NO Harry Potter for Disney!

WDWFigment

Here is the Yahoo article. I don't see it going to Universal as some have said. Looks like a park of its own to me..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070531/people_nm/arts_potter_dc

I think it's just a poorly written article. It definitely says Universal is making it, but calls it a new theme park, as opposed to a new themed land in Universal.

Interestingly enough, Jim Hill first reported that Harry Potter would be going to Universal on Feb 1st. Since, he's had another article that delved into the reasons a little more http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...as-well-as-kuka-s-robotic-arm-technology.aspx
As much as you anti-Jim Hill folks might hate him, I would call this good intell.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I see Disney going ahead with Star Tours 2, maybe the Indiana Jones Ride and maybe something Narnia related to go conteract HP. And does anyone know about theme park rights to Lord of the Rings? Seems if DIsney could obtain those then they would have 2 of the 3 biggest fantasy series to work with(LotR and Narnia)

I think Disney was probably waiting until the whole HP fiasco was finalized. I bet we start seeing ramblings about Narnia especially since Disney did the film. I would love to see Disney get rights to LOTR. With those two properties, they could realistically consider completing DAK.

bjlc57

don't assume a small section or one e ticket.

IOA is dedicating 23 acres to Harry Potter. Someone stated one e-ticket ride. Well the Magic Kingdom is 107 acres and with this being almost 1 /4 the space it has room for multiple E-ticket rides. I would not downplay this announcement to the least.

this is Universals big chance to swing things around or at least try to put them on a much more even plane. They cannot afford to screw this up. Its their one big chance to divert traffic FROM WDW. I would say that they will pull out all the stops for this one.

you could see up to 5 e ticket rides in this amount of space. and thats enough to make quite a bit of difference. Plus refurbishing existing rides to coincide with the new theme.

this could mean seven rides and that my friend is a lot.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The concept art shows the tracks of 2 different coasters - neither of which are Dueling Dragons.

And Epcot was built in 2 years. Disney has simply chosen to build slowly in recent years.

Eyorefan

Interestingly enough, Jim Hill first reported that Harry Potter would be going to Universal on Feb 1st. Since, he's had another article that delved into the reasons a little more http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...as-well-as-kuka-s-robotic-arm-technology.aspx
As much as you anti-Jim Hill folks might hate him, I would call this good intell.

I could be wrong, I didn't bother to search, but I seem to remember hill doing an article before the universal one about how Harry Potter was going to Disney. I could be wrong on that.... but to me it seems like he had a 50/50 shot at being right.

NemoRocks78

Seized
The concept art shows the tracks of 2 different coasters - neither of which are Dueling Dragons.

And Epcot was built in 2 years. Disney has simply chosen to build slowly in recent years.
Where the heck are these two coasters? I see two on the poster-style concept art, but those are definitely The Flying Unicorn and Dueling Dragons.

Eyorefan

I'm upset about this. As a Harry Potter fan I'm now going to have to take time out of my disney trips to go to Universal and on top of that I'm afraid I will be disappointed. Univeral has never had the same standers or quality as Disney and I'm afraid that they are going to ruin what could be one of the coolest theme park experiances ever!

That being said. I think the only good that can come from this is to make the execs at Disney actually invest in the Studios again. That park is in desprate need of some TLC and like others have said there are some great attractions out there that could easly breath life back in the dead park.

csmat99

Plus, there isn't much room for them to "build" a new land in that area...unless they take Sinbad and the back access road. Other wise the park line currently lines up to the employee parking lot & maint buildings.

Do you know how much they can fit in 20acres? Alot. They are not just throwing so paint on old rides. I'm sure they won't have the whole plan built by 2009 but I'm sure by 2010 it will be completed. Rowling would not have signed off on a cheapen version of her baby.

PKD

Original Poster
Well according to the article, they are going to take space from the parking lot and "park support," which I guess means the maintenance buildings you mentioned.

I did notice that in the article, however my thoughts are still there as the maintenance buildings don't look like easy moves. Then again, I do lighting and not construction so what do I know HA HA

NemoRocks78

Seized
Rowling would not have signed off on a cheapen version of her baby.

EXACTLY. We all know how she's been with her property, and I HIGHLY doubt she would've just let them have the rights unless everything was absolutely perfect (I imagine this will be like the Seuss Landing situation - Audrey Geisel supposedly wanted the island to be perfect and everything, and she's very strict on what happens with the place, like not allowing any HHN things to take place in it).

Champion

I just can't imagine what Universal mut have to do this. I am sure it was a handfull. But on the other hand Disney probably wanted a high percentage of the merchandise revenue and JKR refuse and went with the cheaper option.

Actually, after Disney turned down Rowling's terms, she didn't have anywhere else to go except Universal.

The fact that they accepted everything she wanted says wonders about how desperate they are.

Thanks.

Wow, hate to say it, but if they pull off the castle like that I'll be impressed.

Yes, but will Potter alone be enough to save Universal? Doubtful.

Especially since they are going to take the cheap route like usual and do rethemes and things of that sort. I guess it was one way of getting around Rowling wanting multiple attractions and an entire land. Is Potter the type of product that can support an entire land? Disney didn't think so, and I agree with them. I guess we'll find out. It will probably be popular for a while, and through the release of the rest of the movies, but after that?

I'd check it out if its impressive on my first trip after it opens, but I doubt it will be any more than that. For one, the terrible condition of Dueling Dragons gives me immense headaches after riding.

Official Concept Art

In browsing a few of my favorite Harry Potter websites I came across the official concept art for the project. If anyone is interested here are the links:

Hogwarts
http://mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=/officialpw_castle.jpg

Hogsmeade
http://mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=/officialpw_hogsmeade.jpg

Owl's Eye View
http://mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=/officialpw_poster.jpg

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I am a huge Harry Potter Fan, but not exactly enthusiastic to see Universal get their hands on this project. Ah, only time will tell.

flynnibus

Premium Member
HP is an entire 'universe' though.. just as star wars is. There is plenty of room to expand stories and additional characters beyond the initial HP books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom