NO Harry Potter for Disney!

teebin

I still gotta wonder about the cost. If memory serves me correctly, Expedition Everest cost about $100M to build. Universal is going to create this entire 20 acre site for an estimated cost of $100-150M. It seems to me that the concept art looks great, but the finished product might not be anywhere close....

It is my opinion and understanding that the $100-150M mentioned previously has little if nothing to do with the Harry Potter construction. It is for Simpsons, plus refurbs and a few new smaller attractions.

The number tossed around from the UK news had the HP land at $500M

ToTBellHop

It is my opinion and understanding that the $100-150M mentioned previously has little if nothing to do with the Harry Potter construction. It is for Simpsons, plus refurbs and a few new smaller attractions.

$500m for 20 acres? The brooms better really fly. And guests better be able to Apparate from land to land.

TomDisney

I'm taking this from the St. Pete Times (www.sptimes.com)

Universal Orlando has signed a deal to transform a corner of its Islands of Adventure park into a multi-attraction "theme park within a theme park" called the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter."

Slated to open in 2009, the biggest expansion of the park since it opened will jut off the existing Lost Continent area and likely include re-theming the Duleing Dragons roller coasters.

Park offiicals are mum on what other rides are part of the more than $100-milllion project, but the new themed area will include mock-ups of Potter icons Hogwarts Castle, the Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade village.

========================================

Right now, it's possible, that alot of info, is getting tossed around and misread and misconstrued....when the dust settles in a few days, I imagine we'll know more of the correct details....

csmat99

I still gotta wonder about the cost. If memory serves me correctly, Expedition Everest cost about $100M to build. Universal is going to create this entire 20 acre site for an estimated cost of $100-150M. It seems to me that the concept art looks great, but the finished product might not be anywhere close....

I don't know where you are getting the figure of 100-150m.

Here "No terms have been disclosed of the contract between Universal, Warner Bros. and Rowling. Universal declined to reveal what it intends to invest in "Wizarding World." But the corporation's annual report released earlier this year indicated the company intended to spend up to $120 million this year on new items -- triple what was spent in 2005 or 2006 -- and Davis said the company would have high capital budgets in 2008 and '09 as well. Universal also has announced a new ride based on The Simpsons cartoon, to open next year."

They just said they plan on spending $120 million on new items this year 2007. Figuring most of the hard work will be starting the end of the year into next. The big money won't be until 2008-09. I would imagine they will be spending anywhere from 350-500 million on these project.

disneyparksrock

This seems awesome. J.K. Rowling wants things done very faithfully to the books, and while some say that she went with Universal because it was the only option, this sounds very untrue. If Universal was going to make this a Harry Potter refurb of The Lost Contient she just wouldn't have a Harry Potter theme park at all.

Mike00spy

Ah, you say that. And what entire land does Star Wars have? None. 'A Bug's Land' at DCA is the closest you'll get to one property having multiple attractions in the same land at a Disney park. I guess you can call 'Pirate Island' one as well.

Star Wars is also much more popular that Potter. This may not be true when a Potter film or DVD or book is on its way out, but over the past 30 years, Star Wars is much more popular. Potter fans are going to argue, but let me know when Potter sells over $10b in merchandise. Not to mention that the sell through on the Star Wars Expanded Universe books is higher than the sell through on Potter books. Yes, there are MANY more Star Wars books released, but the books DO sell more.

For that matter, Lord of the Rings was a more profitable movie series, as is Pirates. The highest grossing Potter movie, Sorcerer's Stone, only did $317m. (367m inflation adjusted) which is only slightly better than the worst grossing Star Wars movie, Episode II.

A ride for Potter would have been more than fine. Repurposing and building an entire land ... not so much.

Potter has been outperforming Star Wars- check the WORLD WIDE BOX OFFICE

2005- Goblet of Fire 892 Million, Revenge of the Sith 845 Million
2002- Chamber of Secrets 879, Attack of the Clones 649 Million

disneyparksrock

Star Wars is also much more popular that Potter. This may not be true when a Potter film or DVD or book is on its way out, but over the past 30 years, Star Wars is much more popular. Potter fans are going to argue, but let me know when Potter sells over $10b in merchandise. Not to mention that the sell through on the Star Wars Expanded Universe books is higher than the sell through on Potter books. Yes, there are MANY more Star Wars books released, but the books DO sell more.

For that matter, Lord of the Rings was a more profitable movie series, as is Pirates. The highest grossing Potter movie, Sorcerer's Stone, only did $317m. (367m inflation adjusted) which is only slightly better than the worst grossing Star Wars movie, Episode II.

It may be true that Star Wars is more popular that Harry Potter, but it's not the same way with LOTR or Pirates. Sure if you're just counting the movies they may be more profitable, but the Harry Potter books are way more popular than any of the LOTR or Pirates movies. Also you have to add in all the Harry Potter merchandise that gets sold.

Popularity as a franchise overall:
1. Star Wars
2. Harry Potter
3. Tie between LOTR and Pirates

Also, I've never heard of any Star Wars book outselling a Harry Potter book. Star Wars movies=more profitable than Harry Potter movies, Star Wars books=less profitable than Harry Potter books.

TomDisney

I don't know where you are getting the figure of 100-150m.

That's the figure being reported in the St. Pete Times. Like I said before, when the dust settles down from this announcment, we'll probably get some better and more accurate facts than what we are getting right now.

CrashNet

Yes, but will Potter alone be enough to save Universal? Doubtful.

Especially since they are going to take the cheap route like usual and do rethemes and things of that sort. I guess it was one way of getting around Rowling wanting multiple attractions and an entire land. Is Potter the type of product that can support an entire land? Disney didn't think so, and I agree with them. I guess we'll find out. It will probably be popular for a while, and through the release of the rest of the movies, but after that?

I'd check it out if its impressive on my first trip after it opens, but I doubt it will be any more than that. For one, the terrible condition of Dueling Dragons gives me immense headaches after riding.

I'm actually a huge fan of Dueling Dragons. I love the intensity, but I'm also a rollercoaster nut.

I do agree though: its not the smartest idea to theme an entire LAND after Harry Potter. The franchise is going to die, especially with the final book now complete. What happens then? What becomes of the Harry Potter themed world?

Mike00spy

I'm actually a huge fan of Dueling Dragons. I love the intensity, but I'm also a rollercoaster nut.

I do agree though: its not the smartest idea to theme an entire LAND after Harry Potter. The franchise is going to die, especially with the final book now complete. What happens then? What becomes of the Harry Potter themed world?

What makes LOTR more alive then?

Champion

This seems awesome. J.K. Rowling wants things done very faithfully to the books, and while some say that she went with Universal because it was the only option, this sounds very untrue. If Universal was going to make this a Harry Potter refurb of The Lost Contient she just wouldn't have a Harry Potter theme park at all.

It was Universal or nothing. Disney didn't want to agree to her terms. So yes, it was the only option.

Its about making money. And 'not having a Harry Potter theme park at all' doesn't make money. So that wasn't an option.

Mr Bill

This whole thing is just an excuse for Universal to have their own castle so they can rip off Disney!!! :fork: :fork: :fork: :fork:

:lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It may be true that Star Wars is more popular that Harry Potter, but it's not the same way with LOTR or Pirates. Sure if you're just counting the movies they may be more profitable, but the Harry Potter books are way more popular than any of the LOTR ....

Are you saying that Harry Potter has sold more books than LOTR?

bgraham34

The concept art looks really good. I would love to actually see this for myself, but I am not a big Potter fan. And I really would doubt I will head off to Universal any time soon. Maybe when i have kids. But I would love to see a LOTR or Star Wars land. Either one would be awesome.

wesTcoastY

Well, it is Universal....Disney would have done much on the theming and overall product than Universal.

hrcollectibles

exactly--two years and that sum of cash. I'm expecting nothing more than one E-Ticket and a modest retheme. They give no hint to the scale of the castle, for example, since it is on a hill and is a facade, it could be very small and cheap through use of forced perspective. This seems rather modest to me. It will surely be cool to be transported into the world from the movies, but this just seems like a way to pass an extra hour at Universal. Lost Continent will seem very sparse, though.

they used to have the Psycho House on a hill... I miss those days :( I think they will do a great job I mean not disney quality but close....lol I can;'t wait to see what they do with the bttf building. i mean facade wise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom