Nineteen Eighty-Four Competition Arena

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
e7d53dd76c820e1eceab1b19614b11c6.jpg

Basketbuddy101

The Seven Follies
Release Date: November 21st, 2016

The Seven Follies tells the story of a young Walt Disney in the 1930s. At this point in time, Walt has effectively taken the biggest gamble in animation history, and both his brother, Roy and his wife, Lillian, are displeased with his plans. The film chronicles the emotional highs and lows of the production, meticulously detailing events such as Walt setting up the animation school for his animators to the premiere at Carthay Circle Theater, which will be shot at Disney California Adventure’s own Buena Vista Street. The film will place great emphasis on its emotional values in an attempt to dig deeper into the mind of Walt Disney, something that Saving Mr. Banks teased but never fully elaborated on. Most of the screen time, naturally, will belong to Walt himself, Roy, and Lillian, as the three band together to push the film into completion.

Director: Robert Zemeckis:

What better director to take on this film? Zemeckis is capable of directing films that can be humorous at times yet emotionally-moving when it needs to be (Forrest Gump). Additionally, Zemeckis is a master of masterfully portraying different time periods and bygone eras (Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit). Here, Zemeckis will be entrusted with giving the film a distinct 1930s appearance.

Executive Producer: Kathleen Kennedy

Kathleen Kennedy is the right person for the job. Her track record as a producer speaks for itself (E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Lincoln). Kennedy has worked with Zemeckis in the past, helping to make film environments feel as alive and colorful as the film stars themselves.

Composer: Alan Silvestri: It's no secret that this is a Zemeckis project. Silvestri is the missing piece in making The Seven Follies feel the way it's meant to be felt through sound. Silvestri also has experience in giving a film's score a memorable early to mid 20th Century jazz feel (Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

Main Cast:

· Dominic Cooper as Walt Disney: Simply put, Dominic Cooper has the right look and feel for a young Walt Disney. His charm and wit is undeniable, and he can carry a great deal of emotional weight on his soldiers. The decision to cast him came primarily from his role as Howard Stark in Marvel Cinematic Universe productions.

In this scene from Agent Carter, Cooper demonstrates he's capable of delivering an emotional punch. Just imagine Maggie Gyllenhaal in place of Hayley Atwell here to see the possibilities for emotional interactions between husband and wife.

· Aaron Staton as Roy O. Disney: Staton’s work as both an actor on Mad Men and voice actor on the popular video game, L.A. Noire, make him the ideal fit for Walt’s supportive but cautious older brother. Additionally Staton has proven that he is quite capable of seamlessly becoming a character from an earlier time

· Maggie Gyllenhaal as Lillian Disney: Maggie Gyllenhaal has the right look for Walt’s conservative right-hand woman. She can be kind and nurturing but also sarcastic and frustrated when she wants to be

Supporting Cast:

· Jon Hamm as David Hand: The Supervising Director of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

· Grace Phibbs as Adriana Caselotti: The voice of Snow White herself.

· Nestor Carbonell as Joseph Rosenberg: The banker who approved Walt’s request for a loan to complete the film.

The Nine Old Men:

· Disney’s Nine Old Men will make brief appearances in their film. They will be portrayed by lower-tier actors for the sake of keeping production costs low.

Cameo:

Isabella Crovetti-Cramp as Shirley Temple:

Teaser Trailer Run-Through

Fats Waller’s “Have a Little Dream on Me” plays on the radio on a table near the corner of a studio room. Sheets of drawing paper are scattered about the floor. We see a young Walt hopping around the room energetically, his team of animators eyeing him, some of them intrigued, many of them skeptical. Walt motions to them as if he’s carrying a woman. In a close-up, he grins, spreads his arms wide and says “…and then he carries her to his castle where they live happily ever after, and that’ll be our first feature, men! What do you think?” An animator sitting near the front casually puts down his cigarette, laughs and says “Walt, you must be the second craziest son of a in this room because I’m starting to think it might actually be worth a damn.” We cut to Roy reading the New York Times to Walt in his living room. He sips his coffee and puts down the paper. “They’re calling it ‘Disney’s Folly.’ I don’t suppose you have any objections?” Walt walks over to Roy and picks up the paper. “Actually I like it. Short but sweet, whimsical. Could be my next picture.”

We cut to Lillian Disney who is sitting on the sofa with her arms folded. “I stood by you, I’ve been with you every step of the way as your wife but I always knew, Walt…I always knew you could bury all of us with something like this and dammit here it is. It's our house...” Walt stands against the window, a cigarette in his hand, his eyes looking out. “What’s a dream without faith, Lillian?” She stares at him, her lip trembling. He turns to look at her. “Just a wish”

This November…

Roy and Walt walk down the street. As he struggles to put on his coat, Roy is looking over a slip of paper. “You know, I think the idea’s growin’ on the boys. They say they’re ready to start production.” Walt puts his hat over his head and tucks his hands into his coat pockets. “You tell em they need to graduate first.” Roy stops dead in his tracks. Walt turns around and laughs. “Come on now, Roy. You should know a little training school goes a long way.” We cut to a dance studio where artists are sketching a live model dressed as snow white. As she moves, the animators trace her movements. The camera pans and zooms to Walt, who is watching over the sequence with an observable intensity.

Walt had a vision…

We see a vigorous Walt next to the animators. Visibly upset, he lectures a couple of them. “Look, boys, I know it’s a lot to ask but you’ve gotta give me something better than that. When the picture's up and the folks back home are watching, they’ll look and they’ll see, boys. Snow White…does not move like that. Hell, she barely even looks like that, now come on, tear it up. Tear it all up and start again.

That everyone else had trouble seeing…

David Hand, the film’s Supervising Director, stands with his arms on his hips looking up at the ceiling; he is standing in front of the animators and across from a disgruntled Walt. David has a drawing of the Queen in his hand. “Look, Walt, it’s one thing to ask to have the picture look good for the final show but you’re asking for a God damn miracle to fall outta the sky and into their laps!” Walt frustratingly points to the animators. “Do you think I would ask them to do something I know they couldn’t do?” David throws the paper in the air. “You’re scrapping six months of footage. I’m startin’ to wonder if you want this to get done at all.” Walt makes his way out the door. “We start cuttin’ corners and you’ll be right.”

We cut to Lillian, who has her arms stretched over Walt’s shoulders in their bedroom. “You’re quite the charmer, Mr. Disney, but sooner or later you’ll learn that not everyone sees things the way you do.” In another shot, Roy is standing in front of several sheets of paper in an office. He shakes his head. “Walt, ‘less you show the bankers what you’ve got so far, Snow White and those…seven little dwarfs of yours won’t ever see the light of day.” The camera slowly zooms into Walt, who has his back turned to Roy. Walt says nothing. For a few seconds, he seems to contemplate his brother’s words. Finally, he opens his mouth to speak....

The final shot in the trailer:

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

The Dream That He Wished: The Making of Cinderella
The Dream That He Wished is a biopic about the making of Cinderella, featuring flashbacks about setting up the Disney Brothers Studio. I chose Cinderella and the flashbacks because Walt always said it was his favorite piece of animation because he always thought of the rags to riches as representing his own success.

Poster:
pub

Director: John Lee Hancock
  • I'll have to defend myself on this one. John Lee Hancock did a near flawless job with Saving Mister Banks. Everything about his directing was perfect for the story and I'd really like to see a continuing series of biopics about the history of Disney directed by Hancock
Composer: Frank Wildhorn
  • A very underrated composer of Broadway musicals who has flighty fun scores that would fit perfectly in a movie of this sort, that would be first and forward about family.
Main Cast
John Slattery as Walt Disney
  • John Slattery would be a great choice for Walt. He has the gravitas and the ability to show a stressed man grasping for his last chance at success that Cinderella proved to be.
Aaron Tveit as young Walt Disney
  • A bit of an out of the corner choice but Tveit is a great rising star with the look for a young Walt and the screen presence of a very likable everyman and has quite the fandom that could attract a younger demographic.
Peter Capaldi as Roy Disney
  • I'm a huge fan of Capaldi and I think he'd be great as a stern but loving older brother to Walt's dreamer. Also an excuse to get Peter Capaldi in a Disney movie and could attract a lot of fans of Doctor Who.
Colton Haynes as young Roy Disney
  • Another out of the corner choice and one I admittedly don't know a lot about but casting smaller actors in the young parts seems like a good choice so as to not overwhelm the main plot of the story.
Sally Field as Lillian Disney
  • Field has the warmth and grace enough to play Lillian in some scenes akin to the scenes with P.L. Travers in her hotel room in Saving Mister Banks with Walt talking about his childhood or his relationship with his brother.
Supporting Cast
Tom Hanks as Marc Davis
  • I was really at a loss for who to play Marc Davis and I came up with this casting while watching Forrest Gump and thinking Hanks really looked like Marc Davis in pictures from the era Cinderella was made.
Rowan Atkinson as Eric Larson
  • I feel Atkinson, while mainly a comedy actor, has a very strong screen presence and could make some very fun moments for the cast and the audience.
Eddie Redmayne as Milt Khal
  • Jupiter Ascending jokes aside, Redmayne is a great actor who looks the part and has a big enough name to attract a lot of the younger demographic who saw him in Les Mis.
Raphael Sbarge as Frank Thompson
Bryan Cranston as Ollie Johnston
  • I picture these two in a fun double act that would work with these actors. Also attracting the Breaking Bad demographic with Bryam Cranston.
Kevin James as Clyde Geronimi
Travis Hammer as Hamilton Luske
David Tennant as Wilfred Jackson
  • The directors of Cinderella serving mostly minor parts, mostly in film discussions with Walt.
Erin Moriarty as Jane Masterson
  • Assistant character created for the movie, serving the same position as Dolly)
Lilly James as Ilene Woods
Susan Blakeslee as Elanor Audley
Richard Madden as William Phipps
  • Cameo rolls during filming. All have some degree of looking similar to their characters and Blakeslee could be a fun meta shoutout.
Teaser:
A slow, orchestral version of Bippity-Boppity-Boo plays while famous clips from Cinderella play as words appear as they disappear.

The storybook from the beginning of Cinderella opens.
You've heard the tale.
The bubbles from Sing Sweet Nightingale with Cinderella inside them rise up and pop
You know the story.
Anastasia and Drusella rip up Cinderella's dress
But you don't know...
The Fairy Godmother appears to Cinderella
How it was made.
Cinderella's ballgown transformation
This Christmas...
Cinderella runs away.
The orchestral version of Bippity Boppity Boo stops and a picture of Slattery and Capaldi as they appear in the movie from the back shows as the last eight notes in "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" plays.
The Dream That He Wished.

I sincerely hope you enjoyed my project and hope that you think of it as a much better showing of my abilities than my last project. Thank you.

GMR710

Just got back from a bachelor party and wanted to get something in:

Building a Kingdom

walt450.jpg

Release Date: September 22, 2017
Estimated Budget: 30 Million
The story of this film will take place during the years that Walt is design and building Disneyland.​

WaltDisneyplansDisneylandDec1954.jpg

Main Cast:

Walt Disney- Ryan Gosling
Lillan Disney- Rachel McAdams
Admiral Joe Fowler- Mandy Patakin
Roy Disney- Joel David Moore

We are still casting the minor characters!!!!!

Director- John Lee Hancock (Just like Mickeyfan I really enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks and I feel he could do another really good job using the tools he got from that move to focus more on Disney himself.)
or
Sacha Gervasi (I loved his work on the Hitchcock Biopic and I could see him doing a great job with this film as well)

Writers- John J. McLaughlin (I loved the script for Hitchcock and thought he added enough humor and drama it was a well balanced Biopic.)

Plot-

The movie starts at the premiere of Walt's latest film premiere for Peter Pan as Walt is watching the movie you see he gets a little spark of inspiration. The next day Lillian is looking for Walt only to find him out on his train. She asks him what wrong since he hasn't been the same since the premiere. He tells her the story of time they took their daughters to an amusement park. He noticed a lot how ratty and unkept it looked, how the parents looked as if they couldn't wait to leave, but he could see how much the children were enjoying themselves. He tells her how he wants to build a place where the whole family could go and enjoy it together. He tells her he wants to show her something and we cut to his office. He shows her the sketch he has of his park that he has come up with throughout the years. He feels the time is now.

Next the movie will progress through the pre planning phases Walt buying the land and the beginning of the construction of the park. Which of course has its bumps in the road which Walt tries to overcome. We then get to opening day which plays out like this: "Traffic was delayed on the two-lane Harbor Boulevard. Famous figures who were scheduled to show up every two hours showed up all at once. The temperature was an unusually high 101 °F (38 °C), and because of a local plumbers' strike, Disney was given a choice of having working drinking fountains or running toilets. He chose the latter, leaving many drinking fountains dry. This generated negative publicity since Pepsi sponsored the park's opening; disappointed guests believed the inoperable fountains were a cynical way to sell soda, while other vendors ran out of food. The asphalt that had been poured that morning was soft enough to let ladies' high-heeled shoes sink into it. A gas leak in Fantasyland caused Adventureland, Frontierland, and Fantasyland to close for the afternoon. Some parents threw their children over the crowd's shoulders to get them onto rides, such as the King Arthur Carrousel." Walt will have a bit of a break down scene but Lillian is the one to give this man the pep talk he needs. Which leads us to the second day which ends up going much smoother.
a recreation of this will be a scene in the movie

The film will end with a flash forward to Walt sitting in the Apartment above the firehouse in the park. Telling his close friends that he is looking to buy land in Florida for his next park. It cuts to him in an empty Disneyland with him walking out with Sleeping Beauty Castle in the Background we cross fade to black. We fade an open Disney World with tons of Vistors. We cut to Michael Eisner sitting in his office with plans for MGM studios in the background while he watches a the video of Walt saying it all started with a Mouse this clip fades to black and leads up to the credits.
Sorry its not the best time got the best of me but I wanted to turn something in.

DinoInstitute

PoV Challenge 3: The Man, The Myth, The Legend...

Hey guys! I saw this pretty cool thing earlier today that I thought y'all might like! I was looking around Movie Insider to check out some upcoming films, when I saw that there's a brand new movie about Walt Disney coming out early 2017! It focuses on a smaller portion of his life, like Saving Mr. Banks, and tells this very interesting story about his dream of EPCOT. I'm extremely excited for this! Here's a screenshot of the page if you guys are interested too!

2ppa5gw.png

Flippin'Flounder

The Magic Kingdom
This new feature film from Walt Disney Pictures will be about the original Disneyland resort, and will be a series of stories told by Walt himself that he saw going on there. Although all the stories will be made up for this film, it will be told as if they are true. Each of the 8 individual stories will be 7-10 minutes long, as well as a short intro and outro, for a total runtime of 1 hour 26 minutes.

1. Intro- Walt sitting in a rocking chair, getting ready to tell stories to his grandchildren
2. Opening Day- A family of 4 walking down MSUSA and turning into T-Land, the young boy is amazed at Autopia, while his older sister was excited to go ride SWA. As their dad states that he wants to go on the Jungle Cruise, the scene fades away.
3. The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room- A young couple is wandering around Adv-Land, and they start to hear tropical music. They head into that direction, and see the Tiki Room ahead of them as they enter the queue, the scene fades.
4. The Carousel- A little girl and her mom ride King Arthur's Carousel and talk about their day at Disneyland.
5. Fantasyland- This time the group is an elderly couple, who are happy to be sharing the their time together. They don't do anything except walk around and talk about how wonderful their day has been. At the end of the scene a little girl runs up to them and starts rambling about Alice in Wonderland, with her parents close behind.
6. The Hotel- There is another family of four checking into the Disneyland Hotel. After checking in their dad took the boy to the pool, while their mom took his little sister to the room. By the pool their dad sits in a lounge chair while the boy jumps in, In a little while his sister runs out and does a cannonball into the pool, with their mom clapping in the background.
7. Dumbo- This is simply two teenage sisters getting on Dumbo and riding it, when they get off the meet up with their parents (who were an elephant ahead of them)
8. Bobsleds- A timelapse video of the Matterhorn, followed by a video of two 11-12 year old girls deciding whether they want to ride or not. In the end they decide that they do.
9. Under the Sea- This clip is about a boy and his dad riding the Submarine Voyage, the little boy being scared a few times. When it's finished they hug.
10. The scene transitions to Walt hugging his grandkids, as they say goodbye and head home.

The only major cast member would be Tom Hanks reprising his role of Walt Disney, as none of the characters had very much screen time. Also, this would mark the return of the Walt Disney Pictures Logo.
Walt-Disney-Screencaps-The-Walt-Disney-Logo-walt-disney-characters-31865565-2560-1440.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@Basketbuddy101

Creativity: 6.5/10 Cooper is a name I've thrown around a lot for Walt, so that casting wouldn't be breaking any new ground.I also feel like having a Walt film about a troubled production would maybe make it too similar to Saving Mr. Banks.

Realism: 7/10 For the most part everything seems feasible. Love the casting of Nestor Carbonell. Not so sure about having two different Mad Men actors. Might be a bit of an overkill.

Detail: 8/10 Very well thought out

Presentation: 8/10 As usual, this was very well formatted with lots of good reference phots. Kudos on the trailer.

Total: 29.5/40

@mickeyfan5534

Creativity: 7/10 I think Cinderella is a bit of an underestimated movie in terms of how huge the impact was on the studio going forward and how much as riding on its success. Good job with the story. Both Howard Stark actors have been heavily compared to different stages of Walt, so it's a fairly predictable choice.

Realism: 6/10 Star studded cast to be sure. Love some inclusions, but not sure if the Nine Old Men as characters would be worth putting people like Cranston in those roles. I like Basketbuddy's approach of making them minor bit players a bit better.

Detail: 7/10 Nothing to really complain about here...

Presentation: 6/10 I didn't really care for the poster and the title was too long by a large margin. Everything was well formatted though.

Total: 26/40

@GMR710

Creativity: 6/10 Really, I don't know what the focus is here...Is it the legacy of Disneyland, or the fact that it was a trainwreck to start out with. Is comparing those two ideologies the point of the film? Didn't really connect with me here.

Realism: 7/10 I think Walt making Disneyland is a logical next movie to make, and Gosling is a frontrunner to take the role if a new Walt movie does get made.

Detail: 5/10 Like I said, the write up felt rushed, but I appreciate that you got it up in such a short amount of time!

Presentation: 7/10 Decent reference photos and videos.

Total: 25/40

@IDInstitute

Creativity: 8/10 Really interesting way to break the mold, and as a sequel to Saving Mr. Banks I can actually see this working out really well.

Realism: 6/10 The question is, would they want to turn Tom Hanks as Walt into a running "Franchise" type of deal. No knock against you for recasting Hanks as obviously the man did a fantastic job, but I always pictured Walt anthology films being different stages of his life all done by different actors.

Detail: 5/10 Would have liked more info on why you decided to go with your casting choices.

Presentation: 9/10 Definitely unique!

Total: 28/40

@Flippin'Flounder

Creativity: 8/10 This is actually a really unique way to structure a "Walt" film. The man had a distinct presence about walking around the park and having interactions with people, and this captured that in a really interesting way.

Realism: 5/10 Not sure Disney would go for this kind of format. It seems like something a more indie film company would take on. Would be perfect if Miramax were still around!

Detail: 6/10 Not a lot there but as you said, they're short scenes.

Presentation: 6/10 Slightly below average.

Total: 25/40

Standings so far:

1. @Basketbuddy101 (29.5/40)
2. @IDInstitute (28/40)
3. @mickeyfan5534 (26/40)
4. (tie) @Flippin'Flounder (25/40)
4. (tie) @GMR710 (25/40)
6. @gilm0114 (did not submit)

And now we play the waiting game with @JokersWild!

giphy.gif

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@JokersWild has asked me to please move ahead with the game. He'll be posting reviews a bit later, but for the time being I'm officially declaring @Basketbuddy101 the winner of this week's Power of Veto. Basketbuddy, as the initial Head of Household you have the power to pull off one of your nominees in either @Flippin'Flounder or @gilm0114 and replace them with another houseguest of your choice. Or you can simply choose not to use the Veto. Whatever you want to do, please announce it here on the main thread, and as soon as possible! :)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
And with that, @GMR710 and @gilm0114 are this week's two nominees. Votes will be asked for in conversation momentarily. As a reminder, with @gilm0114 not submitting this round he is on his third strike, and will become an automatic nominee should he not submit an HoH project next round (assuming he survives this vote...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom