Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

JT3000

No it would not. It is the exact same story. You go from one scene to another simulating danger. You end up "going up" and
at the end are dropped from a height, only to be saved by the hero. That implies being the same, which they are, and you
know it.
Yes, the exact same story. Who could forget that time Megatron stole the Statue of Liberty with his anti-gravity cannon? Or when we helped Spider-Man retrieve the Allspark?

Good times.

OG Runner

Yes, the exact same story. Who could forget that time Megatron stole the Statue of Liberty with his anti-gravity cannon? Or when we helped Spider-Man retrieve the Allspark?

Good times.

I am sorry, I have known you to contribute to other discussions in a clear manner. You really cannot be that dense.
If you are though, explain to me how Spiderman at Disneyland and Midway Mania are the same. One takes place
in an arcade with toys the other is with robotic spiders in a lab. Nothing at all alike, right?

JT3000

I am sorry, I have known you to contribute to other discussions in a clear manner. You really cannot be that dense.
If you are though, explain to me how Spiderman at Disneyland and Midway Mania are the same. One takes place
in an arcade with toys the other is with robotic spiders in a lab. Nothing at all alike, right?
Hey, I'm not the one saying two rides share the exact same story when this is demonstrably untrue. You can't just summarize these two rides as "you go up and then get dropped & saved by the hero." That is a single shared story beat in two 4-minute-long experiences. It's like you had your eyes closed on both rides up until they reached their similar conclusions. That would also explain why you think the technical compositions of the rides are the same.

I don't consider playing games a story, so I'm not even going to bother trying to compare that aspect of the Disney rides. At least Spider-Mania has a narrative set up in its preshow. I guess that's something. Midway Mania literally has nothing. It's just "Hey, here's these games themed to Toy Story. Play them." But if we're being honest, that's what both ride experiences ultimately boil down to. There's no substance, similar or otherwise. That's a much bigger problem than them sharing a ride system.

Rich Brownn

Cute, but you both know I am right, just to be clear my response was in response to another poster stating Midway Mania and the
new Spiderman in California are the same. If that is the premise how can you deny Spiderman and Transformers are not the same?
I have no interest in debating with someone who has no knowledge of motion picture projection and filming techniques. You're either being obtuse or ignorant, since you didn't address why I explained there is a difference. So.... bye bye.

Tom Morrow

Yes, you do have to ride both Spider-Man and Transformers to know what the ride experience is like. Aside from all the ways they are different that have been discussed, both are simulating different movements. It's like saying you don't need to ride Body Wars because it's the same ride as Star Tours.

Toy Story Mania and Webslingers, on the other hand, I know exactly what it feels like for the ride vehicle to park in front of a game screen while I shoot at stuff.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I don’t typically talk about Universal. When I saw this news though I had to post about it on here. Universal Japan has officially confirmed the DK expansion. This new land will apparently open in 2024. It will also increase Super Nintendo’s size by about 70%. The concept art given looks almost exactly the same as that scale model and concept art that was unofficially (I think) released. The entire land is themed to DK’s Jungle and features one attraction. We still don’t have an official name but it is indeed the Donkey Kong Minecart Rollercoaster!

I definitely didn‘t shy away talking about my disappointment in the Mario Kart ride. This attraction shows promise though and I think it should add some much needed (not really thrills but something more intense then kart and yoshi). I am hoping this land is geared a little more to adults. Not that it’s bad Super Nintendo World is geared toward children it’s the nature of the IP, I just hope their is more for adults to do in this area, the way this attraction is described that seems to be the case. Not looking for a very intense coaster, just something that has a little more thrill to it.

Miyamoto looks to be involved once again.

Press Release: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2021/210928.html

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don’t typically talk about Universal. When I saw this news though I had to post about it on here. Universal Japan has officially confirmed the DK expansion. This new land will apparently open in 2024. It will also increase Super Nintendo’s size by about 70%. The concept art given looks almost exactly the same as that scale model and concept art that was unofficially (I think) released. The entire land is themed to DK’s Jungle and features one attraction. We still don’t have an official name but it is indeed the Donkey Kong Minecart Rollercoaster!

I definitely didn‘t shy away talking about my disappointment in the Mario Kart ride. This attraction shows promise though and I think it should add some much needed (not really thrills but something more intense then kart and yoshi). I am hoping this land is geared a little more to adults. Not that it’s bad Super Nintendo World is geared toward children it’s the nature of the IP, I just hope their is more for adults to do in this area, the way this attraction is described that seems to be the case. Not looking for a very intense coaster, just something that has a little more thrill to it.

Miyamoto looks to be involved once again.

Press Release: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2021/210928.html
Mario Kart is the biggest theme park let down since Galaxy's Edge

mickEblu

Mario Kart is the biggest theme park let down since Galaxy's Edge

If we re comparing rides only I think Mario Kart is the far bigger disappointment. ROTR is more or less what I expected even if it falls short in the thrill category. Mario Kart i think is just such a different ride than what people were expecting.

Mario Kart v Smugglers Run is a more fair comparison and still the bigger disappointment of the two by far. I really expected something groundbreaking for Mario Kart. The fact that a Mario Kart RACING ride is going the speed of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey is ridiculous.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

If we re comparing rides only I think Mario Kart is the far bigger disappointment. ROTR is more or less what I expected even if it falls short in the thrill category. Mario Kart i think is just such a different ride than what people were expecting.

Mario Kart v Smugglers Run is a more fair comparison and still the bigger disappointment of the two by far. I really expected something groundbreaking for Mario Kart. The fact that a Mario Kart RACING ride is going the speed of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey is ridiculous.
That's fair. That is a better comparison.

BubbaisSleep

I love how everyone stateside has such a strong opinion on Mario Kart despite having never ridden it. 😏
The initial disappointment of a racing game not being translated into a fast, racing ride is understandable. But people pretending it’s the worst thing ever or on par with pure simulators like MFSR make it seem like some are just holding onto that one disappointment & neglecting the great things about this ride. Most of us have never ridden it and it is still exactly what Universal needs more of, being dark rides with well-themed sets. It looks like a very fun ride still and I’m excited to see it in person at USH next year! Just wish it raced haha

Tom Morrow

Sometimes a ride video is telling enough as to whether a ride hit the mark or missed it. It's very obvious to me from videos that Mario Kart does not meet the expectations for most as to what a Mario Kart ride should be. Similarly, and MUCH worse, Spider-Man WEBSlingers is very obviously a massive miss on what an MCU ride should be. Or any ride in general... because it looks terrible.

The ride concept they have created for Mario Kart seems much better suited for, say, a Luigi's Mansion dark ride where you traverse through the physical sets of the mansion and the VR helmet game is you catching ghosts.

JT3000

Sometimes a ride video is telling enough as to whether a ride hit the mark or missed it. It's very obvious to me from videos that Mario Kart does not meet the expectations for most as to what a Mario Kart ride should be. Similarly, and MUCH worse, Spider-Man WEBSlingers is very obviously a massive miss on what an MCU ride should be. Or any ride in general... because it looks terrible.

The ride concept they have created for Mario Kart seems much better suited for, say, a Luigi's Mansion dark ride where you traverse through the physical sets of the mansion and the VR helmet game is you catching ghosts.
Except Webslingers uses a ride system we're all very familiar with, where you're just moving from screen to screen for most of the ride, whereas Mario Kart has sets and utilizes AR that can't be properly appreciated without wearing the headset yourself.

I suppose the complaint that a slow-moving dark ride doesn't match the IP being used is a valid one, however, everyone frequenting forums such as this should have known to expect that long before it opened. Instead there's been something akin to outrage since it opened, as if it were being kept a secret.

lazyboy97o

Except Webslingers uses a ride system we're all very familiar with, where you're just moving from screen to screen for most of the ride, whereas Mario Kart has sets and utilizes AR that can't be properly appreciated without wearing the headset yourself.

I suppose the complaint that a slow-moving dark ride doesn't match the IP being used is a valid one, however, everyone frequenting forums such as this should have known to expect that long before it opened. Instead there's been something akin to outrage since it opened, as if it were being kept a secret.
You haven’t been on Cat in the Hat or Men in Black: Alien Attack?

Universal has several times in the past created the illusion of speed on a slow moving dark ride.

JT3000

You haven’t been on Cat in the Hat or Men in Black: Alien Attack?

Universal has several times in the past created the illusion of speed on a slow moving dark ride.
???

Neither of those rides create an illusion of speed. Sure, it can be done in a traditional dark ride environment, but I won't know how effectively until I experience it. All of the existing examples at UO involve screens/simulation, with mixed results.

I'm not as concerned with the ride's speed as others, although I personally would have designed a plain ol' Mario E-ticket that mimics the platformers and saved Mario Kart for a faster moving C or D-ticket. My main concern is that no one really knows what the AR looks like unless they've actually been on the ride themselves, and it's a major aspect of the ride. A lot of people think they know just because someone put a camera inside their headset, but it's not going to translate.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom