NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

darthhaider

I've heard multiple reports from Canadians saying they can't access the MDE website yet. Same goes for the UK.

When were you able to access it and for how long?
Hmm. Not entirely sure.

Definitely in February when I was setting up the App on my iPhone/iPad.
I don't recall having any issues with the website at all at that time.
Now, I can't find MDE on the Disney World site at all.

rct247

Last night one of my CM friends said they are trying to really go full force with the bands in the next few months. I was asking about APs, but I think she was speaking in general.

I'm hearing that things are going to start moving very quickly once the Spring Break/Easter Crowds leave. A cast member friend told me that there will be one last test run of Fastpass+ in April and then shortly after that it will begin being rolled out to different resorts and eventually encompass all guests by the end of summer 2013. He said if all goes as planned, you might start to see some Fastpass machines transforming into Fastpass+ kiosks or leaving certain areas all together as early as this fall in hopes of going paperless.

From what I can tell, most of the aspects of MyMagic+ are ready to go: the resort room entry, the turnstiles, the touch to pay, Photopass+, Attractions+, Fastpass+, specific interactive queues like Test Track. I would say at least 40% of today's park guests have RFID ready ticket media. (That's my guesss.) They just have to start issuing the bands to guests. For those worried about wearing one, it does sound like you can choose to only have a classic RFID card, but either way, all WDW theme parks guests will be forced with some changes. All ticket media will be RFID ready at some point because all the turnstiles will be transitioned over requiring it. Eventually, all the paper Fastpasses will also be gone. The same day of Fastpasses will still be available, but it will all be connected to the card not paper tickets. You won't need a separate PhotoPass card or separate card for Test Track. You won't be forced to share all your information or forced to use it to pay with, but just like when Disney got the biometric turnstiles, we were forced to do that as were all guests forced to switch from ABCDE ticket booklets to the system we use now. Some people will oppose, challenge, complain, or struggle with the change, but once time passes, looking back you won't see yourself going back to that old way.

bigAWL

I'm hearing that things are going to start moving very quickly once the Spring Break/Easter Crowds leave. A cast member friend told me that there will be one last test run of Fastpass+ in April and then shortly after that it will begin being rolled out to different resorts and eventually encompass all guests by the end of summer 2013. He said if all goes as planned, you might start to see some Fastpass machines transforming into Fastpass+ kiosks or leaving certain areas all together as early as this fall in hopes of going paperless.

Because everything else about this has gone as planned, right?

From what I can tell, most of the aspects of MyMagic+ are ready to go: the resort room entry, the turnstiles, the touch to pay, Photopass+, Attractions+, Fastpass+, specific interactive queues like Test Track. I would say at least 40% of today's park guests have RFID ready ticket media. (That's my guesss.) They just have to start issuing the bands to guests. For those worried about wearing one, it does sound like you can choose to only have a classic RFID card, but either way, all WDW theme parks guests will be forced with some changes. All ticket media will be RFID ready at some point because all the turnstiles will be transitioned over requiring it. Eventually, all the paper Fastpasses will also be gone. The same day of Fastpasses will still be available, but it will all be connected to the card not paper tickets. You won't need a separate PhotoPass card or separate card for Test Track. You won't be forced to share all your information or forced to use it to pay with, but just like when Disney got the biometric turnstiles, we were forced to do that as were all guests forced to switch from ABCDE ticket booklets to the system we use now. Some people will oppose, challenge, complain, or struggle with the change, but once time passes, looking back you won't see yourself going back to that old way.

I've seen a lot of discussion about these two issues, but I'm not sure I've heard anything confirmed by a Disney official. Is this info from your CM friend, or is this your guess?

I don't really see how or why they would keep the paper fastpass system along side FP+, so I am convinced it will go away. But the question of same-day FPs seems hazy to me. Will same-day simply be whatever's leftover and not claimed ahead of time (as far as 60-days in advance)? Or will there be some reserved FP times held back from early reservations and released that day? Or will whatever is reserved and held back from early reservations be doled out as "surprises" or incentives by Disney to various guests for various reasons?

darthhaider

Because everything else about this has gone as planned, right?

I've seen a lot of discussion about these two issues, but I'm not sure I've heard anything confirmed by a Disney official. Is this info from your CM friend, or is this your guess?

I don't really see how or why they would keep the paper fastpass system along side FP+, so I am convinced it will go away. But the question of same-day FPs seems hazy to me. Will same-day simply be whatever's leftover and not claimed ahead of time (as far as 60-days in advance)? Or will there be some reserved FP times held back from early reservations and released that day? Or will whatever is reserved and held back from early reservations be doled out as "surprises" or incentives by Disney to various guests for various reasons?

I must say, I am quite excited about the FP plus, but am quite concerned that my youngest child is nowhere to be found on the my Disney Experience app.

rct247

They will still distribute the same number of Fastpasses, but some of that number is reserved for preplanning and another portion for day-of guests. They are adding more Fastpass options to add to the Fastpass pool essentially.

bigAWL

They will still distribute the same number of Fastpasses, but some of that number is reserved for preplanning and another portion for day-of guests. They are adding more Fastpass options to add to the Fastpass pool essentially.
Again, saying that some will be reserved for day-of guests... is this your guess/interpretation? Or do you have this information from an official source, or someone with knowledge.

rct247

Again, saying that some will be reserved for day-of guests... is this your guess/interpretation? Or do you have this information from an official source, or someone with knowledge.

Not my interpretation, source came from friend's manager.

Goofyernmost

One does have to assume that those same people would have been at the park at the crack of dawn and gotten the same number of Fastpasses anyway. It's not like they never use FP, but now they will. Rumor has it the they will increase the number of FP's available, but even if they don't I don't see it as changing much as far as availability is concerned.

bigAWL

One does have to assume that those same people would have been at the park at the crack of dawn and gotten the same number of Fastpasses anyway. It's not like they never use FP, but now they will. Rumor has it the they will increase the number of FP's available, but even if they don't I don't see it as changing much as far as availability is concerned.

Sorry. Didn't really follow who "those same people" are that you're talking about.

What I'm wondering about is the family that wakes up at their resort in the morning and decides to go to Hollywood Studios. Right now, they can show up at the park and get a fastpass for Toy Story Mania. With FP+, will they? Or will those be all gone 60-days in advance? Or if there are some held in reserve for that day, as has been claimed, how many will still be available and who will get them? First people to log on at 7am? First people in the park? And what return times will be available?

muteki

Sorry. Didn't really follow who "those same people" are that you're talking about.

What I'm wondering about is the family that wakes up at their resort in the morning and decides to go to Hollywood Studios. Right now, they can show up at the park and get a fastpass for Toy Story Mania. With FP+, will they? Or will those be all gone 60-days in advance? Or if there are some held in reserve for that day, as has been claimed, how many will still be available and who will get them? First people to log on at 7am? First people in the park? And what return times will be available?

I think they will still be able to get TSM FPs morning of, but they will need to get there very early and they will run out much quicker than usual.

FP+ isn't magically creating additional FP capacity for attractions that already have it, it just gives a certain group of people a head start.

By design, the availability for day-of guests will be limited. There's nothing they can really do about it. To what degree, we don't know yet.

Goofyernmost

I think they will still be able to get TSM FPs morning of, but they will need to get there very early and they will run out much quicker than usual.

FP+ isn't magically creating additional FP capacity for attractions that already have it, it just gives a certain group of people a head start.

By design, the availability for day-of guests will be limited. There's nothing they can really do about it. To what degree, we don't know yet.
That's kinda what I'm saying, but expand it a little. I think that FP+ is a method of controlling crowds. I think that they will not give out as many FP's for TSM as they do for The Muppets or some other lesser attractions (you name them). And when they do, they will be spread out over the day. I think that many of the folks that currently get there at opening will be the people that utilize FP+. Basically that levels the playing field and allows others to get them as well, maybe not as many or as conveniently, but I think it will, if used properly, help control the number that rush the gates to get them now making it easier for regular guests to get to them. I don't know that, I'm just guessing, but it's as good as we have right now.

muteki

That's kinda what I'm saying, but expand it a little. I think that FP+ is a method of controlling crowds. I think that they will not give out as many FP's for TSM as they do for The Muppets or some other lesser attractions (you name them). And when they do, they will be spread out over the day. I think that many of the folks that currently get there at opening will be the people that utilize FP+. Basically that levels the playing field and allows others to get them as well, maybe not as many or as conveniently, but I think it will, if used properly, help control the number that rush the gates to get them now making it easier for regular guests to get to them. I don't know that, I'm just guessing, but it's as good as we have right now.

They have always had the capability to adjust the amount available based on various factors. To what degree they have utilized it, I don't know.

They could throughout the day open more slots at time goes on, but the people that missed it in the morning that find out more where available again in the afternoon could be a little ticked.

That, and I really don't want to be refreshing a FP+ page on my phone all day to "catch" and opening when it is available. I'd rather know up front whether or not I am going to get a FP for the rest of the day then cling to hope that one might pop up.

Goofyernmost

They have always had the capability to adjust the amount available based on various factors. To what degree they have utilized it, I don't know.

They could throughout the day open more slots at time goes on, but the people that missed it in the morning that find out more where available again in the afternoon could be a little ticked.

That, and I really don't want to be refreshing a FP+ page on my phone all day to "catch" and opening when it is available. I'd rather know up front whether or not I am going to get a FP for the rest of the day then cling to hope that one might pop up.
Sure but now they may have the ability to schedule afternoon times 60 days out. How would you know if you are signing up for FP+ and they said, all the morning ones are gone, how about 2:00 PM and do it way in advance.

jlsHouston

Aren't the MM+ entrances available at all the parks as well?

Also, I believe a number of the resorts have been converted to RFID technology for the room doors but I don't know what percentage of the resorts have been converted over.

I think this means MM+ features are available for:
- Some hotel room doors
- Theme park and water park entrances
- Touch-to-pay at some (most?, all?) locations

And what is the MM+ technology? I noticed at Thanksgiving my KKTW card just had to be touched to my door at the POLY to open it which I think was different from over the summer at the BC..

NEL

The paper used in the FP machines was generic FP - no longer the paper specific to the attraction. That could mean less investment in the paper form of FP... which could signal a demise of it.
Ohhh. I get it now. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom