Next Generation Fastpass?

What do you think about remote/advanced fast pass options?

• Love it, sounds great, about time!

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Sounds okay, I'll wait and see.

Votes: 84 38.5%
  • Hate it, dumb idea, see lots of problems!

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Not sure, don't care

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I found an interesting new patent that Disney filed in May, that could point to some big changes in the works for Fastpass at the parks. In it, they detailed a system that could be used on a tv screen or kiosk at a hotel to make advanced fastpass reservations. They also detailed a cell-phone based system that could be used to make advanced fastpass reservations. The write-up and screen flows seem to indicate the OLC (Tokyo Disney's, Oriental Land Co.) might have something to do with this, but it seems that most of the work has been done in Orlando. Also mentioned in the patent are hierarchy levels where guests staying at more expensive (deluxe) hotels might get more preferential access to advance fastpass reservations compared to those staying at a value. You can read more about and find links to the patent here on my blog.

rodserling27

I honestly don't have a problem with the current FastPass system. Is it perfect? by no means, no, but nothing will be. Is it effective? I've never had a problem with it. I don't think it's fair to offer preferential FastPasses to those who paid more money to stay at a nicer resort. But, as always, I will wait and see how this plays out before reserving judgement. (Or judgment for you Brits out there).

Master Gracey 5

I honestly don't have a problem with the current FastPass system. Is it perfect? by no means, no, but nothing will be. Is it effective? I've never had a problem with it. I don't think it's fair to offer preferential FastPasses to those who paid more money to stay at a nicer resort. But, as always, I will wait and see how this plays out before reserving judgement. (Or judgment for you Brits out there).

Kind of my opinion. Glad to see they're thinking of new ways to do the same thing and improve people's experience, but I'm not all that worried about it right now.

the-reason14

Hell nah!!! The current system works, it's not perfect but it works. I understand disney is always trying to find ways to improve upon things and thats good, but leave the fastpass the way they are. The whole thing about deluxe getting more perks than value is bull to me. If anything it should be an on site incentive if they absolutely had to include it, but separating it between the different on site categories is stupid imo.

Final thoughts, leave fastpass alone!!

JPVonDrake

I would not read too much into this. One thing to keep in mind is that Fasspass does work differently at different Disney Resort destinations. Patents applied here may be intended for use in other parks worldwide.

At Disneyland Resort Paris for example, they currently do offer different levels of the Fasspass system based on where you stay. This system was patented in the US and Japan at the same time even though it was never implimented at those destinations.

RSoxNo1

I would not read too much into this. One thing to keep in mind is that Fasspass does work differently at different Disney Resort destinations. Patents applied here may be intended for use in other parks worldwide.

At Disneyland Resort Paris for example, they currently do offer different levels of the Fasspass system based on where you stay. This system was patented in the US and Japan at the same time even though it was never implimented at those destinations.

There has been talk about this for a while (although come to think of it, I think it's primarily been Jim Hill).

Disney has been looking to tweak this for a while, and perhaps give hotel guests more of an advantage with Fastpass usage. It's possible this is all linked.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
This is old news, been around and trialed for a while.

Perhaps, but it's patented now. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, as Disney has plenty of patents they're not using (yet). Sometimes it's just to keep others from using the idea.

Tigerace81

Heres your low-cost fix to the FP system. Centralize em. Set aside a area of each land (mainly gearing the toward MK) and place 6-8 FP machines. These wouldnt be your typical insert park ticket and get your FP, it would be a touch screen interface with more options. Slide your ticket in, select the ride, and possibly even a time to come back. I would also suggest for MK to set aside an area at the gates for a small FP location that gives out FP's for the major rides like the mountains, Prates, HM, and a few others.

ddbowdoin

I like the current system... because it gives all a fair chance at the attractions. The minute they start offering even more advanced access to deluxe resort members takes away from peoples experience who don't have the means to book a 6 night deluxe stay and spend 4000 dollars.

kaos

hmmm.... my 7-night stay at the Boardwalk is costing my family a whopping $1200... not sure where the $4k comes from....

ABigBrassBand

I don't have a problem with the current FP system, but anything new is welcome. However, I think this new service should be only for Disney hotel guests, and not be a paid service that can be used outside of the World. If the latter, I can see this being exploited...

ddbowdoin

How? That's $171/night for a deluxe resort. I've seen AKL for that in low season, but Boardwalk?

yeah, trust me... I saw the numbers. I couldn't believe the prices coming out of Disneys web site for value hotels. They were 1K more than what I paid outside the park.

RSoxNo1

Heres your low-cost fix to the FP system. Centralize em. Set aside a area of each land (mainly gearing the toward MK) and place 6-8 FP machines. These wouldnt be your typical insert park ticket and get your FP, it would be a touch screen interface with more options. Slide your ticket in, select the ride, and possibly even a time to come back. I would also suggest for MK to set aside an area at the gates for a small FP location that gives out FP's for the major rides like the mountains, Prates, HM, and a few others.

I definitely agree with this. Part of this is laziness on my part, but it would definitely be more convenient if you could grab a Fastpass for an attraction without having to make the trek to that attraction.

devoy1701

Hell nah!!! The current system works, it's not perfect but it works. I understand disney is always trying to find ways to improve upon things and thats good, but leave the fastpass the way they are. The whole thing about deluxe getting more perks than value is bull to me. If anything it should be an on site incentive if they absolutely had to include it, but separating it between the different on site categories is stupid imo.

Final thoughts, leave fastpass alone!!

we've definitely had this conversation before.

But I think that if you pay more to stay on property then you can/should expect more amenities. And I have nothing wrong with those amenities extending into your actual theme park experience.

SOLISIMO

yeah, trust me... I saw the numbers. I couldn't believe the prices coming out of Disneys web site for value hotels. They were 1K more than what I paid outside the park.

You might wanna look into the vacation club, the rooms we stay in are pretty pricey but we dont pay a dime out of pocket:king:

devoy1701

I like the current system... because it gives all a fair chance at the attractions. The minute they start offering even more advanced access to deluxe resort members takes away from peoples experience who don't have the means to book a 6 night deluxe stay and spend 4000 dollars.

hmmm.... my 7-night stay at the Boardwalk is costing my family a whopping $1200... not sure where the $4k comes from....

seriously...not even a 6 night in the Contemporary with an MK room with conceirge will cost you $4,000.

You can stay 6 nights at AKL and WL for as low as $1,150, and at Saratoga or Key West for as low as $864 for 6 nights.

Unless you're getting a suite of some sort or staying conceirge during Holiday season, I'm not sure how you're getting $4,000....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom