Nielsen Streaming Ratings

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1675403056383.png

1675403075802.png

1675403094915.png

ABQ

Very late to the party when it comes to this thread, but are the streaming providers claiming these minutes were watched on their service? Knowing how Nielsen acquires its data, which is typically via an audio signal which deciphers what is being watched, it does not differentiate what is broadcasting the program. Meaning, a home media server could be playing something like Yellowstone, but it does not imply the show is being watched on Paramount+ It does, of course, help to indicate a program's popularity, but does not indicate a subscription to a service.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Very late to the party when it comes to this thread, but are the streaming providers claiming these minutes were watched on their service? Knowing how Nielsen acquires its data, which is typically via an audio signal which deciphers what is being watched, it does not differentiate what is broadcasting the program. Meaning, a home media server could be playing something like Yellowstone, but it does not imply the show is being watched on Paramount+ It does, of course, help to indicate a program's popularity, but does not indicate a subscription to a service.
The streamers aren't providing the numbers to Nielsen. Nielsen is doing their own thing.

Some providers are grousing the Nielsen isn't doing a good job and are turning to other companies or setting up their own consortium service.

But, if Nielsen greatly undercounted a very popular show, I bet that that show's provider would publicly dispute those numbers.

Netflix publishes minutes watched for its top shows, but... I can't remember exactly the issue... Netflix's way of counting watching is done differently than Nielsen's.

ABQ

The streamers aren't providing the numbers to Nielsen. Nielsen is doing their own thing.

Some providers are grousing the Nielsen isn't doing a good job and are turning to other companies or setting up their own consortium service.

But, if Nielsen greatly undercounted a very popular show, I bet that that show's provider would publicly dispute those numbers.

Netflix publishes minutes watched for its top shows, but... I can't remember exactly the issue... Netflix's way of counting watching is done differently than Nielsen's.
Right I understand how Nielsen acquires their data, as they say about characters in the parks, I'm friends with a Nielsen household. Just curious how the streaming services are utilizing the data. Especially with the Netflix plan to remove all the shared password accounts, it's interesting to see how this data correlates to paid for vs shared/pirated minutes of watching.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Right I understand how Nielsen acquires their data, as they say about characters in the parks, I'm friends with a Nielsen household. Just curious how the streaming services are utilizing the data. Especially with the Netflix plan to remove all the shared password accounts, it's interesting to see how this data correlates to paid for vs shared/pirated minutes of watching.
Up to now, the info was bragging rights.

Now, it will be essential for ad-supported tiers so that advertisers have a 3rd party verification of the number of eyes their ads will get.

tcool123

Strange World still in the top 10 too, nice to see that.
I meant series wise but yes it seems like Strange World is catching on at home - which makes you think is Disney’s strategy hurting more than anything?

Truly think that CEO should announce that films are not going to be following the pattern and elongate the stretch between release and streaming like the olden days.

winstongator

I too was once friends with a Nielsen household

winstongator

One of the advantages of streaming is that the platforms should know 100% the traffic just based on server data. I know they want to guard the info, but there should be 3rd party accounting of published data. There is no reason to have any ambiguity.

The movie that shocked me in Gustin’s list was Frozen. That’s almost 10 years old!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom