Nineteen Eighty-Four Competition Arena

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@DisneyManOne

I really enjoyed this concept. As a big fan of Snow White, I felt this was a loving homage to the attraction which went out of its way to incorporate the best elements from each of the different versions. It's a more recent "Extinct Attraction" which might knock off some points, but the actual attraction was very well written and executed with an obvious level of care.

Creativity: 8/10 Carthay Circle was an inspired choice, as was having this completely outside of Fantasyland. Snow White has an obvious place in the fabric of Hollywood's history, and this is well represented. As I said earlier, I really liked how you blended different elements of the attraction's various different versions.

Realism: 7.5/10 Two things take me out of it a bit here. One, I think the transition from the exterior of the theater directly into the forest is a bit rushed. Probably would have worked better if the transition happened on a subtle level in the lobby of the theater, and then once you get inside the actual auditorium that's when it changes to the forest as if you've stepped inside the movie. As I said, I also think it might be a bit too recent for Disney to want to bring back right away. Loving the connection between the character/IP and the park though!

Detail: 10/10 This was one of the most well written projects of the season so far. I'm very impressed by the prose! Great job describing all the scary scenes and Gothic atmosphere.

Presentation: 9/10 Overall very solid.

Total: 34.5/40

@Brer Panther

This was a solid choice overall. The Seas with Nemo and Friends definitely isn't the big hit Disney was hoping it would be, and could stand to be replaced. One of my questions though...is the aquarium going by the wayside as well? If so I think that's a big mistake, as I feel the giant aquarium is still one of the most charming parts of the whole park...at least what I know of it as someone who's never been :p

Creativity: 6.5/10 I appreciated that you brought back the Little Mermaid "dry/wet" system that was developed for a potential Disneyland Paris attraction. With that said, I don't think a ton was done other than mix around the scenes a little to really give me a sense that this is a revamped experience. It's kinda just "here's the scenes...again!" You can say the same thing about Disneyman's, but I think he had a much stronger overall location.

Realism: 6/10 Seems reasonable in terms of the attraction. Rather or not Disney would replace a lucrative IP with a Jules Verne attraction is a different story...Remember the Nemo sequel is coming out next year, and I believe that's a HUGE reason why Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is still around.

Detail: 5/10 Felt a bit rushed in some parts.

Presentation: 7/10 Good reference photos, nothing to really complain about here, but nothing that overly jumps out at me either.

Total: 23.5/40

@IDInstitute

First of all...I have a weird fascination for the version of Superstar Limo that almost got made in which it was more of a roller coaster where you were being pursued by paparazzi, with much less of an emphasis on corny celebrity cameos. When I saw that at the top of your post I actually got rather excited :p

I loved the personal touch you put into this project. Being at the park the day you wrote this definitely helped, as you gave some vivid description of the ride's surrounding area. An unconventional choice to be sure, but also a very practical one!

Creativity: 7.5/10 Kudos for thinking from a practical point of view!

Detail: 7.5/10 Very well written, and I realize the actual attraction wouldn't contain much, but I still think you rushed through the description of the ride experience a little too briefly.

Realism: 10/10 The highlight of your project to be sure!

Presentation: 8.5/10 Really solid map and reference photos.

Total: 33.5/40

@mickeyfan5534 I thought this project really missed the mark. The "attraction" you chose to replace very recently closed. Hell, I wouldn't really consider anything from Hong Kong old enough to be an "Extinct Attraction" at this point. You also relied far too much on just the lyrics of the songs, and not enough on the description. I know you're still struggling to get your groove on this site, so I feel really bad being so tough here.

Creativity: 5/10 I'm actually giving you a bonus point here for stretching the rules of the project ;)

Detail: 2/10 Sorry...feel bad about this, but this just felt like it was copy and pasted lyrics. Not to mention, it has the "Best of Disney" clip show feel that I've openly criticized on the Youtube channel multiple times.

Realism: 9/10 Your saving grace. Taking a parade from one park and putting it in another park is not unheard of in the slightest.

Presentation: 7/10 I'll give you some props for putting some effort into the rough layouts of the floats.

Total: 23/40

@Basketbuddy101

And week one's Head of Household returns to the battlefield! Let's see how this project stacks up.

Creativity: 7.5/10 I'm a bit mixed here. On one hand, I love that you expanded the lore of the original attraction, and made this a sequel. On another hand, there's something about going into literal "Space" that just felt..."off" to me. The original attraction is so memorable specifically because of the shrinking sensation. I thought this was a much more passive experience that lacked the urgency of the original's desperate circumstances. It was basically Cosmos: The Ride :p

Realism: 8/10 We as fans of change and expansion want to see WoL be used...Unfortunately, much like the Millionaire building in DCA...This pavilion is being taken up by profitable events...and it's essentially "commercial real estate" at this point. With all that being said, the attraction choice certainly fits with the themes and tone of the park.

Detail: 8.5/10 Really well thought out. Great prose!

Presentation: 10/10...Darn it BB, you just can't beat this art work. Hands down the most impressive project presentation wise.

Total: 34/40

JokersWild

I apologize for these being so barebones. I didn't end up having time to really write out reviews and I don't want to hold the game up any longer.

@DisneyManOne - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
I'm not entirely sure I'm a fan of this one. While Snow White's Scary Adventure is a classic ride, and I'm very sad that it's been replaced by a glorified meet and greet, I'm not entirely sure this is the way I'd like to see it be brought back into the parks. While the Carthay Circle Theater is a great, though rather obvious, choice for the facade, I feel as though your location leaves a lot to be desired as I'm honestly not entirely sure that the dark ride could fit in that space. I could be totally wrong, but I just don't see it fitting.

In terms of the actual attraction, I don't really see what you changed. This seems more like an upgraded version of the classic dark ride rather than a reimagining, which disappointed me, honestly.
Creativity: 6.5/10 - Interesting ideas and concepts. I just wish you perhaps took this in a bit of a different direction.
Detail: 8/10 - Fine amount of detail.
Realism: 6/10 - Only really took a hit because I'm not entirely sure it would fit in the building you're trying to fit it in.
Presentation: 7/10 - Fine presentation.
Total: 27.5

@Brer Panther - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Very happy that you decided to do 20k. I'm even more excited that you put it in the Living Seas. I'm honestly torn on 20k having a presence in EPCOT, as it's more fantastical than scientific. However, I do feel as though you pulled it off rather well. This actually reminds me of a project I did way back on VF with DisneySon.

The only thing that worried me a bit was that the attraction was essentially Florida's 20k with Tokyo's ride system. While that's an interesting idea, I feel as though you could have brought it to different places, as the possibilities really are endless when it comes to Captain Nemo and his beloved Nautilus.

I would also like to mention that I really wish you went into detail on the changes to the pavilion, if there were any. While the project was to focus on one attraction, talking about the pavilion as a whole really would have set this over the edge for me.
Creativity - 7/10: Great concepts. Love the placement. I just wish you used a few ideas that weren't in the original attraction.
Detail - 8/10: Fine amount of detail.
Realism - 7/10: I'm not entirely sure how realistic it would be for 20k to show up in EPCOT, especially to overtake an entire pavilion. There'd definitely need to be some sort of reboot of the film to warrant that.
Presentation - 7/10: Fine presentation.
Total - 29/40

@IDInstitute - Discovery River Cruise
I WISH you did Superstar Limo. That would have taken some balls, and I would have been floored had you pulled it off.

On to what you actually did, this was probably the most realistic of the proposals, as it would be cheap to do and it'd be an easy fix to AK's ride issues. I don't really have a ton to say, honestly. What you had was nice. Definitely a nice, conservative choice.

If only you had done Superstar Limo....
Creativity - 6/10: Like I said. This was a conservative choice, and you didn't seem to do a ton with it.
Detail - 6/10: Pretty fine amount of detail
Realism - 9.5/10: Definitely realistic. Probably the most realistic project of the bunch.
Presentation - 7/10: No problem here.
Total - 28.5/40

Final two incoming.

JokersWild

@mickeyfan5534 - Disney on Parade
I feel terrible, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what to make of this. As tiki said, this parade very recently closed. Really, my problem with this is that I just didn't get a feel of your parade. You relied way too heavily on lyrics, while barely explaining each float.

I dunno. The idea was interesting, but the execution left much to be desired.
Creativity - 6/10: You really didn't do a ton, honestly.
Detail - 3/10: I just couldn't get a feel for the parade. You relied too heavily on lyrics, while forgetting to really give detail.
Realism - 8/10: I mean, it's definitely realistic.
Presentation - 7/10: Presentation was fine.
Total - 24/40

@Basketbuddy101 - Adventure Thru Macro Space
I'm just going to put it out there right now that this is my favorite of the projects this round. THIS is what I had hoped everyone would do - taking a long-lost ride and reimagining while still staying true to the original. You absolutely did that. The idea of this being a sequel to Adventure Thru Inner Space is absolutely incredible, and the execution was just as spectacular as the concept.

Many of the scenes were spectacular, most notably the Bubble Ocean scene at the end. Really, what sticks out to me is not that you made a sequel to one of the most beloved Disney attractions, it's that you've essentially made the quintessential EPCOT attraction. It was educational, it was entertaining, and, most importantly, it had a wow factor. Much like the space reveal in Horizons, or the planetarium reveal in SSE, I thought your Bubble Ocean scene had a very similar effect. I'm not sure why I've latched onto that one scene in particular, but an endless sea of bubbled universes sounds absolutely spectacular and awe-inspiring to me.

Really great work.
Creativity - 9/10: Tiki is very correct in saying that there isn't quite the urgency of the original, but really everything combined made for an incredible experience to me.
Realism - 8/10: WoL needs a replacement. The attraction not only works on a technical scale, but it also seems like it would fit beautifully within Future World East. The only reason this is at an 8 is because your attraction doesn't really fit in with the direction that EPCOT has been heading in. That, and your space attraction is direction next to Mission: SPACE.
Detail - 7/10: Fine amount of detail.
Presentation - 8/10: Great artwork. Really helped me picture your attraction
Total - 32/40

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Standings for the week

1. @Basketbuddy101 (66/80)
2. @IDInstitute (62.5/80)
3. @DisneyManOne (62/80)
4. @Brer Panther (52/80)
5. @mickeyfan5534 (47/80)

Sat Out
@Flippin'Flounder

Did Not Submit
@gilm0114 (2nd Strike)
@ToInfinityAndBeyond (1st Strike)

Which means congratulations @Basketbuddy101...you have become this week's Head of Household! You have 24 hours to select two houseguests to nominate for eviction. As always, please make your nominations publicly in this thread. Outgoing Head of Household @GMR710 has selected @ToInfinityAndBeyond to recieve this week's Nomination Immunity...which puts us in an interesting position going forward as there's no easy two nominations with the two people who outwardly didn't submit! As a reminder, @ToInfinityAndBeyond cannot be nominated in @Basketbuddy101's initial nominations, but may be selected as a replacement nominee should this week's Veto be played.

As always, as a reminder PLEASE INCLUDE ME IN ANY STRATEGY RELATED CONVERSATIONS!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Houseguests playing in this week's Veto Competition:
Head of Household: @Basketbuddy101
Nominees: @gilm0114, @Flippin'Flounder
Selected by Random Draw: @IDInstitute, @GMR710, @mickeyfan5534
Week Three Power of Veto Competition
"The Man, The Myth, The Legend..."

tumblr_mfq5iiB8PN1qk6dn0o1_1280.jpg

"Now Santa, are you rushing, or are you dragging? That's not my tempo, Santa. Oh, why are you doing looking down there, Santa? there's no Mars bar down there!"

I'm sure everyone on this board has a strong fondness for this man. Without Walt Disney, Imagineering, or even the concept of "theme parks" as we know them today wouldn't exist. Of course, the man's reach goes far beyond that of theme parks. He completely revolutionized animation with a calvacade of new technology that would shape the industry for decades to come.

And that's just getting started. Just think of all the personal stories in Walt's life. His upbringing under the strict rule of Elias, starting up Laugh-O-Grams with Roy, the dramatic loss of the Oswald rights that led to Mickey, Walt's good will trip to South America. What I'm getting at is the possibilities are ENDLESS for stories you could tell about the man's life. And that's exactly what you're going to do!

This week, Houseguests must pitch a film based off of Walt Disney's life. Rather it focus on his entire career, or rather a small portion of it like Saving Mr. Banks does is entirely up to you. Be sure to put emphasis on your casting and director. Unlike last Veto project, the cast of characters Walt will be surrounded by are all real people, so it's important to not just nail Walt's casting down, but also the casting of any side characters who might play a part in the story.

I'm incredibly excited about this project. Good luck houseguests. This project will be due Sunday, August 9th at 10:00 PM Eastern.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

This was a solid choice overall. The Seas with Nemo and Friends definitely isn't the big hit Disney was hoping it would be, and could stand to be replaced. One of my questions though...is the aquarium going by the wayside as well? If so I think that's a big mistake, as I feel the giant aquarium is still one of the most charming parts of the whole park...at least what I know of it as someone who's never been

Nah, the aquarium wouldn't be going anywhere. I'm not sure if Turtle Talk and the other Nemo theming would go or not.

Rather or not Disney would replace a lucrative IP with a Jules Verne attraction is a different story...Remember the Nemo sequel is coming out next year, and I believe that's a HUGE reason why Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is still around.

Well, we'd still have the musical at Animal Kingdom... Maybe this would work better in Tommorowland (where, I don't know, the only dark ride in Tommorowland is Buzz and I'm not getting rid of Buzz).

The only thing that worried me a bit was that the attraction was essentially Florida's 20k with Tokyo's ride system. While that's an interesting idea, I feel as though you could have brought it to different places, as the possibilities really are endless when it comes to Captain Nemo and his beloved Nautilus.

That probably stems from the fact that I admittedly watched a video of Tokyo's version and read up on Florida's version for inspiration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom