No "free dinning" rumor

c-one

Is there any reason to believe axing free dining would result in an uptick in Disney food quality and/or make it easier to book a table? I fear the toothpaste is out of the tube on that one.

I dunno; I like the DDP because it saves me money even when I'm paying for it (I'm the type who spends big on food) but I don't like the side effects it's had on Disney dining. Having to book reservations six months out is insane. Half the time, my trip isn't even booked that far out. I know lots of folks book a year in advance, but my job doesn't allow me that much lead time I'm afraid...

I'd like to see Disney reserve more tables for walk-ups -- or at least, day-of reservations. Throw a bone to those of us who aren't micromanagers.

surfsupdon

We don't go for "Free Dining" because our room only and ticket discounts far exceed free dining...and Tables in Wonderland helps us out even more too.

And we don't eat 3 full meals a day. Disney food is delicious, but it is heavy, salty, and comes in large quantities. We would not be maxing out our credits in the end. Too much food.

I don't like Free Dining because it has generalized a lot of the menus, particularly in World Showcase.

I do understand that people enjoy free dining promotions, especially if it makes a trip cheaper, but for us it does not. Rack rates at Deluxes are far too high, lol.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why wouldn't they want to cater for the masses, when its the masses who go and keep the place going?! Long live free dining, brilliant discount for us in the UK and you still get all the atmosphere of the restaurants!

Because the masses will still come. Discounted dining is on the way out. It's just a question of when.

c-one

Why wouldn't they want to cater for the masses, when its the masses who go and keep the place going?! Long live free dining, brilliant discount for us in the UK and you still get all the atmosphere of the restaurants!

Atmosphere is important, but what about the stuff you're paying to actually eat?

sweetpee_1993

It's not just the lack of availability that is the issue with the dining plan or free dining. It's the quality of the food that is served that becomes extremely limited and often depleted. Before you dispell this idea just take a moment to open your mind and think about it from a business standpoint. First and foremost you need to understand that at the end of the day NO business survives by giving stuff away for free. The money to pay for it will come from somewhere. Just as you are maximizing your savings by comparing the bigger picture and going with the best offer for you, Disney is looking at the bigger picture and choosing where to offer discounts to maximize their profits. If free dining didn't make them good money by strategically offering it they wouldn't do it year after year. We all know what the cost of the dining plan is. Each restaurant runs on their own budget with a cost to income ratio for everything they serve. They have a cost to produce it and a price to recover that cost plus turn a profit. If Disney is giving you your dining for free then they are, in turn, paying the restaurants you dine in an amount to cover your expense. Do they pay the restaurant the menu prices? Highly unlikely. To add to this, even those who pay for their dining plan, there's going to be a set portion of the daily dining plan cost that will be routed to the restaurants you dined in. Again, that amount of money is NOT likely to be the equivalent of the menu prices. So, for the restaurants to remain profitable it is in their best interest to take actions to ensure they reduce their costs as much as possible. This can be done several ways. For example: purchase lesser quality ingredients, reduce portion sizes, eliminate better quality dishes that cost more to make, and cut back on staffing. Additionally, menu prices are increased to further cushion the gap between cost and price which, in turn, puts a little extra burden on the customers who don't use dining plans and pay out of pocket. Dining plans can, do, and have played a role in the quality of what is being served. I forget who it was, but a member here did speak with s food service/management person candidly some time back about this topic and he did confirm that it DOES play a substantial role in quality.

If limited ADR availability isn't enough to chap someone's tush, try cluing them in that they get to pay more for less. That's not gonna make 'em real happy. I, for one, understand.

To those who are happy they get preference with restaurant ADRs because they were astute enough to make their ADRs 6 months in advance, I'm happy you're so fortunate to be assured without question when you'll be able to vacation that far in advance. Not everyone is so blessed as you with a life of absolute certainty. There are many good people in this world who carry responsibilities that doesn't make that possible for them. Compassion for your fellow man isn't a bad thing. No one of us Disney fans were born with the knowledge to work with the nuances of WDWs booking processes.

I've done the oober planning, spent my years getting a rush working the system. Ill be honest, I'm pretty much over it. I'd rather not have to plan each meal 6 months ahead of time. Heck, I don't even want to think about what we'll eat for dinner next week. I'd rather go on vacation and be in the moment. At this point, the fact that this crazy planning is even necessary is enough irritation to be a deterrent. Then, to think I'd have to go thru all that planning work only to get there and pay crazy amounts of money for lesser quality pretty much makes up my mind. Y'all can have it. There's plenty of Disney magic to be had without all this to bother with.

Have a magical day, y'all! :wave:

No clue what the SPIRITED CHANGE is but I know enough to recognize that change is a very good thing. :animwink:

Pentacat

Kind of related.

Why does the Fall free dining always exclude most of October? Last three years the free dining offer ends on/around 10/8 and then starts back up on/around 10/22. Is it because of Food & Wine Festival? That would make sense if the blackouts were for ALL of F&W not just part of it but I can't think why else it would be. Isn't October a fairly low occupancy month?

Just curious.

Dads 2 Boys

Kind of related.

Why does the Fall free dining always exclude most of October? Last three years the free dining offer ends on/around 10/8 and then starts back up on/around 10/22. Is it because of Food & Wine Festival? That would make sense if the blackouts were for ALL of F&W not just part of it but I can't think why else it would be. Isn't October a fairly low occupancy month?

Just curious.

Columbus Day week is generally a bit busier than the rest of the month.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Fors in Ireland it rules!!!

I save $3000 on dining for a 3 week stay

Plus

I save maybe $2000 plus with my 40% discount at OKW :sohappy:

Dads 2 Boys

Every year I hope free dining disappears. And every year it comes back.

At the very least, Disney should decrease the number of restaurants available under the free dining umbrella. Take Chefs de France off, take Le Cellier off, take Tutto Italia off, ect... Maybe then those kinds of restaurants could again offer a great experience.

I like the DDP and have used it every trip so far however this would be a good idea.

I personally think they should remove all the World Showcase TS restaurants from the DDP in general. This would be a step towards adding flexibility in ADRs.

AmongMadPeople

Kind of related.

Just curious.

As previously said, Columbus Day plays a part. Any time there is a school holiday, even just one day, it can affect occupancy and crowds. Later in the month, many schools have a brief fall break. I see lots of people booking over their falls breaks, and have taken a trip over one myself. With an uptick in bookings, and in this case for people whose dates are inflexible, Disney doesn't have incentive to (heavily) discount.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Fors in Ireland it rules!!!

I save $3000 on dining for a 3 week stay

Plus

I save maybe $2000 plus with my 40% discount at OKW :sohappy:

If it wasn't for free dining it would not have cost you 3000 to eat for three weeks. The DDP has caused artificial inflation of all of Disney's food.

Kind of a Catch 22.

Captain Chaos

Some people do not consider it stupid. We know exactly where we want to eat on our next trip.

And I agree, it does add way too many people. However, Disney is a business and as a business they do what makes them money, not what the people want. I know, that in and of itself is dumb since we basically pay for the lights to be kept on, but there you go. :shrug:

Maybe I should have said the 180 day out ADR booking is stupid in my opinion...

My last trip, I had 2 ADRs I didn't even bother going to... Booking them was more a hassle than an event I was looking forward to... And yes, I always used to look forward to the 180 mark to book my ADRs... Now??? it has worn on me... Like I said, i'll take my chances and walk up... if I can't a seat, then i'll eat at a counter service (found some great ones the last 2 trips that have now become favorites) or I'll leave property and eat at one of the better restaurants off property... Or even head to Sanaa and dine there... :)

My vacations aren't ruined because of no ADRs or unavailable ADRs... there are plenty of places to eat in WDW and Central Florida...

real mad hatter

Shhh.

Easy Crush Dude,I can see an invasion of Americans coming to UK to get these offers.Only joking before I get shot down.This will be our fifth WDW vacation staying onsite,but first getting free DDP. Yes,I reckon it will save us,family of three on a 14 day holiday,at least $1000,we have booked three ADRS but still it's a great offer.We did look at the deluxe TS but decided that QS was our best option and opt for a few TS meals ourselfs.That's the great thing about staying onsite,each family can choose what they feel suits them.:wave:

Crush Dude!

I like the DDP and have used it every trip so far however this would be a good idea.

I personally think they should remove all the World Showcase TS restaurants from the DDP in general. This would be a step towards adding flexibility in ADRs.

This makes no sense!!

This would kill it so if this is what you want you may aswel just get rid altogether

Crush Dude!

If it wasn't for free dining it would not have cost you 3000 to eat for three weeks. The DDP has caused artificial inflation of all of Disney's food.

Kind of a Catch 22.

Wrong it would!!

21 days of eating 1 TS and 1 QS for 3 people would have surely cost $120 to $140 a day plus throw in snacks and do the math :wave:

Pentacat

As previously said, Columbus Day plays a part. Any time there is a school holiday, even just one day, it can affect occupancy and crowds. Later in the month, many schools have a brief fall break. I see lots of people booking over their falls breaks, and have taken a trip over one myself. With an uptick in bookings, and in this case for people whose dates are inflexible, Disney doesn't have incentive to (heavily) discount.

Completely forgot about October Breaks for schools. That makes sense.

Thanks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wrong it would!!

21 days of eating 1 TS and 1 QS for 3 people would have surely cost $120 to $140 a day plus throw in snacks and do the math :wave:

The prices in the restaurants would be cheaper if free dining was not around.

Therefore, you would NOT be spending 140 a day to eat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom