No filet mignon during free dining rumor??

carolina_yankee

Original Poster
Yes the menus have been changed. In most cases the filet has been removed, and a strip steak put in its place, and an increase in price of around $1 or $2.

See http://www.wdwmagic.com/menus.htm for details.

Steve, am I missing something (besides a fillet)? It looks like the menus are pre-change.

Also, any idea on whether this is like to be permanent (overall cost-savings) or temporary?

For any of you using Free Dining to get your Filet Mignon...serves you right...looking to eat like a king for nothing!

As for the rest of us...such as AP holders who can't really ever take advantage of free dining...If we ask for a Filet Mignon...we will get one...regardless of if it's on the menu or not... :king:

To get a fillet, they have to have it in stock. It's always worth asking, but they aren't going to go out to Publix and buy one for an AP holder (who is likely to be save 20% anyway with the DDE). I would hope Jiko and the other signatures would keep some in hand, just in case, though. :D

Dirk

Badger Brent

I just booked our holiday trip and the CM pushed the dining plan. He (CM) said you can eat steak for every one of you table meals if we wanted. Two days later this thread comes down the pipe. I was able to get LeCellier and Rose & Crown, but the rest are mainly buffet meals. I still see this as a chance to try some items on the menus that I might shy away from because of price. I'm sure I won't starve at WDW.;)

kjd469

How can AP holders get free dining without buying a one day ticket? Did I miss something?
If you are an AP holder and want to get free dining, you just have to pay for a 1 day ticket with your package, then use your AP for the rest of your days...it still is a good deal even if you have to pay for the 1 day.

tigsmom

I just booked our holiday trip and the CM pushed the dining plan. He (CM) said you can eat steak for every one of you table meals if we wanted. Two days later this thread comes down the pipe. I was able to get LeCellier and Rose & Crown, but the rest are mainly buffet meals. I still see this as a chance to try some items on the menus that I might shy away from because of price. I'm sure I won't starve at WDW.;)

You can still eat steak, they just took away the filet

durangojim

Very funny! :lol: I do love my fruits and veggies but I do like a good steak every now and then. I surely intended to eat one while at WDW. I guess I'll have to get mine in at Victoria and Alberts. Assuming they will have some sort of selection in the way of a quality steak.

When my wife and I dined there last year on Valentines, they had Kobe beef, not too shabby.

MrsJackSparrow

They have done this the past two years, so I'm not surprised to see that the menus will be tweaked, especially during free dining.

Last year, we booked lunch at Tony's Town Square, a later lunch so we'd finish when the parade came by, and specifically lunch because we just wanted paninis. Well,Tony's did us the grand "favor" of serving only off their dinner menu and made a big production out of it being bigger meals, more food, blah, blah, blah. We were disappointed. I really liked Tony's in the 90s when they served breakfast. Since they stopped doing that, the service/food there has taken a nosedive. We try going there every couple years, hoping we'll have a good experience, and it's always a disappointment. :hammer:

So, just know if you're going during free dining that the menu offerings will potentially be different that what's posted online or what you remember from your last trip.

devoy1701

To get a fillet, they have to have it in stock. It's always worth asking, but they aren't going to go out to Publix and buy one for an AP holder (who is likely to be save 20% anyway with the DDE). I would hope Jiko and the other signatures would keep some in hand, just in case, though. :D

Dirk

That was my point...that most likely they will still have Filets available even if it's not on the menu for some of those people who INSIST that they will pay whatever to get a filet...most signature restaurants anywhere do that kind of thing... tho this offer would not be available to someone eating on a free dining Ressie! But for me, who doesn't get free dining because even though I'm an AP holder and i can add dining to my room reservation now, Free Dining is only available to people booking rooms and MYW Tickets...

Crazy4WDW1

If you are an AP holder and want to get free dining, you just have to pay for a 1 day ticket with your package, then use your AP for the rest of your days...it still is a good deal even if you have to pay for the 1 day.

Yes, that is what I did two years ago. I just used my unused ticket toward the renewal of my AP. It worked out great.

However, it looks like you no longer have to do that.

I do have the DDE card, so I may not get free dining, but that 20% adds up fast.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve, am I missing something (besides a fillet)? It looks like the menus are pre-change.

Also, any idea on whether this is like to be permanent (overall cost-savings) or temporary?

The two that immediately spring to mind are the Brown Derby and Coral Reef. Both lost their filet. You can see the new menus for those locations at www.wdwmagic.com/menus.htm

I really hope it isnt permanent, but its been this way for a couple of months now. Others are starting to do the same. I should have updated menus soon, so we'll see how many filets survive.

socalkdg

Yes the menus have been changed. In most cases the filet has been removed, and a strip steak put in its place, and an increase in price of around $1 or $2.

See http://www.wdwmagic.com/menus.htm for details.
I'll take a Filet or Ribeye, and if desperate will go with a New York or Top Sirloin.

It looks like most of the two table credit restaurants still have Filets, and most 1 table credit restaurants never had one to start off with. The Brown Derby does have a Ribeye. Never realized the Coral Reef had meet, thougt it was only fish.

SirNim

Quelle belle économie!

Oh well, the less Disney buys, the cheaper the prices should be (theoretically) at the local supermarket!

Rob562

But for me, who doesn't get free dining because even though I'm an AP holder and i can add dining to my room reservation now, Free Dining is only available to people booking rooms and MYW Tickets...

As others have said, there are ways for an AP-holder to get Free Dining.

If you don't have an active AP when Free Dining is available, you can upgrade the Free Dining package's MYW ticket into an AP. That's exactly what I'm doing next month.

If you already have an AP, you can book the Free Dining package with a Base 1-day MYW ticket. Don't use the ticket during your trip, use your AP for your admission. Then apply that 1-day ticket toward your next AP renewal. Yes, you're paying for something up-front that you won't be using during right away, but you get the money back at your renewal.

If you're interested in trying out the Free Dining next year (if it's offered), you should consider one of these options.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom