No more loose ice starting May 1

ImperfectPixie

Locals are probably more inclined to bring freezer packs.
As an experienced Disney goer, I get that. But how many guests aren't aware that the in-room fridges don't have freezers and then see that Disney recommends bringing reusable ice packs? I'd be kind of upset after packing what amounts to useless weight in my luggage. In my opinion, too much of vacationing at Disney has become counter-intuitive, and they need to fix it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
As an experienced Disney goer, I get that. But how many guests aren't aware that the in-room fridges don't have freezers and then see that Disney recommends bringing reusable ice packs? I'd be kind of upset after packing what amounts to useless weight in my luggage. In my opinion, too much of vacationing at Disney has become counter-intuitive, and they need to fix it.

Amazon Prime Now, Instacart all deliver...

ImperfectPixie

But that's all the more reason to check these kinds of policies before you travel or book. My dad read every piece of literature he could find about rules and policies before our first family trip so he wouldn't be blindsided.
Oh believe me, I know...our first trip after our honeymoon in 2000 was in 2013, and we then had 2 kids to plan for as well. I spent months reading, shuffling around dates and fast passes, etc. But your average vacationer just doesn't expect to have to do so much research to plan a family vacation. I have three relatives who know I'm a Disney freak and took Disney trips with their families, but didn't bother to ask me, didn't use a TA, and didn't research...they've all said they won't be returning. They "enjoyed" their trips, but just felt it wasn't worth the money - which in my opinion is because they didn't do the necessary research and planning.

Jon81uk

Oh believe me, I know...our first trip after our honeymoon in 2000 was in 2013, and we then had 2 kids to plan for as well. I spent months reading, shuffling around dates and fast passes, etc. But your average vacationer just doesn't expect to have to do so much research to plan a family vacation. I have three relatives who know I'm a Disney freak and took Disney trips with their families, but didn't bother to ask me, didn't use a TA, and didn't research...they've all said they won't be returning. They "enjoyed" their trips, but just felt it wasn't worth the money - which in my opinion is because they didn't do the necessary research and planning.
A large number of hotels don't have fridges at all. If I was packing and didn't know much about the accommodation at all, I wouldn't expect to be able to freeze ice packs. I would think unless they are bringing baby milk there are not many first time visitors bringing coolers with them?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
A large number of hotels don't have fridges at all. If I was packing and didn't know much about the accommodation at all, I wouldn't expect to be able to freeze ice packs. I would think unless they are bringing baby milk there are not many first time visitors bringing coolers with them?
Depends on the guest honestly. Some people have scraped only enough dough together to get themselves inside the gates. Can't even think about buying food inside the park at Disney's prices. So I imagine that type of guest may bring a cooler. I am lucky enough to have never had to bring outside food in, but I know some folks who have. Anyways.

ImperfectPixie

I'm sort of basing my argument here on what's listed on the rules/excluded items page, which any guest should have common sense enough to read, along with resort amenities. Most of the families I know would be savvy enough to check for local food shopping and would likely hit a Walmart or something to buy a cooler and food supplies so they can save money on food (if they didn't bring one they already had and drive to FL, which many people I know do).

CaptainAmerica

But again, an inexperienced guest may not think of that.
Too bad? An inexperienced guest might show up on to a cruise ship without their passport. That doesn't mean I feel sorry for them or that the cruise line should let them board.

Every hotel on the planet has an ice machine, so this whole digression about whether or not you can freeze your ice pack is irrelevant.

ImperfectPixie

Too bad? An inexperienced guest might show up on to a cruise ship without their passport. That doesn't mean I feel sorry for them or that the cruise line should let them board.

Every hotel on the planet has an ice machine, so this whole digression about whether or not you can freeze your ice pack is irrelevant.
My point is that Disney is suggesting people bring them, yet they can't be frozen in Disney's own resort rooms. It's not irrelevant, it's pointing out an obvious flaw on the Disney website that many depend on for planning their vacations. Granted, we've all got our ears to the ground for changes in policies, etc., but the majority of Disney guests aren't like us, and there is still a large portion of the population that doesn't check social media or blogs for information regarding a family vacation...they'd rely strictly on the Disney website.

jt04

My point is that Disney is suggesting people bring them, yet they can't be frozen in Disney's own resort rooms. It's not irrelevant, it's pointing out an obvious flaw on the Disney website that many depend on for planning their vacations. Granted, we've all got our ears to the ground for changes in policies, etc., but the majority of Disney guests aren't like us, and there is still a large portion of the population that doesn't check social media or blogs for information regarding a family vacation...they'd rely strictly on the Disney website.

I'm assuming Disney is counting on people adapting to any policy changes over time since no company can be expected to account for every individual variable.

If you bring a few freezer packs with you and can't freeze them then you put ice in a resealable baggie.

People who have no ability to adapt to changes probably shouldn't travel. To be blunt.

Kingoglow

Yes, this ^^^^^

If you need to bring insulin to the parks it needs to be kept cold. So it would need to be in ice at least until you could get to a first aid center for them to keep it for you.

I can see some big issues here. Family turn up with insulin vials packed in crushed ice. Are they going to be denied entry? Forced to empty out the ice and then speed walk to the first aid Center? It’s hard enough to keep it properly chilled without the freezer compartments in the in-room fridges, without this added complication. (At least a fridge is cold, unlike a park in the height of summer).

I know there are some suggestions above, but think of your average guest who comes every 2 or 3 years. Why would they check the small print each time?

Forced to dump the ice and walk (safely) to the First Aid center. If not, then denied entry. Or that family can use frozen ice packs which can be frozen at your hotel with ice from the ice machine, placed in the ice bucket and store in the refrigerator. I am also going to go out on a limb and guess that Disney will sell frozen ice packs.

CaptainAmerica

1. The vast majority of Disney rooms have freezer compartments.
  2. The vast majority of park guests are not staying in a Disney hotel in the first place.
  3. The vast majority of guests don't need to travel with ice anyways.

You're getting all worked up over a small fraction of a small fraction of a small fraction of guests and even THOSE guests will be accommodated with free ice in their hotel and in the parks.

You're being silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom