could freeze them. My assumption is there are no ice or freezer facilities in any hotel room.

For medical or baby I would definitely be asking questions before booking at any hotel.

Jon81uk

Normal human interaction:
Guest: Okay, thank you.

Crazy person interaction:
Guest:

LightheartedRichBoubou-small.gif

If its a medical need the hotel should try to provide a freezer.

jklakeview

If it was for food storage, not medical I would not assume any hotel had a freezer unless specifically asked, I am often surprised when there is a fridge (not a minibar) let alone one with freezing). I would not pack freeze packs without written assurance I could freeze them. My assumption is there are no ice or freezer facilities in any hotel room.

For medical or baby I would definitely be asking questions before booking at any hotel.
I'm not sure if its the same but when I had a little one I would bring ice packs to the park. The rooms at POP didn't have a refrigerator unless requested for medical needs. We used to have to check our ice pack into the luggage area each night and they would hold it in a freezer for us. We would take it out from the luggage area each morning. It wasn't too bad. Is it still the same way?

nickys

Premium Member
I'm not sure if its the same but when I had a little one I would bring ice packs to the park. The rooms at POP didn't have a refrigerator unless requested for medical needs. We used to have to check our ice pack into the luggage area each night and they would hold it in a freezer for us. We would take it out from the luggage area each morning. It wasn't too bad. Is it still the same way?

See my reply just above, we double posted! Yes you can still do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom